DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

[BotRH] What are you listening to?

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been listening to the cd Oracular Spectacular by MGMT a lot recently.  They're an interesting band with an interesting sound; a high usage of synths and a glam rock sort of sound.  My favorite quote about them comes from Prefix Magazine which said "sounds like a college dorm experiment gone horribly right"  Overall, there's a great eclectic mix of songs, from up tempo beats to drawn out space-rock symphonic awesomeness.  Overall I give it a 4/5

Rock n Roll Singer by Mark Kozelek. 

My friend just turned me on to this guy.  He is amazing; he started out as the lead singer for a band called "Red House Painters" before starting a side project called "Sun Kil Moon" after a Sumo Wrestler he liked.  He also has a few albums under his name.  The coolest thing about this guy, besides his voice, it that he has a bunch of cds comprised totally of covers.  He has covered Modest Mouse, Kris Kristofferson, John Denver, and the coolest (in my opinion) is a cover cd of Bon Scott-era AC/DC songs.  He doesn't just cover them, he deconstructs them, rearranges their melodies, and changes them around, but leaves the lyrics alone.  The result is a much mellowed, acoustic versions of rock songs that showcase Scott's surprising talent as a songwriter (which you don't see as much during AC/DC's hard rocking versions).  I've only listened to a little of his stuff, but I'm about to buy some cds and really dive into this awesome new discovery.

Google is a beautiful thing  ;D

It's alright, I didn't know what Eurovision was before this time last year.  Eurovision is basically a big song contest that any country in Europe that belongs to the European Broadcasting Union can participate in.  Each country enters a song and singers and then votes on their favorite.  In the end, one song wins and it's prestigious for the country.  Apparently it's pretty big in Europe.