DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Ask A Simple Question, Get A Simple Answer

Luckers

I think Androl was given to us simply as an avenue to give us insight into the state of the Black Tower. He was made 'interesting' for similar reasons, just to give us an interesting character in the Black Tower that's not actually a darkfriend and someone we as readers can root for, regardless of whether he's just a giant red herring or someone that will actually lead the mass exodus alongside Teslyn out of the Black Tower into the hands of their female counterparts.

If he escapes, we can be relieved for him that he did make it out in one piece. If he doesn't make it out, well we'll also feel the emotional impact of that since he's painted as a good, good guy.

It's quite possible. But I can't help reading into those little pieces that stand out. The man's had a dozen (12) apprenticeships. That's gotta raise some eyebrows. He supposes that he qualifies for all four of his reasons for learning to channel; desperation, revenge, curiosity and lust for power. Ok, I'm done.

not really a 'poor' lord would need to know many trades in order to try and boon the family. I think Androl wanted to try to channel to pay homage to his brother, much like vandene

You're confusing Algarin and Androl :P

• Replies 706
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm new to the board and some of the acronyms and abbreviations get me (I looked for a glossary so if there is one please direct me to it).

Anyway, what is VoG?

There is a sticky thread at the top entitled "Forum Rules, Online Resources and Fan Abbreviations". You'll find most of the more important ones there.

New Question

If Graendal can see through the bird’s eyes (via TP), can a channeler see through Bela’s eyes? Maybe Bela is the DO?

Bela is a damn horse.

Bela is not the Dark One.

Bela is not Demandred.

Bela will not defeat the Dark One.

Bela will not defeat Demandred.

Bela did not kill Asmodean.

Bela did not kill Graendal.

Bela is not the Creator.

Bela is not the Dragon Reborn.

Bela will not kill the Dragon Reborn.

Bela did not create Dragonmount.

Bela is not the real Slim Shady.

Bela is not what you would do for a Klondike Bar.

Bela is not Jesus.

Bela is not what Jesus would do.

Bela does not talk about Fight Club.

Bela does not see you while you're sleeping.

Bela does not know when you're awake.

Bela did not come before the chicken or the egg.

Bela isn't your real mom.

Bela is a F**CKING HORSE!!!!!!!!! JESUS H KWANZA!!!!!!!!!!!! Where the hell did all this Bela stuff come from!??!?! It is driving me CRAZY!!!!!!!! The damn mare isn't even in the story very much. She's not even the only horse who is present throughout the series!!! What about Mandarb?! Why aren't there a million screaming fanboys/girls crazy about him!? Bela is a puss!!!!!!! She's a cart horse from a small farm in a remote region ignored by its ruling class!!!! DROP IT ALREADY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bela is not what you would do for a Klondike Bar.

Well... not what I would do for one, but there are some people out there that might consider it

Bela is not what Jesus would do.

Personally, I'm not comfortable assuming that he wouldn't. He was a really strange guy for his time.

Bela does not talk about Fight Club.

Red Vanilla is right, this one is priceless.

Personally the only reason that I like all the talk of Bela is because I see it as a gag among DM posters(but, so far as I know, I haven't encountered any true Belafanboys). Whenever an argument occurs in a thread that goes on for page after page, just restating the same things and people arguing back and forth over what the other person meant, I love it when some one comes in and breaks the monotony of these petty little disputes by posting up that both people are wrong and it was actually Bela! It's a great way to break the tension on the boards. I am not a fan of the horse Bela, but I am a fan of the function Bela serves here. She is great for pointing out to people when they are taking themselves and this whole forum too seriously. I would have actually liked to have seen Bela die somewhere in the series just because of how loved she is by some of the characters, and I would have liked to see the character's reaction to it. I don't think that she is a necessary addition to AMoL, but I doubt BS will leave her out of it.

P.S. My sig came about because I saw a post where someone had misspelled "balefire" by switching the "e" and "a", so the comment said that Cads slapped Rand for using "belafire". I thought that was hilarious and so I stole it and adapted it.

" Bela does not talk about Fight Club."

would you mind if I made this my sig?

No... Go ahead. I would be honored. I suppose I didn't really solve anything and really just encouraged posters to use this weird Bela thing. I just wish it would stop proliferating and... I don't know... I'm very tired. It's too early.

You know who else was really tired? Bela. But do you think Rand would do this for you?

With all his heart and desperation he silently shouted at Bela to run like the wind, silently tried to will strength into her. Run! His skin prickled, and his bones felt as if they were freezing, ready to split open. The Light help her, run! And Bela ran.
No? That's because Bela's special, johthohar. :bela:

You know who else was really tired? Bela. But do you think Rand would do this for you?

With all his heart and desperation he silently shouted at Bela to run like the wind, silently tried to will strength into her. Run! His skin prickled, and his bones felt as if they were freezing, ready to split open. The Light help her, run! And Bela ran.

I will straight up murder you......

Sorry if this has been said already, but... yeah

Is it me, or does ToM contradict important details regarding the True Power? As in, didnt Moridin note to himself that True Power usage couldnt be sensed by anyone else, even other True Power users? Im positive he thought this to himself, yet in ToM Moridin creates a True Power gateway for Graendal and she can see the weaves. Isnt this a contradiction?

