DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

An Impertinent Initiate

keyholder21

Miahna reigned in the gray mare she was riding and dismounted, leading the horse into the White Tower’s immense stables. Today’s ride had reminded her that she needed to find a new horse. That and get out of the Tower. At the behest of Regalia and the First Selector she’d stuck around to organize some information, but her skin was starting to itch. Ever since she’d acquired the ring the Arafellin hadn’t stayed in the same place longer than a few months and this ‘visit’ was going on three.

She tossed the reigns to a tall skinny groom who had appeared in front of her. The poor lad had ears bigger than his hands but he was deft with horses. Mimi always made sure to have him handle her mounts when he was on duty. With a quick exchange of pleasantries, the Blue walked out of the shade of the stables and into the sunshine.

The grounds were filled with trainees – both Warders and Accepted – and Aes Sedai alike. The men fought with practice swords or ‘lounged’ with their Sisters. Not that a Warder ever lounged. The younger girls sat reading or making eyes at the young men in training. After the cold snap that had blown through for a few days everyone seemed to be relishing in the heat of the sun. Miahna smiled and nodded to several Sisters and curtsying Accepted as she made her way back to the Tower. The silver bells at the ends of her braids tinkled merrily in the light breeze. It seemed a perfect day.

She had retreated halfway up the brilliant steps when the Blue heard some shouting. As she was naturally curious, Miahna turned around and stepped back down the stairs toward the commotion. She’d always been curious, but it had increased tenfold since she’d chosen Blue. Now it seemed customary to be in the middle of everything. She walked briskly toward the noises. A few Accepted tittered at the yells and looked toward the sounds but Mimi waved them away. Those girls had more important things they need to get done.

“Ah!” exclaimed a loud voice in Miahna’s direction, followed shortly by a finger pointing at her, “let Miahna have a try. As a Borderlander she should be able to handle this one!” Mimi stopped short in front of a pair of Aes Sedai and a young girl. Cocking an eyebrow and crossing her arms, the Blue eyed the women with a disapproving stare. The two were young, sure, but they were Aes Sedai and behaving like children.

Hanna, the Sister that had spoken and a fellow Blue of Mimi’s, practically shoved the girl toward the older woman. “Take her to Valeri would you?” she said in a rush. Her plump face was flushed and her nostrils flared in irritation. The other Aes Sedai, a Green that was Raised with Hanna at least had the grace to look embarrassed as Miahna stared them down. She didn’t look any less annoyed though. Taking Hanna’s arm, the Green steered the two of them around Mimi and up the stairs at a decidedly speedy pace.

The Arafellin spared the younger woman a glance before turning to the matter at hand. Mimi uncrossed her arms and looked at the girl – short with pale skin and long curly brown hair – before pivoting on her heel and stalking AGAIN toward the Tower. “Come along now.” She said with a firm but welcoming voice. “What did you do to have them all atwitter?”

Lyra de la Courcel looked around the stables, trying to come across as not impressed since she of course had seen far better horses and large stables, maybe, some where, surely she had when she was with her father. Even as her gaze slid over the stables and she tucked a strand of unruly brown curly hair behind her ear, she couldn't help but be drawn back to the white architecture of the Tower of Tar Valon. It seems to take up the whole sky and reach to the heavens, she thought to herself. She could tell she was gawking again and hoped she hadn't been caught, she stole a glance at the two Sisters who had dismounted from their horses with a some what ginger and awkward stance. She smirked to herself before she winced as her own bottom stung and grimaced in pain and annoyance. Shrugging off the pain and huffing in impatience to herself she almost brushed past the Sisters just to get a move on, curious to see all the hustling and bustling that was going on. Instead she just walked at a quick pace into the middle of the stable while making sure not to come in contact with the two still cranky women.

