DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Mistborn: The Hero of Ages

-ZanMgt- OneNight

I have the book and before I begin my "Week of Silence" I will read the Prologue.

Prologue.

• My first thoughts, NOOOO! Now Marsh has turned all wacko and psychotic. Although I guess that he does try to kill himself so maybe he will turn good. I am very interested in learning more about this Hemalurgy.

Yay! I now will finally be able to read the first chapter the Mistborn: The Hero of Ages! Here we go.

Chapter 1.

• The "blurb" seems to be about Vin this time, I wonder if this will be better than the other "blurbs".

• Elend seems different. I guess having (after a lot of training and time) the arrogance of a King and afterward becoming a Mistborn, Elend has finally become exactly what he needs to be to hold his empire together.

• Wow, I don't quite know what to think of this new Elend. I like the way he is now, but I also liked the way he was before... I guess I will have to read more to form a better opinion.

• Attacking Koloss? ... I think I am liking the new Elend better.

Chapter 2.

• Poor TenSoon. Facing death or eternal captivity for doing the right thing. Of course since he is a main character he will be freed by someone. However I believe this experience will make him unwilling to help out the Good Guys again.

Chapter 3.

• Hmm, this "recap" on how everything works is irritating, I know how it works and I do not wanted repeated to me.

• Ahhh there we go, back to fight scenes without explaining how everything works, I missed these fight scenes.

• That is interesting, having Steel Inquisitors around controlling all the Koloss. A good way to gain control. I like the way this book is going.

• Cool chapter.

Chapter 4.

• lol, Emo-Sazed! But seriously this is a weird Sazed to see. And what is with Breeze being all better now?

• I thought Jastes Lekel was the one to gain power, and then was thrown out? I also thought his entire family was killed... Must have read it wrong I guess...

• This new Emo-Sazed is interesting but I hope it ends soon.

Chapter 5.

• Well I now officially like these "blurbs" better than any other. They feel... right... I can't think of a better way to say it.

• Why is there so much supplies in the Ministry building? I guess it will be explained later but right now I am very confused.

• Ahh so the Lord Ruler made all of this. I wonder why he did such a thing? Why even assume that he might be killed and anyone would find these caverns?

• Atium cache? I thought they already had that... I must have read that wrong. I find it odd that I keep finding things that I read wrong.

• The last bit on the plate the Lord Ruler left reads,
    Be careful what you speak, it read. It can hear what you say. It can read what you
    write. Only your thoughts are safe.

I thought that if you write things in metal that it cannot read or alter it... Could someone explain this to me?

I will do one more chapter tonight because it is a short one.

Chapter 6.

• Yay! Proof that Marsh is good! I knew he could not have turned ev----

• ---- (stairs straight forward with mouth open) Wow... His attitude just turned on a dime... Maybe he is evil...

AARRGGHH!! I really want to read another chapter but I am to tired right now to do so... Maybe I could just read a little more... I will quick check the length of this chapter... Alrighty it is short enough I will do one more.

Chapter 7.

• That is a lot of generations. I had assumed there was only five or six. Not eleven... The Kandra are very interesting I would really like to read more about them.

Alright that is all for me tonight. So far I am really liking this book. More so than the other two books I think. I will have to read the rest of it until that is established however.

I wish you all a good night and a pleasant Thanksgiving. Drive safely.

The last bit on the plate the Lord Ruler left reads,

Be careful what you speak, it read. It can hear what you say. It can read what you

I thought that if you write things in metal that it cannot read or alter it... Could someone explain this to me?

The Lord Ruler is just telling the truth because 9 times out of 10, you won't have sheets of metal to etch your thoughts, so you need to watch what you say or write.

The last bit on the plate the Lord Ruler left reads,

The Lord Ruler is just telling the truth because 9 times out of 10, you won't have sheets of metal to etch your thoughts, so you need to watch what you say or write.

I got the impression that things written in metal could be read by him, but not altered? maybe I'm remembering this wrong though.

Chapter 8.

• I hope Elend does not change yet again, but the way Vin was talking to him about the deaths from the Mists it sounds like he will.

