DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

The Bodyswap Theory

Luckers

The Bodyswap Theory - Updated

The bodyswap theory began during one of the original discussions about the possibility that the Third Man that Rand began to see in his dreams during tPoD was Moridin. It was based on an attempt by me to solve certain contradictions between the prophecies that relate to Rand's death--contradictions which I thought might be solvable if a link between Rand and Moridin truly did exist. I've always meant to update it, but I just couldn't find the energy. I figure now, with tGS still fresh in people’s minds, is as good a time as any.

Rand's Death; A Plethora of Prophecy!

There has been a lot of theories over the years to explain Rand's death. Each would take one of the various prophecies and run with it--the problem being that whilst these theories might fulfil one of the prophecies, they usually ignored the others. So that is what I looked at--rather than trying to answer a singular prophecy, I chose to see if the prophecies as a whole established any requirements or limitations to the Rand's Death Scenario. Before I state what my final deductions were, here is my compilation of relevant prophecies concerning Rand's death.

The Prophecies of Rand's Death

1. EGWENE DREAMING: Logain, laughing, stepped across something on the ground and mounted a black stone; when she looked down, she thought it was Rand's body he had stepped over, laid out on a funeral bier with his hands crossed at his breast, but when she touched his face, it broke apart like a paper puppet. [ACOS: 10, Unseen Eyes, 202]

2. EGWENE DREAMING: A man lay dying in a narrow bed, and it was important that he not die, yet outside a funeral pyre was being built, and voices raised songs of joy and sadness. [ACOS: 10, Unseen Eyes, 203]

3. EGWENE DREAMING: Rand, wearing different masks, until suddenly one of those false faces was no longer a mask, but him. [TPOD: 15, Stronger than Written Law, 308]

4. MIN VIEWING: three women standing over a funeral bier with [Rand] on it. [tEotW]

5. MIN VIEWING: [Min]"Rand, I like Alivia, But she is going to kill you." [Rand replies]: "You said she was going to help me die… Those were your words." [WH: 25, Bonds, 483]

6.1 NICOLA FORETELLING: Three on the boat, and he who is dead yet lives. [LOC: 14, Dreams and Nightmares, 255] [Which we know is Rand because of the next point.]

6.2 WISE ONE DREAMING: Melaine and Bair dreamed of [Rand] on a boat with three women whose faces they could not see and a scale tilting first one way and then the other. [LOC: 19, Matters of Toh, 312]

7.1 AELFINN ANSWER: [Rand] knew he had a chance to live, if a seemingly impossible one. If you would live, you must die. [LOC: 26, Connecting Lines, 373]

7.2 AELFINN ANSWER: [Rand] had been told by those he had to believe. To live, you must die. [WH: 25, Bonds, 483]

The Luckers Pick

So, as I said, there are many individual answers to each of these prophecies, but if you look at the following three together you can actually begin to establish some restrictions and requirements for Rand’s death.

1. To live, you must die.

2. He who is dead yet lives.

3. [Alivia] is going to [help you die].

As a result of these three we can establish these following points.

1. Rand must actually die. The wording is too clear here to permit him faking his death, or people assuming that he is dead in the event that he disappears, or any derivation thereof. He must actually die (more on this in a second).

2. This death must be the result of an intentional effort by himself, with Alivia's aid. Alivia will help him die. Alivia will not kill him, she will aid HIM in causing his own death.

3. That some aspect of himself must survive his death... and I mean that literally. It must SURVIVE, not just be resurrected or resuscitated later. The language is clear, he who is dead, YET lives. Concurrent states. He is both dead AND alive, not dead THEN alive. Note the Mat prophecy. To die and live again as a part of what was. He died, THEN he lives again. Rand dies, YET he lives.

The Nature of Death

Or we could call this part the Nature of Life in the Wheel. All I'm really looking to point out is that due to the cycle of resurrection within the wheel a living person has three distinct parts; body, soul and the manifest personality of the current incarnation. In terms of the theory, the significant part of all this is that 'death' in the world of the wheel is established by the death of the physical body in which a person resides. Their souls do not die at this time, yet they are still termed as dead.

In particular the Forsaken stand in as evidence for this--their bodies died, their souls continued, and even the manifest personality of that incarnation remained cohesive--yet they are still said to have died, and refer to their 'death' in the possessive--it was their death, not simply the death of their body.

