DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

ToM Signing Tour Reports

Luckers

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here's a report from Tamyrlin @Theoryland:

Matt: Can a someone without the Talent for Dreamwalking or Dreaming, but with access to T'A'R through a Ter'angreal be taught to find dreams?

Brandon: As far as I know, no. That's an 80%.

Brandon: That question they should be asking is could Perrin (be taught to find dreams.)

Matt: Can he?

Brandon: I don't think so

Matt: Well, what he can do is similar to dreaming and dreamwalking.

Brandon: But the wolves don't know about them

Matt: Well...

Brandon: I'm not sure, but that's what I would be asking (paraphrased)

Matt: Can the True Power be used to create a Mask of Mirrors?

Brandon: Yes.

Matt: Do True Power Mask of Mirrors have different attributes than One Power Mask of Mirrors?

Brandon: Everything done with the True Power will be slightly different.

Matt: Can you place a True Power Mask of Mirrors on another person.

Brandon: Yes.

Matt: Would a True Power Mask of Mirrors persist into that person's dreams, how they see themselves.

Brandon: They would see who they saw themselves as (it wouldn't persist).

Matt: Is the Bore larger or smaller than it was at the time of the Sealing?

Brandon: The same size (95% sure)

Matt: So, are the seals, even in their weakened state, the reason the Bore has not grown any larger?

Brandon: As far as I know, yes.

Matt: Can Slayer dreamwalk in TAR or only go there in the flesh?

Brandon: Slayer cannot dreamwalk (100% sure)

Matt: Did Slayers employer in Winters' Heart use the True Power to weave a gateway?

Brandon: RAFO - I need to look it up, but you can tell True Power gateways if you know what to look for, wouldn't you agree Matt?

Matt: Yes.

Fan: Was Narg an especially smart Trolloc?

Brandon: Narg was a smart Trolloc; there are other Trollocs that can speak the human tongue...we are talking the the top one percentile.

Matt: Is there a distance to pain sensitivity with the Warder bond? In essence, would I stil know my Aes Sedai was being tortured or would it just be a dull pain if I was at a great distance?

Brandon: Yes, distance does matter. But no, you would know that she was being tortured, even at a great distance.

Matt: How did the Forsaken in charge of the gholam learn of Herid Fel?

Brandon: RAFO. (Smile)

Matt: What happened to the large packs of Darkhounds that were patrolling Altara back in Crossroads of Twilight?

Brandon: We already know, don't we?

Matt: Honest, can't remember.

Brandon: Well, I know, but I think we do know.

Matt: Did Verin know Fain was a darkfriend, when we first met Verin?

Brandon: Not sure.

Matt: Did Verin ever work with Fain?

Brandon: No. She's been around him, but working with him is something different.

Matt: We are told that the mindtrap is somehow connected to the soul. Is it possible to create ter'angreal that can hold a soul, or be tied to a soul in such a way as to capture it at death?

Brandon: Many things are possible, but are improbable.

Matt: Was such a Ter'angreal created during the Age of Legends?

Brandon: Many things are possible, but are improbable.

Matt: We are told the male Aiel channelers go to the Blight to "to kill the Dark One." And it is said "None survived long enough to face madness." Is this point of view or truth.

Brandon: RAFO. It's not that I don't know, it's that I think in reading the text you can answer that question yourself.

Going to put it in the database now.

Mmmm, thanks Terez, great interview.

I loved the Narg bit. There was reference to him in the book. In the Maradon thread, Iturlde thinks to himself that his men have known trollocs that can speak. :biggrin: (at least I thought it was reference to Narg, a little humor)

Also, interesting about the Aiel channelers. I was thinking that the red-veils at the end were the male channlers turned to shadow, and now it seems that Brandon has (in a roundabout way) confirmed it.

I'm not so sure that's confirmed. At least, it's unexplained why they have dark eyes.

What else could it mean? I am pretty sure that it is confirmed. Where else in the book do we get an idea whether Aiel channelers died or not? Also, there is the channelling at Maradon.

I would say that the dark eyes would be something to do with being 13 x 13. The DO can transmigrate souls and create crazy myrddraal, I would say that he could darken their eyes.

Edit: I do know what you are saying though. and I agree, it isnt exactly concrete proof, but to me, it seems pretty darn certain.