There were more people out and about today than she had seen in her whole trip here, including a lot of little town they had passed through, and as she walked forward she saw there were even more stables and even some fine pieces of horseflesh in the more isolated stalls down the way. Curiosity won out on her this time when she saw a large and glorious black stallion trying to reach for a bucket to the side of his stall, yet before she even took two steps the sister named Hanna grabbed her none to gently by the arm and began walking towards the towering building.

"Where are we going now Hanna.. sedai? What will happen to my things? Are we going to have a meal soon?" She asked while looking up at the woman as best she could, being short was not going to help her around here it seemed since many of the lithe and dangerous looking men looked to be quite tall. She also remember the "sedai" part at the last minute, even though Hanna squeezed her arm a little harder as if to reprimand her... again.

Before more questions could come out, not caring that the two were talking over her, the three traveling companions came to a halt and Lyra was forced to turn and look at what had stopped them. It appeared to be Arafellin woman, a rather stern looking one at that. Lyra curiously watched the glances and exchanges between the three women, that is until the woman merely glanced at her and said nothing... Nothing at all to her! She almost growled and wretched her arm from Hanna's hand but held still as the reminder of a sore bum floated through her head.

Suddenly the new woman, an Aes Sedai she assumed, nodded and turned on heel, while telling Lyra to come along... as if she was some kind of dog! Before Lyra opened her mouth while she followed the newest woman into the tower she asked in a firmer voice than either of the other two had EVER used with her, "What did you do to have them all atwitter?"

Attempting to maintain a some what polite manner despite being treated like a pet to follow obediently, she refrained from smirking and replied "Which time Aes Sedai? The time I added powdered ice peppers to their dinner when they made me cook for them? Or the crushed up itching powder on their fresh laundered clothing when they made me wade in the river to clean them? Or may hap it was when they made me saddle all the horses after brushing them down and some burs found their way under the blankets on the saddles?"

Taking a moment to catch her breath she plowed right on with her questions, "Where are we going now? And my things? And who is Valeri?"

Not surprisingly, the girl followed her. She did manage to maintain her haughty voice though as she answered Miahna’s question. "Which time Aes Sedai? The time I added powdered ice peppers to their dinner when they made me cook for them? Or the crushed up itching powder on their fresh laundered clothing when they made me wade in the river to clean them? Or may hap it was when they made me saddle all the horses after brushing them down and some burs found their way under the blankets on the saddles?" The Blue smiled inwardly. The girl definitely had some fight in her. Mimi slowed as they finished going up the steps and walked into the Tower proper.

Lifting her chin, the girl asked a set of reasonable questions. "Where are we going now? And my things? And who is Valeri?" Her tone and demeanor were that of a spoiled child who always got her way. Miahna almost chuckled to herself. This girl would have a rough first year at the Tower. Did she think that Aes Sedai hadn’t seen their fair share of women who thought they were entitled, or did she really think they were going to give into her every whim? At that thought the Blue did quirk up one side of her mouth for a moment. Oh Valeri will have fun with this one.

Using the same firm voice, Miahna decided to answer the girl since her questions were reasonable. “I am taking you to the Mistress of Novices child, where you will be entered into the novice book and then be an initiate of the White Tower. Valeri Sedai is the afore mentioned Mistress of Novices. She will further instruct you on what to do and how to act when you are entered. I will give you a free piece of advice, however, and tell you to drop your chin and the idea that this world is yours and yours alone. You have had your fun,” she quirked a quick smile again and gave the girl a quick glance, “and I suspect you will have more, but remember that training to be Aes Sedai is serious and must be taken so.

Now then, you have the look of Cairhein about you, but have the fight and speech of Saldaea, what’s your name child?”

The travel worn and curious girl watched and waited for the explosion that was sure to follow after she explained what she had done on her way here. And yet, it never came. Lyra wasn't sure whether she was disappointed that this woman said nothing, or relieved because her bum still hurt, but only a tad of course. Instead of blowing up, or yelling, or something, the woman continued on and actually answered her questions instead of just replying, "In time you will see. Be patient," like the other two had done.

