DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Songs from the 1980s - It's a Knockout (Winner: Total Eclipse of the Heart by Bonnie Tyler)

Corki

February's music theme for the Band of the Red Hand Social Group is the music from the 1980s. You have spent the first part of the month nominating your songs to go towards the contest and fighting for the honour of being DM's and the Band's favourite song from the 1980s. Now we move into the phase where you pick the winner. Overall, you managed to nominate 18 songs in total, and I am including all of them in the contest. As a result, we are going for a slightly larger than normal contest.

Therefore, "It's A Knockout" extends to a slightly larger format this month - and this means there are 32 songs instead of the normal 16!

"It's a Knockout" - Format

For those of you who have not been involved with a "It's A Knockout" thread before, the rules are quite simple. The Band of the Red Hand is DM's travel, music and eating out Social Group, and "It's a Knockout" is a knock out competition to find out the winner of any chosen category - this time, it is the songs from the 1980s. Each day, 2 ties of 2 nominated/additional songs will be posted, along with a link so you can listen to the song if you do not know it, and all you have to do is post which of the songs in each of the ties you prefer. After a day, the votes will be counted, and the winning songs will progress to the next round, until we only have 1 song left as the winner at the end of the competition - which will be crowned the Band of the Red Hand's favourite song from the 1980s! It's very simple, so I look forward to seeing you getting involved!

So without further a-do, let the competition begin!

Please Note: I believe Americans can't see VEVO videos on YouTube. I will do my best not to post links to these videos on YouTube. If I do accidentally post a VEVO video, please let me know and I will find an alternative video.

