DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Music News from the Band of the Red Hand (February 2011)

Corki

This idea started last month, but because January is tax return time in the UK, it didn't get my full focus. Anyway, hopefully February will be better!

We have never really had a news thread dedicated to music in the past. I have posted the odd thread when I see something interesting, but I feel one thread started each month will be beneficial and a good addition to our boards. I suspect I will be the one posting predominately, but the thread is open to all to post any news relating to the world of music, for example, news of a new album, tour or band member, or maybe the sad passing of one of the greats from the music world. Any genre is fine, so I am sure there will be a wide variety, from metal to classical, rap to new age.

One thing I would ask is that if you post something, please post your source so we have something to go back to. For example, if you follow an artist on Twitter and they post something about a new album, please post the link to that tweet.

In the post below will be a summary of what has been posted, along with a link that will take you to the post here on DM. I will also do my best to post your news via the Band's Twitter account as well.

I look forward to seeing you getting involved and finding out about what is happening in the world of music!

Summary of News

A summary of all news found and posted by either Banders or DMers, along with a link to the post on this thread to allow you to go their directly:

3rd February 2011

- White Strips split

- More news on Blue representing the UK at Eurovision

6th February 2011

- The sad news on the passing of Gary Moore

12th February 2011

- Jedward to represent Ireland at Eurovision

- Beyonce to headline Glastonbury

13th February 2011

- Guitar Hero video game series is axed by Activision

The White Strips split...

From their website: http://www.whitestripes.com/

The White Stripes would like to announce that today, February 2nd, 2011, their band has officially ended and will make no further new recordings or perform live.

The reason is not due to artistic differences or lack of wanting to continue, nor any health issues as both Meg and Jack are feeling fine and in good health.

It is for a myriad of reasons, but mostly to preserve What is beautiful and special about the band and have it stay that way.

Meg and Jack want to thank every one of their fans and admirers for the incredible support they have given throughout the 13 plus years of the White Stripes’ intense and incredible career.

Third Man Records will continue to put out unreleased live and studio recordings from The White Stripes in their Vault Subscription record club, as well as through regular channels.

Both Meg and Jack hope this decision isn’t met with sorrow by their fans but that it is seen as a positive move done out of respect for the art and music that the band has created. It is also done with the utmost respect to those fans who’ve shared in those creations, with their feelings considered greatly.

With that in mind the band have this to say:

“The White Stripes do not belong to Meg and Jack anymore. The White Stripes belong to you now and you can do with it whatever you want. The beauty of art and music is that it can last forever if people want it to. Thank you for sharing this experience. Your involvement will never be lost on us and we are truly grateful.”

Sincerely,

Meg and Jack White

The White Stripes

It was actually really funny. Yesterday (2nd February) was my friends 21st birthday, and the White Stripes are his absolute favorite band ever, so his facebook status read:

So...the White Stripes just broke up on my 21st birthday. WORST. BIRTHDAY. PRESENT. EVER.

It made me laugh.

Last month, I posted to announce that the boy band Blue would be representing the UK at the forthcoming Eurovision Song Contest. There must have been so negativity, as the boys have defended their decision.

LINK: http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/12324720

Boy band Blue have defended their decision to represent the UK at this year's Eurovision song contest.

Their comments came after the group's ex-manager Daniel Glatman described their choice as "reckless insanity".

"There's been a lot of negativity but all we ask is, please hold off until you hear the song," singer Duncan James said.

The reunited group will represent the UK in the finals in Germany this May.

The four-piece, who made their name with hits like Rise and One Love, said they had been invited to be the UK's entry by the BBC six weeks ago.

But some have criticised their decision to take part in a contest that often features novelty acts.

'Best springboard'

Ex manager Glatman said: "They will have to win. Anything less and their reputation would be in tatters."

But Blue's Simon Webbe defended the band's decision:

"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. Obviously we don't agree with him (Glatman).

"We believe this is going to be the best springboard for us to come back on.

"Who are we to actually think we can just waltz back in with a song and expect everyone to like it?

"At least this way we can reach 125 million people across Europe and represent our country whilst doing so. There is no other platform like it," he said.

The band rate their also said they rate their chances of doing well in the competition because of their ability to sing live.

"We've always been strong enough to hold our own when it comes to vocals," said Webbe.

"There's this whole thing about boy bands, saying 'they can't sing'. Take That came back and proved everybody wrong and we hope we can do the same."

'Very anthemic'

Webbe added that I Can, the song written for Eurovision by members Duncan James and Lee Ryan, had a "massive sound".

"It's very anthemic. It's very positive.

"It was a no-brainer for us. This song for us we feel is Blue - this would have been our first single whether it was for Eurovision or not."

James added: "We believe it's one of the best songs to enter Eurovision in a long time."

