DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Egwene Compelled by Aran'gar?

Barid Bel Medar

I have a strong feeling that Egwene has been compelled by Aran'gar. I agree with FSM on this.

I mean, her whole insistance on her being the Amyrlin Seat in tGS was a perfect example of compulsion. She would not back down, even if it cost her her life, which it nearly did. Considering it was Aran'gar and Mesaana's job to keep the two factions fighting, and taking into account Aran'gars little "massages" it stands to reason that s/he would not just give her little headaches.

I am not saying that Egwene is a pawn of the shadow now, like Graendals pets, but Aran'gar just placed a mild dose of compulsion on her mind, one that would forcce her to keep fighting against Elaida, keep her believing that she was the true Amyrlin until she died.

It was after Aran'gars little massages that Egwene becomes so insistant on her role as Amyrlin. It explains the strange contradictions we see in Egwene in tGS and ToM.

LoC, pre- Aran'gar we see Egwene tell Elayne and Nynaeve she needs people to act like friends, rather than bow and scrape to her calling her "mother" all the time. However, in ToM, she basically forces Nynaeve to bow and scrape to her even in private. Insisting Nynaeve aknowledge her as Amyrlin.

Also happens with Gawyn. She insists he aknwoledge her as Amyrlin, even in private. The man that she loves, she insists that he realises she is superior to him. I mean, if that doesnt have a ring of compulsion, i dont know what does.

No-one would know she was compelled, as it is done with Saidin. There have been no male channelers in close contact with her bar Rand, and there is good reason why he would not tell her that she was being compelled.

I mean, he is shielded, in the middle of the White Tower, surrounded by a bunch of Aes Sedai with no allies around. How would it go down, Rand, a man the Aes Sedai think is quite mad and dangerous, telling their perfect do-no-wrong hero Amyrlin (in their eyes, she is, I mean, look what she has done. ) that she is under compulsion.

1. I doubt they would believe him.

2. He has no real talent for healing, let alone unweaving compulsion, so he could do nothing about it.

3. It does not actually harm the Light per-se.

4. It would seriously undermine Egwene's leadership, something he doesnt want.

5. It would lead to distrust, and he would not be able to bargain with her as efficiantly.

So I am thinking that he will wait for the FoM to tell her about this compulsion where he is surrounded by allies, and has people who can actually heal her. Cue, Damer Flynn. I mean, he is the equivilant of Nynaeve really. He would be the perfect candidate.

FSM makes a much more convincing arguement than me, hopefully she posts here. But thats the basic outline of the theory (mine anyway)

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree that it's a possibility.

I dont know about FSM, but I dont really have any hard evidence to suggest this. But thanks, it seems to me that it is likely aswell.

I mean, it could just be that she is a total B****, personality wise (because i mean come on, who would put up with what she did to Gawyn in ToM, that is utter rubbish), I am not meaning this as Egwene bashing, she is a cool and interesting character. However, personally I would have nothing to do with her.

As much as I would like to explain away Egwene's arrogance, obstinacy, and rather distasteful disposition with something like Arangar's compulsion, I don't think that's the case. Egwene has been becoming this person for a long time- we saw the beginnings of this in TEOtW itself when she first ignores Rand and the other boys' advice to stay back and thinks they're lying and decides to act the fool by forcing herself on the leaving party, thereby placing herself in immense danger. Not to mention that she also increases the risks for the others by being a weak link(she knows no weapons and at the time has no OP control). The fool girl has simply become the idiot woman.

Two things:

The past tense is not "compulsed," it is "compelled." It's an irregular verb form. Sorry, but seeing "compulsed" over and over again was making my eyes bleed. :sad:

Secondly, I think it's fairly obvious that Aran'gar did compel Egwene during those massages, but I don't think the insistence on being Amyrlin is a reflection of that compulsion. IIRC, we're all but told that Aran'gar switched Egwene's opinions on the Oaths... which limits the AS both in their lifespans and in what they're capable of doing... and I think other minor things were twitched. Egwene's didn't really insist on remaining Amyrlin... she even told Elaida that if they both would step down, and the Tower would be Healed, Egwene would do so... which is why she was better than Elaida. Egwene was willing to step aside if there were a better option.

