DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Discussing the Art of War

Matalina

Kate finally had a free day. It had been several months since she had one. And this one she had already made plans with. As soon as she found out Kate sent word to Loraine Sedai about their tea meeting over the Art of War. Kate had knocked on her door but she wasn't there so she slipped the note under her door.

Loraine Sedai, I have a free day in one weeks time. If your are available after the high noon bell I would like to stop by for tea and we can discuss the Art of War as we discussed a while back. If this time is not convenient for you please let me know when would be, I have all day free. I eagerly await our discussion. - Kate al'Ker

It was short and simple but polite and recognized the fact that she might actually be busy. But Kate was excited to speak about the books. Loraine Sedai's copy was slightly different than her own, but it was a different translation she was sure. Different people interpret things differently so it was likely it was from two different translators, though those records were not the same. Kate also found a few missing pages when she read through them together. She had copied them down and put them in her book so she'd copy them into her new book. She was far from done with transcribing, but she was eager to discuss the things she had learned thus far.

Kate made her way to the Green's room and knocked softly on the door. Loraine Sedai answered the door personally and showed Kate in. Kate dropped a curtsy then followed the Sister into the room. Kate was a little nervous and a lot excited, she could nearly contain her emotions, but she tried, this was a test as well, to keep her Aes Sedai composure she'd heard so much about. Kate couldn't help crack a smile as she returned the Sister her book. "I did find it useful, thank you. I am sure we will have a lot to talk about."

• 2 weeks later...

Loraine smiled at the note she found tucked under her door. She'd sent Kate her copy of the book they'd discussed in the library the following morning and hadn't expected a response this soon. Apparently, the girl was eager to discuss this with someone who might actually have an opinion that didn't center around a very drawn out yawn. She tucked the note in the corner of her desk as a reminder that she had company coming soon.

Loraine was settled in her favorite chair by the window of her sitting room when she heard the knock on the door. She felt her lips twisting into a smile again as she heard the noon bells peel off in the distance. Punctual, as well as motivated. She rose slowly, brushing the imaginary wrinkles from her skirts as she crossed to the door and pulled it open. "Good afternoon, Kate. Please, come in..." She stepped back and lifted her hand to usher the Accepted into her room. She nodded as Kate dropped the customary curtsy, though she could feel the energy radiating off the girl. Loraine let the corner of her mouth twitch as she wondered how long the girl could hold on to that serenity she'd obviously been practicing.

She didn't have to wait long.

"I did find it useful, thank you. I am sure we will have a lot to talk about." This was accompanied by a smile as she handed her back the copy of The Art of War that she'd down to her.

Loraine laughed softly and lifted her hand again, indicating a couch and set of chairs arranged around a low table that dominated the middle of the room. "I am pleased that it proved as useful as I'd hoped. Please make yourself at home. Would you like some tea?" She moved towards the table where a tea service was waiting, slicing a quick weave of Fire around the pitcher to heat the water already inside. She lifted the pitcher without really waiting for Kate to answer, pouring two cups full where she'd already dropped her favorite tea. "Help yourself to the sugar and honey, child," she said softly, lifting her cup and settling on the couch.

She waited while Kate prepared her own cup of tea and as soon as the girl was settled, she set her tea aside. "So, then, tell me, Kate. What do you think of the first bit? The piece that stuck out to me the most was..." She chewed her lip for a second and laughed. "I don't remember if that was the first bit or not, truth be known! My mind seems to mold the whole book together into one big collection of ideals and tactics. Let's see... what was it? Ah, yes. 'Warfare is the way of Deception.' Do you think that's true?"

She lifted her cup, but didn't take a sip as she waited for Kate's answer.

~Loraine

Kate was eager to discuss the topic and tea was only a formality. She really didn't care about the tea, but the cup was poured and Kate couldn't be impolite, her mother or Mistress Sarah might come back and haunt her if she was - Mistress Sarah in particular. She remembered hearing her say often enough in the private of their kitchen We may be darkfriends, but there is no reason we cannot be polite! Kate smiled at the memory and added one lump of sugar to her tea before taking a seat opposite of Loraine Sedai.

