DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Red Ajah's International Womens Week: Women of The Wheel of Time [Discussion]

Zosime

It is Robert Jordan's vast work of fiction that has brought all of us together. His ability of weaving a story so complex and alluring has captivated all of us, and there is nothing more captivating than his collection of full bodied and wholly three dimensional characters. One factor that has set his work apart from others of it's genre is his use of female characters, some of whom we love and others we absolutely hate.

Here is a place where we can discuss what female characters have had an impact on you, whether they are your favorite character or not. The Wheel of Time series is filled with strong women, and some who are not so strong, but they have left some sort of mark. So, whether your thoughts are based on the first impressions of your first read, or the conclusions of your fifth read, please feel free to share.

What female characters inspire you?

What, if any, connection do you feel with them?

Do you see yourself in any of the characters?

I have to say Nyneave has always inspired me the most because she is always so willing to stand up for what she believes. She is also very compensate and caring. She has the most nurturing character of the females we meet in WoT. Of course she has a wicked temper and a stubborn streak, but since she uses them for standing up for what is right and for fighting evil, they actually work to her advantage.

Hmm, I can see myself a bit in Egwene, and I like her character, unlike most people. She is very ambitious an achievement orientated. I must say I feel very much the same.

Ditto to all Eowyn said. I admire Nynaeve because she is so strong and caring, from the start until now. Also Suian and Egwene, and I like others that share similar traits too, but Nyn all the way!! She is the character whos personality changes the least, and I feel that underlines her stubbornness, and her strength dealing with a world that's in turmoil. She helps the people, instead of destroying, or oppressing them [badly], and even if many feel they're being bullied, in the end it's for the best. She is a great heroine and as a young woman I who is aspiring to much and expecting something of the world I can identify. I want to be strong like her when I face the world, stay stubborn in the right, honest beliefs and care for those around me (not necessarily bullying them, but you never know...some wool-headed sheepherders out there may need it ;)

Nynaeve's my big sister, so to speak ina figurative way. I feel a kinship with her challenges, and character in general. Someone I look up to, am close to, can learn from their mistakes. I know she is not a real person, but her personality is that which I can relate to most in the WoT series.

She could be from the same family, and be related to me in temperament. I am mulish when I feel I am going against something that's right, when I feel I am in the wrong. I am obstinate about what I believe in. Dad used to call me Nyn or Nynaeve even before I had known of the series, and nowadays when I am in a temper they call me that too. I tug my braid at them

:nynaeve::wub::smile:

Egwene and Min both inspire me. Egwene because she has continually taken the hard path. She doesn't cut corners or try to gain the goal by stepping on anyone in her path. Because of this, I think the allies she makes and the changes she makes will last.

Min because she has stuck with Rand through thick and thin. He's scary and hard and crazy but she is loyal only to him. She still has her own outside interests (reading all those academic books) but uses her knowledge to help her man.

Connection? Yes, probably because of my answer below!

Yes. I see a lot of myself in Min. I'm more of a background person and I'm good at supporting the people out in front. I was an awesome research assistant in grad school. I'm good at helping my hubby plan a Sunday morning service (he was a pastor until recently). I'm good at taking pieces of information and finding a good solution. I think Min is like that. Uses her skills to support the people she loves and the causes she's passionate about.

For me the woman that inspired me the most in the book was Moraine. Being headstrong and protective of what she believes is right tends me to love reading what she is doing in the books. I do, however, she a lot of myself in Faile, so I am guessing that is why I am not a big fan of hers because it is all of my "bad" qualities.

I think Nyneave- she is a passionate one and stands up for herself even when no one is with her. She knows her mistakes and try to correct them. Elayne is also an inpirational women for me. She is a leader who accepts responsiblity and helps everyone she can.

I felt a connection to Nynaeve. Try to protect someone when even they don't need it.

Nynaeve- both physically and mentaly. She wears her hair in braid and me too. She shows her temper and sometimes wish she hadn't but normally her temper is good for her.

Archived