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

RESULTS

Round 1

1. Billie Jean by Michael Jackson beat 99 Luftballons by Nena (6-2)

2. Walking On Sunshine by Katrina and The Waves beat Africa by Toto (5-3)

3. Sweet Dreams (Are Made of This) by Eurythmics beat The One I Love by R.E.M. (4-3)

4. Come On Eileen by Dexys Midnight Runners beat Dancing With Myself by Billy Idol (4-3)

5. Run to the Hills by Iron Maiden lost to Walk Like an Egyptian by The Bangles (3-5)

6. It's the End of the World As We Know It (And I Feel Fine) by R.E.M. lost to Livin' on a Prayer by Bon Jovi (3-6)

7. I Wanna Be Adored by The Stone Roses beat I Know It's Over by The Smiths (6-3)

8. Hungry Like the Wolf by Duran Duran beat Don't You Want Me? by Human League (6-3)

9. Gold by Spandau Ballet lost to Call Me by Blondie (1-3)

10. Every Breath You Take by The Police beat West End Girls by the Pet Shop Boys (3-1)

11. Just Like Heaven by The Cure lost to Total Eclipse of the Heart by Bonnie Tyler (2-3)

12. Wake Me Up Before You Go-Go by Wham! beat Battery by Metallica (3-2)

13. Take My Breath Away by Berlin lost to You Shook Me All Night Long by AC/DC (1-4)

14. Round and Round by Ratt lost to Tainted Love by Soft Cell

15. I Melt With You by Modern English beat Time After Time by Cyndi Lauper (4-1)

16. In the Air Tonight by Phil Collins beat Straight To Hell by The Clash (4-1)

Round 2

1. Billie Jean by Michael Jackson beat Walking On Sunshine by Katrina and The Waves (5-0)

2. Sweet Dreams (Are Made of This) by Eurythmics lost to Come On Eileen by Dexys Midnight Runners (1-4)

3. Walk Like an Egyptian by The Bangles lost to Livin' on a Prayer by Bon Jovi (0-4)

4. I Wanna Be Adored by The Stone Roses beat Hungry Like the Wolf by Duran Duran (3-1)

5. Call Me by Blondie beat Every Breath You Take by The Police (5-1)

6. Total Eclipse of the Heart by Bonnie Tyler beat Wake Me Up Before You Go-Go by Wham! (5-1)

7. You Shook Me All Night Long by AC/DC beat Tainted Love by Soft Cell (5-3)

8. I Melt With You by Modern English lost to In the Air Tonight by Phil Collins (4-5)

Round 3

1. Billie Jean by Michael Jackson beat Come On Eileen by Dexys Midnight Runners (7-0)

2. Livin' on a Prayer by Bon Jovi beat I Wanna Be Adored by The Stone Roses (5-2)

3. Call Me by Blondie lost to Total Eclipse of the Heart by Bonnie Tyler (1-4)

4. You Shook Me All Night Long by AC/DC lost to In the Air Tonight by Phil Collins (2-3)

Semi-Final

1. Billie Jean by Michael Jackson beat Livin' on a Prayer by Bon Jovi (3-2)

2. Total Eclipse of the Heart by Bonnie Tyler beat In the Air Tonight by Phil Collins (4-3)

3rd/4th Play-off

1. Livin' on a Prayer by Bon Jovi beat In the Air Tonight by Phil Collins (5-2)

Final

1. Billie Jean by Michael Jackson lost to Total Eclipse of the Heart by Bonnie Tyler (3-4)

THE CHOSEN SONGS

1. Billie Jean by Michael Jackson

Long live the King of Pop! The dance/R&B song became an instant worldwide hit when it was released in January 1983. It topped the charts in the UK and US, and several others across the globe. The song is well known because of its distinctive bass line, and because of Jackson's "hiccu" style vocals. The song has won many awards, including two Grammy Awards, one American Music Award and an induction into the Music Video Producers Hall of Fame.

2. 99 Luftballons by Nena

I believe this is our only non-English song in the 32 chosen songs. The song is a protest song originally recorded in German. An English version called 99 Red Balloons was also recorded. The song was born when guitarist Carlo Karges noticed balloons being released while at a Rolling Stones gig. As he saw them shifting and changing shape, he noticed how they looked like some strange spacecraft.

3. Walking On Sunshine by Katrina and The Waves

This song is considered the "crown jewel" in EMI's catalogue because it is one of EMI's biggest earners from advertisers. Also, it is estimated that royalties have earnt band members nearly $1m every year for the last 10 years. It was originally recorded in 1983, and again in 1985, when it was released as a single. It's highest charting was in Australia at number 4. In the UK, it peaked at number 8, and was the group's first top 40 hit in the US at 9.

4. Africa by Toto

I am totally shocked this failed to make VH1's Top 100 list. It topped the US Billboard in February 1983, while making number 3 in the UK. Africa has become one of the most iconic Toto songs, but nearly didn't make Toto IV, the album it was released on. Because it wasn't like the music Toto normally produced, some band members weren't happy.

5. Sweet Dreams (Are Made of This) by Eurythmics

Released by the British pop music duo Eurythmics in 1983, Sweet Dreams (Are Made of This) topped the US Billboard and reached number 2 in the UK. The song is well known for being the one that provided the group with their breakthrough into commercial success. It was also helped by the rather striking music video that accompanies the song. The song was ranked at number 356 on the Rolling Stone's The 500 Greatest Songs of All Time issue in 2003.

6. The One I Love by R.E.M.

Released in 1987, The One I Love reached number 9 on the US Billboard. On its first release, it only made it to number 51 on its initial release, but reached number 16 in 1991 on its re-release. In March 2005, Q magazine placed The One I Love at number 57 in its list of the 100 Greatest Guitar Tracks. Which explains AMD44's view, since "[he] love the guitar twangs, power chords, the big drum beats and the pure simplicity of the song".

7. Come On Eileen by Dexys Midnight Runners

Dexys Midnight Runners released Come On Eileen in 1982, when it reached number 1 in the UK and the US, where it is considered a one hit wonder. They had a previous UK number 1 in the shape of Geno. The song won Best British Single at the 1983 Brit Awards. Opening with a Celtic-style fiddle played over a drum beat, the bass guitar and keyboard soon begin. The song is well noted for its regular changes in tempo and key. The song reached #18 on VH1's Top 100 Songs of the 1980s.

8. Dancing With Myself by Billy Idol

According to AMD44, "It is not the 80's without Billy...". The song was initially recorded by Generation X in 1980 of which Billy Idol was a member. He then released it as a solo version in 1981, after recording it in 1980. Billy Idol's solo version has the crunchy guitar sound toned down from the Generation X version, giving the song overall brighter, poppier finish.

