DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Sleepless in the Waste

Kathleen

Adai yawned as she made her way to meet with the Wise One. She had stayed up the whole night before and the sun was now setting on the new day. Not only had she been told she needed to stay up for the two days, but she had been pushed harder physically all day long. Running messages back and forth between Wise Ones who normally would have met to speak of such idle things, having to run there and back, not walking. Anything at all that could drain her of energy and by the time the sun started to set Adia was more than ready to fall asleep. Though she knew she was only starting the real challenge.

She arrived at the place she had been told to meet at sundown just as the last view of the sun blinked out over the horizon. Adai knew why she was meeting there, but what exactly they would be doing she did not yet know. She wasn't sure if the knot in her stomach was excitement or fear, but it was a knot and it wouldn't help. The unknown always made her a little tense, but she reminded herself that every common thing was once unknown. The world of dreams was unknown to her, but she would have a guide to show her around. She let out a quiet nervous sigh and then she stepped in the room with the Wise One to start her first lesson on how to dreamwalk.

Ooc: Sorry Kat! For some reason I had it in my head that Myst needed to post first. D'oh!

---

There was a wooden post lodged in the dirt, about a mile from her greatmother's tent. It was just sitting out there in the ground, nothing around it, no obvious meaning. Her greatmother and other Wise Ones claimed they used it for "shaping," whatever that meant. Rixan had wanted groan at the older woman as she instructed her to jog there and back, but she maintained a rather stoic face and started running. The dust that had settled around the post kicked up again as Rixan jogged from the tent, covering her in a sheet of brown and red powder. Sneezing, Rixan made her way back until she was standing in front of her greatmother and a set of other Wise Ones, three of them, ranging in age. The youngest, nearing forty, held her mouth in a permanent scowl, seeming to look down at everyone for everything. She sniffed at Rixan's quick acceptance of her task: that she was ordered her to run back and forth between the tent and this post if she found herself with any free time that day. The girl nodded, already tired, and turned around to jog back to it. She barely saw the satisfactory nod from her greatmother. Heart swelling with pride at that, she picked up the pace a little. The Wise Ones were gone as she turned the post, however.

Rixan jogged back and forth, back and forth to the post throughout the day. It had been a tiring day on its own; more so with the post jogging to which she'd been assigned. As she jogged to the lonely post for the eighty-first time that day, she yawned. That's how she had come to think of the post, as lonely. She was simply visiting it; it kept her from tearing the bloody thing out of the ground. She'd memorized everything about it, all the rings on the top, that there was a knob about a third of the way down it that stuck out toward the east, that was slightly bent to the South and provided a tiny strip of shade that a lizard had settled in for the day. In fact, she'd had to eat her midmorning meal whilst running to and fro - apparently sitting to eat was considering too much 'free' time. It didn't necessary bother Rix, but all the extra effort on top of working all through the night was a bit tiring. She had been forbidden to sleep, inside caring for the various sweat tents and then making a bracelet for the newest Maiden.

It will be worth it tonight she thought, running back to the tent as the sun sloped suddenly downward. Altering her course due to the time, Rixan jogged halfway across the camp to another tent. The flaps stood open, light pouring out onto the rapidly darkening ground. Slowing, the girl waited a moment before entering. She was slightly nervous, but more excited. It had been proven that she could Dreamwalk and now she was about to find out what that was all about.

Edited by keyholder21

• 1 month later...

The hold was large, expansive even. She looked out over it, her shoufa wrapped around her head to block the chilling winds of on setting night in the Three-fold land. She was uneasy as of late, almost snappish and short with others. She had twice earned toh this week, and her face still reddened slightly at having met it. Though proudly she had done so, and now it was gone, forgotten as if never to have existed. That was the way of Aiel, toh was only accepted if recognized; and once paid it was forgotten and impolite to bring up again.

Turning, her skirts of tradition algode hardly made noise. She was still spry, despite her years. She was not as old as some of the Wise Ones but she was not freshly accepted either. As day fell she made her way to a training tent, safely within the Hold's perimeter. She went into the tent, looking around. The top had a hole, vented to release smoke. For light a few candles sat about, and a fire was lit in the center, a fire of saidar. Wood was precious, and not wasted needlessly. She released the fire weave, tied by another Wise One, and wove one of her own, setting it to stay without requiring her attention.