He might have simply been saying that it should be obvious that they did not survive long enough to go mad. He may have meant what you think, but the fact still remains that the dark eyes are unexplained. And also, if they can channel, why kill with a knife?

He might have simply been saying that it should be obvious that they did not survive long enough to go mad. He may have meant what you think, but the fact still remains that the dark eyes are unexplained. And also, if they can channel, why kill with a knife?

Mmm, that is true. i still think the eyes changed because of the DO's tampering. They have been in hte Blight, 13x13 for years, but I suppose that doesnt really explain it. Same goes with the knife thing. Although, considering they are pretty much evil, they enjoy killing, they would actually like killing with their hands (knives) rather than just channeling to kill. And the guy was in no shape to defend himself, so they could take their time with him.

Anyway, their cold eyes and creepy smiles are the same as Tarna and the Asha'man Mezar. Seems like 13x13 to me.

Another explaination could be that htey are possibly Sharans? There were the red sails that conquered Seanchan, a murderer on the throne. These "Aiel" wore red-veils, but had dark eyes. Could be Demandred's posse of Sharans (obviously they would not be channelers, since they dont have Ayyaad Tattoos).

Aside from that, I dont see what else they could be. Why would random people be walking around in the Blight dressed and acting like Aiel, yet not be Aiel when we know that the only people that go into the Blight (deep into the blight) are Forsaken, and DF's (who only go when forced) and male Aiel channelers.

Add that with Brandon's comment, along with the random saidin channelling at Maradon, I am feeling that it is the Aiel 13x13.

A long post, and I am not trying to argue, just giving my reasoning for believing it.

I had always assumed that the male Aiel channelers never lived long enough to go mad because they died in the blight.

Either on the way to SG, or once they make it.

Especially since we have strong reason to believe that darkfriend male channelers did not get protection from the taint (one of the DF asha'man goes starry eyed when he thinks of the taint being cleansed, iirc). So if anything, being converted would ensure that they lived long enough to go mad.

Really, the only thing in the passage to make you suspect that they are Aiel are the veils (which they may have worn for a completely different purpose), and the spears on their backs. Before dying, Barriga doesn't even believe they are Aiel anymore.

I do not read the response of Sanderson as "CONFIRMING" that the red-veils are necessarily Aiel Male channelers turned to shadow.

I just don't see it.

You are correct, it is not a "Taim is not Demandred" confirmation. But seriously, where else IN THE TEXT (meaning Towers of Midnight) does it become obvious what happened to male Aiel channelers?

edit: Note also the channeling at Maradon

The channeling at Maradon is no surprise; Moridin has over 100 Darkfriend Asha'man at his service. Some of them are apparently used as guards at his fortress. Perhaps some of them were never officially associated with the Black Tower at all, but I bet most of them are.

Mmmm, thanks Terez, great interview.

I loved the Narg bit. There was reference to him in the book. In the Maradon thread, Iturlde thinks to himself that his men have known trollocs that can speak. :biggrin: (at least I thought it was reference to Narg, a little humor)

Also, interesting about the Aiel channelers. I was thinking that the red-veils at the end were the male channlers turned to shadow, and now it seems that Brandon has (in a roundabout way) confirmed it.

Thanks, Narg was my question for Mr. Sanderson as he signed my book (and just in time apparently, since I had the rest of the answer from the books later that morning :rolleyes: ).

As for those "so called Aiel", I pondered it for a time after reading that bit, and personally concluded that they must be part of the Sharan army we've been expecting for some time now. That, or maybe some perverted adaptation of a remaining Shaido faction...

Couple of notes from last night:

Only real questions specific to the book were about the WOT Encyclopedia which Harriet said will be released 12 months after AMoL.

Confirmed Asmosdean's killer will be revealed in this book (but we knew that already). Someone asked if he would let them know what page and Brandon laughed and said he's not making it that easy.

One question I wrote down when someone asked was:

"Will we see Demandred in the book?"

Brandon: *Big Smile* "What do you mean? You saw Demandred all the time! He's shows up all the time!"

Revised Question: "Will we find who Demandred's alter-ego is?"

Brandon: "I'm gonna have to RAFO that one."