“I am taking you to the Mistress of Novices child, where you will be entered into the novice book and then be an initiate of the White Tower. Valeri Sedai is the afore mentioned Mistress of Novices. She will further instruct you on what to do and how to act when you are entered..."

Lyra barely contained herself before she rolled her eyes while listening to the explanation. She couldn't help but think to herself that this woman she was being taken to was probably another pompous woman who would treat her as dirt, much like the sisters on the way here. Even this woman who was able to remain calm and actually seemed some what competent had treated her like a pet. She had yet to meet a proper woman who knew what she was and who she was. She would also wager that not a single one of them would know how to even survive a single day in Saldaea, much less know some of the finer arts.

Before the novice-to-be finished thinking, the woman continued on.

"I will give you a free piece of advice, however, and tell you to drop your chin and the idea that this world is yours and yours alone. You have had your fun, and I suspect you will have more, but remember that training to be Aes Sedai is serious and must be taken so."

Lyra wanted to narrow her eyes at this woman. She knew that she could be bossy and she knew the world wasn't hers. She couldn't help being curious though, or be worried about her possessions, or want to know where she was being taken in a new place. Her eyes nearly bulged at the "fun" part. Fun! FUN! She had been a hard working daughter of a traveling merchant all her life. She KNEW people, and knew how to get them what they wanted. That was not "fun", that was a respectable way of life. And as she continued to listen the woman said this was a serious training. I sure as bloody hell hope its serious seeing as how I was taken away from my family and made to be something akin to a servant for the time it took to get here, she thought to herself.

"Now then, you have the look of Cairhein about you, but have the fight and speech of Saldaea, what’s your name child?” the Aes Sedai finished.

It took Lyra a moment to control herself, wanting to prove she could not be bossy, or to let is show she was surprised the woman had pegged her heritage. "It's Lyra de la Courcel, Mam'. ..... Mam? Are we almost there yet?"

The Blue smiled inwardly again as she watched the emotions flitter across the girl’s face: anger, surprise, indignation, and finally restraint. Apparently the girl could control herself to some extent. That was good – by the sounds of her she’d need it in the time to come. "It's Lyra de la Courcel, Mam'. ..... Mam? Are we almost there yet?"

Mimi gave a small laugh in surprise at the ma’am part. She had forgotten how young some of the new girls could be. The year she’d come to the Tower she had been older than this one was now. “Hello Lyra, I’m Miahna Sedai. The correct honorific is to add the ‘Sedai’ on the end of our names. Hanna Sedai should have explained that to you. Apologies to you if she didn’t.”

The Arafellin instructed Lyra to turn left as they hit an intersection of hallways. She followed the girl around the corner and then finished answering her questions. “Yes, we are near to the Mistress of Novices’ offices. I’m pleased for you that you can control your tongue should you choose. It’s a good start, and much better than some of your peers. Some of the initiates who can’t keep their mouth shut find a hard time sleeping.” She grinned widely at the girl.

The traffic thinned out as they neared Valeri’s office. Her door was closed; a thin strip of light shone out at the bottom. Mimi motioned toward a set of chairs and asked Lyra to take a seat for a moment. As the girl sat, the pouty look starting to reform on her features, the Blue poked her head and said a few muffled words with the Mistress of Novices. The conversation ended shortly and she pulled the door closed again as she withdrew.

“It seems Valeri Sedai is momentarily occupied.” She sat down next to the girl. A girl in novice white ran by, squeaked, curtsied and murmured a quick apology before running off again. Miahna raised an eyebrow at the streak of white before turning back to Lyra. At the risk of staying here all night , she thought briefly, “Do you have any more questions you need answered child?”

Lyra watched carefully and followed the Aes Sedai in front of her who had just answered her question. She was not sure what to think of this woman, this woman who had just laughed at her. Lyra was so surprised by the laugh that she almost forgot about the "Aes Sedai" talk that she had already received several times since her journey began.

