DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

The One Big Issue I have with Brandon Sanderson Spoiler free

magnutz

Ok, here I go:

The man is utterly incapable of creating believable, good-sounding names, the names of new characters really blow. Hard. They differ in feeling from RJ's and in doing so they stand out, in my opinion, like a pale British dude in the middle of Africa. I'll take note of some of them and put them in here.

Am I alone in this or do any of you feel somewhat the same here?

Otherwise I think mr Sanderson does a GREAT job so.. but I don't like the names he comes up with.

The only one that stood out to me is Jason's cameo. And you know, that one was cool, so...

Oh yeah, some guy won an appearance in the books right?

Can someone explain what happened and what section of book is concerned (or just link me to it if it's posted somewhere already)?

Ok so I'm reading this on my phone, and profiles are down so I can't try to figure out if you're making a joke or not.... But that's Jason. The guy who runs this site. Not really surprising that his name doesn't *quite* fit the Randland naming standards.

Sent from my Droid X using Tapatalk

I read on in ToM and on one page there are three names that sound - so amature-ish that my eyes hurt from reading them. One of these names is. Soffi Naeff is another, I think it was Naeff.. He is the Ashaman working with Nyneave at one point.. The names are just not readable or speakable. They turn me off. Like when I get into the reading spell those darn names pull me right out off said reading spell. Annoying. And it doesn't matter if the characters are only perifer/sub/extras. The names bother me.

Funny. I thought Denezel fit superbly well compared to some of the other names.

I'm holding my breath waiting for Denezel's friends Tomom Cruisein and Bruise Willisamon..

Well, if they win a charity auction guaranteeing they'll get a WoT character named after them, then they may well show up, and you'll just have to cope. It'd probably be "Thom" BTW.

Funny. I thought Denezel fit superbly well compared to some of the other names.

I'm holding my breath waiting for Denezel's friends Tomom Cruisein and Bruise Willisamon..

Well, if they win a charity auction guaranteeing they'll get a WoT character named after them, then they may well show up, and you'll just have to cope. It'd probably be "Thom" BTW.

In Brandon's WoT I can't get used to his choice of names. They just won't work. It was the same in TGS. The names. Oh the names. This makes it hard to cope. The names disturb my reading of the story. Still I will cope, since his story-telling is fine.

I read on in ToM and on one page there are three names that sound - so amature-ish that my eyes hurt from reading them. One of these names is. Soffi Naeff is another, I think it was Naeff.. He is the Ashaman working with Nyneave at one point.. The names are just not readable or speakable. They turn me off. Like when I get into the reading spell those darn names pull me right out off said reading spell. Annoying. And it doesn't matter if the characters are only perifer/sub/extras. The names bother me.

I'm pretty sure Naeff predates Towers of Midnight; I can't remember where I've seen him before, but he didn't strike me as a new character.

Also "utterly incapable" is pretty strong; I think he's capable. YOu may not like the names, but that doesn't make him "incapable."

I agree that the Sanderson is worse with names than Jordan. Though part of this is simply because there are so many names already in the series and they have to be unique, it's harder to make up new ones after 11 previous volumes which don't sound too different from the establish naming style of the series.

I'm pretty sure Naeff predates Towers of Midnight; I can't remember where I've seen him before, but he didn't strike me as a new character.

Also "utterly incapable" is pretty strong; I think he's capable. YOu may not like the names, but that doesn't make him "incapable."

yes, I know.. I was a bit! harsh.. but I was very annoyed.. :) so, utterly icapable .. no he is not.. my bad.

The only one that stood out to me is Jason's cameo. And you know, that one was cool, so...

Can someone explain what happened and what section of book is concerned (or just link me to it if it's posted somewhere already)?

The contest winner appears as Azi al'Thone, one of the Two Rivers men with Perrin.

Other notable cameos are "Melli Craeb" the owner of the Seven Striped Lass. You might know her as Melissa Craib, the Amyrlin of TarValon.net. And "Hatch", the owner of the Dusty Wheel (AKA, the Rumor Wheel) is a stand in for Matt Hatch, the owner of Theoryland.

Naeff appears for the first time in TGS. http://encyclopaedia-wot.org/characters/n/naeff.html

And this thread is treading dangerously close to Spoilerville.

The contest winner appears as Azi al'Thone, one of the Two Rivers men with Perrin.

Other notable cameos are "Melli Craeb" the owner of the Seven Striped Lass. You might know her as Melissa Craib, the Amyrlin of TarValon.net. And "Hatch", the owner of the Dusty Wheel (AKA, the Rumor Wheel) is a stand in for Matt Hatch, the owner of Theoryland.

Naeff appears for the first time in TGS. http://encyclopaedia-wot.org/characters/n/naeff.html

And this thread is treading dangerously close to Spoilerville.

Spoilerville, how so? Only names are mentioned without much context?!

Anyway. TGS is also written by Brandon.

I'll share some more names that are killing me: Nikiol Dianatkhah!!! - Belairah - Naeff - Basaheen - Melli Craeb - Harnesh - Vordarian.. most of these give me the "A group of adolecent role-playing boys naming their freshly rolled characters" feeling... Sanderson is trying too hard to be creative?! He is not incapable, as I claimed in a previous post, but he feels awkward.

This is absurd. You're just throwing out random names and saying they suck. Well, why exactly? What makes them so un-WoT-like? Why are other names in the series sooooo superior?

Oh, yeah, BTW...Basaheen? That's RJ's: Duhara Basaheen. Her surname first appeared in KoD. Oops.

ETA: This reminds me of all the carping about "Fortuona". Turned out, it was in RJ's notes.

Thank you so much. I had no idea this degree of... indulgence... was going on.

Brandon is merely continuing something that Jordan began. You just know these people now. After you spend five minutes in a room with the extended Rigney clan, you realize very quickly why all the men in the Wheel of Time are tall and the women are impossibly tiny. I feel tall compared to some of those ladies and I'm 5'2. Oh, and in Jordan's neighborhood there are streets named Ogier and Logan. Jordan always pulled inspiration from his surroundings. And this wasn't the first time naming rights to a character were auctioned for charity. Jordan did that at least once that I know of.

http://wotfaq.dragonmount.com/node/148

As for why the Big Name Fans are all appearing as innkeepers, Brandon told us that while we were free to donate to the fundraiser, we would not be eligible for the drawing because wouldn't that be awfully suspicious. And then he made a vague promise about making it up to us somehow.

The name I did a triple take on was Tijds, back in TGS chapter 40. I kind of felt sorry for Kate Reading when she had to blurt that out in her audiobook chapter :laugh: It doesn't exactly roll off the tongue. Almost sounds like one of the made-up-on-the-spot aliases in the movie Fletch.

It might have been a typo or something... could be it was supposed to have been Tijes, or Tinds, or Txjds /shrug.

This is absurd. You're just throwing out random names and saying they suck. Well, why exactly? What makes them so un-WoT-like? Why are other names in the series sooooo superior?

Oh, yeah, BTW...Basaheen? That's RJ's: Duhara Basaheen. Her surname first appeared in KoD. Oops.

ETA: This reminds me of all the carping about "Fortuona". Turned out, it was in RJ's notes.

I agree. This talk of bad names is ridiculous. You say Brandon's names are bad and stand out? Every single time I see a mention of 'Faile' I see 'Fail.' I never noticed any major difference in names. All of RJ's names are ones you would never see in real life and many took quite a bit of time to get used to (I still often pronounce Moiraine as Moraine instead of Mwaraine.) Just wondering, are you all actually looking for a reason to say Brandon isn't as good as RJ in writing style?

Archived