9. Run to the Hills by Iron Maiden

Run to the Hills was Iron Maiden's first single from their 1982 album The Number of the Beast. It was first single released by the band to feature new vocalist Bruce Dickinson. When analysing the lyrics, it is obvious that they relate to the violence visited upon Native Americans in the Nineteenth Century. Nominated by Imperium, he thinks it is a classic. The song has been recorded and released several times since its initial release.

10. Walk Like an Egyptian by The Bangles

Walk Like An Egyptian is a 1986 number 1 hit in 1986 for the American all-female band The Bangles. It topped the US Billboard, and reached number 3 in the UK. The song was written by Liam Sternberg while he watched people on a ferry walking awkwardly to keep their balance - and this reminded him of figures on Ancient Egyptian reliefs. The music video was nominated for Best Group Video in the 1987 MTV Video Music Awards. One of the popular scenes from the video is of Susanna Hoffs moving her eyes side to side in a close up.

11. It's the End of the World As We Know It (And I Feel Fine) by R.E.M.

It's the End of the World as We Know It (And I Feel Fine) is R.E.M.'s 1987 single. It only reached number 69 on the US chart in 1987; and it only charted at number 87 in the UK. It's probably something to do with the stupidly long name! It did manage to get to 39 on its 1991 release in the UK. AMD44 nominated it because "the song is just fun to listen to and to sing along with". A high tempo song, it is known for starting with four apocalyptic references. Do R.E.M. do happy music?

12. Livin' on a Prayer by Bon Jovi

Time to roll out the number 1 song from the 1980s according to VH1. It was the third single from their Slippery When Wet album, and was released in October 1986. It was well received on both rock and pop radio stations, and the music video received heavy play on MTV. It became the band's second consecutive number 1 on the US Billboard, and with time, has become their signature song. Like all great songs, it wasn't liked by Jon Bon Jovi. It is just as well that Richie Sambora convinced him otherwise for it has collected a host of awards and honours.

13. I Wanna Be Adored by The Stone Roses

Released as the third single from the band's debut album The Stone Roses, it was released in the US at the very end of 1989. The song was the atmospheric opener on the album. The song features Mani's recognisable bass line, John Squire's droning guitars and Ian Brown's hushed ominous vocals. Nominated by Majsju, he says "it is a key link between Madchester and the Summer of Love, and the Brit pop that would come to dominate the early 90s. And no song is more symbolic of all that than this".

14. I Know It's Over by The Smiths

Time now for another nomination by Majsju. I Know It's Over by The Smiths comes from their third studio album The Queen Is Dead. The album was released in 1986, and the song is the third track. According to Majsju, "The Smiths are mostly known for more danceable pop tunes, but for me, this song is what cemented my love for the gloomy Mancs". It certainly isn't the most cheery sounding of songs!

15. Hungry Like the Wolf by Duran Duran

Released in 1982, Hungry Like the Wolf by Duran Duran peaked at number 5 in the UK, and number 3 in the 1983 in the US. The song eventually broke into the US stream through repeated play by MTV. Filmed in the jungles of Sri Lanka, the music video evokes the atmosphere of the film Raiders of the Lost Ark, and won the first Grammy Award for Best Short Form Music Video in 1984. Nominated by Imperium, he isn't sure why he likes it so much, but "it's just one of those songs I hear on the radio and I won't flick over".

16. Don't You Want Me? by Human League

From the Human League's third album, Dare, the synthpop song Don't You Want Me? was released in late 1981. It was the UK Christmas number 1 for that year, selling more than 1.4m copies, which also made it the 25th most successful single in UK Singles Chart history. It also topped the US Billboard in 1982, and has thus made the song the band's best known and most commercially successful recording to date. The song's lyrics were inspired when lead singer Philip Oakey read a story in a "trashy tabloid". Originally intended as a male solo, it turn the song into a conflicting duet with Susan Ann Sulley as the female vocalist.