• Somehow I just knew that Brandon would put a Koloss next to one of the main characters and show that Koloss are intelligent. I don't quite know what to think of it though... I kind of like it, but I also think they were fine as mindless beasts.

Chapter 9.

• AHHH! I keep getting really interested in reading more about the Kandra, and every time I get completely zoned into it, the chapter ends! Oh well. I really enjoy these TenSoon chapters I just wish there were more...

Chapter 10.

• I actually fine Emo-Sazed very entertaining. Of course I hope he gets out of it soon.

• While I am glad that Breeze has not gone mental, I wish there was more explanation on how he suddenly got better.

Chapter 11

• Strangely I don't have much to say in these Kandra chapters...

Chapter 12.

• Because of that mentality that Elend has of the Emperor having to make everything better I am afraid will break Elend in the future. I hope it doesn't but it looks that way.

Chapter 13.

• Ohhhhh! So the reason Marsh's attitude changed so fast in his last chapter was because Ruin grabbed a hold of him again! Now I believe that he will end as a good guy.

Chapter 14.

• It looks like Spoof character is finally becoming useful. I look forward to reading more of his chapters soon.

• Wow, what a simple way to create a good plot device/love interest at the same time. Seriously though, does Brandon have to be so obvious? Anyone that can read a book can tell exactly where this will end.

Chapter 15.

• Not much to say about this chapter besides I am starting to like Human.

Chapter 16.

• I really hope that Spoof does not turn bad, but it seems to be going that way. :sad:

• Spook has something almost no good guys do, which I REALLY like about him. He is not the greatest fighter, he is not the greatest leader, he pretty much is not the greatest of anything. He also has a major weakness which is also a huge advantage. Simply said, he is human. Which is awesome to read in a book.

• Spook's fight scenes are pretty cool. Not as cool as a Mistborn (with Atium) fight and definitely not as cool as a Feruchemist and Mistborn fight but still nice just the same.

Chapter 17.

• It really shows how far Elend has come to order his troops out like that just so he gets a tactical advantage. I just hope that all of these things don't break him.

• THAT SUCKS! Demoux just died to the mists! I really liked him as a secondary character. :sad:

Chapter 18.

• I don't have much to say in these Sazed chapters besides, SNAP OUT OF IT SAZED!

Chapter 19.

• I bet the odd Voice that is talking to Spook, trying to get him out of the burning house is Kelsier.

• Oh come on! I cannot believe Brandon made Spook a Mistborn like that! Seriously I thought Spook was awesome with only being a misting and now there is yet another Misborn!

• I knew the Voice was Kelsier. But I do hope Brandon has a good explanation for this though. Hopefully Kelsier did not get revived.

Chapter 20.

• I suspect that by talking about the dog bones as TenSoon did, he was hoping for them to replace his bones with the original dog bones. Why I do not understand.

Chapter 21.

• Yay! Demoux is not dead! After the many deaths Brandon gave us before I was suspecting more deaths, but I guess not.

• Hmm that is strange, it is far to deep for me to go into right now, but I sometimes research things with numbers. Numbers can be very odd, and in with many people, they believe the lives are effected by numbers. (I am not ridiculing these people as I believe it could be entirely possible that numbers could mean more then they are. Note I said "possible".) Anyway, I just find it interesting that Brandon seems to be incorporating that into Mistborn.

Chapter 22.

• Nothing for this chapter, it was short and Emo-Sazed is in it.

Chapter 23.

• Hmm, this blurb strikes me as odd. Vin would never write like this... So I wonder, could it be possible that she is not the Hero of Ages? I am starting to think so. Actually the people that would write this would be Elend or Spook I think. Although, wait... The first blurb read,
    "I am, unfortunately, the Hero of Ages."
    So it must be from someone who does not want it... That just makes it fit more towards Elend then. He was "cast out" by his people. I don't know. I guess I will have to RAFO. But I do no longer think it is Vin.

• That is interesting, I was just wondering what happened to Spooks parents and why Spook does not speak of them. And now the answer is provided. Very strange.

Chapter 24.

• I could actually see an entire book for just the Kandra. I think it would be interesting.

Chapter 25.

