DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

As a Hillfood, I'm obligated to share this.

Hillfood

So, I really hope I don't get the boot for this, but I'm hyper and just finished dinner, and remembered a funny story that simply must be shared.

I'm a Soldier in Afghanistan (this is relevant), Communications being my job field, and most of our equipment runs off of our own generators. Now, these generators can run our stuff for upwards of maybe 18 hours before they actually need fuel, but we do it every 12 when we change shifts just to be on the safe side. I'm on shift during the daytime, so we don't refuel until well after the sun has gone down. Now, I've got arguably the best night vision on our team, but during the part of the month where the moon is covered even I have trouble seeing, and so we use chem-lights (a more common name is glow-stick) to allow us to see what we're doing. Can't use flashlights where I'm at for tactical reasons, simply put. When we refuel, we can't simply pull up to a pump; we have to use 5-gallon fuel cans, and as we don't have an unlimited supply of cans, when we get down to only having enough full cans for one refuel we lug all the empty ones over to the fuel point and fill them up. Usually we do this during the daytime, so that we can see, but sometimes we forget or get misinformation from our nighttime counterparts, and so every once in awhile we have to fill the cans at night before we can fill the generators.

Now, all of that information was simply to set the stage for my story, because the story itself is actually rather short.

So a few nights ago (maybe a week or so ago?) my daytime partner in crime and I had forgotten to fill the cans during the daylight, and this just happened to be a night where the moon was a mere sliver and thusly shed no light for us. So, we used a chem-light, a red one, which gives off a field of faint light for about six feet when you hold it at about waist-height. So there we are, carrying these empty cans and our little light, chit-chatting as we usually do (which means talking smack between the two of us), and we turned the last corner and headed for the fuel area. Now, when first we looked, in the complete and total darkness the path seemed clear all the way to the pumps. So we turned back to minding our own business, and the next thing we know we were attacked.

By a ninja truck.

This truck wasn’t on; there were no operators anywhere near the truck (I know because I walked around the entire thing to check). Both of us swear that the truck wasn’t there when we turned the corner; even in the darkness, I’m able to make out basic shapes, and both of us swear that we saw the low shape of the pumps. This truck was massive; there is no way we had mistaken the truck for the pumps, there is somewhere around a ten-foot difference just in height, let alone the length. Truck that shouldn't be there, two people swear it wasn't there twenty seconds earlier, no operator anywhere near the vehicle - you’ve got yourself a ninja truck.

Now, neither of us actually hit the thing, but we both looked up and dropped our conversation mid-sentence when we realized we were a foot away from complete and total humiliation.

As I said, I hope this doesn’t get me booted, but until my application goes through the system I’ve nowhere else to post if I want to plague the White Tower - which I do. Besides, hopefully this will brighten someone’s day. I know that I’m in a time zone that’s ahead of most of you, at least as far as I can gather, and it always makes me happy to read a funny story in the morning before I start my day. If this does indeed break the rules, well, feel free to reprimand me in any way you see fit, though I hope that any punishment would not include my being unable to post anything; I do so love to share stories. If you didn't like this story, well, maybe it was more of a "you had to be there" kind of thing, but just thinking about it while writing this post made me chuckle, and that's enough for me. :)

Besides, a Hillfood is like a puppy; you can’t stay mad at me, even if I leave wet spots on the carpet. Though I assure you, I’m quite house-broken. Maybe just leave some newspaper down in the bathroom, just in case. >.>

... at least this time I wasn't drinking tea ... *falls off chair laughing* :biggrin:

I have very bad night vision, which is my excuse for walking into a horse one night. Poor thing was asleep too. Ever heard a horse squeal from fright? At least it didn't kick.

Hill, feel free to post here or at the Warders' main board. Hopefully we'll have you added to the usergroups soon so you can participate elsewhere as well before you go on LoA.

It's fine, and I'm glad you've learned your lesson about the tea. ;)

I understand that these things take time; if I don't get accepted before I take off, I won't be too upset. I've also got the ACW Guild threads to plague. MWAHAHAHA!

I'm probably going to try and stay within public forums anyway, for the most part, until I get back from my LoA. That way, everyone can join in the fun while I'm here; I'm trying to get as involved as I can until I lose my internet. :P

Edit: Because I hit the wrong button, I have to edit this. Hyper is bad for Hillfoods. Anyway, I meant to add that while trying to get involved in general discussions, I'm trying not to get too deeply involved in anything that would suffer from my LoA. Not that you'd all suffer - I don't want to feel like I dropped off in the middle of something. :)

This story made me lol so hard! This kind of happened to me, except it was when I was doing a radion check in an M113 and the TC chair totally wasn't there when I turned my head and hit it and bled everywhere... I hate having to only use chem lights for light... especially when trying to stick a needle in someone :dry: (luckily I've only done that in training). Welcome to the WT!

I'm glad my story went over so well, maybe I'll have to share other stories of this nature with y'all at some point. :wink:

And thanks for all of the welcomes, I'm really looking forward to being a part of this place. I can only hope that at least some of you are crazy, otherwise I probably won't fit in very well. :D

Besides, a Hillfood is like a puppy; you can’t stay mad at me, even if I leave wet spots on the carpet. Though I assure you, I’m quite house-broken. Maybe just leave some newspaper down in the bathroom, just in case. >.>

This line alone is enough for you to have me on your side in any discussion of banning. Which there wont be, because sharing stories is what we do! :biggrin: Well, part of ti anyways...

Truck that shouldn't be there, two people swear it wasn't there twenty seconds earlier, no operator anywhere near the vehicle - you’ve got yourself a ninja truck.

this sentence got me to lol *grins*

great story Hill, welcome to DM & the WT; see ya around the AWC as well

Archived