17. Gold by Spandau Ballet

Nominated by Corki, mainly because it was missing from VH1's list of Top 100 songs from the 1980s. It recently gained the vote of "Tune" in a recent "Tune or No Tune" thread. Gold became the second biggest single released by Spandau Ballet, whose music is a mix of synthpop, new wave and pop rock. Gold reached number 2 in the UK and 29 on the US Billboard.

18. Call Me by Blondie

Released in 1980, Call Me was one of the biggest chart successes for American new wave group, Blondie. It topped both the UK and US charts. The song was the main theme of the film American Gigolo. The song was originally intended for Fleetwood Mac's Stevie Nicks, but a contract agreement prevented her from recording. Instead, it was offered to Debbie Harry and Blondie. There are many different versions of this song available - and even today, over 30 years on since its release, it is awesome live!

19. Every Breath You Take by The Police

Written by Sting, Every Breath You Take became one of the biggest hits of 1983. It spent 8 weeks at the top of the US Billboard, and 4 weeks at the top of the UK charts. Sting won Song of the Year and The Police won Best Pop Performance by a Duo or Group with Vocal at the 1984 Grammy Awards. This song is considered to be The Police's signature song. It is also estimated that the song generates between a quarter and a third of Sting's music publishing income. Many people think it is a positive song - far from it, since it was written during the collapse of Sting's marriage.

20. West End Girls by the Pet Shop Boys

Bringing back the memories for Karasayl, West End Girls was written by Neil Tennant and Chris Lowe, who made up the Pet Shop Boys. Inspiration for the lyrics came from T.S. Eliot's poem The Waste Land, and focuses on class, and inner-city pressure. The song is cited as a high in the duo's career. Originally released in 1984, it wasn't until 1985 that it achieved success. Initially charting at a lowly 80 on the UK charts, it had topped the charts within 8 weeks.

21. Just Like Heaven by The Cure

Alternative rockers The Cure released Just Like Heaven in 1987. Lyrics were written by frontman Robert Smith, who got the inspiration from a past trip to the sea shore with his future wife. In the UK charts, it reached as high as number 29. Nominated by Majsju, he said The Cure were "one of the most iconic bands during the 80s, it is not easy to pick one particular song. But, for the populace, this is probably the most well known song".

22. Total Eclipse of the Heart by Bonnie Tyler

Time for a power ballad sung by the Welsh singer Bonnie Tyler. It was the first single release from her fifth studio album, Faster Than the Speed of Night. It topped many charts across the world, including the UK, the US and New Zealand. At its peak, it sold 60,000 copies per day, and approximately 6 million copies in total. For football fans, former Chelsea favourite Gianfranco Zola appears prominently in the closing scenes of the music video. Tyler's big powerful vocals probably help this perform well in polls - including number 72 in the UK's "The Greatest Number Ones Of All Time" back in November 2002.

23. Wake Me Up Before You Go-Go by Wham!

English pop duo Wham! released Wake Me Up Before You Go-Go in 1984, and it became the group's first UK number 1. It was written and produced by George Michael, and started a softer, sunnier image for the duo. Inspiration for the song came from a note written by Andrew Ridgeley (the other half of the duo) which was intended to read "wake me up before you go" but with "up" accidentally written twice, so Ridgeley wrote "go" twice on purpose. This song also appeared in soundtrack for the 2001 movie Zoolander.

24. Battery by Metallica

Battery is the opening track of Metallica's third album, Master of Puppets. In 1986, it was the second single to be released from the album. The song begins with a slow, clean guitar part, before moving into a very fast minimalist thrash metal riff that is the basis for the rest of the song. The album has the theme of control running through it, and lyrics in Battery support this. They discuss the control that anger can have over one's behaviour. The song was nominated by Imperium.

25. Take My Breath Away by Berlin

Take My Breath Away is the name of the love song from the 1986 film Top Gun, starring Tom Cruise. The song was written by Giorgio Moroder and Tom Whitlock, with Berlin, an American New Wave/Synthpop band, performing. It was a highly successful song, as it won the Academy Award for Best Original Song as well as the Golden Globe Award for Best Original Song in 1986. The song scored multiple top 5 hits across the world, including number 1 in the UK and US. It reached number 3 in 1990 when it was re-released. An iconic song from the 1980s.