The pillows and rugs were average, used by those who taught here. The pillows were large and comfortable, and the overall setting was calming. It was spoiled a bit as a woman appeared, through open flaps. She was so haggard she looked as if she might fall over; Nephuria did not acknowledge her tiredness, it was honorable to remain determined while weary. The job had to be done. She motioned for the woman to sit, as a second woman walked into the tent. She was covered with dust, and Nephuria considered blowing her clean with Air, but decided against it. It was shameful to display abilities others did not have in such a manner.

As she motioned the second apprentice to a pillow, she smiled at them; pouring each a cup of water. "Be welcome to share shade with me Apprentices. It pleases me to see you this night, and I am even more excited over the material which we will go over."

The Wise One was calm, but her voice was warm her eyes animated. It was obvious she was a caring person, one prone to feeling...well feeling as much as an Aiel could be expected to show.

She remembered her own time at the place which they were now, bodies exhausted, unsure how much longer they could sit up. She had known what worked to cure her, and she hoped it would be enough to re-awaken them. The idea at learning to do something new, and remarkable.

"You are here for Dreamwalking lessons, but before we jump into an adder pit, let us first learn the rules of the den, yes? I would have you both introduce yourselves to me, so that we may know one another better. I am Nephuria Sul'ron Raiden, and you would be?" She motioned to both girls in turn.

Nephuria Sul'ron Raiden

Wise One

Edited by Amore

Adai smiled at the Wise One and fought of the urge to run to the large pillow and dive down into it. She did go to it and slowly lower herself into it. She tried to ignore how wonderful it felt to sit, and sink down into the soft material. She hadn't let herself sit still for the past several hours for fear she would drift off to sleep. As she sat she could feel her muscles relaxing and her eyes were getting more and more close to closing but the sound of the Wise One's voice kept her from drifting off. Adia glady accepted the cup of water. The cool liquid flowing down through her body helped her come back alert. Lifting and lowering the cup as the Wise One spoke helped as well.

"You are here for Dreamwalking lessons, but before we jump into an adder pit, let us first learn the rules of the den, yes? I would have you both introduce yourselves to me, so that we may know one another better. I am Nephuria Sul'ron Raiden, and you would be?" The Wise One turned to Adai and she lowered cup from her lip in such a snap that she almost spilled some. Cheeks reddening, Adai spoke, "Thank you for your water and your time here with us this night. I am Adailinra Desn, but most call me Adai." Her cheeks returned to their natural colour and she turned to the apprentice who would be sharing this experience with her.

Adailinra Desn

~ WO-to-be

• 2 months later...

The inside of the tent was exactly as Rixan was expecting, and yet not at all. There was a fire in the center with a teapot nestled on the coals; there were pillows on which to sit, and a Wise One awaiting her. The fire, however, had no wood in the midst. It was pure and orange in its burning. The pillows were larger and softer looking. The Wise One perched atop the middle pillow was not someone Rixan recognized. She wanted to furrow her brow and place the woman, but that was not polite.

The other Apprentice was already seated. Nearly wavering on her feet, Rixan gave a brief nod to the other woman and stood at the front of the tent. She needed only to stand another moment, however, before the Wise One motioned for her to take a place on the last empty pillow. Gratefully, the dusty apprentice lowered herself onto the square. A soft gasp fell through her lips as she sank into the soft cushion. There shouldn't be any harm in appreciating the small things in life. Tucking her feet under her, she turned her attention to the waiting older woman.

Pouring them each a cup of water, the Wise One opened the conversation, "Be welcome to share shade with me Apprentices. It pleases me to see you this night, and I am even more excited over the material which we will go over." Taking the cup eagerly, Rixan drew a long swallow and then forced herself to lower the cup to her lap. Connecting eyes momentarily, she felt a surge of excitement of her own. After all this time, she thought, I will finally hone my gift. I will truly have something to give back to the Clan.

The Wise One spoke again, "You are here for Dreamwalking lessons, but before we jump into an adder pit, let us first learn the rules of the den, yes? I would have you both introduce yourselves to me, so that we may know one another better. I am Nephuria Sul'ron Raiden, and you would be?" She had leaned forward whilst introducing herself. Motioning to the two of them, Nephuria settled back onto her cushion and looked at them expectantly.

