DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Olver is Gaidal Cain!

bigWalt

Been a while since I read the RJ quote that debunked this, so I had to go looking for it. Figured there might be a sneaky

"Is Olver Gaidal Cain?"

"Nope. ("He's Olver, Gaidal Cain reborn" Jordan thought fiendishly to himself)

But no, it's about as clear as you can get....

Q: Is Olver Gaidal Cain?

RJ: No. I didn't really think that this would last as long as it has. The timing is wrong. He has another reason for being there besides being a red herring, though.

Q: He's too old.

RJ: Yes. Time in T'A'R and the real world run at different rates, but it never runs backwards. You may spend an hour in T'A'R, and a day has passed when you get back, or you may spend a day, and an hour has passed when you get back, but you'll never go in on Tuesday and come back on Monday.

Q: Is the difference in time constant?

RJ: No. It's fairly random. Sometimes fast, sometimes slow, sometimes the same as real time.

Q: It's different for different people, then?

RJ: Yes. Unless they're together in T'A'R. Then the same amount of time passes for them obviously.

On a side note, I got this from the replies section on a funky Theoryland page putting forth the idea that Olver is....Mat reborn! *dun dun dun*

I know this is most likely a joke, but on the off chance it isnt.

Thats a ridiculous statement and plain disrespect for RJ.

IF that isnt enough, the books themselves make it perfectly obvious.

Gaidal was only recently reborn, not exactly sure when, but he was present in TAR AT LEAST in tSR.

WE meet Olver in LoC which is not a year since tSR.

Olver is 6.

He cannot be Gaidal Reborn.

Now this is most likely a joke, so I am not taking it seriously, but yeah. No way in hell.

Who is too say that the great Robert Jordan was not fibbing when he said at some convention that Olver was not Gaidal Cain?

Why not remake the series while you're at it? These comments about RJ lying in interviews are ridiculous.

RJ: Olver isnt Gaidal

Infidel: So he is then

RJ: No, theyre different dudes

Infidel: How about you show them at the same time then?

RJ: Gaidal is dead how on earth can I do that?!?!

Infidel: Whoa its your book Im not writing it for you

People need to get a grip and admit that they might be wrong, and realise how stupid they look when they act like that. I cant even put into words how ridiculous it is that people hold onto these theories after it being clearly said in as outright a manner as possible that Olver is NOT Gaidal. There isnt even a way to outrule it in the books, because anyone who said outright "Gaidal isnt Olver" is only a character and their PoV would be put down as "possibly wrong" like everyone else in the books.

Seriously. If an RJ quote cant outrule it, what the hell can?

See, I personally find all the Bela jokes more obnoxious than the hundreds of people who believe Olver to be Gaidal Cain or Taim to be Demandred. Honestly. Am I the only one? Maybe. But it's a running gag that should have been put down years ago.

So ah... there's that, I suppose :p

As for the issue at hand, I really really really really really really really hope that it turns out Taim IS Demandred, just so everyone who argues "but RJ said it!" can feel silly. I mean, really, what's to stop someone from lying about that? If I were an author I would totally lie (a better word would be "misguide") so people (a) stopped bugging me about it, (b) stopped giving secrets away to others and/or © would think I'm cool (some way, some how, someone would have this reaction...).

I'm not saying he did lie to guide people away from stuff in his books--he has no reason to, and he comes across as a very straightforward and genuine guy--but I am saying that in my perfect world I would find amusement in it if he had.

The reasons why a lotta people think Olver is Cain are his physical appearance, and the fact that he seems to be hero material, with the Redarms, Mat, Thom, Noal, Vanin, and Juilin training him. He might become the best assassin ever. Of course, he could pour it all down the drain and become a Warder.

Been a while since I read the RJ quote that debunked this, so I had to go looking for it. Figured there might be a sneaky

"Is Olver Gaidal Cain?"

RJ: No. I didn't really think that this would last as long as it has. The timing is wrong. He has another reason for being there besides being a red herring, though.