26. Take My Breath Away by Berlin

Considered one of AC/DC's signature songs from their most successful album, Back in Black, You Shook Me All Night Long was released in 1980. It was a top 40 hit on the US Billboard, charting at number 35. The song is placed at number 10 on VH1's list of "The 100 Greatest Songs of the 80s". It has become a staple of AC/DC concerts, and is never off the set list. The song was nominated by Krakalakachkn.

27. Round and Round by Ratt

Round and Round proved to be the biggest hit of glam rockers' career. Nominated by Imperium, he was surprised this only came in at number 51 on VH1's list of "The 100 Greatest Songs of the 80s". He feels this is the case since it is less well known than some of the other songs on the list. He says it is a hidden gem, and "too damn catchy". The song is known for Stephen Pearcy's raspy, bluesy, yet provocative vocals, Robbin Crosby's and Warren DeMartini's twin guitar leads, Juan Croucier's thumping basslines and Bobby Blotzer's thunderous drum sounds.

28. Tainted Love by Soft Cell

Originally performed by Gloria Jones in 1965, Tainted Love shot to worldwide success through Tainted Love's 1982 cover version. It reached number 1 in the UK, and after a slow start, peaked at number 8 in the US Billboard, and stayed in the chart for an incredible 43 weeks. Soft Cell's version was slower in tempo compared to Jones' original, and was in a different key. Synthesizers and rhythm machines replaced the original's guitars, bass, drums and horns.

29. I Melt With You by Modern English

The song I Melt With You was performed by British post-punk and New Wave band Modern English. Released in 1982, it reached number 78 on the US Billboard. Due to regular air time on MTV, the song gained popularity, resulting in inclusion during the closing credits in the 1983 film Valley Girl. It was re-recorded in 1990 and re-released, reaching 76 on the US Billboard. Nominated by AMD44, he says it is "just one of those post punk, new wave songs that says 80's". Oh, and he recommends we look out for guitar player's hair!

30. Time After Time by Cyndi Lauper

Time After Time was the second single from Cyndi Lauper's album She's So Unusual. Released in January 1984, the song reached number 1 on the US Billboard in June 1984, and number 3 in the UK. After Girls Just Want to Have Fun, Time After Time is Lauper's most commercial song worldwide. The ballad was nominated for Song of the Year at the 1985 Grammy Awards. Time After Time is considered a classic of the 1980s, and has been a popular song to cover.

31. In the Air Tonight by Phil Collins

In the Air Tonight first appeared on Phil Collins' 1981 album Face Value. Though initial recorded in 1979, it wasn't released as a single until 1981. It reached number 2 in the UK on its release in January, and number 20 in the US during the summer. The song was written by Collins after divorcing his first wife Andrea. The song, especially live versions, are a great example of Phil Collins' drum skills, and he finished up as runner-up to Neil Peart in our hunt for a drummer for the Band's Dream Band.

32. Straight To Hell by The Clash

Nominated by Majsju, he points out that The Clash are considered the #1 punk band of all times by many. Released as a double A-side single with Should I Stay or Should I Go in September 1982, it is a slow, mournful ballad, in stark contrast to a lot of their catalogue. The lyrics do go on about injustices (steel mill closures, Vietnam War), so it is still keeping to the core elements of The Clash. Majsju points out that the song "marked by sadness rather than the usual anger". It has proved a popular song to sample, with the eerie bassline sampled by M.I.A for her hit single Paper Planes.

Round 1, Tie 1

Billie Jean by Michael Jackson

Long live the King of Pop! The dance/R&B song became an instant worldwide hit when it was released in January 1983. It topped the charts in the UK and US, and several others across the globe. The song is well known because of its distinctive bass line, and because of Jackson's "hiccu" style vocals. The song has won many awards, including two Grammy Awards, one American Music Award and an induction into the Music Video Producers Hall of Fame.

vs.

