DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

A lesson in Ji'e'toh - FINISHED

keyholder21

ooc: Sorry about the length, I usually post longer, but I wanted to get this up here for you *g*.

--

The Wise One shielded her eyes as she watched the progress of the sun. The yellow ball stood high in the sky, though it wasn’t quite halfway yet. Around her, the hold was bustling; children ran chasing each other, women making jewelry or food, men and Far Dareis Mai shapening their spears their postures relaxed but always ready for anything.

Rixan dropped her hand and stepped back into the tent behind her. Her lesson would soon commence. The first lesson she would teach as a Wise One. She was barely back from Rhuidean, the knowledge of what was beyond the glass columns still vibrating through her mind. Shaking her head, the young Wise One freed herself of those thoughts. She couldn’t become distracted by that when this warrior was counting on her. Botching today’s lesson would give her toh to him and to her sister Wise Ones who had deemed her ready.

Granted, it would be a good punctuation to the lesson, as that was the very topic she and the warrior would discuss in the near future, but one needn’t make an example of herself over ji’e’toh. It was an interesting lesson to need to provide. Aiel all grew up with the knowledge and expectation of meeting toh. Perhaps it was a test. A test not only for her, but for the warrior as well.

The cold was cool inside the tent, a luxury not often experienced. A small circle of rocks sat around the inside edges of the tent; a small ring of stone for a fire and a teapot sat off to one side. Opening a book she’d bartered for the last time the Tinkers had driven through, Rixan settled onto the floor to await for her student.

Not more than a few moments later, the Wise One heard a russle as the tent flaps were peeled back. Light streamed in and she shielded her eyes with her hand once again. The warrior stepped quickly to the side, dropping the heavy material to shroud the tent in the same dimmer light as before.

“I see you,” Rixan said, and motioned for the warrior to take a seat across from her.

The young man walked across the tent and kept his gaze on the woman who would be his teacher. he looked her up and down and saw that she could not be more then 25 years. namo himself had only seen 16 years. he did not speak for there was nothing to say. he remained standing as he waited for her to say something. his face was blank of anything one might call an emotion for he was still tramutized by the event that had happened a year before. he wondered what this women was going to teach him and what the beniefts of it could be. intent on waiting he stood across the fire and watched the young woman reading a book. growing bored, he let his mind wander to the the fallen spear sister that weighed on his heart. he remember the pain and anger, the bloodlust that had filled his very core, that still had somewhat of a hold on his mind. snapping back to the present, his eyes filled with an anger that could only be fueled by a broken soul. with a start he realized that the wise one was not the boy and his face relaxed back into nothing. he realized that he was being told to sit down, so he let himself sink to the floor and waited for her to speak.

Rixan watched the flutter of emotions that passed over Namo's face. It was curious, the pain and anger. Perhaps this was why she'd been assigned to this lesson. Rixan had always had the ability to ensure calm in the people that surrounded her - even as a child. It was one of the few things that her greatmother had ever complimented her on, and something that the other Wise Ones knew would be an asset to their ranks. Brushing a loose strand of her back from her face, she regarded the boy with a calm assurance as he sat down across the fire from her. He was both younger and older than she expected, the air about him as taut as a harp string.

"Welcome Namo." The young Wise One continued as she placed a marker in her book and set it off to the side. "Before we begin, why don't you tell me in your own words what Ji'e'toh means to you."

Namo look at the woman and thought over the words and what they meant to him. Ji'e'toh. it is what made the aiel and bound them to the three fold land. Namo's eyes glazed over as he once again went back to the time he attacked the boy.

he felt the cool air swirl around him as he thought and he deliberated on the magnitude of the words. with a shrug he looked back at the wise one and spoke. "ji'e'toh is our honor and our ability to serve and right our wrongs. ji, being our honor and toh being our sin. one must always strive to meet their toh and earn ji."

with that namo closed his eyes to rid himself of the image of the young girl who had stolen the anguish from his heart and replaced it with love. HE took it from me. i had Toh towards her, so i did what i had to. namo whistled and watched the tent openings flow open as Mihako flutter in by hopping and fluttering his wings at the same time. Namo held out his hand for Mihako to land on and rubbed the falcons head.

Namo picked up the bird and put him on his shoulder and waited for the wise one to speak. he wondered if he had gotten the question right. Maybe should would tell him her name. for she was not one of the ones he had had "experiences" with. she seemed cool minded. only time would tell if she had the narrow minded arrogance of the others.