The insisting that Nynaeve and Elayne recognize her authority, and even Gawyn, made sense. She had to get them to recognize her authority in public because they've been ignoring her authority, undermining her position.

As much as I would like to explain away Egwene's arrogance, obstinacy, and rather distasteful disposition with something like Arangar's compulsion, I don't think that's the case. Egwene has been becoming this person for a long time- we saw the beginnings of this in TEOtW itself when she first ignores Rand and the other boys' advice to stay back and thinks they're lying and decides to act the fool by forcing herself on the leaving party, thereby placing herself in immense danger. Not to mention that she also increases the risks for the others by being a weak link(she knows no weapons and at the time has no OP control). The fool girl has simply become the idiot woman.

Mmm.

To me its not her being a fool.

Its the fact that she insists contstantly that she is the Amyrlin.

There is nothing foolish about that per-se. Not that she hasnt done foolish things, just that I dont think it is related to the compulsion.

Aran'gar and Mesaana wwere told to keep the two factions fighting.

What better way to do it than compulse Egwene to utterly believe that she had to be Amyrlin, no matter the cost.

She was about to actually invade the white tower.

No matter the rationale, that is a sign of compulsion if she is willing to actually attack the white tower, insisting she is the Amyrlin.

Of course, one could say that this was perfectly rational (although I do not think so. War is a bit too far.) but it reeks of the Shadow's involvement.

You could pretty much here the DO laughing when Byrne's army laid seige to Tar Valon.

I don't buy it. If Aran'gar was willing to sue Compulsion, why not put something more useful like "don't do anything to hunt or eradicate the Black Ajah".

I mean, her whole insistance on her being the Amyrlin Seat in tGS was a perfect example of compulsion. She would not back down, even if it cost her her life, which it nearly did. Considering it was Aran'gar and Mesaana's job to keep the two factions fighting, and taking into account Aran'gars little "massages" it stands to reason that s/he would not just give her little headaches.

Or more likely, Egwene was really brave, prideful and headstrong. Most main characters in this series don't back down, no matter the risk. And she believed she was the true Amyrlin right from the start, before she met Halima.

LoC, pre- Aran'gar we see Egwene tell Elayne and Nynaeve she needs people to act like friends, rather than bow and scrape to her calling her "mother" all the time. However, in ToM, she basically forces Nynaeve to bow and scrape to her even in private. Insisting Nynaeve aknowledge her as Amyrlin.

Now Egwene understands the political reality much better. Note that she didn't force Elayne to do that, because there was no need since Elayne was away from Tar Valon and also far less likely to forget propriety in public.

Also happens with Gawyn. She insists he aknwoledge her as Amyrlin, even in private. The man that she loves, she insists that he realises she is superior to him. I mean, if that doesnt have a ring of compulsion, i dont know what does.

Or she's just really bossy and thinks that's how an Amyrlin should treat her Warder. I think that's more likely. We've seen how she treated men before she met Halima and it wasn't a pretty sight.

IIRC, we're all but told that Aran'gar switched Egwene's opinions on the Oaths... which limits the AS both in their lifespans and in what they're capable of doing.

Nope, actually we have been told the opposite - that the reversal of Egwene's opinion was her own.

Secondly, I think it's fairly obvious that Aran'gar did compel Egwene during those massages, but I don't think the insistence on being Amyrlin is a reflection of that compulsion. IIRC, we're all but told that Aran'gar switched Egwene's opinions on the Oaths... which limits the AS both in their lifespans and in what they're capable of doing... and I think other minor things were twitched. Egwene's didn't really insist on remaining Amyrlin... she even told Elaida that if they both would step down, and the Tower would be Healed, Egwene would do so... which is why she was better than Elaida. Egwene was willing to step aside if there were a better option.

The insisting that Nynaeve and Elayne recognize her authority, and even Gawyn, made sense. She had to get them to recognize her authority in public because they've been ignoring her authority, undermining her position.

