DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Red Ajah's International Women's Week - Superbly Scientific Ladies [Discussion]

keyholder21

Intellectual thought and tenacity are two ideals that have furthered civilization and society since the beginning. After all, where would be without the wheel, without shelter, without fire, without cell phones? As approximately half of Earth's population, women throughout history have contributed to the betterment of their people. Countless women, some of whom will never be recognized for their ideas and inventions, have not only made the world a better place, but have stood up against oppressive societies, honoring the fight that their ancestors began and encouraging the rest of us to do the same. These women that came before us were brave enough to stand up for what they believed in, and we are using this week to recognize those courageous women – the named and the nameless!

For a century, International Women's Week has pushed forward knowledge about life changing women, betimes even discussing the women that we're going to talk about with you over the next two weeks. We're here to honor these women who pushed those boundaries. Those women who stood up against the men who told them they couldn't do it and simply did it anyway!

Two areas that have been particularly tepid toward women in history are Science and Technology. Science and Technology both are often considered to be a “man's” field, even in today's world where the walls between the genders are starting to come down and women are beginning to have more equal footing. Yet despite being considered a field solely for men, there are several brave women throughout history and the globe who had a passion for science and for helping others.

Before I impress and enlighten you all on a select few women scientists, I wanted to ask:

Who do you think of when you think of women scientists?

What contributions do you attribute to women in science and technology?

Marie Curie was the first one that came to my mind too, but here's one I found while doing some research for this event before going on siggy making duty. ^^

Florence_Nightingale_1920_reproduction.jpg

In 1845, Sarah Mather received a patent for the invention of a submarine telescope and lamp. This was a remarkable device that permitted sea-going vessels to survey the depths of the ocean.

I just love anything to do with nautical history and technology. ^^ Sadly I can't find too much on her life except she was married and had at least one child. But I feel certain that she must have been an interesting woman.

Agreed ladies: Marie Curie is most definitely a well known woman scientist! I feel like she er....'puts us on the map' so to speak with scientific history and women's involvement. I'll have some more info up about her in the very near future *g*.

I hadn't heard of Sarah Mather, Poet! Thank you so much for sharing :). I wish that they had more information on her, but alas, it is that way with a lot of great women in history.

There are few that have snuck by those men writing history books, women who we know a little bit more about that is. I'll have the first of my fantastic female scientists up in the morning!

Jane Goodall is one who popped into my mind. She's a British primatologist, ethologist, anthropologist, and UN Messenger of Peace. Considered to be the world's foremost expert on chimpanzees, Goodall is best known for her 45-year study of social and family interactions of wild chimpanzees in Gombe Stream National Park, Tanzania. She is the founder of the Jane Goodall Institute and has worked extensively on conservation and animal welfare issues. She helped people realize that chimps are closely linked to humans.

Jane Goodall is one who popped into my mind. She's a British primatologist, ethologist, anthropologist, and UN Messenger of Peace. Considered to be the world's foremost expert on chimpanzees, Goodall is best known for her 45-year study of social and family interactions of wild chimpanzees in Gombe Stream National Park, Tanzania. She is the founder of the Jane Goodall Institute and has worked extensively on conservation and animal welfare issues. She helped people realize that chimps are closely linked to humans.

I love Jane Goodall! The work she did the the chimpanzees amazes me! I would so love to do something like that with animals. My likes goes more toward marine life, but just to have the chance to live and observe any wildlife like she did. It give me chills. lol

Here's one:

Dr. Patricia Bath, M.D., is the inventor of the cataract Laserphacoprobe, which is the medical instrument to remove cataracts from the eye. Dr. Bath was the first Black Female Surgeon appointed to UCLA in 1975, and is credited with the founding of the Student National Medical Association along with other Howard University students, and was its first president. Together with associates and colleagues, founded the American Institute for the Prevention of Blindness and with limited funding provided free vision screening services to undeserved communities.

