DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

First encounter

Taren

(OOC - Alianor's meeting with the MoN)

The woman with the dress banded in seven colours huffed as she drew closer to the office of Valeri Sedai, the Mistress of Novices. Waiting in the entrance hall of the White Tower and acting as a guide obviously did not sit well with this woman, but then Alianor thought that she would not like to do that either. The journey to Tar Valon had been uneventful for the most part, but her first sight of the fabled white city had literally taken her breath away. It was magnificent, the beautiful building of the city itself and the elegant White Tower rising above all. Surely a symbol of Aes Sedai power and influence, but then some people would not like to think like that at all. Alianor was different, she came from Cairhein where political power could be more dangerous than that of the sword. Her mother had caused a scene in the entrance hall of course, Alianor rolled her eyes remembering it, but she was alone now except for the woman in white with the bands of colour. Her hands brushed the fine dark gray silk of her gown, she would have to wear white soon, it was really not appropriate for a noble of Cairhein but she would have to endure it. Once I am Aes Sedai I will never have to wear white again!

The woman stopped outside a door and Alianor was taken aback for a second, she had been lost in thought. Three taps and a voice from within called ‘Enter’. A fluttering in her stomach was quickly suppressed as the woman in white said ‘The Mistress of Novices will see you now’ before huffing again and going back the way she had come. Alianor paid her no mind as she opened the door and entered a small room, but with fine furniture and a woman unmistakably Aes Sedai within. Beside Kadeira Sedai who had found the ability to channel within her she had seen a few others, in the Sun Palace and a few on her way up here. This did not stop her being awed yet again by the surety within a sisters gaze. She curtsied slightly, something she was not used to doing herself and a slight frown wrinkled her brow for a moment.

‘May the Light shine on you Valeri Sedai’ she said, her voice soft and pleasant. ‘I have come to the Tower to be trained, Kadeira Sedai of the Gray Ajah she tested me at home, in Cairhein…I can channel you see and I have come to be trained’. She said the final words defiantly.

Edited by Taren

Valeri looked up from her writing as the young girl entered, well not as young as most of the Novices, but young compared to herself.

‘May the Light shine on you Valeri Sedai. I have come to the Tower to be trained, Kadeira Sedai of the Gray Ajah she tested me at home, in Cairhein…I can channel you see and I have come to be trained’.

The girl's curtesy was awkward and marked her as at least a minor noble, unused to such actions. Smiling as she spoke Valeri replied, "The Light shine on you also child. You may take a seat."

Valeri rose and made a pot of her favourite Saldaean blend before returning to her seat holding the teapot and two fine Seafolk porcelain teacups. Pouring the tea she smiled again, "Now child, why don't you tell me your name and how you came to be tested by Kadeira Sedai."

Valeri Kinaea

Mistress of Traditional Novices

Alianor sat down on the chair in front of the desk. She was slightly taken aback, she was being offered tea. She had expected some form of lecture on the rules of the Tower, but then maybe that was yet to come. She took the cup and sipped some before speaking, the sea folk porcelain was of course very fine. The woman sitting across from her was smiling, and Alianor felt even more at ease.

“Now child, why don't you tell me your name and how you came to be tested by Kadeira Sedai." The Aes Sedai said and Alianor took another sip of tea before answering, she would have to tip toe a little here.

“My name is Alianor Tarawindred, Aes Sedai. I come from Cairhein, as I said. Kadeira Sedai visited our home and tested me. She said she liked to test girls as often as possible, so that they could be sent for training here in the White Tower” She did not know what to add to that, she was sure that the Mistress of Novices would have more questions, or at least something else to say. She set down her drink and smoothed her hands on her dress once again, the silk really was very fine and she knew it would not be long before she was donning Novice white. All worth it, she told herself.

Valeri listened carefully to the lass' words. Alianor was Cairheinin and there was bound to be more to the girl's story than a simple visit from an Aes Sedai.

Setting her teacup down, Valeri smiled again and spoke, "So you can learn to channel. The White Tower has a great need for suitable Novices. Have you any questions for me before we add your name to the Novice Book?"