The Body Swap

What is the Body Swap Theory?

So keeping all that in mind, let's look at the actual theory. It's actually pretty much what you expect--that Rand and Moridin will swap bodies using the link that formed between them when they crossed their balefire streams. Then Alivia will assist Rand-in-Moridins-body to kill Moridin-in-Rands-body thus 'helping him die' and fulfilling requirement two. At that point Rand will be dead, yet alive fulfilling requirement three, and a part of him will genuinely be dead, under the definitions of death established in this series, fulfilling requirement one.

So How Will the Swap Occur?

As I said above the link will be what facilitates the link, but taking a closer look at that link can tell us a bit about the how and why. Firstly, the link is growing stronger. From fuzzy perceptions to thoughts crossing over to Rand and Moridin's souls being yanked together for a dream Q&A in tGS we've seen a steady progression and development of this link since it first formed.

From there I would bring up the saidin factor. Whilst the link seems to have a certain passive element--with thoughts sliding through unasked--there is also a state to it which can specifically be activated by either Rand or Moridin seizing or releasing saidin. And it is just saidin--which is curious, one would think for Moridin it would be the True Power given that's what he was channeling, but it isn't--Demandred notes that Moridin after three thousand years of using both saidin and the TP has suddenly given up using saidin altogether--ergo, it is saidin which is causing the nausea in him. I wrote a full thread on my thoughts about why its saidin, and why they're experiencing nausea which can be found here if anyone is interested http://forums.dragonmount.com/index.php/topic,47417.0.html

For the sake of the body swap though, all we need to know is that saidin activates the link, and that the link is growing stronger as time passes. My suggestion therefore for how the Swap will happen is that Rand and Moridin will be fighting and Rand will cut Moridin off from the Dark One as he did in tDR. Now I'm aware RJ has said those black threads are not a connection to the Dark One, and that channeling the True Power is simply a matter of the Dark One giving his permission--but the fact remains that in tDR that did cut Ishamael off from the True Power.

I've speculated that those threads are the Chosen Mark, and are what enables Ishamael to ask--as in it serves as permission to ask. Whatever it is its involved in the process of asking and recieving in some way. I'm getting off track--the point is that Moridin will be cut off from the True Power, forcing him to draw saidin. Rand and Moridin both channeling saidin at the same time in proximity will activate the link so strongly they their souls will swap bodies.

Let's Clean House

Soul Transfer and Manipulation

One of the commonly raised objections/questions about the Body Swap is the question of the basis for suggesting a swap to even be possible. They point out that only the Dark One's been seen doing that sort of things, and ask what basis there is to suggest Rand and Moridin could even swap intentionally, much less accidentally without effort. The reply to that is that it’s a misconception to think the Dark One is the only one playing with souls. In fact Soul Manipulation is relatively common within the series. Here, off the top of my head.

1. Mordeth's soul survives his body’s death and inserts itself into Fain's body--and should have been able to oust Fain except for the Dark One's taint in him.

2. Dreamwalkers/Wolves--from when Perrin stayed in the Dream too long when hunting Faile we know that Dreamwalkers souls actually leave their body to enter TAR. As do Wolves when they sleep or die.

3. Ter’angreal--the above obviously means that the dream ter'angreal can pull peoples souls out of their bodies. Also the hedgehog that captured Faile captured her soul and pulled it almost all the way out of her body.

4. Machin Shin devours soul’s whole.

5. Draghkar also devour souls.

Of course none of these are specifically what we're suggesting here, they simply serve to establish that the sort of soul manipulation and transferral were talking about is not out of the norm for the Wheel of Time. They cumulatively establish precedent for the general art of Soul Transferral.

Conclusions

So that's it. I know a lot of you don't like the Body Swap. I don't really like it myself, but it fits. And, to date, it is the only one that does fit. But make of it what you will, and try not to rip into me too harshly. I'll cry. ;D

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

First off, I am with you, Im not liking it, it seems kinda stupid, but it does fit, Ill not be suprised if it happens.

Also note that I DO think he will have to die, but I think some points are questionable.