The group formed in 2000 and since then have sold more than 13 million records, winning two Brit Awards and racking up three UK number one singles.

Sad news of the death of Gary Moore.

LINK: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-12377862

Rock guitarist Gary Moore dies

The renowned rock guitarist Gary Moore has died in a hotel room in Spain.

Mr Moore, 58, was originally from Belfast and was a former member of the legendary Irish group Thin Lizzy.

Adam Parsons, who manages Thin Lizzy, told the BBC that Mr Moore had died in the early hours of Sunday morning.

Mr Moore was originally drafted into Thin Lizzy by its singer Phil Lynott. He later gained acclaim for his solo work and was a former member of the Irish group Skid Row.

The Northern Ireland guitarist was only 16 when he moved from Belfast to Dublin in 1969, to join Skid Row, which featured Lynott as lead vocalist.

He was later brought into Thin Lizzy by Lynott to replace the departing Eric Bell, another guitarist from Northern Ireland.

Mr Bell told the BBC on Sunday he was still "in shock" at Mr Moore's death.

"I still can't believe it," he said.

"He was so robust, he wasn't a rock casualty, he was a healthy guy.

Parisienne Walkways

"He was a superb player and a dedicated musician."

Scott Gorham of Thin Lizzy said it been a pleasure to share a stage with Mr Moore.

"Playing with Gary during the Black Rose era was a great experience, he was a great player and a great guy," he said.

"I will miss him."

Niall Stokes, the editor of the Irish music magazine, Hot Press, described Mr Moore as a "genius".

The lead guitarist received critical acclaim for his work on the 1974 Thin Lizzy album, Nightlife, but would never be constrained by the music group format.

A year earlier, he had released his first solo album Grinding Stone and his virtuoso playing was to make him a recognised artist in his own right.

Although returning to Thin Lizzy briefly in the late 1970s, his solo work cotinued to garner interest and he also enjoyed UK chart success with Lynott, via singles Parisienne Walkways and Out In The Fields.

Throughout his career, Gary Moore was to embrace a range of genres including blues, metal and hard rock.

He performed on stage with a range of major artists and released 20 studio albums.

And here was me thinking the UK had gone backwards with its Eurovision choice...Ireland have gone one better!

LINK: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-12435094

Jedward to represent Ireland at Eurovision

They are the twins who lost out on X Factor glory - but Jedward have become Ireland's next Eurovision entrants with the song "Lipstick".

The duo beat four other acts on RTE's Late Late Show on Friday night and will now go through to the semi-finals of the contest in Dusseldorf in May.

It was a close race. After the jury votes Nikki Kavanagh, who performed "Falling", was in the lead.

But with the addition of the viewers' votes the brothers pulled it off.

After the results the brothers said they were "very excited".

"From the moment we start people are going to have their lipstick on.

"We just wanna do well and bring the title back to Ireland."

The Grimes brothers controversially beat Don Mescall, The Vard Sisters, Nikki Kavanagh and Bling to perform in the semi-finals of the Eurovision song contest.

Despite, a last minute change in voting rules, the brothers from Lucan in Dublin, had been the bookies' favourite to represent their country.

Originally, the rules stated that regional juries and the public were to have an equal say on who should go through to the semi-finals.

However, the juries were given two-thirds of the vote after Jedward's song was leaked online, against competition rules.

I meant to post this yesterday, as we are fast approaching festival season!

LINK: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-12428196

Beyonce to headline Glastonbury

Singer Beyonce Knowles will be one of the headline acts at Glastonbury this year, her record company has announced.

The US pop star will perform on the Pyramid Stage on the last day of the event in Pilton in Somerset, Columbia Records revealed in a statement.

"I'm pumped just thinking about that huge audience and soaking up their energy," the 29-year-old star said.

Organisers of the festival, which runs from 22 to 26 June, have yet to officially announce 2011's line-up.

Tickets for this year's event went on sale in October and sold out in around four hours.

"This really is the biggest festival in the world and I cannot wait to perform there," said Knowles.

"Everyone who attends is really appreciative of music and is in such a good mood that entire weekend."

Last year's line-up included Stevie Wonder, Kylie Minogue and Gorillaz, who stepped in when U2 were forced to pull out.

The popular computer game Guitar Hero is to be axed.

LINK: http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/12415156

Guitar Hero video game series is axed by Activision

The popular music video game Guitar Hero is being axed by the company that publishes it after nearly six years.

Activision Blizzard, which makes the Call of Duty and World of Warcraft series, says it's ditching the franchise because "the popularity of music-themed video games has faded".

The company is also cutting 500 people from its global workforce of 7,000.

Activision Blizzard has revealed that other games it's cutting will include DJ Hero and True Crime.