Miahna huh? She thought after the woman gave Lyra her name. Why would she laugh? Had she done something funny? She wasn't laughing at her name was she? Was she laughing at her? What gave her the right to do that? Yet before these thoughts continued on, she was directed to a seat in front of a dimly lit door. As she opened her mouth to question if this was where they were headed, Miahna opened the door and spoke to someone inside leaving Lyra expectantly to sit down. Closing her mouth with a snap of irritation, she huffed and sat somewhat gingerly down on the bench. Feeling a little worn down from everything that had been happening in her life, she leaned against the wall only to sit straight back up as the cold shocked her through the dress. "You would think that they could at least keep things warm around this place with all their fancy names and such," she muttered to herself.

She made sure that the woman who had lead her here didn't over hear her and sat in silence for a moment. Slipping back into more internal mutterings, she thought about the two women in the room behind her. What could they be talking about... was she telling this new woman about her trip here? And the things she did? Suddenly a white clad girl, looking to be only a little older than her, seemed to scurry by her in fear. Lyra blinked. She didn't THINK that she had been staring nastily while she spaced out for a moment. So it must have been something else, something to cause her to be skittish and meek. Lyra narrowed her eyes in thought and jumped only a tad when Miahna sat down next to her and informed her that this new woman was busy at the moment.

"Did you have any questions?"

Lyra immediately had barrage questions that came to mind. "Who was that girl just now? Why was she so skittish? Is it because she is what I will become? Because I will NOT become some milk water slip of a girl afraid of her own shadow. How long do we have to wait here? And what is Valeri Sedai so busy with? Where were you going when we got here? And will I get my things soon? Where are all your servants? I am not going to become a servant for you Aes Sedai. And why is it so blasted cold against this wall? Can't this place be heated properly?"

The lass standing before Valeri straightened with tears in her eyes ad surreptitiously rubbed her bottom.

"Now child, this is the last time I shall be seeing you in my office for committing pranks on Aldesa Sedai, isn't it." It was not a question.

"Yes, Valeri Sedai." the child whimpered.

"Very good. You will go straight to the kitchens now and report to Mistress Laras. This will begin a week of evenings scrubbing pots. This is your last warning Helani, I understand that you do not like the private lessons you have been receiving from Aldesa Sedai, but frogs in her bed, mud in her cosmetics pots and sheepstongue root in her tea is not acceptable behaviour for a Novice. If I see you here again Helani, you will have far more to worry about than a sore bottom and wrinkly pot hands."

Valeri rose and pulled open the door, "Now Helani, off with you." Valeri instructed. Looking around she saw Miahna waiting with her newest charge on the bench to the right of her door, "Ahh Miahna! Thank you for waiting, please come in, both of you."

Valeri channelled to warm a fresh pot of her favourite blend of Saldaean tea - it always did remind her of home. The carried the pots and three cups to the table. With a flow of air she floated a third chair across the expanse of her office to rest beside the first on the far side of her desk. Taking a seat she smiled at the child seated to Mianha's right. "Child, would you pour the tea please."

Valeri Kinaea

Mistress of Novices

Lyra never got any answers to her questions as the door opened and the woman Valeri appeared. Irked at not being able to get the information she wanted, she sullenly followed Miahna into the room. Glancing around the room she watched with avid fascination at the woman behind the desk as she moved the tea set and chair slowly across the room. There was something different, something Lyra couldn't put her finger on when she did that... then all of a sudden the chair stopped moving and she changed back again. It was like the woman was, brighter some how. Blinking she shrugged it off as being travel worn and just her eyes adjusting to the light in the room.

Yet as she shrugged that off, she couldn't help but wonder if that was what she was going to be able to do some day, what it would feel like. She only vaguely remembered her testing in what seemed once upon a time. She had sat and stared at the stone in Hanna's hands for what seemed half an evening before the woman proclaimed she could be taught.