99 Luftballons by Nena

I believe this is our only non-English song in the 32 chosen songs. The song is a protest song originally recorded in German. An English version called 99 Red Balloons was also recorded. The song was born when guitarist Carlo Karges noticed balloons being released while at a Rolling Stones gig. As he saw them shifting and changing shape, he noticed how they looked like some strange spacecraft.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9whehyybLqU

Voting ends Monday 14th February 2011 at 11pm (GMT)

Round 1, Tie 2

Walking On Sunshine by Katrina and The Waves

This song is considered the "crown jewel" in EMI's catalogue because it is one of EMI's biggest earners from advertisers. Also, it is estimated that royalties have earnt band members nearly $1m every year for the last 10 years. It was originally recorded in 1983, and again in 1985, when it was released as a single. It's highest charting was in Australia at number 4. In the UK, it peaked at number 8, and was the group's first top 40 hit in the US at 9.

vs.

Africa by Toto

I am totally shocked this failed to make VH1's Top 100 list. It topped the US Billboard in February 1983, while making number 3 in the UK. Africa has become one of the most iconic Toto songs, but nearly didn't make Toto IV, the album it was released on. Because it wasn't like the music Toto normally produced, some band members weren't happy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=azVqekQBK8g

Voting ends Monday 14th February 2011 at 11pm (GMT)

Banders, Please Note:

Voting in "It's A Knockout" threads counts towards posting in an activity thread for points gained through the roll call. However, in order for that to qualify, you need to post and vote at least 4 times - and sign into the roll call here!.

Corki

Marshal-General

Social Group Leader

So, after 8 votes, the scores on the doors are as follow:

In the first tie, Michael Jackson's Billie Jean eased to 1 6-2 victory over Nena's 99 Luftballons.

And in the second tie, I am quite surprised to see Walking On Sunshine by Katrina and The Waves beat Toto's Africa, winning by 5 votes to 3.

The next two ties are on the way.

Round 1, Tie 3

Sweet Dreams (Are Made of This) by Eurythmics

Released by the British pop music duo Eurythmics in 1983, Sweet Dreams (Are Made of This) topped the US Billboard and reached number 2 in the UK. The song is well known for being the one that provided the group with their breakthrough into commercial success. It was also helped by the rather striking music video that accompanies the song. The song was ranked at number 356 on the Rolling Stone's The 500 Greatest Songs of All Time issue in 2003.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rJE_Sc1Wags

vs.

The One I Love by R.E.M.

Released in 1987, The One I Love reached number 9 on the US Billboard. On its first release, it only made it to number 51 on its initial release, but reached number 16 in 1991 on its re-release. In March 2005, Q magazine placed The One I Love at number 57 in its list of the 100 Greatest Guitar Tracks. Which explains AMD44's view, since "[he] love the guitar twangs, power chords, the big drum beats and the pure simplicity of the song".

Voting ends Tueday 15th February 2011 at 11pm (GMT)

Round 1, Tie 4

Come On Eileen by Dexys Midnight Runners

Dexys Midnight Runners released Come On Eileen in 1982, when it reached number 1 in the UK and the US, where it is considered a one hit wonder. They had a previous UK number 1 in the shape of Geno. The song won Best British Single at the 1983 Brit Awards. Opening with a Celtic-style fiddle played over a drum beat, the bass guitar and keyboard soon begin. The song is well noted for its regular changes in tempo and key. The song reached #18 on VH1's Top 100 Songs of the 1980s.

vs.

Dancing With Myself by Billy Idol

According to AMD44, "It is not the 80's without Billy...". The song was initially recorded by Generation X in 1980 of which Billy Idol was a member. He then released it as a solo version in 1981, after recording it in 1980. Billy Idol's solo version has the crunchy guitar sound toned down from the Generation X version, giving the song overall brighter, poppier finish.

Voting ends Tueday 15th February 2011 at 11pm (GMT)

And thanks to Talya, we don't have a tie!

In tie 3, Sweet Dreams (Are Made of This) by Eurythmics triumphed by 4 votes to 3, beating R.E.M.'s The One I Love.

And in tie 4, Come On Eileen by Dexys Midnight Runners beat Dancing With Myself by Billy Idol by 4 votes to 3.

Time for the next two ties.

Archived