• Even though I do not have much to say on this chapter, I really liked this one better then most of the others. I am not sure why. (This chapter was about Elend planning with the others on what to do with Fadrex City, with the end of the chapter Vin flying off to sneak in.)

I decided to do more tonight. I will go up to chapter 30 then stop.

Chapter 26.

• Oh thank god Spook did not become another Mistborn, and instead was just granted he power of Pewter. I would really like to know how though.

• LOL! I understand now. Spook got the power of a thug from Hemalurgy. Two Spook chapters before this one, Spook put a thugs body in front of another enemy thug to defend himself. But the other Thug did not stop and stabbed through the first ones heart to mortally wound Spook, but the tip of the sword broke off! So now Spook is like the Steel Inquisitors.

• There "Kelsier" goes talking to Spook again, I swear that he is either the Phantom of the last book, or is Ruin.

Chapter 27.

• Wow, that's the first time I have ever seen a character to respond to a situation like Vin just did. Right after she became suspicious of the beggar in Fadrex City she just left. So we never find out if everything was safe, or if indeed a trap was waiting.

Chapter 28.

• These information dump chapters are nice because The Wheel of Time never had anything like this and it is nice to see the characters communicating . But unfortunately I don't anything to say about them.

Chapter 29.

• Quellion is not half as evil as I thought he was. Bonus points to Brandon for creating a more real enemy.

I decided to do more tonight. I will go up to chapter 30 then stop.

Chapter 26.

• Oh thank god Spook did not become another Mistborn, and instead was just granted he power of Pewter. I would really like to know how though.
  • LOL! I understand now. Spook got the power of a thug from Hemalurgy. Two Spook chapters before this one, Spook put a thugs body in front of another enemy thug to defend himself. But the other Thug did not stop and stabbed through the first ones heart to mortally wound Spook, but the tip of the sword broke off! So now Spook is like the Steel Inquisitors.
  • There "Kelsier" goes talking to Spook again, I swear that he is either the Phantom of the last book, or is Ruin.

This is one chapter which I benefited greatly from Brandon's annotations. His insight really clarified it for me.

Nice catch on the pewter. I missed it on the first read through.

As for the voice..... RAFO.

Chapter 30.

• Huh, I guess it just did not click when I read that Elend and Vin were going to a ball. I do not know how I missed it. Oh well, I shall just have to try and pay more attention. Anyway to express my opinion, they're nuts. And Brilliant at the same time. This will be a very interesting read.

• Yes, this was a very amusing read. I liked Vin a lot in this chapter. It just felt natural.

Chapter 31.

• Breeze, Spook and sazed duscussed what they were going to do while they sat in the new found cache in Urteau. I got nothing to say in this chapter. It felt like one of those information dump chapters so that is probably why I don't have anything to say.

Chapter 32.

• This Telden fellow seems alright but I think he would bolt at the first sign of danger. I hope Elend does not trust him on anything else his plans meet with disaster.

• Another realistic enemy! Someone who semi-barely cares about the people. Brandon gets bonus points times two for creating two "good" bad-guys.

Chapter 33.

• I have a feeling that TenSonn will die in the end. Just the way that his last few chapters have been has me believe that he will meet his death while trying to help Vin/Elend.

Chapter 34.

• I am definitely think Marsh has to die at the end as well. What happened at that village he butchered makes me feel like he does not deserve to live even though he is being controlled by Ruin.

Chapter 35.

• I think that, since Spook got his Pewter from Hemalurgy, "Kelsier" has been speaking to him. Me thinks that "Kelsier" is Zane's "God". Ruin. That would explain why "Kelsier" is speaks oddly. Saying that he never liked Breeze (Something that I do not think Kelsier would ever say) and saying to kill just about everyone Spook meets seems evil.

Chapter 36.

• Nice, further distrust in Elends soldiers. Which is ironic if you think about it. 84% of the soldiers don't trust 16% because they believe that the 16% do not have faith. When in fact that was probably the reason that they were targeted in the first place.

Chapter 37.

• I really love reading Vin's fight scenes. She uses Allomancy very interestingly. For instance the first book with the stone arrows with metal rings. And now with attacking with the tents. I enjoy reading characters who think outside the "box".