Warfare is the way of Deception was always an intriguing concept. It meant that you had to deceive your opponent into thinking one thing when you truly wanted the other. Look small when you are large. Be strong when you look weak to your opponent. That was the way he was speaking. Kate nodded. "I do think it is true. It's like being caught by surprise. Here we are having a bit of tear or so I thought, but instead you decided to throw me a surprise party for my birthday. The advantage is yours. I am caught off guard and thus surprised." Kate smiled and looked around as if looking for someone to jump out at her. "If your enemy thinks you are one thing then you have the element of surprise when you show your true colors."

Kate took a sip of her tea, realizing she hadn't done so yet. Be polite was all she heard in her head. "I hope I do not come off too strong in my opinion. Mother always taught me to speak my mind and be to the point."

• 2 weeks later...

"As well she should," Loraine said with a small smile. "I have never agreed with Aes Sedai hiding what they feel, to be truthful. I see the logic in it for Grays when dealing with mediations and negotiations, of course. As for the rest of us, I think it sets us up against each other far too much."

She smiled and took another sip of her tea. "The element of surprise is extremely important in battle, but keep in mind your opponent is fighting for it, too. Surprise is a hard thing to hold on to in open warfare. Especially when you have an army to supply and keep happy in the meantime. No mean feat, that."

She paused and lowered her cup, looking at Kate over the rim. "How do you feel about procuring provisions, since we're on the subject? A lighter army moves faster, but how do you keep your soldiers fed well enough to fight and still keep the caravan moving quickly?"

~Loraine

(Thought it might be fun for Kate to start spouting quotes, too. ;) )

Kate nodded. Keeping the army happy was important. But when she was presented the oppurtunity to make a quote she smiled and didn't hesitate.

"... the wise general will concentrate on securing provisions from the enemy." Kate's smile widened. "Basically don't bring everything with you. The first priority of any army is to take away the enemy supplies so that your army can survive and theirs will have less supplies."

"If you are an army on the move take away their means to feed themselves by taking their farms, mills and the like. Unfortunately it may also hurt the people the army protect, but life is about self preservation when in the army. If you don't survive then you cannot protect your people and thus you cannot do your job. It's not your job to protect the innocent enemy it's their armies job. If you are lucky you have a better army than they do."

"If you are the army being attacked well that's a bit more difficult if you are held up in your own territory, but the army attacking will still have supplies. It's better to take them than it is to destroy them, you do have your army and your people to feed. But this method really doesn't have much surprise to it. So it goes against our first principle we discussed."

"It all comes to knowing yourself and knowing your enemy. Like the author said."

"Thus it is said that one who knows the enemy and knows himself will not be endangered in a hundred engagements. One who does not know the enemy but knows himself will sometimes be victorious, sometimes meet defeat. One who knows neither the enemy more himself will invariably be defeated in every engagement."

((OOC: You can ask her to elaborate or say something else that might pull on the topic, I purposely left Kate's thoughts for the next post)))

Loraine let her expression tell the girl that she was impressed with her memory of what she'd read and her interpretation of it. "Ah, but what if you are not just attacking an army, but taking over the land you're raping for supplies? Are you still not responsible for taking care of those you are stealing from? I fear this is where my gray streak comes in, as I prefer to leave the inhabitants alone and merely make sure the enemy is the one without provisions. When they start stealing from their own people... that's when you've got them where you want them. After a bit of that, the people, themselves, will do most of the work for you!"

She paused at the last quote and tilted her head. "Ah, thus the reason why the Tower's library is so large! Knowing your enemy is the key to winning anything. That goes for large battles... and for arguing with your warder." Her eyes twinkled at the last. "It never fails to happen, so you may as well know him well enough to win, too. It certainly helps when I have a headache and don't feel like arguing with him about tactics."

She took a sip of her tea and eyed Kate over the rim of her glass. "What happens when you have an enemy you don't know? What would you do to ensure your army's victory over them? Do you accept that defeat is inevitable?" She paused, waiting on the girl's answer.