The other woman spoke up first, and that was fine. Rixan took another long swallow of the glorious water, as she listened to the other apprentice. It seemed her name was Adai. Now her, she had heard of in passing. Something her greatmother had mentioned to her not so long ago. A suggestion, or warning, or ...a message that Adai would be sharing this journey with her. That woman never mentions anything just because. I would do well to remind myself of that on occasion. Returning herself to the present and hearing silence, Rixan lowered the cup again.

“I, too, thank you for sharing your water and shade with us Wise One. My name is Rixan, Rixan Coldring.” The 'g' sound seemed to hang in the air. “I am looking forward to learning about...this ability.”

Rixan Coldring

Wise One Apprentice

Nephuria allowed herself to smile at them both as they introduced themselves. She folded her hands into her lap and was almost picturesque in her demeanor. She allowed the lighting in the room to dim, by snuffing every other candle with a small weave of Air. The fire in the center of the room seemed to shrink as well, casting hard shadows around the tent. Her face was a mask, half hidden by a shadowed cast.

"Training for the World of Dreams is not something to be taken lightly, I must know that each of you will listen to my words without hesitation or question. Your every thought will be a danger until you can control your active mind along with your sub-conscience within the second world.

The Rules that create our world do not apply within the Dream World more often than not. Time, space, distance; these things are all meaningless there. The world of Dreams is a plane that connects us all, it reflects the living world to near perfection where non-moving objects are concerned. Things like a sept on the move are far less real in the dreamworld because the tents do not remain long enough in one place to form a proper reflection."

The Wise One paused looking at the girls, weighing them both. "To die in Tel'aran'rhiod is to wake from the Dream, not only there, but here as well. Death, cuts, bruises; all of these mortification's and more will be real should you encounter them within the Dreamworld. Nightmares are living traps, waiting to bring those who would accept them as reality into there twisted endings. Much like the Waste, this world has more hidden dangers than the scout could ever see or anticipate."

Nephuria's voice was monotone, relaxing in it's stead fast strength. "To begin this journey you must first sleep, but sleep is not what we are here for. While your body sleeps and you remain in the Dream World, your true sleep is interrupted, meaning it does not rest and revive you as normal sleep would. Remember this carefully, as time differs once within the second world. You could be asleep five minutes here, and spend two days in the Dream World.....or it could be reversed."

"Each of you sit back, relax your bodies concentrating on one area at a time. Start with your feet, imagine each muscle loosening, releasing the strains of the day. Move up your legs, easing and relaxing muscles worked long and hard. Move into your chest and arms, allow them to become limp, relaxed. When you close your eyes, picture yourselves here, in this tent. Attempt to find sleep, and define the thin line between it and waking; it is there the Dream World lives. Remember, do as I say; we shall meet again soon."

Nephuria was long practiced at entering the Dream at will. She was sitting up in the tent, but her eyes were closed. She opened them, within the Dreamworld, her sleeping body not visible here.

Nephuria

WO

Edited by Amore

• 2 weeks later...

Adai's eyes followed the trail of the extinguishing flames until they started to go out behind her. She pulled her eyes straight to match the Wise One's and waited. She was still drowsy, but she was still more alert now.

"Training for the World of Dreams is not something to be taken lightly, I must know that each of you will listen to my words without hesitation or question. Your every thought will be a danger until you can control your active mind along with your sub-conscience within the second world.

Adai felt her mind start to wander at the mention of how her thoughts alone could be a danger, but focused back to the conversation quickly, as it was exactly that which the Wise One had been warning her of. If she couldn't keep her mind from wandering in the waking world how could she control it in the dreamworld?

The things the Wise One spoke of, the similarities of the two plains and the differences intreged Adai, and it was all she could to keep from letting herself question how it could be possible and try to imagine the world the woman described. Letting herself try to picture it in her head made Adai feel like she was not staying present and she would control her thoughts. She would see this other plain soon enough. The talk of the reality of the circumstances of what happens in the dreamworld transferring into the real world helped keep her focused. Focused on staying present in the lesson, present in controlling her thoughts and not letting the wayward worries form.