1. The oath 180 was not Aran'gars doing. Maria has confirmed that this was Suian's infulence.

2. Nynaeve and Gawyn did not undermine her authority in public, she wanted them to recognize her as Amyrlin in private a direct contradition to LoC Egwene saying that she needed someone to keep her grounded in private.

3. You do have a point about her willing to step down if there was another option, but that does not rule anything out.

The past tense is not "compulsed," it is "compelled." It's an irregular verb form. Sorry, but seeing "compulsed" over and over again was making my eyes bleed. :sad:

Haha, I know what you mean, I saw a similar thing in the "contest of wills" thread just a few minutes ago. Someone was asking about Mesaana being tortured but they spelled it "torchered." As if that wasn't bad enough, the next person to reply to the post replied using the same spelling! It hurt my soul. I didn't post anything in the thread because I didn't have anything useful to contribute but how it hurt me to read those posts.

EDIT:

I did go and mention it in the thread after all, couldn't help myself :blush:

1. The oath 360 was not Aran'gars doing. Maria has confirmed that this was Suian's infulence.

2. Nynaeve and Gawyn did not undermine her authority in public, she wanted them to recognize her as Amyrlin in private a direct contradition to LoC Egwene saying that she needed someone to keep her grounded in private.

3. You do have a point about her willing to step down if there was another option, but that does not rule anything out.

Hmmm... that's what I get for not paying enough attention. *sigh*

Yes, Nynaeve and Gawyn were directly undermining her in public. Nynaeve by simply not coming back to the Tower. Elayne has some excuse, what with the pregnancy and all... but only some. Egwene's point that a woman who practically helped raise Egwene isn't treating her like the Amyrlin Seat does reflect poorly on Egwene. Egwene's reasoning in that scene is sound. Also, the fact that Gawyn doesn't recognize that Egwene doesn't need him to protect her the way he wants/intends to, is a problem. He needs to recognize her change in position. I'm sorry, but in my opinion, Egwene was right to handle those two the way she did.

No, it doesn't rule anything out, but it does weaken your hypothesis. :wink:

Haha, I know what you mean, I saw a similar thing in the "contest of wills" thread just a few minutes ago. Someone was asking about Mesaana being tortured but they spelled it "torchered." As if that wasn't bad enough, the next person to reply to the post replied using the same spelling! It hurt my soul. I didn't post anything in the thread because I didn't have anything useful to contribute but how it hurt me to read those posts.

That's another one that kills me! I was correcting a paper for another student in a political theory class a few years ago, and the kid actually spelled it "torchered" in an academic paper at a major university. All I could do was shake my head.

Well, for those of us more attuned to numbers than words, it is painful to read about someone's opinions changing 360 degrees. Her opinion on the Oaths changed 180 degrees. If it was 360, she'd be back where she started. :smile:

ha, indeed. I didnt realize that.

Well, numbers were never my strong point. And I havent had much sleep, my posts are full of bad mistakes.

Don't worry Berid. Mistakes happen. :smile:

I'm sure people will kindly point them out with gentle humor. :biggrin:

hhaha, yeah, I dont mind really. As long as people dont get snippy about it, which I am glad to see is not the case.

anyway, hopefully it doesnt lessen the credibility of the theory :biggrin:

But yes, as I said, this is not really my theory.

Credit has to go to FarShienMael

She has a much more comprehensive theory about this, which deals with the inconsistancies that my post does not.

Edit: Oh, its Barid,not Berid. Sorry, i couldnt help myself. :tongue:

Hey there, I too have been trying to work out what exactly Aran'gar did that had any serious effect on Egwene.

The general politicing by dylana (spelling?) seemed to have more effect.

However, it couldn't have been compulsion as we have seen it because when Aran'gar it forced to flee it is mentioned as a failer by Grendeal (before Rand's attack)-as if she/he needed to be there to continue the effect-while all other compulsion is described as being laid on and having a 'set' effect.