Seeing Miahna take a seat, Lyra began to take the empty one when the woman behind the table spoke, "Child, would you pour the tea please."

Lyra de la Courcel was furious. This new woman was just another pompous woman who treated her like a servant girl in some inn. She glanced at Miahna and found her watching her, almost as if in challenge. With a sniff and a firm grip she grabbed the pot of tea and splashed it in the cups more roughly than normal but without spilling a drop as would be expected of her by her mother. Setting it down to the point of almost breaking the fine china, she dropped into her seat and crossed her arms and just stared at the woman behind the desk.

Valeri raised an eyebrow as the lass' temper rose. Her face was flushed with anger, from a simple thing as being told to pour tea. Slamming the teapot back down a hairsbreath from breaking it she slumped sullenly back into the chair, folded her arms beneath her breasts and glared across the desk at Valeri.

"That will be quite enough thank you lass." Valeri said in a mild tone. The girl started to huff again and Valeri continued, "Now, perhaps you would like to tell me your name and what brings you to the White Tower yes?"

The child's eyes flashed again as she sat up in her chair. Valeri raised that eyebrow again, daring the girl to continue with her tantrum, and then lifting her teacup she sipped at her tea.

Valeri Kinaea

Mistress of Traditional Novices

Miahna lifted an eyebrow as Lyra sounded off another set of questions. The girl certainly had a lot of fire in her. Fire was good, now the girl needed to learn how to control it. Shaking her dark braids, the Blue set to answer some of the questions and remind the girl what she’d said on the way to Valeri’s office: questions were fine but she needed to work on the attitude.

There wasn’t time to answer, however, as the Mistress of Novices opened her door. A girl in novice white practically ran out of the room, tears still leaking from the corners of her eyes and a hand trying to rubbing her bottom. The Arafellin quirked a small smile as the girl rounded the corner. I have a feeling this one will be feeling that way soon… The Aes Sedai smiled at the elder woman as she invited the pair of them inside. Mimi wasn’t sure what Valeri wanted her in there for, but it was always a pleasure to chat with an old friend, new novice or not.

The smell of Saldaean tea hit Miahna’s nose as they walked into the office. She nearly sighed with relief. That was one of the things that kept her coming back to the Tower: the seemingly endless supply of good tea. Too many places had heinously weak liquid that they called tea and they didn’t understand her disdain for it. She smiled at Valeri as the Mistress of Novices wrapped a chair in a weave of Air and brought it in front of the desk. Taking a seat, Miahna settled back into the comfortable chair. Lyra took a seat next to her, a sullen look growing on her face.

"Child, would you pour the tea please." Valeri said in a moderate tone. The Blue hid a smile as the girl jerked upright in her chair immediately furious. She watched as the soon to be novice gritted her teeth and then turned to stare at Mimi. Miahna stared back, challenging the girl to keep her temper in check and actually follow the order. Lyra sniffed and roughly grasped the pot. The heavenly dark liquid sloshed around but did not fall out. The two Aes Sedai shared a quick smile as the young girl poured.

Lyra slumped back into her seat and glared at Valeri. Mimi took a sip of her tea and chuckled silently into her cup. This girl does not know what she’s getting into… She breathed in the scent of the drink again before she replaced it on the saucer. "That will be quite enough thank you lass." Valeri said in a mild tone. Lyra started to huff again but Valeri merely talked over her fidgeting, "Now, perhaps you would like to tell me your name and what brings you to the White Tower yes?" Miahna put on her serene face as the girl looked to her before answering the Mistress of Novices.

Miahna Telonne

Aes Sedai of the Blue Ajah

Sitting up in her chair, she watched the new woman arch an eye brow at her and ask for her name and why she was here. Lyra contemplated it for a moment, wondering why she was really here. She hadn't been treated the best, almost more like a serving girl since she was taken on by the Aes Sedai. She had thought that all Aes Sedai where honorable and fierce woman... but as she had progressively seen more and more of them, she wasn't so sure any more. Sure some of them like Miahna seemed to have a little, but most of them came across as dog trainers or self imposed high ladies.