Dr. Bath holds several firsts:

•  
  • First African American woman surgeon at Drew Medical School
  • First Woman Program Director (Chief) of a Postgraduate training program at Drew
  • First Woman Chair of Ophthalmology in the history of the United States from 1983-1986, Drew-UCLA Residency Program
  • First Woman Faculty Ophthalmologist of UCLA Department of Ophthalmology, Jules Stein Eye Institute with her appointment in 1975
  • First Woman elected to Honorary Medical Staff of UCLA Medical Center upon her retirement in 1993
  • Elected to Hunter College Hall of Fame in 1988
  • Elected as Howard University Pioneer in Academic Medicine in 1993.

As the first African American female physician/inventor, Dr. Bath in the early part of her career devoted herself to the prevention of blindness in the United States and internationally. Her intense interest, experience and research on cataracts culminated in 1985-1986 with her invention of a new device and method to remove cataracts. With this invention, Dr. Patricia Bath was able to recover the sight of several individuals who had been blind over 30 years. As a laser scientist and inventor, Dr. Bath has five patents on a laser cataract surgery device covering the United States, Canada, Japan, and Europe.

I also love Jane Goodall – good choice Song *g*. We read her autobiography when I was in high school and I just remember thinking that what she did was amazing. Such dedication to the chimpanzees and to her craft. I am in awe, definitely.

Dar , I hadn’t heard of her, thanks! Just goes to show how these wonderful women show up below the radar – even from those of us that consider ourselves informed. Not only that, but the machines that we take for granted! I sometimes don’t even consider that somebody thought up the machine I’m using. Thank you for all the information you provided .

Here’s another awesome atypical female: Maria Winckelmann Kirch. She lived during the 1600 & 1700s and worked in the field of Astronomy. What she’s known for is discovering a comet in 1702, the first woman to do so, but she did a lot of work behind the scenes too. Her husband was a prominent Astrologer and they did a lot of their work together, with her even taking on the bulk of it when he got sick. As he was thirty years her elder, that happened early in her life. He had been an astronomer and calendar maker at the Royal Academy of Sciences in Berlin, and when he died in 1710, she petitioned to take over his position. She was refused.

Defeat wasn’t in her nature though. In 1712, Kirch Kirch accepted patronage from a family friend and became a Master Astronomer in his observatory. They produced calendars and almanacs, made observations, and published pamphlets. In 1711, she published a pamphlet in which she predicted a new comet; it was very well received. A year or two later, she came out with The Position of Jupiter and Saturn, which was another well received pamphlet with new astrological information.

Despite her obvious talent in the field, Kirch had troubles. When the family friend died, she was had to find another job. Her son became Head of the Royal Academy of Sciences' Berlin Observatory where she was taken on as an “assistant” – professor in all but name, but when the academy members started complaining, she was forced to retire. Kirch still didn’t relinquish her love of astronomy, however. She continued to work out of the public eye. Her daughters carried on this love and work after her death, leaving a legacy of scientific women.

I have to commend Kirch for sticking to her guns and working in the field anyway, despite it being touted as a “man’s” place. What do you all think of that?

Furthermore, I cringed at the fact that she discovered several things and her husband took credit for, or at least received credit for her findings. How many other things do you think have been invented or found by women throughout history, but the credit has been given to men? Anything that you’ve heard of?

I think Maria Kirch sounds like an amazing woman. It must have been really hard living back then when women couldn't do the things they love because of their sex.

I haven't heard of anything specific when it comes to men taking credit for women's discoveries, but I bet it happened a lot. I know a lot of women had to assume men's names if they wanted to publish books or in newpapers, so I bet there were a lot of men taking credit for stuff that women had done.

Thanks for your thoughts Song! I agree, Kirch was an amazing woman and she deserves much more credit than she ever received.

As promised, some information on Madame Marie Curie:

Including those above, when I ask anyone (and I tried this out at work) to name a female scientist, they instantly name Curie. And there's a reason for that.Extremely devoted to her field, Curie frequently pushed the envelope, and eventually broke it to become one of the most well known scientists to date, let alone the most famous female scientist. So, you know that she was a scientist, and you probably know that she discovered radium (and polonium!) – but what else do you know about her? Here's some more information about Madame Marie Curie:

Born in 1867 in Warsaw, Poland, Curie was a student almost from birth. She received general education from the local schools, was taught science by her father (a school teacher), and continued her studies in Paris at the Sorbonne. In 1903, she gained her PhD in Science, completing a lifelong goal. She succeeded her husband as Head of the Physics Lab shortly after, and then (following his death) his place as Professor of Physics – which was the first time a woman had ever held that position.