Also, why would headachs be a side effect? i would guess it's something more like memory burning, so she couldn't solve a problem, like the too young sitters. but then I truly have no evidence for this so...But it wasn't compulsion!

no one compells the great Amyrlin, the saviour of the aes sedai. No one can. The last person to try that ended up with a broken mind and bawling like a baby.

Fanboy mode off:

seriously, I don't think so. Egwene insisting that she and not elaida is the real amyrlin cannot prove compulsion. Egwene accepted her fate long before halima showed up in salidar.

As for the elayne and nynaeve bit, you have to look from the perspective of egwene. You just raised two of your friends as aes sedai and allowed them leeway to do expeditions and stuff. That's the egwene the friend. However elayne and nynaeve allowed the friendship to override the respect the amyrlin deserves. Nynaeve was not following her orders and disregarding her. So egwene basically had to show her amyrlin side to nynaeve. Basically telling her that there's time for friendship but also time for following orders. It's like in college. My tutors were all easy going and outside college they were as friendly and welcoming and you could crack jokes with them. But you also respected them and remembered that they are still your tutors and you have to obey them.

anyways that's my take on the situation

Guest kakumei

I've been reading around for some time but just was wondering:

If a weave had been lain on Egwene by Aran'gar, wouldn't that weave have been lifted by Rand BF'ing Natrin's Barrow? And, if so, wouldn't that have likely at least introduced the seed of doubt into Egwene's mind about parts of her position?

I would think that if Aran'gar had the option of Compulsion that she wouldn't be trying to influence Egwene through her dreams, which she does not seem to have any Talent for at all. So I'm guessing that some people just aren't very good at Compulsion. The strongest 'evidence' for Compulsion was always the thing about the Oaths, and now that's been debunked, so I don't see the point really in assuming that she was Compelled.

I've been reading around for some time but just was wondering:

If a weave had been lain on Egwene by Aran'gar, wouldn't that weave have been lifted by Rand BF'ing Natrin's Barrow? And, if so, wouldn't that have likely at least introduced the seed of doubt into Egwene's mind about parts of her position?

Natrin's Barrow wouldn't have erased Halima's acts in the camp... too much time had passed. There was at about a month between when Aran'gar escaped the camp and when Rand balefired her. At least a few weeks. Rand's Balefire would have had to have been epic to undo that after so much time had passed.

It's nice to be appreciated :wub: I'd have responded sooner, but I'm about 8 hours out of phase here in the UK!

Barid has said most of it already.. but for me, there are three points:

1) I can't believe Aran'gar would have wasted an opportunity to Compel :wink: Egwene, even if s/he only applied a light Compulsion. Morgase was under a low-level Compulsion herself from Gaebril/Rahvin, and as far as most people knew, that had worked very well.

And recall that Graendal had Aran'gar as well as Delana Compel Ramshalan, to confuse Rand with a male weave (Tom Prologue, p29).

2) There is a mention of the DO not being pleased with Aran'gar for 'losing control' of Egwene al'Vere (ToM Prologue, p25), which for me tends to confirm (1).

3) For me, this one's the clincher. There's Eg's thoughts about Nyn:

Nynaeve has been around him too much, Egwene thought. She was likely caught up by his ta'veren nature. The Pattern bent around him. Those near him would begin to see things his way, would work - unconsciously - to see his will done.

That had to be the explanation. Normally, Nynaeve was so levelheaded about these sorts of things. Or... well, Nynaeve wasn't exactly levelheaded, really. But she generally did see the right way things needed to be done, so long as that right way didn't involve her being wrong.

So here we see Eg thinking that not just Rand, but the Pattern itself, has got it wrong!!!!

This is more than just arrogance, more than megalomania. It's up there with Lanfear's wish to challenge the Creator Himself. Eg hasn't noticed that, nor has she considered the possibility that she had also been drawn in by Rand's ta'veren influence to gather those armies!

So here we see Eg thinking that not just Rand, but the Pattern itself, has got it wrong!!!!

This is more than just arrogance, more than megalomania. It's up there with Lanfear's wish to challenge the Creator Himself.

