DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Favorite Quotes/ Moments (Full spoilers)

JenniferL

• Replies 320
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My personal favorite I think was when Nynaeve was almost too badass to be Aes Sedai. That was pretty sweet. I also liked Avi's second trip through the columns, not because I thought the future was awesome, but because I think it was some of Brandon's best writing in this series. It reminded me quite a bit of Rand's trip in TSR, but not in a deriative "Oooh, look! I can write like Robert Jordan!" way. More like it was a mirror and a companion to that chapter. The two pieces feel like they go with each other, which is no small thing considering they were done by different authors.

Perrin stopping balefire with his hand.

Seconded. It seems this book was full of 'underestimated men showing up overbearing women' moments, I almost felt uncomfortable enjoying them as much as I did... still, Egwene's reaction was priceless. As much as I've come to like her recently, she has gotten quite the big head. It was nice to see Perrin show her what *real* T'A'R chops look like.

I really liked the Avi bits too. Although my favorite prt was when Mat beat the Snakes and Foxes and had his moment not accepting his luck but understanding it. I also loved his speech to them as he left the Tower. "You Unwashed Lumps on a Pigs Backside" HA I love how BS writes Mat.

Avi's trip through the columns was just plain awesome. Not as cool as Rand's trip in TSR, but pretty damn close. I hope RJ wrote that.

The battle of Maradon was well done. The forging of Perrin's hammer definitely evoked the old affection I felt for his character 15 years ago. Matt cutting his way out of the Tower of Ghenjei was also especially badass.

As an aside, I love how Nyn has now become one of the greatest characters in the series. Maybe she'll even talk a little more sense into Egghead.

Copied and pasted from my post in the other thread with some edits

avorite scenes in no particular order...except the first

1. Rand's scene with Tam. The Dragon Reborn weeping. That choked me up a little.

2. Perrin smacking balefire in the face

3. Battle in the dreamworld with Mesaana / Perrin's fight with Slayer... EPIC

4. Hopper's death - I don't know why but I really cared for Hopper. He was like Mr Miyagi to me

5. Rand's "visit" to the White Tower

6. All the scenes with Lan...nice bit of humor

7. Androl! It's nice to see the POV of the loyal Ashaman.

8. Aviendha's visions of the future... confusing scenes. I'm assuming they are more a depiction of what MIGHT be and not what WILL be but they were very cool nonetheless

9. Byar getting what he deserves. I've been waiting so long for his death.

10. The Tower of Ghenji sequence - The battles, Matt's bargain, Jain's last stand, Thom's reunion with Moraine, Mat's sacriface...lots of good stuff

11. BOOTS! :biggrin:

12. Battle of maradon (parts with Iturade) Sometimes it's nice to see some good old fashioned hack and slash and no crazy OP stuff

Disappointing Scenes

1. All the reunions between Morgase and her children. They all lacked any emotional punches. I wanted to feel something but I couldn't.

2. Perrin had a great storyline but some of his/Faile's scenes went on for a little too long.

3. The scenes with Thom and Moraine could've been expanded a bit. Don't get me wrong; they were great scenes but I think more could've been written of them.

4. Rand vs 100,000 trollocs. Yes, I agree the scene itself is awesome; Rand taking down tens of thousands of trollocs by himself. But I was disappointed with the writing and the descriptions. Maybe I got spoiled by the writing Jordan did for the battle of dumai's wells. There I could visualize, smell, and FEEL everything happening.

I'll look through the book and add some quotes later.

There, holding to his father, the Dragon Reborn began to weep.

I got teary at this scene.

He's changed, Cadsuane told herself. You're just going to have to accept that. Not that he didn't need her anymore. Men like him grew overly confident. A few little successes, and he'd trip over his own feet and land in some predicament.

But...well, she was proud of him. Grudgingly proud. A little.

I think we've all been waiting for that for a few books now.

You may call me Rand Sedai.

Mat (and the others) in ToG

Perrin stopping BF

Finding my name in the book

Avi's visions (though disturbing too)

The badger and All Perrin and Mat reunion stuff.

Rand destroying a huge number of trollocs and the battle leading up to it

These are not in any particular order

Mat, Noal, and Thom in the Tower to save Moriane.

Avi's visions. It was very sad to see that. What happened to the Aiel. In that world at least it appears that Mat, Perrin, and Rand did not survive the last battle.

Rand killing Trollocs.

Bulen and then there were 2.

Miss queen of andor the Prim. Mat and Elayne.

Someone finally killing Byar.

Perrin was very good in this book. He was not boring like in the last ones. The balefire scene was great.

Finally we know who killed Asmo

Grendal getting some

Those scary Aiel at the end. Watch out. I always knew that dagger produced mist. Fain is the sickest bastard ever.

What is going on in the Black Tower.

Nyneave healing the madness. She will need a sa' angreal to heal Rand's though

Avi's trip through the columns was just plain awesome. Not as cool as Rand's trip in TSR, but pretty damn close. I hope RJ wrote that.

I have to ask ... why? Really, what does it matter who wrote it?