1. EGWENE DREAMING: Logain, laughing, stepped across something on the ground and mounted a black stone; when she looked down, she thought it was Rand's body he had stepped over, laid out on a funeral bier with his hands crossed at his breast, but when she touched his face, it broke apart like a paper puppet. [ACOS: 10, Unseen Eyes, 202]

That one, I know most people wont agree, but i still think this is about Taim. Logain has SOMETHING to do with the fall of Taim, whether the AS will actually complete the job, i think he will be there when it happens. I always took it to be Taim. We know Taim has been a false Dragon, he is the M'Hael, he has the Blue Dragons on his sleeve, he wants to be like Rand. Remember in tSR, the BA plan to use Taim, I think there is more truth to it than it seems. Look at the wording of the Dream. she THOUGHT it was Rand BUT... that suggests it not actually being Rand. Look at the wording of "puppet". Isnt that what the BA wanted to do with Taim? Iam near certain this is the meaning, but I know I am probably wrong, but there it is.

2. EGWENE DREAMING: A man lay dying in a narrow bed, and it was important that he not die, yet outside a funeral pyre was being built, and voices raised songs of joy and sadness. [ACOS: 10, Unseen Eyes, 203]

Note the phrase "it was important he not die". Now again, Im NOT suggesting that he wont die, but i dont think we can take this as any real indication. It does however, present the interesting point, it links with the "Nyneave heals death" theory. Everyone thinks Rand is gone for good, but Nyneave thinks she can heal him.

6.1 NICOLA FORETELLING: Three on the boat, and he who is dead yet lives. [LOC: 14, Dreams and Nightmares, 255] [Which we know is Rand because of the next point.]

This I also disagree with. This is not necessarily an indication of Rand's death. I think could refer to Lews Therin. Just like the "standing on his own grave" prophecy. Rand is LTT. Lews Therin is dead. Rand is alive. He who is dead yet lives. Now I know im probably wrong on this, but I just dont think we can take it for proof that he dies.

The rest of the quotes however, as you said, pretty much seals it. He WILL have to die somehow. But just thought to point out those few things.

I am in two minds about this. (Shut up, LTT, and let me speak! :wink: )

Firstly, yes I think Rand will physically die at some point before or during TG. However, I think he has already fulfilled the Aelfinn answer 'If you would live, you must die', by 'dying' as Darth Rand on Dragonmount. I also think that Alivia helped him to 'die' by persuading Tam to go to Tear* and talk to Rand. This was arguably the beginning of Rand's cure.

*The only indication we have of this is when Nyn and Min meet a disappointed-looking Alivia on their way to see Caddy. What was she disappointed about? Had she asked to go with them to get Tam and been refused? Had she watched them form a gateway, made her own, and went anyway? We do know she's enthusiastic to learn new weaves.

And I don't think Alivia or indeed anyone else would help Rand die physically in any way because that would simply hand his soul to the DO on a plate; which is something Moiraine realised as long ago as EotW:

"If the Lord of the Grave has gained as much freedom to touch the Pattern as I fear, he can reach you dead more easily than alive, now. Dead, you can help no-one.. The Shadow is falling over the world, and none of you can stop it dead."

I support the body-swap theory. And I have one more thing to add: to use Callandor, Rand needs 2 female channelers. Moridin has the 2 mindtraps - of Cyndane and Moghi. In Moridin's body, Rand could then link with the 2 of them since he has control over them...

What do you think of that? :wink:

That isn't true, Far, Rand is one of the hero's of the horn, and as such would be bound in TAR once he died, where the DO cannot reach him.

Correct in most cases, although if Rand was to die at this stage with the Dark Ones influencing this much, who knows what the DO would be capable of. Its entirely possible with the prison this weakened he would be able to grab Rands soul before it got to TAR. In any case, its hard to argue for or against the extent of the DO's powers :P

Ive always liked the bodyswap idea. I think it ties up alot of plots and loose ends if it were to happen. It would tie up the whole Moridin plotline, Rand would have a new body that wasn't physically damaged and on the brink of breaking down, as well as always being dizzy and struggling to channel sometimes, Alivia, Rand and Logain would fulfill Mins visions, Rand would fulfill the whole dying prophecy, etc etc. And thus far, I havent seen any glaring pieces of evidence against it, nothing that says it couldnt possibly happen. It doesn't destroy any current wheel of time "physics" and the idea has been hinted at throughout the series, so its not something completely out of nowhere.