Not exactly. The ta'veren effect could just as likely be negative than positive (it can be either a miraculous escape or a freak fatal accident, for example). Just because someone is caught by it, doesn't mean he'd make the right decision under its influence. So it's not that arrogant really.

And we know that at least once before Egwene herself felt Rand's ta'veren effect on her, which led to her almost telling him the location of the Tower in Exile. Yet she didn't consider "Wait, obviously the Pattern wants me to tell Rand about Salidar, so I better do it". She stuck to her guns and kept the secret. That was before she met Halima.

I don't believe Halima compelled Egwene or if she did if was a very light compulsion at worst.

First of all, Egwene had Halima around for a long time. During that time she did not behave at all like someone under serious compulsion. We've seen people under heavy compulsion like Morgase. Egwene was nothing like that. She was in full mental control at all times. It's possible that Halima did use compulsion on her but if so it was very mild compulsion. Furthermore, there are good indications that Halima must have been terrible at compulsion. she spies on Egwene in TAR and tries to find out her plans constantly. she is not good at it by her own admission - she must be near Egwene to find her dreams. there would be no need for this if she could compel Egwene effectively. She is clearly unaware of Egwene's plans for Murandians and Andorans (PoD, Ch17,18). If she was any good at compulsion she could simply ask her the way Moggy did with Elayne and Nynaeve and tell her what to do. Instead she beats Sheriam and demands that Sheriam find out what Egwene is up to (PoD, Ch 16).

The last light was failing as Sheriam approached her tiny tent, smaller even than Egwene’s. If she had not been Keeper, she would have had to share. Ducking inside, she had only time to realize she was not alone when she was shielded and flung facedown on her cot. Stunned, she tried to cry out, but a corner of one of her blankets wadded itself into her mouth. Dress and shift burst away from her body like a pricked bubble.

A hand stroked her head. “You were supposed to keep me informed, Sheriam. That girl is up to something, and I want to know what.”

It took a long time to convince her questioner that she had already told all she knew, that she would never hold back a word, not a whisper. When she was left alone at last, it was to lie curled up and whimpering from her welts, bitterly wishing that she had never in her life spoken to a single sister in the Hall.

-PoD, Ch 16

How is that consistent with someone who is compelling Egwene?

Also, Siuan has very low opinion of Halima and shoos her out of a meeting with Egwene when Halima clearly wants to stay. This happens on several occasions (PoD, Ch 15 and CoT, Ch18). If Halima was any good at compulsion she would have just compelled them both and made them tell her what they were planning. Instead she left even though she was quite angry about it.

All of this does contradict Aran'gar compelling Ramshalan at Graendal's request. But that scene must have been written by Sanderson and likely was not well researched. This is evidenced by the glaring mistake of Graendal seeing Aran'gar's compulsion weaves which is impossible since Aran'gar channels saidin.

There is a question of Egwene's headaches but I think they are most likely the result of Halima messing with Egwene's dreams, not compulsion even if some compulsion does take place. I don't think any other compelled people are ever mentioned as having such headaches.

Egwene's determination to fight Elaida in the Tower is clearly what she wants to do herself and not compulsion. It is supposed to show us the growth of her character, her becoming strong in the way of the Aiel etc. From the literary point of view this is quite obvious. A lot of introspection is given as is always the case when character growth is described in WoT. Plus a very considerable attempt is made to make Egwene look heroic in the process. I suspect Sanderson would be offended if he heard that the end result is that Egwene often comes off as a controlling bitch and people might be trying to find excuses for her by theorizing that it's not all her fault as she is under compulsion. Someone ought to ask him about it to ruffle his feathers. :biggrin:

I mean, he is shielded, in the middle of the White Tower, surrounded by a bunch of Aes Sedai with no allies around. How would it go down, Rand, a man the Aes Sedai think is quite mad and dangerous, telling their perfect do-no-wrong hero Amyrlin (in their eyes, she is, I mean, look what she has done. ) that she is under compulsion.