Yet Lyra was never one to give up, she didn't know what to make of the woman called Aes Sedai these days, but she had to admit her curiosity at both what these women really were like, and what it would feel like to move things with the power. Coming to a conclusion on how to answer she finally spoke up.

"I am Lyra de la Courcel. The proud and only daughter of the merchant Joscelin de la Courcel. We came upon a couple Aes Sedai in one of our spots along the route we use to get to Saldaea. I wanted to know a few things about them and what they do and made them test me. I think much to every one's surprise I could and was then rushed away the next day to be taken here. I am not sure I really had a choice at this point. It didn't seem like it when I tried to ask questions of the two women who escorted me here. So that is that. I don't know if I want to be here any more to be honest, but I am curious to see if any one here actually meets what I think of when I say Aes Sedai."

Valeri sat listening to the lass' self-important tirade about Aes Sedai not meeting her expectations and thought to herself that she was in for a rude shock if she thought she would be allowed to continue this attitude as an initiate of the White Tower.

"No one has said you must be here child. You may leave if you choose. Without training you will never touch the One Power and thus are not a danger to yourself or others. You are free to leave now, before I enter your name in the Novice Book, but if you chose to stay then stay you will. Once you commence your training you will not be permitted to leave until you are Aes Sedai or the Tower deems you not to be a danger to yourself or the greater community."

Valeri paused to allow her words to sink in, then continued "If you would like to leave now I am sure Mianha Sedai here will escort you home. I believe she is headed for the borderlands anyway."

Valeri lifted her teacup, sipped her tea then waited for the girl's reply. If she really wanted to be Aes Sedai she would not be turned away, but Valeri was sure that it was Lyra's Saldaean upbringing which was the culprit in this situation.

Smiling she remembered her own arrival at the White Tower all those years ago. Her own attitude that the daughter of House Kinaea in Saldaea be treated like a maidservant had soon been trained out of her.

Setting her teacup back down she waited for Lyra's decision.

Valeri Kinaea

• 5 weeks later...

Lyra watched and listened to the woman and nearly dropped her jaw when she learned she had a choice to leave. She glanced at Miahna sitting there merely sipping tea, and then back to the Valeri woman. Thinking about how she had been treated like nothing but a servant was still fresh in her mind, yet tinkling in the back of her thoughts was her recent conclusion. She was always true to her word, especially to herself, and so her stubbornness won out and she said the three little words that would keep her to it.

"Sign me up."

She couldn't help it but her hands in her lap clenched and a new sense of awareness settled over her. She knew her whole life had just changed.

• 2 weeks later...

(OOC Sorry Limi!! Just got my laptop back today)

"Sign me up."

Valeri smiled inwardly, she had know the key to Lyra had been giving her a choice. No Saldaean girl Valeri had ever met liked being told what she had to do, but if a choice was involved that would give the girl a feeling of power over her own destiny. Valeri shared a slight smile with Miahna, the Sister's eyes twinkled in mirth above the rim of her teacup.

"We will be glad to have you here with us Lyra." then Valeri did smile at the lass, a warm approving smile. Setting her teacup back on its saucer Valeri reached down to the bottom drawer in her desk, carefully she lifted the aged leather-bound book and set it on the desk top. Valeri turned the warded pages to the most recent entries, took up her pen, loaded it with ink from the inkwell and then looked up at Lyra. The lass appeared self-assured, but the way she slightly caught her lower lip belied just a hint of nervousness.

"Now child, can you tell me your full name, place of birth and your age please."

As Lyra spoke Valeri filled the details into the prescribed coloums of the Novice Book. She finished the entry with her own signature. Carefully sanding the entry, Valeri returned the sand to its jar and looked up at the child seated before her, "Welcome to Tar Valon Lyra de la Courcel. Welcome to the White Tower Novice Lyra."