• Hmm, seems like a cheap plot device to kill off most of Elends power. Seriously though, a bunch of rocks killed half of their Koloss?

• ... I would not have guessed that Koloss were Human... I mean I should have because they constantly said that they were Human, but I guess I just assumed that they were crazy... Very interesting.

Chapter 38.

• I wonder, ten people go into building, nine people die in building. One person makes it out. Those who are put into buildings are usually mistings or have noble blood, granting powers of mistings in Hemalurgy in a far less degree. So I wonder if this is a cover up to perform Hemalurgy in secret and tenth person who goes in their leaves with a bunch of Hemalurgy spikes. Power taken from the unfortunate few that were put into the building with him.

• Interesting name Spook got for himself. Survivor of the Flames. Rather simple but hey at least it is something.

Chapter 39.

• The blurb mentions Adonasium. I believe it is a new allomantic metal. Probably something similar to the Oath Rod from the Wheel of Time.

Chapter 40.

• Another information dump chapter. As I said before, I do enjoy these chapters because it never happens in the Wheel of Time but unfortunately I do not have much to say because I know everything they say.

• Penrod is rather pathetic. How could he have trouble holding onto Luthadel? Although, if there were Steel Inquisitors attacking Luthadel then I see where there might be a problem.

• I have very strong suspicions that Vin's earring is a block to prevent her from drawing in on the Mists. I mean think about it. She always wears it, every time she attempted to draw in on the Mists she has had the earring on. The one time she did try was when she was fighting the Lord Ruler and no longer had the earring on her.

Chapter 41.

• Aww I liked my idea with using Hemalurgy on the prisoners in the building.

• I still find this "Kelsier" very odd. I hope that it is not actually him.

• The blindfold is very iconic. He almost makes a good a hero as Vin or Elend.

Chapter 42.

• This chapter has been very informative about Hemalurgy. Now that I know that Ruin wants spikes in top level officials I now know for a fact that "Kelsier" has got to be Ruin. Actually doesn't this mean that Zane had a Hemalurgic spike as well?

• I wonder if this chapter was supposed to take place before the messengers had contacted Elend to request troops and food. It makes sense if that is the case.

Chapter 43.

• I thought that Slowswift was not on Elends/Vins side. I guess he is more willing to help throw down Yomen then I thought.

• I really do wonder if Reen is Ruin as well. It would make perfect sense if he was. Of course that leads to the question, when did Vin get pierced by metal... Does the earring she wears go through her skin? Like Hemalurgy?

• That is very wise of Elend. By stating that he has allies in Fadrex he is sowing distrust amongst the royalty and will have them fighting among themselves.

Chapter 44.

• I am starting to believe that Yomen in fact does not have a Mistborn and that the Misborn that is following Vin around is either a Inquisitor or something else.

• Well that confirms it to me. Vin is under the influence of Ruin, that or Brandon has decided to ruin (no pun intended) Mistborn by letting Reen to be alive and Mistborn.

Chapter 45.

• Aha the blurb has revealed to me that wherever the Hemalurgic spike on Vin is, it has to be something to increase her Bronze power.

• I now am convinced that the earring is the Hemalurgic "spike".

Chapter 46.

• Couldn't Ruin change those portfolios Sazed carries around? It would not take much, and by doing so he effectively knocks out one of the main members of the New Empire.

• If only I didn't know what was behind it I would say that I like the new Spook. Unfortunately I know that most of it is Ruin.

• Finally Sazed is getting out of his depression. Not that much right now but soon he should finally get back on track. Honestly it feels like when Perrin was all depressed when Faile was captured.

Chapter 47.

• I think Elend just has to strike out at Fadrex while he can. He can't hold this siege much longer and his troops are starting to fight among themselves. He just does not have enough time.

• That is going to be tough for Elend to try and get control of more Koloss without losing more then he gained. It just seems like the risk is greater then the reward.

Chapter 48.

• Why would Ruin need a body? It just seems silly. Oh well, I am sure it will find it before this book is done.

Chapter 49.

• Sazed looks like he is almost out of his depression, perhaps at the end of his talk with Breeze he will finally snap out of it!