~Loraine

What happens if you don't know your enemy? It really depended on the situation. Kate knew that you didn't always know your enemy as well as you'd like. And this always seemed to be a bit of hard spot in the book. How does one get to know your enemy.

"It really depends on the situation of why you don't know your enemy. Are they attacking you out of the blue? Well that really is your fault, you shouldn't be taken by surprise you should know the threats that are out there. You should have been paying attention to the world around you the turmoil in your own nation or your neighbors. There are always signs. But in this event you should at least try to learn why they are attacking you. Maybe it can be solved diplomatically? Maybe not but if you don't know why then you won't really know for sure."

"Another scenario of not knowing your enemy is possible when you do something that someone else finds offensive that you didn't plan for. But that also is something you should have thought of."

"By following the books rules you really should not ever not know your enemy. You need to think about all situations before attempting them. I know life just isn't like that by the books philosophy you should never find yourself without the opportunity to know your enemy."

"My mother taught me to think before I speak. To learn before doing. To seek advice and guidance if I do not know something. I don't think it is an option to not know your enemy. Even if the enemy is a surprise enemy you should know what is happening around you and should at least suspect that something could go wrong."

Kate smiled, "I know that isn't probably what you wanted to hear."

Loraine smiled in response. "Alas, my dear, I make it a point to never expect a certain answer, only to expect that one is coming. You'll find yourself caught off guard by a person's reactions quite a bit less often, that way."

As for knowing enemies, there are plenty of situations where I'd have happily traded just about anything for a few more clues about what was staring at me across the battlefield. It's also not a good idea to over prepare for what you think you're looking at. The Shadow never fails to throw something at you that you never saw coming." She shrugged gently and eyed the book on the table. "Of course, Sun Tzu also points out that a victorious general will find the grounds for victory before he fights, whereas the unsuccessful general will fight first and pray for the victory he craves. I believe that's a large part of knowing your enemy, too, though there are quite a few more factors in victory than just knowing who you're playing chess with." She tilted her head and took a sip of her tea. "What do you suppose it takes to be secure enough in knowing you'll be the one standing in the end and not end up the one losing the war?"

~Loraine

Kate wasn't sure how to answer that. She took a sip of her now cold tea. She winced at the bitter taste of cold tea. As an accepted she could channel without an Aes Sedai present but she asked first. "May I warm my tea?" With a smile Loraine Sedai nodded and Kate embraced the one power and channeled a little fire into the tea cup she held. Once long ago that small weave would have taken her ages to perform, but that was long since past. The question at hand riddled her mind with various thoughts as she sipped at the now warm tea.

"I don't know if there is anything that would make me personally feel as though I will guarantee a victory. But to be comfortable I would have to know me best of all. Know my plans, strategy, my army and the tools I have at my disposal. Like you said I can't really predict what they are going to do. I have to have confidence in myself. " Kate laughed, "Sometimes we can be our own worst enemy."

And that was the truth. She knew that her own inability to channel in the beginning had all been her own doing. She had created the block, she had to work past it. It was just the same in war. You have to get past your own short comings. It was just the way of things. "I think once you are confident in your own abilities you have the tools to win any war. But it's not a guarantee."

• 2 weeks later...

(OOC: Waited for almost 2 weeks for a reply going to end this now)

The hours were growing late and Kate knew that Loraine Sedai must have better things to do than sit and chat about strategy with an Accepted. Kate closed her book and thought about how to bid adue with out being over bearing. She took a last sip of her tea and set it polietly on the dish it had been served with. "I am sure you have more important things to do than sit and chat with me." Kate stood up and curtsied, "I would like to thank you for time and the great conversation. I think I have learned much from you and hope we can find the time to do this again. By your leave."

With a smile and a nod from the Aes Sedai Kate left quickly. She was greatful for the discussion and the lessons but she had some time left on her free day and decided to use it wisely - or rather to entertain herself in a more pleasing way to others. Kate scurried off to the Accepted quarters to find something more Accepted like to do.