DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

WoT monologues

thevillagecouncil

So I have an audition coming up soon, and I will need a monologue prepared. I would love to do a monologue from WoT, but can't remember all of them or where they're at, or let alone which ones are the best. I remember my favorite one being mat complaining about what it's like to argue with a woman. What are your favorites and what chapter/book are they in? Thanks for all the help, dragonmounters! :)

I'm starting to re-read the EotW after so long. The one monologue so far that's really struck me was Moiraine's telling of Manatherendrelle. It's a beautiful story, I love it. <3

Also, I don't have the book in front of me and can't remember the chapter. It's pretty early in the book, before she and the rest leave the Two Rivers.

I'm starting to re-read the EotW after so long. The one monologue so far that's really struck me was Moiraine's telling of Manatherendrelle. It's a beautiful story, I love it. <3

Also, I don't have the book in front of me and can't remember the chapter. It's pretty early in the book, before she and the rest leave the Two Rivers.

It's Chapter 9: Tellings of the Wheel in EotW :]

yeah i'm definitely going with mat's rant about women. It's the best one i can think of and fairly humorous to boot! :D

• Matrim Cauthon, The Gathering Storm

"Women are like goats. It's like . . . Well, reasoning with a woman is like sitting down to a friendly game of dice. Only the woman refuses to acknowledge the basic bloody rules of the game. A man, he'll cheat you - but he'll do it honestly. He'll use loaded dice, so that you think you're losing by chance. And if you aren't clever enough to spot what he's doing, then maybe he deserves to take your coin. And that's that. A woman, though, she'll sit down to that same game and she'll smile, and act like she's going to play. Only when it's her turn to throw, she'll toss a pair of her own dice that are blank on all six sides. Not a single pip showing. She'll inspect the throw, then she'll look up at you and say, 'clearly I just won.' Now, you'll scratch your head and look at the dice. Then you'll look up at her, then down at the dice again 'But there aren't any pips on these dice' you'll say." 'Yes there are,' she'll say. 'And both dice rolled a one.' 'That's exactly the number you need to win,' you'll say. 'What a coincidence,' she'll reply, then begin to scoop up your coins. And you'll sit there, trying to wrap your head 'bout what just happened. And you'll realise something. A pair of ones isn't the winning throw! Not when you threw a six on your turn. That means she needed a pair of twos instead! Excitedly you'll explain what you've discovered. Only then do you know what she'll do?" "No idea, Mat." "Then she'll reach over and rub the blank faces of her dice. And then, with a perfectly straight face, she'll say, 'I'm sorry. There was a spot of dirt on the dice. Clearly you'll see they actually came up as twos!' And she'll believe it. She'll bloody believe it!" "Incredible." "Only that's not the end of it!" "I had presumed it wouldn't be Mat." "She scoops up all of your coins. And then every other wonam in the room will come over and congratulate her on throwing that pair of twos! The more you complain, the more those bloody women will join in the argument. You'll be outnumbered in a moment, and each of those women will explain to you how those dice clearly read twos, and how you really need to stop behaving like a child. Every single flaming one of them will see the twos! even the prudish woman who has hated your woman from birth - since your woman's granny stole the other woman's granny's honeycake recipe when they were both maids - that woman will side against you." "They're nefarious creatures indeed." "By the time they're done, you'll be left with no coin, several lists worth of errands to run and what clothing to wear and a splitting headache. You'll sit there and stare at the table and begin to wonder, just maybe, if those dice didn't read twos after all. If only to preserve what's left of your sanity. That's what it's like to reason with a woman, I tell you.""

Probably my favorite passage is not strictly a monologue, but then, neither is Mat's ramble about goats.

“If we could stay with what is important?” Nynaeve said tightly. “Such as Mat?” Elayne had her mourn open for a retort to Birgitte, but she closed it quickly, the red spots in her cheeks most definitely chagrin this time. “Now,” Nynaeve went on. “Will Mat be here in the morning, or is he in the same revolting state as you?”

“He might come,” Birgitte said, taking a cup of mint tea from Aviendha, who of course sat down on the floor. Elayne frowned at her a moment, then, of all things, folded up her legs and sat beside her!

“What do you mean, he might?” Nynaeve demanded. She channeled, and the chair she had been sitting in floated over to her, and if it banged to the floor, she meant it to. Drinking too much, sitting on the floor. What was next? “If he expects us to come to him on hands and knees . . . !”

Birgitte took a sip of the tea with a grateful murmur, and oddly, when she looked at Nynaeve again, she did not seem so intoxicated. “I talked him out of that. I don’t think he was really serious. All he wants now is an apology and thanks.”

Nynaeve’s eyes popped. She had talked him out of that? Apologize? To Matrim Cauthon? “Never,” she growled.

“For what?” Elayne wanted to know, as if that mattered. She pretended not to see Nynaeve’s glare.