Valeri Kinaea

Alianor could not read anything from the Aes Sedai’s face, but then that was the mark of a sister wasn’t it. It made her slightly nervous, she had thought she was good at hiding things but that smile seemed to give nothing away. She would have tread carefully here inside the White Tower for sure. She took another sip of tea, it really was very good.

“"So you can learn to channel. The White Tower has a great need for suitable Novices. Have you any questions for me before we add your name to the Novice Book?"

The Novice book! Her heart gave a little leap at those words, it was all very exciting. A smile crossed her face, it really was happening. She remained silent for a moment, wondering if she did have any questions. The ones that crossed her mind, how long before she would be an Aes Sedai, when would her lessons begin, she knew she would find out in due course. She was sure that there was no set time limit on when one became a full sister, she was facing years of work ahead of her. Oddly it did not scare her, she relished it, and wanted it more than anything.

“There is nothing Valeri Sedai. Not that won’t be answered soon enough I am sure” she answered after a few moments pause in which she took another sip of the tea. Now it seemed all that was left was for her to be entered into the book and she would be on her way.

Setting her cup back upon the saucer she smiled at the lass the reached down to the large drawer in her desk. Carefully she lifted the aged leather bound book and set it carefully on the desk in front of her. Leafing through the ancient pages which werd protected by a Keeping weave, Valeri found the most recent entries.

"Now child, can you please tell me your full name, place of birth and your current age please."

Lifting her inked pen Valeri filled in Alianor's details as the girl spoke. Finishing the entry with her own signature Valeri's face became solemn as she spoke the words forever tying her to the tower, "Welcome to Tar Valon, Alianor Tarawindred. Welcome to the White Tower Novice Alianor."

Rising from her desk Valeri went to the large ornate wardrobe that stood in the far corner of her study. From it she withdrew a pair of dresses, stockings, several shifts, slippers, a belt and a pouch, all in pristine Novice white. Setting the bundle in Alianor's lap she added a wooden token engraved with her own name.

"These will see you through the first few days child," she explained "take the token to the seamstresses when you can and they will make more for you as you require."

Taking her seat again she explained the basic rules of the Tower then spoke again, "Do you have anything to ask before i summon someone to show you to your new room Alianor?"

Valeri Kinaea

• 2 months later...

'Novice Alianor' seemed to ring in her ears. She knew that this was the end of the Lady Alianor. She was now a Novice, there was both a thrill of excitement within her and a flash of anger. She was giving up her life as a noble, her family, but in years to come she knew she would be something more worthy, an Aes Sedai. She knew a little of the White Tower, having met a number of Aes Sedai during her time in Cairhein, she knew that nobles were as nothing compared to the sisters. Did the power and grandeur of Tar Valon and the White Tower not prove this. She steeled herself and answered the question.

"I have nothing to ask, Aes Sedai" She would find out all she needed to in time she was sure. She would do her best to reach the shawl, she knew not all women did. But a fire of determination was burning within her, she would give up her noble status in return for that of a sister of Tar Valon. It would not be easy she knew, it was not liking being born into a noble family, she wold have to earn her place. A look of determination settled on her face ans she said half to herself "I am ready."

Her new life was about to begin.

(OOC - very sorry this took so long, I forget about it, my bad!)

Valeri smiled at the newest Novice of the White Tower seated before her. Lifting the brass bell from her desk Valeri rang it soundlessly. The weave she had set on it would sound the toll of the bell in the ear of the closest Novice or Accepted to her study. Setting the bell back down, Valeri channeled the teapot hot with a small thread of fire and poured them both fresh cups.

"Someone will be along in the next few minutes to show you to the Novices Quarters and the rest of the White Tower, Alianor." Valeri said and then sipped her tea.

As she set the cup back down there came a scratching at the door and when it opened it revealed a fair haired Novice, "Yes, Valeri Sedai?" she enquired.

"Please take Alianor here to the Novice Quarters and see her settled into a room. Then show her the Dining Hall and the rest of the Tower." Valeri turned to Alianor, "And Alianor, my study door is always open if you should have need of me."

The pair of Novices curtsied before they left and Valeri smiled in satisfaction as she pushed the door closed with a thread of air.

Valeri Kinaea