RJ: Yes. Time in T'A'R and the real world run at different rates, but it never runs backwards. You may spend an hour in T'A'R, and a day has passed when you get back, or you may spend a day, and an hour has passed when you get back, but you'll never go in on Tuesday and come back on Monday.

RJ: No. It's fairly random. Sometimes fast, sometimes slow, sometimes the same as real time.

RJ: Yes. Unless they're together in T'A'R. Then the same amount of time passes for them obviously.

On a side note, I got this from the replies section on a funky Theoryland page putting forth the idea that Olver is....Mat reborn! *dun dun dun*

Birgette said in The Fires of Heaven "Gaidal is out there somewhere, an infant, or even a young boy."

That is enough for me to still believe Olver is Gaidal, I can just see Robert Jordan laughing to himself about how surprised the readers would be upon learning that Olver was indeed Gaidal Cain.

Birgette said in The Fires of Heaven "Gaidal is out there somewhere, an infant, or even a young boy."

That is enough for me to still believe Olver is Gaidal, I can just see Robert Jordan laughing to himself about how surprised the readers would be upon learning that Olver was indeed Gaidal Cain.

This can be explained, actually. At the time she says this, Birgitte is still in T'A'R and the passage of time for her is inconsistent. She has no way of knowing how long it's been in Randland since Gaidal left T'A'R to be reborn. For a Hero of the Horn that's done this cycle countless times in the past, she knows that she has no way of knowing how long ago it was in reality, so she gives herself a wide range of possibilities for his age. We as readers (and probably Nyneave too) know that it wasn't more than a few months.

This can be explained, actually. At the time she says this, Birgitte is still in T'A'R and the passage of time for her is inconsistent. She has no way of knowing how long it's been in Randland since Gaidal left T'A'R to be reborn. For a Hero of the Horn that's done this cycle countless times in the past, she knows that she has no way of knowing how long ago it was in reality, so she gives herself a wide range of possibilities for his age. We as readers (and probably Nyneave too) know that it wasn't more than a few months.

No that was after she was torn out of the dream world and awakens in the wagon.

No that was after she was torn out of the dream world and awakens in the wagon.

Ok then, just after she was torn out. Her awareness of the passage of time from when Gaidal is no longer in T'A'R to the present in Randland is still inconsistent, so it's basically the same thing.

"Is Olver Gaidal Cain?"

You do know its physically impossible.

Not only has RJ stated it, but its inconsistent with teh story.

A soul cannot just be popped into a 6 year old boy.

We see Gaidal in TAR in the Shadows Rising at least.

Olver is 6.

Unless your suggesting that the DO stole Olver's soul and transmitigated Gaidal's into the body, its a load of rubbish.

Seriously, this is the most ridiculous thing I have ever seen on DM.

"Is Olver Gaidal Cain?"

You do know its physically impossible.

Not only has RJ stated it, but its inconsistent with teh story.

A soul cannot just be popped into a 6 year old boy.

We see Gaidal in TAR in the Shadows Rising at least.

Olver is 6.

Unless your suggesting that the DO stole Olver's soul and transmitigated Gaidal's into the body, its a load of rubbish.

Seriously, this is the most ridiculous thing I have ever seen on DM.

Actually Olver is ten, and proud of it!

I have spent the last day trying to reaquent myself with all the info that Brandon and Jordan have given in interviews and book tours. You can get a feel for Jordan's style of misdirection in seeing how he has answered questions pertaining to events that have now been revealed and taken place in the books.

In over 15 years of these interviews being given, Jordan has never once flat out lied about something and then turned around and went, "Well I had to lie to keep ya guessing".

No, I think Jordan would have found that concept to be utterly opposed to his way of thinking. Why lie? He always had much more fun tangling the string for us to chase.

Ever since Verin, I try to be very open-minded about everything around here, but I just don't see Jordan's statement having wiggle room.

Olver is either not Cain, or Jordan lied. And 15 years of evidence indicates that Jordan did not do the latter.

As far as I know Robert Jordan has never fibbed in an interview. He is a man of great honor, hell he invented Ji'e'toh! Lol but seriously, I don't know how this is still kicking around, its worse than the Taim - Demandred theory. At least that makes a lot of sense.

Archived