I have some pictures but I'm at work and will have to do that later

Nothing major from this report. The biggest revelation from last night based on Maji's post above is that Demandred shows up all the time. Brandon does not specify whether or not he is referring to the alter-ego when he makes that comment.

Nothing major from this report. The biggest revelation from last night is that Demandred shows up all the time. Brandon does not specify whether or not he is referring to the alter-ego when he makes that comment.

You coped my own report from Cincinnati off Theoryland before I could... xD

There was probably 200 people there, maybe more. It was a nice turn out, not as big of a store though, rather awkward to have Harriet and Brandon stand on the stairs due to not having a large amount of room. The tour stop at Lexington last year was really nice, since it's easily twice the size and has a nice venue (lots of open space) to stand/sit versus having everyone stand and looking up at them.

Brandon did say that we have seen Demandred all the time, which of course is hinting that we are seeing his alter-ego not Demandred himself. I believe we haven't seen Demandred until Knife of Dreams (as his alter-ego) so I'm trying to narrow down the suspects right now :3 Hopefully will have a list formed here in the next week or so.

Nothing major from this report. The biggest revelation from last night is that Demandred shows up all the time. Brandon does not specify whether or not he is referring to the alter-ego when he makes that comment.

You coped my own report from Cincinnati off Theoryland before I could... xD

There was probably 200 people there, maybe more. It was a nice turn out, not as big of a store though, rather awkward to have Harriet and Brandon stand on the stairs due to not having a large amount of room. The tour stop at Lexington last year was really nice, since it's easily twice the size and has a nice venue (lots of open space) to stand/sit versus having everyone stand and looking up at them.

Brandon did say that we have seen Demandred all the time, which of course is hinting that we are seeing his alter-ego not Demandred himself. I believe we haven't seen Demandred until Knife of Dreams (as his alter-ego) so I'm trying to narrow down the suspects right now :3 Hopefully will have a list formed here in the next week or so.

Yea, when I saw your post on Theoryland and did not see it on Dragonmount, I figured I would copy it because I don't know who posts on which sites, and who lurks at which sites, so it was best to have it in multiple locations.

Couple of notes from last night:

Only real questions specific to the book were about the WOT Encyclopedia which Harriet said will be released 12 months after AMoL.

Confirmed Asmosdean's killer will be revealed in this book (but we knew that already). Someone asked if he would let them know what page and Brandon laughed and said he's not making it that easy.

One question I wrote down when someone asked was:

"Will we see Demandred in the book?"

Brandon: *Big Smile* "What do you mean? You saw Demandred all the time! He's shows up all the time!"

Revised Question: "Will we find who Demandred's alter-ego is?"

Brandon: "I'm gonna have to RAFO that one."

I have some pictures but I'm at work and will have to do that later

Nothing major from this report. The biggest revelation from last night based on Maji's post above is that Demandred shows up all the time. Brandon does not specify whether or not he is referring to the alter-ego when he makes that comment.

If he is, then there's not many options for him to be other than Guybon. Or he's the channeler behind all the Trolloc attacks in Maradon (An Asha'man, I forget the name, senses one) and attacking the Whitecloaks (Grady senses one there, too. Not strong though. Maybe just far away?) I know Graendal had a hand in it, but Demandred doesn't like Graendal. He could have been holding the Trollocs back.

What I'm not so sure about is that the mystery man seems really weak. I don't think that it was an Asha'man. One working with an army of Trollocs would set off WAY too many alarm bells. Does anyone know that if someone's measure of your strength could be altered by distance, like a large animal looks smaller from a long ways off?

Or Grady? Something's wrong when Grady doesn't laugh at Mat's greeting ("Ho, Grady! Blow up anyone important lately?")

Damn. I thought I had it narrowed down.

I still maintain Roedral in Murandy, then. Still not seen him.

And the red-veiled Aiel could be the descendants of the Aiel sent to the Blight. They could reproduce via captured people in Borderlands and/or the Waste. That could explain the dark eyes as well, if they have wetlander blood.

In fact, didn't RJ talk about something in the Blight no one would ever guess? Maybe it relates to them.

I did not see this on Dragonmount, so I am posting the Q&A that I saw on readandfindout.com from the Dallas stop of the book tour.

This is from CatherineSedai's post on readandfindout.com regarding the Dallas signing.