• That's odd, nobility being immune to the Mist sickness? I wonder if it has something to do with the Lord Rulers original change in the Skaa and Nobles or if it has something to do with Preservation and Ruin.

• I don't like this one bit. I feel like Spooks plan is the right one but again, knowing that it is indeed Ruin that is speaking to him I fear that it will play right into Ruins hands.

Chapter 50.

• Either Telden himself is a captive or he is under very... persuasive... orders from Yomen.

• Yomen has got to be under the influence of... I just realized, Vin and Elend had to have talked before they went to the ball. So that actually is proof to me. Yomen is under the influence of Ruin, and since Ruin knows all that is said, he could easily manipulate Yomen into defeating Elend and Vin. That is why Yomen appears so clever.

• I don't think Vin's plan to try and burn the drugs from the wine will work. It just doesn't make sense.

• And now she is unconscious. She is going to have to do some pretty slick fighting to get out of there.

I don't think Zane had a spike, but I might not be remembering right. Ruin also has a bit more influence over the crazy. which is also how Vin got her spike. good catch

I can't say why the nobles are immune to the mist without spoiling stuff , but there is a reason for it.

Zane had a spike. It was either hinted at or explicitly mentioned. Vin wasn't going to burn off the drugs, she was flaring pewter to increase her body's physical resistance to the drugs effects. As for Ruin needing a body, I'm not sure it's actually explained in the books. I'll just say it's not a body in the usual, physical sense that we think about it.

Zane had a spike. It was either hinted at or explicitly mentioned. Vin wasn't going to burn off the drugs, she was flaring pewter to increase her body's physical resistance to the drugs effects. As for Ruin needing a body, I'm not sure it's actually explained in the books. I'll just say it's not a body in the usual, physical sense that we think about it.

I think ruin's need for a body is explained later in the book, or at least why ruin lost its body in the first place will be explained. The nature of ruin's existence was one of the most interesting parts of the book for me.

Interesting posts Zan keep them coming.

Thank you all for promptly answering my questions. It is greatly appreciated and helps me get "into" the story more without having to take myself out of the book and check these things. Now to stop my rambling and getting back to the reason you all read this thread...

Chapter 51.

• Interesting. Elend just used a duralumin fueled zinc pull and took control of all of the Koloss, then he states that he should not have been able to do that. I wonder if he was able to gain control of the Inquisitor? The Koloss have hemalurgic spikes and they can be controlled. The Kandra have hemalurgic spikes and they can be controlled. Who is to say that the Inquisitors can't be controlled either?

• This was a interesting chapter, but even though I see how why it was needed. I think that it distracted from the rest of the story.

Only one tonight, I am too tired to do more.

Chapter 52.

• This blurb helps clarify who the Hero of Ages is to me. It talks about microbes and how they would degrade the ash. Something that most of the characters don't give to hoots about. Meaning that the Hero is either Elend, Yomen (Very unlikely) or Sazed. They I believe would be the only people that would be interested in microbes.

• Why would TenSoon want to send people to the caverns? I don't see how it would help.

Chapter 53.

• Beldre says that her brother is a good man. But the evidence shows that he is not. So either Beldre is completely ignorant or her brother has a hemalurgic spike and Ruin is speaking to him.

• This is a very weird Spook to read what with him wanting power and turning more evil. Even though most of it is under the influence of Ruin there is still the part of him that accepts all this.

Chapter 54.

• I do not believe that Yomen is a Mistborn. Rather just a misting whose only allomantic ability is to burn Atium.

Chapter 55.

• Finally the Phantom is useful. I am very confused by what it indicated though. Is it people who are not Allomancers that die to the mists? Or maybe they have hemalurgic spikes? They have metal inside them? I don't know. I would really like to find out however. This is possibly the most confusing thing I have read in the book so far.

Finally the Phantom is useful. I am very confused by what it indicated though. Is it people who are not Allomancers that die to the mists? Or maybe they have hemalurgic spikes? They have metal inside them? I don't know. I would really like to find out however. This is possibly the most confusing thing I have read in the book so far.

This makes more sense when you finally learn the whole story. There is a reason.

Archived