Mmm, the one thing I love about this theory is that it gives Rand a chance at a normal, happy life. I mean even if the saa don't go away. He could even go on to do stuff--become an Asha'men, have a role in the world, make things like he'd always wanted--and he needn't have the stigma of being the Dragon hang over him.

If he survives as Rand he'll either have to like his life in hiding, or live with the all the awe, but none of the power of being the Dragon with no Tarmon Gai'don.

Mmm, the one thing I love about this theory is that it gives Rand a chance at a normal, happy life. I mean even if the saa don't go away. He could even go on to do stuff--become an Asha'men, have a role in the world, make things like he'd always wanted--and he needn't have the stigma of being the Dragon hang over him.

If he survives as Rand he'll either have to like his life in hiding, or live with the all the awe, but none of the power of being the Dragon with no Tarmon Gai'don.

I guess the main thing for me is I cant see him surviving TG in his current body. It is a wreck. Just delving into it makes everyone shudder. Not to mention with the link him and Moridin have, whats going to happen when they battle each other? It just wouldn't work. Moridin will have to be taken care of some other way, and the bodyswap idea fulfills that perfectly.

That isn't true, Far, Rand is one of the hero's of the horn, and as such would be bound in TAR once he died, where the DO cannot reach him.

I don't think he's a HotH as such - though the Dragonsoul has been reborn millions of times, and has fought both alongside and against the Heroes such as Artur Hawkwing. He may dwell in T'A'R between lives, I don't think we know this, do we?

But the important thing is not my opinion, but Moiraine's. :moiraine:

I don't think he's a HotH as such - though the Dragonsoul has been reborn millions of times, and has fought both alongside and against the Heroes such as Artur Hawkwing. He may dwell in T'A'R between lives, I don't think we know this, do we?

But the important thing is not my opinion, but Moiraine's. :moiraine:

Rand'soul is a HotH, RJ has confirmed it :)

The Path of Daggers book tour 22 October 1998, Los Angeles - Pam Basham reporting

Q: "Is [the Dragon] soul born in any other Age, or only at the advent and (theoretically, of course) the closing of the Third Age, as the Dragon/the Dragon Reborn?"

RJ: This soul is one of the Heroes, and bound to the Wheel, spun out as the Pattern wills.

There is more to the answer, but not relating to this question, but here is the link anyway. https://docs.google.com/Doc?id=dcjspjqg_73dz7wfhgt

I must admit I had never thought of the body swap as a possibility for this fulfillment. Your theory is concisely presented, I like it. However, I also see how some of the other postulated theories can play out. Also, I think "Darth Rand" already dying on dragonmount is a big stretch to fulfill this prohphecy. I can't wait to find out though! *counts the days*

The only thing that doesn't really seem to fit (Or even be necessary) is Alivia's involvement IMO. Why should she specifically be the one to kill Morridin in Rands body if indeed the body swap occurs? Why couldn't Rand just do it himself? Or Nynaeve? Or Aviendha? Or *insert just about anyone here*?

Min didn't say Alivia had to be the one for any specific reason, just that she would be the one. Min's viewings of the future aren't of things that must happen, they are of things that will. Do you understand the distinction I'm making--Min's viewings don't require a reason, just an event. That Alivia will do it doesn't mean Nynaeve couldn't have if things played out different, just that things will play out with Alivia doing it.

It might be something complex, say Alivia's reverence for Rand will lead her to do something others won't, or it may just be that she'll be in the right place at the right time.

So why does it have to be Alivia and not someone else? Because Min saw Alivia doing it, not someone else.

The only thing that doesn't really seem to fit (Or even be necessary) is Alivia's involvement IMO. Why should she specifically be the one to kill Morridin in Rands body if indeed the body swap occurs? Why couldn't Rand just do it himself? Or Nynaeve? Or Aviendha? Or *insert just about anyone here*?

Min didn't say Alivia had to be the one for any specific reason, just that she would be the one. Min's viewings of the future aren't of things that must happen, they are of things that will. Do you understand the distinction I'm making--Min's viewings don't require a reason, just an event. That Alivia will do it doesn't mean Nynaeve couldn't have if things played out different, just that things will play out with Alivia doing it.