When the warning was done with and as much explaining of how the dreamworld works was given, it was time for the girls to experience it first hand. Adia followed the instructions the Wise One gave as she laid down and slowly let her body relax, one limb at a time. It wasn't hard, her body had been trying to get her do just that for most of the day. It felt so good to stretch out, relax and know that she could rest. Even if she wasn't going to be getting any more real rest than this moment before she entered the dream world, this moment was nice and she let herself enjoy the feeling of drifting off to sleep. Just before she was fully asleep she remembered her instructions to find this feeling and picture her in the tent. She forced her eyes open and found herself laying in the tent in the dreamworld, the Wise One already there waiting for her.

Adailinra Desn

~ WO-to-be

The tent seemed to dim and Rixan reached up to smack herself on the cheek. All day her lack of sleep had been bothering her, something she had not expected and hadn't been prepared for. This had happened earlier, her eyes starting to close, making everything dimmer. As she reached up, however, the apprentice noticed Nephuria looking at her and smiling. Of course, Rixan thought to herself, the Power. Access to the One Power was something this Dream had not provided her. Her greatmother could barely channel enough to light a candle, but the way her blunt mouth caressed her description of the Power was enough to let Rixan know she was missing something that had no equal value.

No since dwelling on what was not to be. Straightening her shoulders, Rixan rolled the left and then the right in an attempt to work her muscles. A soft ache was starting to settle, dragging her lethargy from lack of sleep down further. Her limbs felt like lead. The Wise One looked at Adai, and then at herself, before she spoke. Her words should have sounded loud in the silent tent, but they sounded a bit muffled, the deep exhaustion making it twice as difficult to do anything - including hear. "Training for the World of Dreams is not something to be taken lightly, I must know that each of you will listen to my words without hesitation or question. Your every thought will be a danger until you can control your active mind along with your sub-conscience within the second world," intoned the Wise One. As if on cue, Rixan felt her entire body snap to attention just on the brink of falling asleep. Every thought? she pondered, her brain stuck on that. Was there ever a time when someone had only one thought in their head? It seemed as if her brain was always twirling with multiple thoughts, one or more taking precedence but others sat in the background, waiting with bated breath for their turn in the spotlight. Well, men often seem to have only one thought in their brain... she thought, almost smiling to herself.

The Wise One continued, Rixan almost missing the lesson as she continued to focus on the 'every thought is a danger' statement. Pull yourself together, she lectured, Greatmother would not be pleased if I mess up this lesson, and I would owe Nephuria toh. Shaking her head slightly, Rixan centered her attention on the Wise One and did not let it stray again.

Rixan felt it easier to stay awake as the Wise One provided more information about the Dream World. Time was fluid there, seconds lasting days, weeks lasting hours. Appearances of people and things were contingent on movement; you could make nearly anything you wanted appear. But death was real. To wake from the dream in Tel'aran'rhiod was to wake from the dream forever. Settling back on her heels, Rixan gave her a moment to let that sink in. And it would be much easier to die in the Dream world, said the Wise One, as nightmares were real.

Heavy thoughts, but nothing would deter Rixan from developing this skill. From providing this connection for her Clan. "Each of you sit back, relax your bodies concentrating on one area at a time. Start with your feet, imagine each muscle loosening, releasing the strains of the day. Move up your legs, easing and relaxing muscles worked long and hard. Move into your chest and arms, allow them to become limp, relaxed. When you close your eyes, picture yourselves here, in this tent. Attempt to find sleep, and define the thin line between it and waking; it is there the Dream World lives. Remember, do as I say; we shall meet again soon." The Wise One's voice was montonous and soothing, lulling her back into her sleepy state. The apprentice did as requested, her muscles moving from lead to air. As she watched the Wise One, and Adai, close their eyes, she finally felt free to close hers. The darkness was blissful for one moment and she felt herself completely relax. How easy it would be to merely sleep rather than meet Nephuria and Adai in Tel'aran'rhiod. Easy, not right. Feeling herself fading, Rixan separated herself from that comforting relaxation. Picturing the tent, Rixan opened her eyes to find Adai looking around in wonder and Nephuria still smiling.

I split Amore's first lesson off to the Dreamworld Board. Here is a link to it. I think we should do our lessons in that board since it where we will be posing all dreamworld action.

http://www.dragonmount.com/forums/topic/60896-sleepless-in-the-dreamworld/page__pid__1866569#entry1866569

We can continue to meet here before and after each lesson.