Is it me, or does ToM contradict important details regarding the True Power? As in, didnt Moridin note to himself that True Power usage couldnt be sensed by anyone else, even other True Power users? Im positive he thought this to himself, yet in ToM Moridin creates a True Power gateway for Graendal and she can see the weaves. Isnt this a contradiction?
The True Power, drawn directly from the Great Lord, could neither be seen nor detected except by who wielded it.
That does leave an opening. But
Monkeyman: Nobody who can channel saidin or saidar can sense the True Power. And, since the Forsaken don't seem to notice Moridin channeling the True Power, is it detectable at all (besides by a gholam)? That is, can someone already holding the True Power sense another using it?

RJ: No. Not by any method we've seen yet.

It would seem earlier answers have been superseded. At least it doesn't contradict the books, like Grady forgetting how to tie off gateways, or...

Bela is a F**CKING HORSE!!!!!!!!! JESUS H KWANZA!!!!!!!!!!!! Where the hell did all this Bela stuff come from!??!?! It is driving me CRAZY!!!!!!!! The damn mare isn't even in the story very much. She's not even the only horse who is present throughout the series!!! What about Mandarb?! Why aren't there a million screaming fanboys/girls crazy about him!? Bela is a puss!!!!!!! She's a cart horse from a small farm in a remote region ignored by its ruling class!!!! DROP IT ALREADY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So what you're saying is that Mandarb isn't a damn horse, is the Dark One, Demandred,The Creator, the Dragon Reborn, the real Slim Shady, Jesus, what Jesus would do, what you would do for a Klondike Bar, and your mom, and will defeat/kill the Dark One, Demandred,the Dragon Reborn, Asmodean, and Graendel,created Dragonmount, talks about Fight Club,sees you while you're sleeping, knows when you're awake and came before the chicken or the egg, right?

Apologies if this has been asked/answered already but what's up with Rand's new sword? It's never directly addressed (that I can remember, at least...) except when it's noted that Rand recognized it from his own memories, not LTT's. So where does it come from?

Of course Bela is special. We love Bela. Stick by her and you will be safe.

cfbb2854-48f8-4778-a4ba-b0a9795787a1.jpg

It would seem earlier answers have been superseded. At least it doesn't contradict the books, like Grady forgetting how to tie off gateways, or...

Out of curiosity, did we ever see Grady tie off a weave in previous books? NS told us that not everyone can tie a weave, just like many cannot split their flows, and I cannot remember a specific instance showing Grady tying off a weave in the series. It is possible that Grady never had the knack for doing it.

I do have another question that about something caught on a re-read though. I'm not sure if it's really simple or not though.

During Eggy's dream in 'The Amrylin's Anger', there are 3 parts. In the last part that she interprets as Rand breaking the seals, she refers to "an enormous sphere made of the finest crystal. It sparkled in the light of twenty-three enormous stars, shining down on where it sat on a dark hill top." She goes on to talk about seeing Rand cutting the ropes that are holding the crystal together. The thing that she seemed to take away from the dream as being most important was the act of Rand cutting the ropes, but to me the part I bolded really stands out. Why 23? It seems like a very odd number of 'stars' to be shining on this crystal. And these are 'enormous stars', I would appreciate any thoughs on the interpretation of this part of the dream, because it seems important to me, maybe more important that the rest in she finds out about Rand breaking the seals within hours of waking from this dream. It would seem useless to simply have her Dream about something she will learn that day anyway, unless the Dream contains other information that is at least as important. And with the specific imagery mentioned about the number of stars makes me think that they are important.

Linda of the 13th Depository says:

The twenty-three stars could represent the full Hall. They also could be the twenty-three major human groups on the side of the Light in the Last Battle: 1. Saldaea, 2. Kandor, 3. Arafel, 4. Shienar, 5. Malkier, 6. Tar Valon, 7. Arad Doman, 8. Two Rivers (Perrin), 9. Andor, 10. Cairhien, 11. Mayene, 12. Tear, 13. Illian, 14. Ghealdan, 15. Amadicia, 16. Altara, 17. Seanchan, 18. Aiel, 19. Sea Folk, 20. Whitecloaks, 21. Band of the Red Hand, 22. Black Tower, 23. Tarabon. Perhaps Murandy does not participate on the side of the Light. Or they represent the groups that fight or amass in Malkier or the Fields of Merrilor and so don’t include the Sea Folk.

But to me this seems like a stretch.Partly because the stars are seen as shining down on the DO prison before Rand even enters the vision, and their is no distinction in the size of the 23 stars like one would expect if each one represented an Army of the Light member. Since some countries and peoples are contributing less than others, plus technically #14 Ghealdan should be included with #8 TR(Perrin) and Amadicia, Tarabon and Altara are all a part of the Seanchan, not separate entities. So I just don't think her count adds up.

Out of curiosity, did we ever see Grady tie off a weave in previous books? NS told us that not everyone can tie a weave, just like many cannot split their flows, and I cannot remember a specific instance showing Grady tying off a weave in the series. It is possible that Grady never had the knack for doing it.

Yes. And not just any weave:
“Just tired a little, my Lord,” Grady said wearily. He remained seated with his elbows on his knees. “All this Traveling we’ve been doing lately…. Well, I couldn’t have held the gateway open long enough for all those soldiers to ride through yesterday. That’s why I’ve taken to tying them off.”

Yes. And not just any weave:
“Just tired a little, my Lord,” Grady said wearily. He remained seated with his elbows on his knees. “All this Traveling we’ve been doing lately…. Well, I couldn’t have held the gateway open long enough for all those soldiers to ride through yesterday. That’s why I’ve taken to tying them off.”

Ok, Thanks. I didn't remember that line.

Archived