It might be something complex, say Alivia's reverence for Rand will lead her to do something others won't, or it may just be that she'll be in the right place at the right time.

So why does it have to be Alivia and not someone else? Because Min saw Alivia doing it, not someone else.

Ahh okay, I gotcha.

Well as logical as your argument seems to be, I think I have to disagree. It seems to me that Rand is obviously a Christ figure. The symbology is clear. Rand is "born of a Maiden." According to the Christian Bible, Christ was born of the Virgin Mary. I'm not trying to stump for a religion here, just stating what seems obvious to me. Also, the wounds in Rand's side are analagous to the wound in given to Jesus by a Roman soldier. Further, according to the Bible, Christ was seen to be dead, was put in the tomb, then was resurrected on the third day. There have been ample references to Nynaeve not being happy until she "heals someone three days dead." This could be foreshadowing of Rand's resurrection.

It just doesn't make sense to me for an author to put that many allusions to the Christ figure for the story not to go that way.

Well as logical as your argument seems to be, I think I have to disagree. It seems to me that Rand is obviously a Christ figure. The symbology is clear. Rand is "born of a Maiden." According to the Christian Bible, Christ was born of the Virgin Mary. I'm not trying to stump for a religion here, just stating what seems obvious to me. Also, the wounds in Rand's side are analagous to the wound in given to Jesus by a Roman soldier. Further, according to the Bible, Christ was seen to be dead, was put in the tomb, then was resurrected on the third day. There have been ample references to Nynaeve not being happy until she "heals someone three days dead." This could be foreshadowing of Rand's resurrection.

It just doesn't make sense to me for an author to put that many allusions to the Christ figure for the story not to go that way.

That problem is that is that Jordan has always used mythology to inform the characters, not to dictate plot.

That being said, I've never been a fan of people drawing ties between Jesus and Rand. Rand was not a virgin birth, and there are far stronger ties to mythology in the sense of having a warrior mother than in the semanticism of 'Maiden of the Spear' being mistaken for indicating virginity. His wounds are not stigmata--Jesus never got tattoos, brands or lost a hand, Rand has no injuries to his feet or ankles--and for that matter Jesus is not the only mythological messianic figure to suffer injuries in doing his 'savouring'.

Ideologically Rand's nature has more in common with the bodhisatva, a soul spun out again and again in service of the people, than it does with God giving birth to himself in order to wage a spiritual war for the wellbeing of his peoples soul. Indeed that is probably my strongest problem with the concept--Rand and Jesus are intrinsically opposed--the first is a warrior set to defeat an evil God, whose interest lie mostly in ensuring the human race survive in general, the latter is a spiritual leader sent to heal the ideological integrity of his people. The two are dichotomous.

What similarities there are between them are limited, and not unique to them, and they are greatly offset by the differences between them. Other than that both are vaguely messianic figures there is not much that lay between them.

• 4 months later...

The body swap theory does explain a lot of the prophecy/viewings about Rand's death, to be sure - I'll be fascinated by however it turns out.

Just a thought... perhaps the body swap theory also explains the "something odd" about Min's viewing of Aviendha's babies.

Body swap is an interesting theory. It might also explain the plural in "He shall hold a blade of light in his hands and the three shall be one". Rand has only one hand currently. Of course other explanations are possible for that one like an artificial hand of some sort (Min saw Callandor in a hand made of Onyx).

The body swap theory does explain a lot of the prophecy/viewings about Rand's death, to be sure - I'll be fascinated by however it turns out.

Just a thought... perhaps the body swap theory also explains the "something odd" about Min's viewing of Aviendha's babies.

That's my theory too. There are elements in Towers of Midnight that touch on this [Aviendha's kids, not the veracity or lack thereof of this theory], and the board is still spoiler free. I might change that soon.

That's my theory too. There are elements in Towers of Midnight that touch on this [Aviendha's kids, not the veracity or lack thereof of this theory], and the board is still spoiler free. I might change that soon.

My copy of ToM just arrived an hour ago. I've got the whole day free to devour as much as I can... and once I'm done, I can finally venture into the ToM spoilers section of the board. *happy dance*

Just read that part last night. And yes, I see what you mean.

Archived