Valeri rose from her seat and went to the large ornate wardrobe in the far corner and from within took out a pair of dresses, shifts, slippers, a belt and pouch. All in pristine Novice white. She set the pile of clothing in the girl's lap, laid a wooden token engraved with her own name on the top and returned to her seat. "These will see you through the next few days child, when you have time take the token to the seamstresses and they will measure and sew you dresses to fit you properly."

"Now child, do you have any further questions before i summon someone to take you to your new quarters?"

Valeri Kinaea

(OOC is ok! ^^ Life Happens)

Lyra followed along and answered, some what in a haze, and some what tiredly. When her new clothing-to-be came out, she could help but scowl at how plain, and simple it was, but ended up internally consoling herself that she would at least be able to get it tailored. Nodding as she was supposed to, she listened some what sullenly as Valeri Sedai explained. Valeri finished explaining, and ended with a simple question.

"Now child, do you have any further questions before I summon someone to take you to your new quarters?"

"Where have my things been taken? My clothing? My horse?" Lyra asked as controlled as she could; thoughts of the feeling paniced girl were still fresh in her thoughts. She wanted to establish that she wasn't going to become a milk sop just because she was now one of them in training.

"Where have my things been taken? My clothing? My horse?" Lyra appeared to be trying to control her emotions, and doing quite well for a Novice, and a Saldaean at that.

"Your horse has been stabled at the West Gate Stable with those belonging to other Novices and Accepted. The grooms there are quite well trained and your mount will be well cared for. Your things have been taken to your room. Tonight you may sort through them and select a few personal items to keep with you. When you get to your room you will also find a large trunk. Pack your belongings into it and in the morning the porters will take it away to be stored for you will such time as you are raised Aes Sedai or put out of the Tower."

Valeri lifted the small brass bell from her desk, originally a gift from her parents when she was leaving for the Tower, Valeri had set a weave on it to produce the ringing at the ear of the closest Novice or Accepted to her study. Twisting her wrist Valeri rang the small bell, she set the bell down and knew that someone would be there to escort Lyra to her room shortly.

Sure enough after just a few minutes there was a quiet knock at the door. "Come" Valeri replied to the knock.

The door pushed inward and a Novice stepped into the room. "Ahh Mirella" Valeri said to the Novice in the doorway. She was a tall lanky girl, now in her mid twenties, Mirella had been a Novice for some 10 years, and was probably not far off being raised to Accepted, if she could concentrate on her lessons rather than trying to sneak away with that young Tower guard. "Mirella, this is Lyra. She is newly come to the Tower. Take her to her new room and show her how to find her way within the Tower."

"Yes, Valeri Sedai." the girl replied.

"Lyra, my door is always open to you if you have need of me. Go now, Mirella will show you to your room and then to the Dining Hall, supper will be served soon."

Valeri Kinaea

Nodding as Lyra listened to the explanation given by Valeri Sedai, thinking to herself all the while about which pieces she would keep, and if there was a way to get a message to the stable yards in warning that her horse had better be taken care of. When the woman in front of her has finished, she picked up a small bell an rang it, and in several moments, a tall older woman in white entered and curtsied.

"Mirella, this is Lyra. She is newly come to the Tower. Take her to her new room and show her how to find her way within the Tower."

"Yes, Valeri Sedai." the girl replied.

"Lyra, my door is always open to you if you have need of me. Go now, Mirella will show you to your room and then to the Dining Hall, supper will be served soon."

Narrowing her eyes at the tone, and being ordered already, she simply nodded in understanding, and tried to once again, resign herself to being on the bottom now.

Standing up to go she glanced once more at Mihana, and at the woman behind the desk before turning to fallow yet another person in this new place. She hated being dependent upon so many people, positive if they let her go, with a small description of where she was supposed to head, she would be fine. Huffing to herself, she walked out the door and into the hall, and onto bigger and better things.

Lyra De La Courcel

Novice of the White Tower