This is our new Mafia Game board, formerly known as Organized Games. The moderator of this board is Verbal32 (aka Verbal or Verbalicious if you're Wes). If there are any questions or concerns regarding this board, please feel free to PM me. I'll be happy to help in any way that I can. If the PM system is down for some reason, you can reach me at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Mafia History / Information
Mafia is a game between an informed minority and an uninformed majority. There is a wikipedia entry (click here) that details the history and origins of the game.
There is a website that contains a lot of solid information about the game and how it is played, which is a great place to start as a newbie player or mod. The site is called mafiascum, and can be found by clicking HERE. Also on this site is a solid guide to many roles you'd find within any given mafia game (click here).
Mafia Game Categories
There will be 2 types of games running on this board - Basic Mafia & Advanced Mafia.
A Basic game will contain standard mafia roles. There are no recruiting roles or complex roles used, and the mafia/town ratio will be consistent with guides found on the mafiascum site linked above (usually ~25% mafia/scum).
An Advanced game could contain any type of role you could think of, and many times will do exactly that! These games are much more complex than their basic brethren. They could contain secrets, triggers, multiple factions, recruitment - you name it. Proceed with caution. ;-)
The Mod Council
On this board, we've decided that there will not be rules for newbie players to make them play certain "newbie games" before they can jump into a more complex game. It is surely recommended that they try out Basic games first, but it is not required to play here. However, we do have rules when it comes to modding. We have implemented a mod council that will oversee the recruitment and game setup of mods that wish to mod a game on this board. The mod council currently consists of the following people:
The reason for this council is that modding is easily the hardest part about mafia. An unbalanced game can be disastrous for people's fun factor, and can completely ruin a game. In order to mitigate the risk of unbalanced games, we have a few simples rules:
1. Any mod (new or vet) may mod a Basic game by PMing Verbal with the request to be added to the Basic mod queue. I will update the queue thread and you can monitor that to know when it's your turn to mod. No more than 2 Basic games can be running at the same time.
2. To mod a Complex game, you must PM Verbal with the request similar to the above Basic games. At this point, I will place you in the queue and note it on the queue thread. Then the mod council will decide on which member will review the setup, and I will let you know who to PM the game setup to. That person will then review the game and help out with any applicable tweaks for game balance purposes. This will allow other council members the opportunity to play in these awesome games! No more than 2 Advanced games can be running at the same time.
3. At some point, a given mod will no longer be required to submit their setups to the mod council (this will be at the discretion of the council). Please understand that this is only done to ensure we have balanced games to play. We've got lots of eager mods that have wonderful and creative ideas for games, but sometimes balance takes a back seat to the WOW! factor, which we need to ensure doesn't happen. Once a mod has reached this point, all you need to do is PM Verbal with the request for placement on the Advanced queue, and I will make it happen - no further work required.
4. Please understand that the mod council is not out to ruin anybody's game. You spend a lot of time and effort to create great games, and we are here to help ensure that DM members enjoy a balanced game that will make them eager for more. If you have an issue with a game you are modding, you can PM any member(s) of the council that are not currently playing your game, and we would be happy to help out if we can. If there are ever any concerns that deal with the rules of the DM site or are conduct-related, please PM Verbal and, as the mod for this board, I will sort it out.
5. Have fun! We all love teh mafia goodness - that's why we are here. Let's work together to give people the best games we can!
Welcome to DM Mafia!
Posted 14 February 2011 - 01:43 PM
Posted 14 February 2011 - 02:17 PM
<edited to include post about Vote Tags>
Ok peeps, we have a couple new tags to play with for mafia.
Use [v ]Verbal[/v ] without the spaces to create Vote: Verbal.
Use [unvote ] without the space and also without the slash "/" to create Unvote.
Edited by Verbal32, 23 October 2014 - 01:02 PM.