DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Wheel of Time Tattoo

Guest MattZupka

Guest MattZupka

I have a friend from high school, and he just did a WoT themed piece of tattoo work. (Not on me) I've included a pic of the work...

ws7Hm.jpg

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

yeah, it would be best without colour, but still pretty sweet!

I always wanted to get a dragon on my arm like an aiel clan cheif.....like a big huge gold and red one.....but then i'm like, do i rally wanna be known as the guy with the geek tattoo my whole life?

Skrew it, i'll probably get it done one day...

When I went to Dcon once I was told there are some incorrect stuff about it... like the wheel isn't right and the snake should go the other way... personally I'm not one of those crazed detail people... so I ain't bothered. But I figured I'd note it just in case someone wants to get a similar one.

Nyn

I always wanted to get a dragon on my arm like an aiel clan cheif.....like a big huge gold and red one.....but then i'm like, do i rally wanna be known as the guy with the geek tattoo my whole life?
I heard that lasers can remove the "permanent" kind of tattoo. Or might see if someone could design a sticker version of it.

As of now, I never had a tattoo of any kind; not sure why.

When I went to Dcon once I was told there are some incorrect stuff about it... like the wheel isn't right and the snake should go the other way... personally I'm not one of those crazed detail people... so I ain't bothered. But I figured I'd note it just in case someone wants to get a similar one.

Nyn

I actually like the metallic modern look of it, kind of steampunkish.

• 1 month later...

looks like this thread is a little old but not totally stale... I had wanted to get a tattoo for several years, and my coworker started to get a bunch of work done by a local artist which helped peak my interest. After September 2007 I decided I wanted to get a wot tattoo and spent the next few months deciding what I wanted to do. I got a gift certificate for christmas 2007, and finally had the guts to make an appointment mid-Jan... did the serpent and wheel... it's about the size of an orange. The artist said I went "balls deep" for a first tattoo. I also like the metallic look of the UK paperback "Knife of Dreams" logo which was what I presented to the artist, except I wanted it in blue instead of steel / chrome, because blue is my favorite color. I got another gift certificate for Father's Day in 2008, and finally decided what I wanted... blew up a chapter icon and removed the box w/ photo-shop... got the outline done in October 2008. Got a late birthday present in April 2010 and got the dragon shaded in. (tax return!) I think my next step will be to add the spear and banner, avendesora leaves like on the map compass / traditional wot symbol to my serpent / wheel except I think I'm going to use Rand's heron marked sword instead or Mat's ashandarei instead of the spear... or a combination of those two plus perrin's axe or hammer... not sure yet though. Anyway... the serpent / wheel is on the outside of my right calf and the serpent is on the inside (technically front, inside, and back, since it wraps around... I couldn't believe when we got the transfer blown up to the right size it was like 10" long) I told Heather (the artist) ahead of my appointment that the dragon was supposed to be "scarlet with a golden mane" and let her figure out how to shade it... she had sketched out some shading on grayscale on paper when I had the outline done, which was before I decided to make it color... glad I did though, she nailed it. I still need to go back for some touching up, but I figured I would get that done when I add more to it. Oh, and on the serpent / wheel orientation I actually chose to reverse the image vs. the uk paperback's cover, I wanted the serpent head coming in from the left going forward on my calf, and I liked how it made the sword blade wagon spokes have the leading edge forward.

11tattoo1.jpg

11tattoo2.jpg

11tattoo3.jpg

I have been thinking for quite some time about doing a dragon inspired by the chapter icon over a crappy tribal I did in the 90s.

Problems are

a) it requires a lot of money (planning on one that goes from elbow to shoulder)

b) finding a tattoo artist who understands what i'm on about.

I've got the wheel and snake in black on the inside of my left wrist and the ancient Aes Sedai symbol on the inside of my right wrist. I like 'em well enough, and one time they got me into a discussion with a bouncer about Verin ending in me getting free drinks all night :D

• Community Administrator

If I ever got a tatoo, it would have to be something that I could scare children with...

Like a Gremlin trying to devour my arm.

Or a tatoo that you move a certain way, and it apears to be trying to jump out at someone...

I wonder if they've ever perfected holographic tatoos yet? :P

I am very tempted to get the wheel & snake version done. The only real issue, and it's a biggie. I have a low pain tolerance and hate needles :sad: I do think though that some of them look really nice, I did a Google search for WoT tattoos and saw one of woman who had two dice and it's time to toss the dice - except written in old tongue at the base of her neck, it looked really neat.

I do have a cross-stitch version of the WoT symbol hanging on my wall near the books that my girlfriend made for me.

• 2 weeks later...

If only I wasn't such a coward for pain, I'd get one done.

Thom, I have to say. I was completely surprised at how little they hurt.

For my birthday, by wife paid for my first tattoo. I had been told that the calf was one of the most painful places to get one, especially toward the back of the knee, and the achilles area. The artist told me that this was the only area that it hurt to get one of his done. But it only stung a little at first, and for the most part just felt like an extra fine tip pen being dragged on my skin. It started to burn a bit toward the end, but this was a four-hour session with a lot of shading and filling.

Here's a pic for reference. Sorry, it's not WoT-related... It's about 8"x5"

39156_509612461873_149200430_30300911_2135398_n.jpg

Here is the Before and After my WoT Tat. The first time I got it was about 14 years and the new one was just updated.

Patrick Minze

http://PatrickMinze.com

[twitter]Pminze[/twitter]

It is something like the one that you have that I want to get on my back. It has been something that I have been thinking about for years. I just have so many back problems that I cannot imagine getting it done. I have no idea any more...lol.

yeah, that's pretty nice. I really like how the banner looks on the spear - great color / shading.

@thom / xader - In comparison to the front or the back of my leg, yeah, the very back of my calf was the most sensitive part... I thought it would have been the area over my shin but it wasn't so bad there. Really I didn't think any of it was too terribly bad at all, a couple times was enough to make me cringe and take notice, but definitely not something that would prevent me from doing it again (or in the first place)

Archived