So, spoiler-free, but NOTHING below is verbatim what was said, its all from memory:

Nobody asked about Asmodean. (I thought that was funny.)

Q: Someone asked if Brandon writes the books in a jumping-around fashion or if he writes one character's story at a time, and then they get spliced together in editing.

A: Brandon says he does write one character at a time, because you have to try to think like that character and feel like the character. He says to be able to write someone, it's like uploading all the information about the character, and then using it until you're done. Then you wipe your hard drive and download the next character. He goes on to say that the editing and splicing is almost entirely Harriet, but when Brandon feels strongly about something, he insists. (Brandon said one such point was at the beginning of ToM, a cliffhanger ending to a chapter about Mat...) Harriet took the mic at this point and said that if Brandon puts his foot down, then that's it, and he gets his way. They laugh.

Q: Somebody asked if we will get to see an Aiel Wise One as a damane. (Pronounced DAH-mah-nay)

A: RAFO.

Q: Somebody asked who his least favorite character is to write.

A: He said it was probably Gawyn. He said when you write a character, you try to think like them, and Gawyn is so frustrated with his situation that Brandon would get frustrated writing him. He asked Harriet to tell a funny story about Jim.

Harriet: Jim would get into his character's so much that sometimes when he came to dinner I could tell who he had been writing. For example he would come in kinda hunched and slinking around near the walls and I would say "Have you been writing Padan Fain?" (Harriet and Brandon laugh)

Q: Somebody asked who his favorite character is to write.

A: He says that he enjoys a lot of them, but that writing Padan Fain is very enjoyable, because by this point in the story he is just bonkers (his word) so it's fun to write such an insane perspective. He said specifically, the excerpt Harriet read aloud was pretty much his favorite to write. (see above)

Q: Someone asked him if he would do the evil Forsaken laugh he was purported to have done at some earlier time.

A: Brandon does an evil Mwa-ha-ha MWa-HA-HA laugh (hilarious), and everybody cheers. Then Brandon turns to the guy filming the event and says, "Oh no, you're getting this on film" (laughs) "Any chance we can edit that out?" (joking. Camera man shakes his head no. Brandon laughs)

Q: A guy named Louis asked what's going to happen to Bela. (He pronounces it like "Bella".)

A: Harriet corrects his pronunciation (it's more like BAIL-a) and then, looking mysterious, asks "Would you believe that Bela is the Dark One?" (everybody laughs)

I was at the Dallas signing as well. It was a large one, so the Q&A was a bit shorter than hoped for.

When I had the chance, I asked Brandon whether or not Lews Therin knew The Song during the AoL and drew a RAFO. I got a more circumspect RAFO when I asked whether or not he personally thinks of Rand as Rand after the end of tGS, or if he now thinks of the amalgam as a different character. He thought that it would be apparent after reading the POV in both ToM and aMoL.

A little unexpected nugget of fun was the fact that Bob Kluttz joined Brandon and Harriet on the dais. I think I caught him a little off-guard when I asked him to personalize his autograph in my book! I asked him to sign, "your personal Aelfinn," since I've gotten WAY more than three questions answered, many of which even touched on the shadow!

I was at Dallas as well, and was able to ask the following 2 questions while he signed:

1) What was the most jaw-dropping scene (or scenes) to you when you read the material for ToM?

"Verin"

"That's what you answered for Book 12. I'm asking about book 13, which I've already read"

"Everyone in line close your ears"

"The whole Tower of Ghenjei sequence. That was all written by Jim. Also, the surprise proposal at the end"

2) Are they using the trick with the 13 Myrdraal and 13 channelers to create new dreadlords?

"RAFO"

"But I've already read book 13, that's why I'm asking"

"RAFO after AMoL"

Q: Somebody asked who his favorite character is to write.

A: He says that he enjoys a lot of them, but that writing Padan Fain is very enjoyable, because by this point in the story he is just bonkers (his word) so it's fun to write such an insane perspective. He said specifically, the excerpt Harriet read aloud was pretty much his favorite to write. (see above)

This question was actually about what his favorite villain was to write.

I asked him "Why the Glossary?"

He said that they were instructed to "put it in" somewhere, and they could not find a way to do it that seemed to fit so they put it in the Glossary. Harriet added "I like making people read the Glossary."

Archived