The tent was still, silent, as the warrior - just a boy really - contemplated his answer. Rixan watched, her eyes moving over his face, as he struggled to answer. Not within the answer itself, but rather the very act of speaking. She shifted on the ground, curious as to the reason why he couldn't answer. When his eyes clouded and stared past her she knew that there was something deeply troubled within him. Her heart went out to the boy as he sat there motionless, lost in thoughts of the past. As many Wise Ones before her, Rixan knew what it was to be lost in painful memories. Even if the memories weren't hers they were painful nonetheless. She sat still, observing, not wanting to leave him in pain, but not wanting to interrupt either. This wasn't a man who had seen many battles, it was a boy who was still learning ...everything.

With a small twitch, Namo refocused his eyes on Rixan's. He shrugged, having though about the answer but displaying a partial lack of confidence in his answer, "ji'e'toh is our honor and our ability to serve and right our wrongs. ji, being our honor and toh being our sin. one must always strive to meet their toh and earn ji." She nodded, about to speak when the boy closed his eyes. Rixan knit her brow. It was clear that something was bothering the boy. Had no one sought to offer help? She sighed and stared across the fire at the young warrior, studying the small reflexes in his face as he sat there with his eyes closed.

He whistled suddenly, abruptly breaking the silence that had resettled over the tent. The flaps flew open, exposing a bright spanse of sky. Shielding her eyes, the Wise One watched as a falcon flew in, landing gently on Namo's hand. The boy was not surprised in the least; it was obviously his bird. She arched an eyebrow. A falcon was a bird of prey; it wasn't easy to befriend one. They were fierce and proud, much like the Aiel. The boy didn't say a word as he placed the bird on his shoulder. In fact he seemed to be challenging her to speak. She smiled.

"That is a good answer Namo. Simple, but good. There are two things more things I'd like to do before we discuss ji'e'toh. Firstly, I am Rixan Coldring, Wise One of the Dragonmount Clan. Secondly, I'd like to give you an opportunity to discuss what is bothering you. Actually, it can be part of your lesson. You should learn that there is no shame in sharing your pain with another."

Namo looked over Rixan. He felt nothing for this woman and she pressumed to know something about him. His mind throbbed in an angry tumult of emotions. The rage resurfaced into a cold simmering anger. She was a wise one, most likely similar to the ones who beat him. They thought to rid him of his guilt, but Namo would leave the dream with its weight on his shoulders.

Namo let the rage slide from his mind and felt the contempt slide from his lips. As he spoke he spoke from a far away voice, as if he wasn't quite there. "Have you ever watched the one who completed ur soul, have their life ripped away through ur own incompetance." Namo pointed to the his nose,the one that had been brutally boken by the boy, "This is only a fraction of my Toh towards her" Namo's eyes filled with pain, not over the wound but over his guilt and the fact that he could never hope to pay for his Toh.

Pulling back his sleeve he showed her multiple punture marks, that ran all up and down his arms, they were so many one couldn't count. Thrusting out his arms he studied the wise ones face. "this is my goal among other things. These marks are my attempt to keep her memory alive, these are the bite wounds of a bush snake. Its poison has coursed through my body so many times, with the help of a beta antidote, that I am no longer affected by its weak poison. But my favorite snake by far is the Night Mamba, the most poisonous snake in the three fold land. "

With this this Namo closed his eyes and stuck his hand into an odd little gourd that hung from his back. When he withdrew his hand he had something wrapped around his arm. Wrapped around his hand was a 3 foot long mamba. Namo opened his eyes and whisper so softly it was almost like a hiss "do not move or speak she is, unlike, Mahiko not tame, and very deadly she is my newest pet, for my tests and she is called Sierana." With that he stroked the snake and put her back in the Gourd. Namo let the silence enter the room as he waited for the wise one to speak.

Edited by amegakure

It wasn’t the reaction she was expecting, this cold anger that spewed forth from Namo. Rixan felt the urge to lean back from the tension filled air. But she resisted the urge. Whether he knew it or not, this conversation would help him and it was her duty, her toh to help him through this difficult time. He spoke of a woman that he cared deeply for and of her waking from the death, the anguish in his voice hurt to hear. A picture from Rhuidean floated in her memory, the face of her brother staring up at her, eyes glazed over. Shaking her head, Rixan refocused on Namo. There wasn’t time for that now.

Hot anger replaced the cold as the warrior across the fire from her pointed to his nose. He spoke of toh toward the girl, eyes filling with pain. Rixan opened her mouth to speak, but snapped it closed again as Namo pulled back his sleeve to reveal a number of puncture marks, more still disappearing into the folds of his cadin’sor. The Wise One pursed her lips to keep from gasping – obviously the reaction he was looking for. "This is my goal among other things. These marks are my attempt to keep her memory alive; these are the bite wounds of a bush snake. Its poison has coursed through my body so many times, with the help of a beta antidote, that I am no longer affected by its weak poison. But my favorite snake by far is the Night Mamba, the most poisonous snake in the Threefold land."