Many agree that the trip through the columns in TSR is one of, if not the, finest moments in the series. RJ at his finest (he agreed, btw). I think it would complete RJ's awesomeness if he were the one to write that screen (or at least script it). Otherwise, it would feel like BS challenging RJ's achievement. Saying, "Look, I can do this too".

I am eternally grateful to BS and like that he is trying to find his own voice within the series. In fact, I respect him a great deal for that. However, if he's just trying to ape RJ's triumph, he takes away from the work that he has done so far.

I have to ask ... why? Really, what does it matter who wrote it?

Many agree that the trip through the columns in TSR is one of, if not the, finest moments in the series. RJ at his finest (he agreed, btw). I think it would complete RJ's awesomeness if he were the one to write that screen (or at least script it). Otherwise, it would feel like BS challenging RJ's achievement. Saying, "Look, I can do this too".

I am eternally grateful to BS and like that he is trying to find his own voice within the series. In fact, I respect him a great deal for that. However, if he's just trying to ape RJ's triumph, he takes away from the work that he has done so far.

While I appreciate your feelings, I think most people would disagree, to include Brandon Sanderson. He's not doing this to show up RJ, or imitate RJ, or take RJ's place, or usurp RJ's triumph. He's just doing what he needs to do to complete the story the way the Creator meant it to be.

If that called for a parallel to the original column sequence, thats what he did, to the best of his ability to make it fit with the first sequence. Based upon everything Brandon has said, and the rest of team Jordan, I can safely say there was no "ap[ing of] RJ's triumph" involved.

While doing WoT has definitely boosted BS's sales, Brandon didn't do WoT to take over and ride its success ... he did it purely for the love of the story, and to do the best he could to finish it off.

That, at least, is my honest opinion, based upon the interviews I've read and heard from Brandon, and team Jordan. This thread is not about that, however, so I'll leave it there.

You may call me Rand Sedai.

I wont be picking up the book for a good few hours now (it's 1:48am here :biggrin:!).. but PLEASE will someone explain this bit?

Rand finally calls out Cadsuane for her incessant talking-down and addressing him as "boy". There is a great follow-up line that he has that I will not reveal to you now, seeing as you'll be getting your hands on the book in a few short hours.

Rand finally calls out Cadsuane for her incessant talking-down and addressing him as "boy". There is a great follow-up line that he has that I will not reveal to you now, seeing as you'll be getting your hands on the book in a few short hours.

Thank you. I've just done my self an injury from jumping up and down with glee, but thank you :tongue:! I admit I wish he said it whilst addressing the Aes Sedai in the Tower, but Cadsuane is good enough :biggrin:! Right, I better get off this forum before I kill my self by reading all the spoilers.

Oh! def. the part where I just finished, and facebook had a thing that said 'Asmo's killer was revealed" and i'm like WTF where?

then I remembered Moridin's chat with lady-g in the epiclogue.

followed by most dissapointing scene? Easily Thom/moiraine

it's like

I dunno. It felt like Brandon was feeling guilty about writing Mat 'wrong' in the last book, so he had to oblige and give us something we've been talking about in the threads forever, sorry i burnt your meat loaf, here's more potatoes

Also, did anyone else verbally shout out OH I SEE when Rand was in audience with tenobia and paitar, when paitar asked about the girl from the age of legends

followed by most dissapointing scene? Easily Thom/moiraine

it's like

I dunno. It felt like Brandon was feeling guilty about writing Mat 'wrong' in the last book, so he had to oblige and give us something we've been talking about in the threads forever, sorry i burnt your meat loaf, here's more potatoes

Also, did anyone else verbally shout out OH I SEE when Rand was in audience with tenobia and paitar, when paitar asked about the girl from the age of legends

Do you really feel he wrote Mat wrong? Some of my favorite Mat moments come from tGS the back story for each character classic.

Oh! def. the part where I just finished, and facebook had a thing that said 'Asmo's killer was revealed" and i'm like WTF where?

Is it too much to ask for a quote from that conversation. Just the few lines between Mr Tedronai & Miss Nindar that concern Mr Roadkill and perhaps Miss Nindar's Glossary bit? Now that the cat's out of the bag, I'm just dying to know how it was worded.

I'd really appreciate it, since I probably won't have my copy untill as late as the end of November....

Is it too much to ask for a quote from that conversation. Just the few lines between Mr Tedronai & Miss Nindar that concern Mr Roadkill and perhaps Miss Nindar's Glossary bit? Now that the cat's out of the bag, I'm just dying to know how it was worded.

I'd really appreciate it, since I probably won't have my copy untill as late as the end of November....

kay here goes, also Note my mistake, the convo was between SH and her, not moridin and her. I hope it doesn't ruin you because the conversation is a web of spoilers, inside of spoilers.

rather large spoiler....blah blah....," Shaidar Haran whispered. "Three CHosen, destroyed by your actions. The design builds, a lattice of failure, a framework of incompetence."

So that's Aran'Gar, The one from this book and who's number 3? Asmo.

Archived