DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Ebook release delayed until Nov 2011 at Harriet's request.

Kara

Ebook Release Dates  

61 members have voted

1. 1. Should books be released as ebooks the same day they are released as hardcover and audio CDs?

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For all my complaining and criticism about ebooks, Kindles and the like... I, too, am curious about a digital release of ToM. I would assume that we won't see a Kindle version for quite some time... at least until the publishers make a generous profit from the hardback copy. I mean, why don't they release the paperback copy at the same time as the hardback, you know? If that's the case, well then, I guess I'll be buying the HB now won't I? :) :) and damn, I have procrastinated in all my glory and did not pre-order the book so I might be waiting much to my dismay.

Rregardless, I will still buy the Kindle version when it does arrive because I know I will be doing a number of re-reads. I use Kindle on my phone and I love love love it. Like I said, I was very critical about ebooks because there is nothing like holding a real book in your hands but reading on my phone has been super convenient. And I love the recent update that added features like seardhing for words or phrases within the book which is sooo useful.

Cheers!

The weird thing is that I saw a Kindle edition on Amazon (back on July 10th) releasing from Macmillan.

I preordered and its sitting in my open orders still while showing Oct 26th as the release date.

VERY strange.

I tweeted Brandon's assistant Peter about this yesterday - he said we would likely know more about e-book release in the next week or so. Fingers crossed it won't be delayed too much. I'll probably end up buying the HB as well though.

What I don't understand is why they don't just release it at a higher price during the first few months, then lower the price. I mean, they're bound to make more profit on a 10-15USD ebook than they do on a 17USD hardcover, aren't they? And I'll buy it for 15$ in a heartbeat.

The price on my preorder shows $14.99. That was almost as much as the hardcover. Not happy with that price but for Towers I will pay it.

I too have it pre-ordered on Amazon, and although it shows on my list, the link to the product has disappeared. I'm not confident it will be released on 2nd November.

The ToM page on Amazon now allows you to click on a link that tells the publisher you would like to read the book on Kindle.

I am a new Kindle user and LOVE it - my early WoT paperbacks are falling apart and have crayon coloring on them (3 kids!!) Now I have all my books with me all the time, and no one can hurt them :biggrin:

I am a new Kindle user and LOVE it - my early WoT paperbacks are falling apart and have crayon coloring on them (3 kids!!) Now I have all my books with me all the time, and no one can hurt them :biggrin:

I have the Kindle app on my PC at home and on my Droid. I like the fact that when I read it on one and then open it on the other, it knows and takes me to the point where I left off. Now that there is search on the books, it's even better! I bought the early books 5 or 6 times. I kept losing them between releases of new books and just decided to buy another copy. I don't have to worry about that anymore!!!

James

The ToM page on Amazon now allows you to click on a link that tells the publisher you would like to read the book on Kindle.

I've seen reference to that on the Amazon.com discussion as well, but I can't find the link. Do you mind directing me to it (a pic would be best, since I've already searched where it's supposed to be, under the cover art)?

I've seen reference to that on the Amazon.com discussion as well, but I can't find the link. Do you mind directing me to it (a pic would be best, since I've already searched where it's supposed to be, under the cover art)?

Try http://kindle.amazon.com/work/towers-midnight-wheel-robert-jordan/B0034PPF1C

Your children drew on tWoT books?!?! Sorry Kara, that's it. I know you're probably kinda attached to them, but they have to go. Put the kids on eBay or something, but they're gone....

Edit: Oh, I should probably just clarify, I was joking...don't want to come back from my lunch break to find you've actually eBay'd the kids again...

I cannot afford the space for many books so I am a fairly satisfied Kindle owner. Does anyone know of announcements, or mention of, a digital release for ToM? Due to where I am living I would likely have to order it off the internet and I would rather not suffer the wait, though I would also not like to acquire it by any method less then legal. I have heard talk that the publisher does not wish to do a Kindle edition. Is there any truth to that? Any information as to how I can avoid the wait on delivery (even the fastest service would take 2 weeks at best) would be much appreciated.

You heard right. The ebook won't be published on Nov 2nd. It will come out eventually, but it might take some time.

I don't know what to tell you. I recently purchased a Kindle myself, and it bugs me that I'll have to pay for international delivery, and wait 2-4 weeks to boot. Perhaps I'll find someone who plans a trip to the states around that time, seems like the best option. If you can do the same, I recommend it.

Oh, I don't regret it. I like reading on it. I even forward professional articles to it, though I have to use magnification to view them (when will they incorporate LaTex into Kindle format? :tongue:). And I will return the initial investment. If Tor.com won't help me do it, I'll just have to buy somebody else's books. It's okay, I like reading.

They're probably safe for ToM and AMoL, though. Money in the bank...

Your children drew on tWoT books?!?! Sorry Kara, that's it. I know you're probably kinda attached to them, but they have to go. Put the kids on eBay or something, but they're gone....

Edit: Oh, I should probably just clarify, I was joking...don't want to come back from my lunch break to find you've actually eBay'd the kids again...

You aren't supposed to e-bay kids????

Damn. Guess I'm gonna be returning a lot of money for the next couple years. Oh well.

ETA: Is it in the B&N Ebook store for preorder yet? I'm more of a physical copy kinda guy but if I can't find it in any of the book stores around here by 1 AM November 2... well, I'm just gonna get it on my PC with my Nook program thingie.

Count me in with the email that pre-order was changed to 2011! :(

I was already planning on getting a hard cover too. (WOT is one of the few I would get both versions of)

Now I guess I'll do what I did in the past and that is scan my physical versions and use Amazon's conversion service to get them on my Kindle. I know I probably shouldn't advocate that, but that is what I did with the older books. When I did it they had not been released as ebooks yet. I would rather have bought them as the scanning/editing/converting process was tedious.

I am so angry at Tor/Macmillan right now.

I purchased a Kindle ebook reader and have purchased the entire released Wheel of Time books in ebook format. I didn't complain when MacMillan decided that they needed to charge more than $9.99 for ebooks and got Amazon to capitulate to their demands--at least now, I thought, I can get my ebooks when they are released in hardcover. I'll even pay the same amount as a hardcover and Macmillan will make more profit. Now I am told that Towers of Midnight will not be released in ebook format for another year?

Tor/Macmillan has their heads stuck so far up their backsides that they can't see that ebooks are a GOOD thing. They must feel that they need to punish those of us who don't want to lug massive books around with us, want to be a little more green, or just don't have the physical space for any paper books. I don't know, does Macmillan want to somehow punish Amazon through us.

I am organizing a boycott of all Macmillan published books. I am sending this email because I am hoping that it will be seen by somebody at Tor/Macmillan who gives a damn for the readers more than Tor's outdated models of book selling.

It's a shame too--I have several Macmillan books for Kindle on Pre-Order, and I will be canceling them. There are lots of authors that I enjoy who Macmillan publishes, and I feel for them, but I hope that this boycott can gain enough steam to be felt in the pocketbooks and maybe they will encourage Macmillan to move into the 21st century.

I am going to be posting this, where ever I can online and hopefully Macmillan will see the light soon.

Archived