She knit her brow, worried. What could have been done to this child in his short life to make him resort to this? He closed his eyes again and thrust his hand into an odd little pouch on his back. Rixan cocked an eyebrow wondering where this warrior would lead her now; the conversation having taken a dangerous turn. As hand withdrew, she saw there was a three foot Night Mamba wrapped around his hand. The Wise One’s eyes widened as the boy spoke to her, trancelike as he watched the snake.

And just as soon as it had appeared, he placed it back into the little gourd. Rixan drew a deep breath, working over words in her mind, figuring out how to reply to this…demonstration. Part of her wanted to show the boy that these tricks and his taunting nature would not be tolerated among the Societies, but another part of her cried out that he was in pain and obviously needed someone to share that pain with. She stamped out the ‘mothering’ voice in favor of the friend.

“Night Mambas are very dangerous Namo, I am glad to have met someone that is well versed in how to handle these …delicate creatures.” Her eyes were still staring at the pouch on his back, thinking about the poison coursing through his veins. “I was not attempting to shame you when I asked about your pain, I was merely encouraging you to share it rather than let it fester. Please think of me as a friend, a confidant, someone that can share your pain with you. I believe this is more important right now than any lesson I was instructed to provide.

“However, if you wish to remain silent in your grief, then it is not something we need discuss today. My water and shade will always be yours if you need it, and my ears as well to listen to your stories – whether they are filled with anguish or happiness.” She smiled a small smile at him and curiously watched his reaction. Eventually the boy would need to learn that carrying around that pain would only fester. Not to mention that as a Society member, he would be leaning on his brothers for everything –mentally and physically.

ooc: You can take this how you want - whatever you think is best for your character. I am inclined to think it may be better for him not to be hostile to her (can make for easier rping), but that is your choice. If you don't want him to talk about the girl, maybe he can discuss the Wise Ones and she could do something about it, allowing him to trust at least one? *shrugs* In any case (talking or not), we'll get to the 'lesson' part of the lesson in another post or two.

Namo smile at the words rixan spoke, he did not wish for a friend or wish to share his feelings. She was just like the other wise ones thinking they knew what was best for him. He gave one his half smiles when she told him that the mambas are very dangerous. Namo. Spoke" wise one I feel grief but it does not feaster, I am content with my pain, the only thing we must dicuss is my lessons I must become a warrior so I can change things. I will become clan chief. My pain is no ones concern." Namo looked at rixan blandly as he stroked mahiko.

Ooc: sorry bout the length. Couldn't really think of what to say

Rixan arched an eyebrow as the boy in front of her told her that he would become Clan Chief and that his pain was of no concern. She would no longer think of him as a warrior, for his was not showing any of the forward thinking that an Aiel warrior would have. Crossing her arms, the Wise One waited until Namo was finished with his outburst. He looked at her blandly, one hand stroking the falcon that perched upon his shoulder.

She sighed then, her eyes still on him. The friendliness that had accompanied her tone lessened. It was not completely gone, but she did harden her gaze and her stature, feeling the full weight of her position. Even if she knew this boy needed a friend, a confidant, someone to share his feelings with, that was apparently not her part to play. He needed someone to lead him with a firm, betimes gentle, hand.

“You wish to be a warrior Namo? You wish to learn of ji’e’toh?” she asked, her voice cooler than the warm and welcoming tone she’d used since the boy had first arrived. “Be silent and I will teach you. Among the first, you will recognize that as a Wise One of your Clan I am to be treated with respect – something you haven’t shown me at all today. Were you fully versed in our system of honor, the disrespect you’ve shown today would shame you; you would owe me toh.”

Namo looked as if he were about to speak, his eyes blazing with what Rixan assumed to be anger. She cut a fierce gaze toward him and he settled back down into his seat, eyes following her as she stood up to move around the fire and sit next to him. The falcon peered at her with a gaze not unlike Rixan’s own. The Wise One nodded to the bird and returned her attention to the boy.

“Since you are not, I have no wish to shame you. The ways of ji’e’toh are something that you should have been taught long ago. You were partially correct in your description. You stated that ‘ji’e’toh is our honor and our ability to serve and right our wrongs. ji, being our honor and toh being our sin. one must always strive to meet their toh and earn ji.’

ji is indeed our honor, but I will speak of toh first. Toh is not our sin. It is our obligation – what we must do to regain our honor when it has been lost. This is why our battle brothers and sisters betimes become gai’shain. Toh can be acquired in many ways, but is most often accrued by failing to respect others, bringing shame to others, shirking duties, or neglecting traditions. If you have offended someone, they will claim that you ‘have toh’ toward them and to reduce your dishonor, you must meet your toh. Once it is considered met, the act that generated your toh is forgotten.

