This is our Mafia Game board, formerly known as Organized Games. The moderator of this board is Verbal32 (aka Verbal or Verbalicious if you're DPR/Wes). If there are any questions or concerns regarding this board, please feel free to PM me. I'll be happy to help in any way that I can. If the PM system is down for some reason, you can reach me at email@example.com.
Mafia History / Information
Mafia is a game between an informed minority and an uninformed majority. There is a wikipedia entry (click here) that details the history and origins of the game.
There is a website that contains a lot of solid information about the game and how it is played, which is a great place to start as a newbie player or mod. The site is called mafiascum, and can be found by clicking HERE. Also on this site is a solid guide to many roles you'd find within any given mafia game (click here).
Mafia Game Categories
There will be 3 types of games running on this board - Basic Mafia, Standard Mafia, and Advanced Mafia.
- A Basic game will contain standard mafia roles. There are no recruiting roles or complex roles used, and the mafia/town ratio will be consistent with guides found on the mafiascum site linked above (usually ~25% mafia/scum).
- A Standard game will contain mostly standard mafia roles. The focus of the game will still be the traditional mafia format of Basic games, but moderators may throw in a few twists (like recruitment) to make the game more interesting.
- An Advanced game could contain any type of role you could think of, and many times will do exactly that! These games are much more complex than their basic brethren. They could contain secrets, triggers, multiple factions, recruitment - you name it. Proceed with caution. ;-)
The Mod Review Process
Any new mod (if you're not sure if you're new, PM me to discuss it) that wishes to run an Advanced game must first have another experienced mod review the game for balance.
The reason for this review process is that modding is easily the hardest part about mafia. An unbalanced game can be disastrous for people's fun factor, and can completely ruin a game. In order to mitigate the risk of unbalanced games, we have a few simple rules:
1. Any mod (new or vet) may mod a Basic or Standard game by PMing Verbal with the request to be added to the Basic mod queue. I will update the queue thread and you can monitor that to know when it's your turn to mod. No more than 1 Basic or Standard game can be running at a time.
2. To mod an Advanced game, you must PM Verbal with the request similar to the above Basic/Standard games. At this point, I will place you in the queue and note it on the queue thread. You will need to confirm with me that you've had an experienced mod review the game. I reserve the right to ask you to have another mod review the game before you can run it. No more than 1 Advanced game can be running at a time.
3. At some point, a given mod will no longer be required to submit their setups to be reviewed by another mod (this will be at Verbal's discretion). Please understand that this is only done to ensure we have balanced games to play. We've got lots of eager mods that have wonderful and creative ideas for games, but sometimes balance takes a back seat to the WOW! factor, which we need to ensure doesn't happen. Once a mod has reached this point, all you need to do is PM Verbal with the request for placement on the Advanced queue, and I will make it happen - no further work required.
4. If there are ever any concerns that deal with the rules of the DM site or are conduct-related, please PM Verbal and, as the mod for this board, I will sort it out.
5. Have fun! We all love 'teh mafia goodness' - that's why we are here. Let's work together to give people the best games we can!
Finally, I leave you with a quote from a wise man:
All that really matters is that we remain a community and we all continue to fire shots at Darthe