“The Stone of Tear,” Birgitte said, and Nynaeve’s head whipped around. The woman no longer sounded intoxicated at all. “He says he went into the Stone, him and Juilin, to free the pair of you from a dungeon you couldn’t escape on your own.” She shook her head slowly, in wonder. “I don’t know that I would have done that for anyone short of Gaidal. Not the Stone. He says you gave him a backhanded thanks and made him feel he ought to be grateful you didn’t kick him.”

It was true, in a way, but all distorted. There Mat had been with that mocking grin of his, saying he was there to pull their chestnuts off the fire or some such. Even then he had thought he could tell them what to do. “Only one of the Black sisters was on guard in the dungeon,” Nynaeve muttered, “and we had taken care of her.” True, they hadn’t yet been able to figure out how to open the door, shielded. “Be’lal wasn’t really interested in us, anyway—it was just to lure Rand. Moiraine may already have killed him, by then, for all we know.”

“The Black Ajah.” Birgitte’s voice was flatter than the floor tiles. “And one of the Forsaken. Mat never mentioned them. You owe him thanks on your knees, Elayne. Both of you do. The man deserves it. And Juilin, as well.”

Blood rushed to Nynaeve’s face. He had never mentioned . . . ? That despicable, despicable man! “I will not apologize to Matrim Cauthon, not on my deathbed.”

Aviendha leaned toward Elayne, touching her knee. “Near-sister, I will say this delicately.” She looked and sounded about as delicate as a stone post. “If this is true, you have toh toward Mat Cauthon, you and Nynaeve. And you have made it worse since, just by the actions I have seen.”

“Toh!” Nynaeve exclaimed. Those two were always talking about this toh foolery. “We aren’t Aiel, Aviendha. And Mat Cauthon is a thorn in the foot to everybody he meets.”

But Elayne was nodding. “I see. You are right, Aviendha. But what must we do? You will have to help me, near-sister. I don’t intend to try to become Aiel, but I . . . I want you to be proud of me.”

“We will not apologize!” Nynaeve snapped.

“I have pride in knowing you,” Aviendha said, touching Elayne’s cheek lightly. “An apology is a beginning, yet not enough to meet toh, now.”

“Are you listening to me?” Nynaeve demanded. “I said, I will—not—apologize!”

They went right on talking. Only Birgitte looked at her, and the woman wore a smile not far from outright laughter. Nynaeve throttled her braid with both hands. She had known that they should have sent Thom and Juilin.

This. This story set the hook I swallowed during the EotW prologue. Fantastic.

"Fool, I have never been bound!" The fires of his face roared so hot that Rand stepped back, sheltering

behind his hands. The sweat on his palms dried from the heat. "I stood at Lews Therin Kinslayer's

shoulder when he did the deed that named him. It was I who told him to kill his wife, and his children,

and all his blood, and every living person who loved him or whom he loved. It was I who gave him the

moment of sanity to know what he had done. Have you ever heard a man scream his soul away, worm?

He could have struck at me, then. He could not have won, but he could have tried. Instead he called

down his precious One Power upon himself, so much that the earth split open and reared up

Dragonmount to mark his tomb.

"A thousand years later I sent the Trollocs ravening south, and for three centuries they savaged the

world. Those blind fools in Tar Valon said I was beaten in the end, but the Second Covenant, the

Covenant of the Ten Nations, was shattered beyond remaking, and who was left to oppose me then? I

whispered in Artur Hawkwing's ear, and the length and breadth of the land Aes Sedai died. I whispered

again, and the High King sent his armies across the Aryth Ocean, across the World Sea, and sealed two

dooms. The doom of his dream of one land and one people, and a doom yet to come. At his deathbed I

was there when his councilors told him only Aes Sedai could save his life. I spoke, and he ordered his

councilors to the stake. I spoke, and the High King's last words were to cry that Tar Valon must be

destroyed.

"When men such as these could not stand against me, what chance do you have, a toad crouching

beside a forest puddle. You will serve me, or you will dance on Aes Sedai strings until you die. And then

you will be mine. The dead belong to me!"

You can include more but Rand speaks in the other parts in between. Pretty impressive monologue, just heard it on audiobook.

I *LOVE* These kinds of Topics, TVC!

Many awesome already mentioned. Please allow me to submit:

1 Rand's ''He's a Darkfriend and a Dead Man!'' tirade against Fain in the woods in ACOS.

2 Moiraines speech to the 2Rivs in EOTW - of COURSE, lol!

3 Not really a ''monologue'' but the converation between Lan and Moiraine at Vandene and Aldeleas' pad in TGH.

4 Moiraine reciting the ''secret'' history of the Gray Fox to Thom in TSR.

5 Ewgwene's Slap Down of Elaida Sedai in TGS.

I bet I think of some more soon, lol.

- Fish

Archived