“And as such, meeting toh, through being gai’shain, being beaten or paying back the debt of honor, is always somehow self-inflicted as any Aiel can stop it by just saying anytime outright that their toh has been met – and no warrior would say this if he or she did not feel that it had actually been met.

It is possible for the one wronged under ji’e’toh to say publicly that the wrongdoer doesn't have any toh toward him, freeing the wrongdoer from any toh. Much like I just did with you.

Rixan paused, looking to see how her words had affected Namo. The boy seemed thoughtful, at least for now. She pressed on with the explanation of what should have been innate for an Aiel warrior. “ji, like you and I mentioned, is our honor. The greatest ji comes from touching an enemy in battle without killing him. This incurs a great deal of toh, and the person who is touched usually becomes gai’shain, which literally means "pledged to peace in battle." A gai’shain serves his or her captor for a year and a day, touching no weapon, doing no battle, and wearing only white. A Wise One, blacksmith, woman with a child, or a child under the age of ten may not be made gai’shain.

The least amount of ji comes from killing an enemy, as killing is easier than leaving an enemy alive.”

This time she didn’t press on, instead asking the warrior if he had questions. “Does any of that confuse you Namo? I’m almost sure…in fact, I’m positive that you’ve been practicing ji’e’toh your entire life though you may not have known it.” She placed her hands in her lap and stared at the boy, interested to see if he understood the complex system any better, or if he recognized elements of it in the past sixteen years of his life.

Edited by keyholder21

N

amo sat silently as rixan spoke wondering what would be next he next move in this great game. He could feel the tension rise in the tent. Rixan words on about disrespect shocked him but he did not let anything though the bland mask of disinterest. so she spoke of respect, and thought he owed toh to her. Yes she's just like them, but don't let her get to u namo namo waited until she finished speaking on the matter of toh and ji. As if namo new nothing about it. One did not survive without learning ji'e'toh in the aiel society. He did not feel anger at rixan for the insult against his honor. She was just like the other wise ones in camp, trying to beat him to submission. Anyone knows there's a time to submit but now was not his, he would become a skilled aiel and avenge his parents.

He did however let rixans words on toh and ji sink into his thoughts wrapped around his own perseption of ji'e'toh in his life. He did owe toh to certain people. He owed toh to ghaul, her, and his first mentor although she claimed him not. These were the people he most respected along with eevery spear brother and sister. Namo felt himself looking deep inside for what he should say to her that would not put her off but understand what he needed from her. This arragance that she threw at him was stiffling his concentration, she seemed so defensive that she teach his place. The thought came to namo quickly, it would be a risk and possibly painful. But if rixan wanted his respect she must prove that she deserved it. For all he new she was just recently back from ruideeon*

Namo looked at Rixan as she asked her question. He deliberated on how he speak, he thought long and hard for he was not prone to rash behaivor. There was always a plan tinking away in his head. Finally after he felt confident in his plan he looked back towards rixan. He felt her cool stare meet his, like two hawks before they clash in the air. He studied her face for a moment, he saw her determination to succeed in teaching him, the glow of confidence only the strong have. Something popped into namo's head and it shocked him so much that his mask slipped for a second until he siezed control again.

He felt himself smile behind the "mask' oh this would be fun for namo. At last he spoke the words coming out with precision and careful thought "yes, I understand quite well wise one, my presption might be slighty different from yours though, I have toh to many and have much ji I need to gain. I will make many enemys gai'shain. You do have many points though you speak of respect for wise ones in general. Wise ones have failed me in the past and do not understand me now. My perseption of respect is that if you wish to have it, demand it. But now for the last issue" namo got down on his knees and prosterated himself infront of Rixan. " you have spoken of toh I have against you, perhaps you are right, rixan I have Toh against you" "namo nodded satisfied with his words but he prepared to speak his last remark "were you a spear sister before you left the spears?"

The young Wise One arched a delicate eyebrow as Namo responded to her description of the Aiel honor system. He spoke of knowing ji’e’toh, but the words that tumbled out of his mouth belied his statements. How could this young Aiel be a part of the same culture as she and think in such a different way? They had both grown up under the same code, but apparently their teachers hadn’t bestowed the same wisdom upon the two of them. She forced herself not to grit her teeth and harden her mouth into a thin line as he spoke of respect with none in his tone.

