DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Yellow! The New Color of Love: Millon says...What you need to know about VD

Dahmir

~ ♥ ~ Who Know's About VD with Millon ~ ♥ ~

~ Where did it originate from?

~ Who invented the VD and why is it on the 14th of February?

~ Is there any Mythology behind this day?

~ What else is known about this day besides flowers and chocolate and of course LOVE?

And any other questions that pertain to this topic can be asked. Oh and our friendly Millon will be the one to take your questions and of course inform us about what we call "VD".

That's right boys and girls! Uncle Millon is goin to share something very close to his heart. The story of VD. You see, once long ago this was something that was only shared among those who loved each other. This was something for the most intimate of people. Some people today say that VD has become too commercialized. You see it in the work place, you see it in schools, super markets. Sometimes people you least expect would give you a "VD gift"(to your great embarrassment and discomfort I am sure).

So what is the story of Valentine's Day? The dark and angry historical reason for VD is the celebration of two martyrs. Valentine of Rome and Valentine of Terni. Both brutally martyred. There really is no romantic connection for this original Saints day. The day was even removed form the Catholic calendar of Saints days though it could still be celebrated in churches.

Thank you Saint Valentine, but TODAY, we speak only of the happy gushy stuff. The first romantic myth of VD that I heard was that he was a priest who had fallen in love. When his passions were discovered he was imprisoned. While in his cell he would write letters of love on the heart shaped leaves outside of his window in his own blood as he was deprived even food or water. He would write upon the heart shaped leaves of the passion and love he had for his woman and how it was her love that kept him strong until the day he met his death.

Original Romantic myths were a lil more religious than that. In one, St Valentine was persecuted as a Christian and interrogated by Roman Emperor Claudius II in person. Claudius was impressed by Valentine and had a discussion with him, attempting to get him to convert to Roman paganism in order to save his life. Valentine refused and tried to convert Claudius to Christianity instead. Because of this, he was executed. Before his execution, he is reported to have performed a miracle by healing the blind daughter of his jailer.

In another, on the evening before Valentine was to be executed, he would have written the first "valentine" card himself, addressed to a young girl who was his beloved. The jailer's daughter whom he had befriended and healed. It was a note that read "From your Valentine."

So there, Valentine in a nut shell. From a Catholic view at least. lol There numerous other myths and legends surrounding mi amor! Pigmaleon and Galatea, Eros and Psyche, Osiris and Isis. What stories are your favorites?

Just to be clear, by "VD" you do mean Valentine's Day, right? :unsure:

I REALLY did think the silly doodoohead meant Venereal Disease as a caution to all not to do too much of the nasty this Valentine's Day. *grumbles* And I thought, aw, how thoughtful, providing both sides of the coin.

Disappointing, Millon, very disappointing.

Just to be clear, by "VD" you do mean Valentine's Day, right? :unsure:

I REALLY did think the silly doodoohead meant Venereal Disease as a caution to all not to do too much of the nasty this Valentine's Day. *grumbles* And I thought, aw, how thoughtful, providing both sides of the coin.

Disappointing, Millon, very disappointing.

Rofl! :laugh:

I have a story. I don't know if it's an actual Valentine's Day story, but it is Valentine-y (if that makes any sense :unsure ).

Anywho....

My story is about what humans used to look like. Every human had 4 legs, 4 arms, and two heads. And due to the nature of the human spirit being prone to wanting to explore and understand things beyond themselves, the gods began to feel threatened. So much so that one day they split each human in half, now each having one head, two arms, two legs....and half the soul that they did before. And it's said that this is why humans spend their days looking for the other half of their soul contained, somewhere, in their "soulmate".

The end. :biggrin:

The Romans celebrated a holiday on February 14th to honor Juno Fructifier, Queen of the Roman gods and goddesses as well as goddess of marriage. In one ritual, women would submit their names to a common box and men would each draw one out. These two would be a couple for the duration of the festival (and at times for the entire following year). Both rituals were designed to promote not only fertility, but also life generally.

So, in 469, emperor Gelasius declared February 14th a holy day in honor of Valentinus instead of a pagan goddess. This allowed Christianity to take over some of the celebrations of love and fertility which had previously occurred in the context of paganism. Pagan celebrations were reworked to fit the martyr theme — Christianity did not approve of rituals that encouraged sexuality. Instead of pulling girls’ names from boxes, both boys and girls chose the names of martyred saints from a box.

This is a reoccurring theme throughout history, where Christianity or Catholicism assimilated a pagan holiday in order to circumvent pagan worship. Christmas is a prime example of this. Historical records as well as astrological data and references from the Bible would actually place the birth of Jesus in early spring, sometime between late March and early April.

You can check out the astrological data here: http://www.firmament.com/2000years/

So, how did Christmas end up being celebrated on December 25th?

You can check that out over here: http://www.simpletoremember.com/vitals/Christmas_TheRealStory.htm

An interesting read, actually.

As for Valentine's Day, I don't do anything for it. My wife is well aware of my views on commercialized holidays. I don't need Hallmark telling me that I need to buy cards, candy and flowers for my wife. Its not romantic if you are forced into doing it by the various corporations who profit from the day's perpetuation.

I love Valentine's day for the 'camp' factor. You have every day out of the year to be romantical. On Valentine's day it's all about just obnoxious huge gifts and terrible poetry. I like having the day to go, just, over the top silly for the one you love. I like having my daughter fill out silly lil valentine cards to hand out to her classmates. Valentine's day may once have been romantic but now it is just spectacle. I love it. For example, this year, I am having a huge flower arrangement and huge teddy bear delivered to my gf while she's at work. Not really romantic but hilarious all the same lol. No, I use romance for the random moments out of the year, ya know, when it gets you out fo trouble really counts. lol

The flippin flower thing didn't flippin work out!! That's how it went. First, Amanda goes and gets sick and calls off work so she is going to miss her delivery. So, I had to tell her what's goin on. She gets suuuuper disappointed. So, I call the flower place. There's nothing they can do call UPS, as they are the ones delivering them. I call UPS, there is nothing they can do. I should call the place back and tell them that THEY are the ones who need to make the change. Then the flower place tells me there isn't anything they can do because it is so close to V-Day. Crap. So I am sittin there thinkin, 'damn, this sucks.' So I call the guy that used to do our UPS deliveries. This dude is awesome. He here's what's goin on, goes and intercepts the package and brings it to me at work. Sweet. Right? NOPE! The flippin flower place sent em some wilted ass, non-smellin perty flowers. On top of THAT, they only sent me half what I ordered! I was like 'Seriously? Come on now. You MUST be jokin'. I call the flower place back, again. This is like the 4 th time. I finally got someone who wasn't either fakin phone static (yes, really. It happened with the first caller) or snappin bubblegum in my ear. This lady was my ray of hope and hooked it up. Not only is she goin to re-order my other 12 roses, she is going to COMPLETELY re-order everything, so another order of two dozen roses will be sent...TO MY HOUSE, ON SATURDAY, with no extra cost. Which is somethign because there is an upcharge for both of those options. So, no flowers today, but gettin damn hooked up tomorrow lol. You know, this could actually be even better. Amanda was all upset that she wasn't goin to be getting a delivery, adn now she is. Sweeeet.

Archived