1. I doubt they would believe him.

2. He has no real talent for healing, let alone unweaving compulsion, so he could do nothing about it.

3. It does not actually harm the Light per-se.

4. It would seriously undermine Egwene's leadership, something he doesnt want.

5. It would lead to distrust, and he would not be able to bargain with her as efficiantly.

there is absolutely no way Rand would just let it lie if he knew that Egwene was compelled. at the very very least he would have told Nynaeve about it when she left for the tower and asked her to fix the issue. he knew very well that she could. leaving the issue unattended and letting Egwene run around with a mysterious compulsion on her is completely out of the question.

It's nice to be appreciated :wub: I'd have responded sooner, but I'm about 8 hours out of phase here in the UK!

Barid has said most of it already.. but for me, there are three points:

1) I can't believe Aran'gar would have wasted an opportunity to Compel :wink: Egwene, even if s/he only applied a light Compulsion. Morgase was under a low-level Compulsion herself from Gaebril/Rahvin, and as far as most people knew, that had worked very well.

And recall that Graendal had Aran'gar as well as Delana Compel Ramshalan, to confuse Rand with a male weave (Tom Prologue, p29).

2) There is a mention of the DO not being pleased with Aran'gar for 'losing control' of Egwene al'Vere (ToM Prologue, p25), which for me tends to confirm (1).

no, all it does is what it says - that Aran'gar lost control of Egwene. compulsion is not inferred.

3) For me, this one's the clincher. There's Eg's thoughts about Nyn:

Nynaeve has been around him too much, Egwene thought. She was likely caught up by his ta'veren nature. The Pattern bent around him. Those near him would begin to see things his way, would work - unconsciously - to see his will done.

That had to be the explanation. Normally, Nynaeve was so levelheaded about these sorts of things. Or... well, Nynaeve wasn't exactly levelheaded, really. But she generally did see the right way things needed to be done, so long as that right way didn't involve her being wrong.

This is more than just arrogance, more than megalomania. It's up there with Lanfear's wish to challenge the Creator Himself. Eg hasn't noticed that, nor has she considered the possibility that she had also been drawn in by Rand's ta'veren influence to gather those armies!

this one is the least persuasive of all. she doesn't think that the pattern is wrong - only that Rand is and him being tave'ren may be affecting those around him. all of this is quite possible in principle and we've seen Rand's tave'ren nature do just that before. Rand is well aware of it himself. He even plans to use it at FOM when he thinks that those gathered there will have a hard time saying "no" to him.

Yes, Egwene is arrogant and bull-headed in this scene but that is hardly new. It's certainly no evidence of compulsion. It's clearly plot driven. That is often the case when light-siders act irrationally. Take Gawyn's manic conviction that Rand killed his mother. It was based on a single rumor he heard. He became instantly convinced and thereby refused to consider any evidence to the contrary and demanded of Egwene and Elayne that they prove that Rand didn't do it instead of the other way around. This is so irrational as to be laughable. yet nobody suspected Gawyn of being under compulsion. This was simply plot driven. Same with Tuon's rigid refusal to see channelers as human beings. Same is with Egwene's position which is actually much more rational that in those other examples.

Amen, brother!

Two things:

Rubbish. Egwene has been out of control for the entire series. She began aserting her dominance as soon as both she and Nyn entered the tower. She was equal with Nyn, which is true, but Nyn certainly understood the Aes Sedai and their motives better than Egwene and from this point on Egwene has pretty much ignored every living soul, save Suian, who she began to ignore as soon as she became Amyrlin. Her judgement is not sound and neither was the way she reunified the tower. As the leader of the rebel camp she should never have gone to the river to be captured in the first place. She blunders off and gets captured and leaves her camp in chaos as two full sisters struggle to become Amyrlin. Also, knowing for certain that their were black sisters in the Tower, she should have accepted rescue. Instead, she blindly walks into dangerous situations, as she has for the entire series, and somehow comes out on top. Even Mat has never been as reckless as Egewene. She reminds me of a mojo free Austin Powers.

Archived