The company says music games are expensive to manufacture, between the licensing fees for the songs and the cost of making the hardware such as plastic guitars and microphones.

It will, however, continue to sell and support its catalogue of Guitar Hero titles.

Activision Publishing Chief Executive Eric Hirshberg said: "We simply cannot make these games profitable based on current economics."

Fourteen different versions of Guitar Hero have been released since its launch in 2005 including Guitar Hero World Tour and Guitar Hero: Warriors of Rock with celebrity specials from Aerosmith, Metallica and Van Halen.

The company says a new digital platform called Beachhead will now focus on the money-making Call of Duty franchise.

Since its launch in November, Call of Duty: Black Ops has smashed retail records and pulled in more $1 billion (£621.9m) in sales worldwide.

Last year, Viacom sold the unit behind the Rock Band video games because it was also losing money.

A Grammy Award viewing high...

LINK: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-12462960

Grammy awards watched by more than 26 million in US

This year's Grammy awards were watched by 26.66 million TV viewers in the US, its biggest audience for 11 years.

Viewing figures were up around 3% from last year's audience of 25.87m, broadcaster CBS said.

The show saw Lady Gaga emerging from a giant egg and an all-star tribute to soul queen Aretha Franklin.

Reviews for Sunday's show have been mixed, with the Hollywood Reporter's critic calling it "lousy" and "badly paced".

"The 53rd annual Grammy awards went on longer than a Bruce Springsteen concert," wrote Tim Goodman. "And not in a good way."

Yet the Los Angeles Times was more positive, saying "the line-up's generational range was impressive".

"In the end the spirit belonged to the future, as unpredictable and fragmented as it may be," wrote Ann Powers.

Country trio Lady Antebellum won five prizes, including song of the year and record of the year for their hit Need You Now.

Lady Gaga went home with three awards, as did rapper Jay-Z and soul star John Legend.

...but a low turnout for the Brit Awards.

LINK: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-12463741

Brit awards hit by ratings slump

The Brit awards suffered its lowest ratings for five years after an average of 4.8m tuned in to watch the ceremony.

ITV1's coverage was beaten by the final episode of Big Fat Gypsy Weddings, seen by an average of 6.5m on Channel 4.

On BBC One, Holby City drew an average audience of 5.6m. Last year's Brits drew an average of 5.8m viewers.

Tinie Tempah took two prizes at this year's awards - British breakthrough act and best single for Pass Out - while Take That won best British group.

The best British album gong went to Mumford and Sons for Sigh No More, while Plan B and Laura Marling were named best British male and female.

There were also prizes for Rihanna, Cee Lo Green and Arcade Fire, whose record The Suburbs won best international album.

The Canadian band also took home the award for best international group.

Tempah - real name Patrick Okogwu - had been the most nominated artist of the night with four nods.

Picking up his first award, the star said: "I want to big up God and my family for sticking by me when times are hard."

Rihanna, who also performed, landed the best international female artist trophy, while Cee Lo Green picked up the international male award.

The rapper and singer, who received his prize from Formula 1 driver Lewis Hamilton, told the audience that his heart was racing.

"I'm so excited," he added. "Thank you so much for this honour. Such a pleasant surprise."

Elsewhere Justin Bieber - the 16-year-old pop sensation who rose to fame on YouTube - took home the gong for best international breakthrough act.

Take That kicked off the show, hosted by comic actor James Corden, with a performance of their single Kidz.

All five members of the band took to the stage, accompanied by dancers dressed as riot police.

The group, who reunited with Robbie Williams last year, beat Biffy Clyro, Mumford and Sons and Gorillaz in the best group category.

On stage Mark Owen paid tribute to Williams. "Can I say, thanks for coming back mate," he said. "It's a real pleasure for the five of us to be up here."

The former boy band had also been up for best British album, along with Plan B, Tempah and The xx.

The Who's Roger Daltrey presented the best album award to Mumford and Sons.

"It's good to see the British music industry still has enough money for a good booze-up", he said before before handing the prize over.

Accepting the trophy, Marcus Mumford said: "This is very bizarre, very strange. Thank you very much indeed. We are very honoured, very humbled."

Ellie Goulding and Mark Ronson presented Jessie J with the Critics' Choice prize.

The Essex-born singer, currently number one in the singles chart with Price Tag, is the fourth consecutive female to take home the gong.

Speaking backstage, the star said: "Pop stands for popular. I want to be a pop icon and take Britain across the world."

Adele, Plan B and Tempah were among the acts who performed at the event, while Cee Lo Green and Paloma Faith closed the ceremony.

All performances from the show - which took place at London's O2 arena for the first time - have been made available for fans to buy on the iTunes website.

Profits from the downloads will be donated to the Brits Trust, the awards' charity partner.

ORG points for Feb 2011 done to here.

~Jea

Archived