“That is an interesting perception Namo, that to have respect, one must demand it. Does that mean, then, that you respect Treekiller because he demanded to have it? You must not think of respect in this way. It is not something to be demanded. Respect is something to work toward, something to earn. You will never gain the respect of your spear brothers and sisters if you merely demand it. You must show them that you are worthy.

Moreover, you will not gain respect by generalizing others. Just because one, or even several Wise Ones have failed you that does not mean that every Wise One will. This is a dangerous path to follow, for it leads to destruction at your own hand. You are going against the traditions of our people; our people, Namo, yours and mine, if you continue to hold these prejudices against our leaders.” Rixan sighed and momentarily closed her bright blue eyes. When she opened them, the young man had prostrated himself at her feet. Holding back a gasp of surprise, the woman knit her brows and stared down at him.

“But now for the last issue, you have spoken of toh I have against you, perhaps you are right, Rixan I have Toh against you. Were you a spear sister before you left the spears?" The boy looked up at her expectantly, waiting for her pronouncement.

Rixan kneeled down until she was the same height as Namo. “Namo,” she said gently, “you carry no toh toward me. Rather, you instructors carry toh toward you. Do you understand why?” Settling back on her heels, the flame haired Wise One shook her head at the boy. “No, I was not a spear sister. I was considering joining our sisters in battle, but was called for a different service instead.” She held her hands out and motioned around the tent and back to him.

ooc: Amega, you can respond stating that Namo either understands or doesn't. If he does, then I'll will post a wrap up and we're good. If he doesn't, then we can spend another exchange explaining it and then be done.

• 1 month later...

Namo sighed as he rose from the floor and looked to Rixan. Thoughts and ideas tumbled through his head as he contemplated the words she had spoken. He realized that she had a point about him acting in such a different way than other aiel. This he put up to his desire for silence and peace. He poised still as stone, Muscles tense as if ready to pounce. He sensed her agitation when she spoke of respect and how his concept of it was not correct.

He meet her eyes and the world still for a second, this plauged namo for he couldn't put a word on what was happening.

Namo broke the contact and spoke. "I think we have the same ideas of respect just different words, when I say one must demand it that is essentailly the same as proving they have earned. Like the young warrior demands it by making many gaishain or killing many trollocs. Tree killer has not demanded respect but hate, he is vile and twisted mass of evil with no honor to be respect. As for this toh you say I do not owe you yes I do understand many do not understand my ways but you yseem to be different no distast in ur eyes or fear. I feel that we should speak again wise one."

With that quick and sure he turned towards the tent flap and went to opening he pause to see if she had any parting words to end the discussion...

Rixan waited to stand until Namo made move to do so. She did not desire to be standing whilst he prostrated himself on the ground at her feet. She felt sorrow for this boy who was so distrustful of those that wore algode blouses and anger at those who treated him with such disrespect when he was young. If she could find those women, she would discuss their actions with the Wise Ones she knew well and she what could be done so they didn't harm more children. She moved fluidly from her knees to her feet as the warrior rose from the floor.

As his eyes met hers, she was surprised and pleased to note that the hostility he had displayed for the rest of the lesson had diminished. The warrior and the Wise One stood in the middle of the tent, eyes locked, seeming to gauge each other for the first time...again. She blinked as he looked away, focusing on what he was saying and how his words had changed from the venomous phrases he'd thrown at her mere moments ago.

"I think we have the same ideas of respect just different words, when I say one must demand it that is essentailly the same as proving they have earned. Like the young warrior demands it by making many gaishain or killing many trollocs. Tree killer has not demanded respect but hate, he is vile and twisted mass of evil with no honor to be respect. As for this toh you say I do not owe you yes I do understand many do not understand my ways but you yseem to be different no distast in ur eyes or fear. I feel that we should speak again wise one."

She felt herself nodding, listening not only to what he was saying, but the heartfelt emotion behind it. Different words could have the same meaning, and it would be unfair of her to require him to use her words instead of his own. Still, the meaning had altered from an underlying anger to an underlying understanding and that was the true point of the lesson. Namo had a unique handle on ji'e'toh but she believed that he knew and followed it as best he could.

He moved toward the tent flap, pushing back the heavy material to let sunlight stream in. The light rushed in with force, spreading out to light up the entire interior. Pausing at the mouth of the tent, the young warrior turned back to her, as if not sure whether she'd finished with the lesson. She smiled and nodded, ensuring him that his time with her was indeed at an end. “I am always willing to speak to you Namo,” Rixan said with a genuine interest, “may you find water and shade.”

------

ooc: That's it :). I will post in your training thread that you've completed the Ji'e'toh lesson!