Her life wasn't a piece of cake, however. Much like Kirch, Curie was devoted to a field that didn't necessarily love her – at least at first. Her early research was often performed in difficult conditions, with no laboratory, and with limited time. Both she and her husband had to split their time between teaching and researching in order to survive. Despite this, though, they pressed on. The discovery of radioactivity in 1896 inspired the Curies in their research which lead to the discovery of Radium and Polonium. Mme. Curie also developed methods for the separation of radium from radioactive residues in high enough quantities to allow for careful study of its properties, its therapeutic properties in particular. Curie actively promoted the use of radium to alleviate suffering and during World War I, assisted by her daughter, Irene, she personally devoted herself to this remedial work.

Following her discoveries of Radium and Polonium, and the therapeutic properties of the former, Curie became Science's darling. In 1929 President Hoover of the United States presented her with a gift of $ 50,000, donated by American friends of science, to purchase radium for use in the laboratory in Warsaw, she was a member of the Conseil du Physique Solvay from 1911 until her death, and since 1922 she had been a member of the Committee of Intellectual Co-operation of the League of Nations. Her work is recorded in numerous papers in scientific journals and she wrote many informational texts on radioactivity and the two elements she discovered. Additionally, she received many honorary science, medicine and law degrees and honorary memberships of learned societies throughout the world. She was awarded half (along with her husband) of the Nobel Prize for Physics in 1903, for their study into the spontaneous radiation discovered by Becquerel, who was awarded the other half of the Prize. Curie was granted a second ,Nobel Prize in 1911, this time in Chemistry in recognition of her work in radioactivity. She also received, jointly with her husband, the Davy Medal of the Royal Society in 1903 and, in 1921, President Harding of the United States, on behalf of the women of America, presented her with one gram of radium in recognition of her service to science.

Marie Curie was quite a scientist, and quite a woman. She became beloved by a field that previously only enveloped men, worked in horrific conditions, and won a Nobel Prize twice over her lifetime. After reading about her life, I thought of women today and how many of us devote ourselves to our work, often taking on poor conditions or overloading ourselves. While it might be different conditions than Mme. Curie or Maria Kirch, we're still guilty of pushing ourselves to our limit (or more) for our craft. Do any of you do this? And/or what do you do to stop yourself?

Branching off that overloading – scientists tend to be very tenacious, often focusing on one thing until they get some kind of results. I think this is especially true if they are working on something that will truly better the lives of others. Can you think of anything that scientists are fervently working on right now?

Additionally, I thought about how different life in the field was for Curie than it was for Kirch. Why do you think Curie was accepted easier than Kirch?

Well, I guess it's about that time – to wrap things up.

I hope you all have learned a few things; I certainly did whilst doing the research! I now feel inspired to write a college course that centers around awesome women in the world of science/technology *g *.

Before I go (or perhaps, as I'm going) I just wanted to leave you a bit of information about some modern women who have continued Kirch and Curie's legacy by pushing the boundaries of the scientific field:

Hedy Lamarr: While not strictly modern in every sense of the word, Lamarr was one the 20th century's most important women inventors. In addition to being a famous actress, Austrian born Lamarr also patented one of the first unbreakable codes for classified messages. She, along with a co-inventor, manipulated radio frequencies in order to prevent classified messages from being intercepted by the Nazis in WWII.

Diane Pozefsky: Pozefsky has been working on technology since 1979. That was the year that she joined IBM; in 1994 she became an IBM Fellow in recognition of her work on networking architecture and development. Her work, driven by the introduction of personal computers, transformed technology to one that allowed networks to change and adapt more easily.

Linda Buck: Another Nobel Prize winner, Buck spent the majority of her school, and then career, working on olfactory receptor research. It finally paid off in 2004 when she was awarded the prestigious prize. Many laboratories use her receptors to this day, trying to dissect the mechanisms that underlie the sense of smell and how the olfactory system develops.

Thank you to everyone who responded (and those that lurked :wink:) for helping me celebrate these tenacious, strong and intelligent women; thank you for helping us celebrate women in general! Come back next year for some more celebration and information :smile::happy:.

Archived