DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Mat's Ashandari (potentially stupid question)

Doselan

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In Randland they probably know about iron in blood.  Or at least they could.  They know some things that a society at their stage of development might not know, simply because they are coming at it from the other end.  An advanced society reverting to a more primitive one.  Some knowledge is lost, some is preserved.

Also, they also have the custom of cutting your hand and shaking as a ceremony indicating a strong binding agreement.  The Borderland leaders do this in the prologue for Path of Daggers.

Ethenielle hissed as her belt knife slashed across her left palm. Tenobia laughed at cutting hers. Paitar and Easar might as well have been plucking splinters. Four hands reached out and met, gripped, heart’s blood mingling, dripping to the ground, soaking into the stony dirt. “We are one, to the death,” Easar said, and they all spoke with him. “We are one, to the death.” By blood and soil, they were committed. Now they had to find Rand al’Thor. And do what needed to be done. Whatever the price.

Can someone remind me which set of Finns Moiraine is with? If

it's the ones that were wearing stuff made of skin, I'd imagine

there's no useful means to harm them with blood.

Dammit people I already solved this one, it's cuendillar! ;)

@farthammer: blood doesn't bind iron, it is made with it, iron turns up in the haemoglobin in the red cells. Blood binds to oxygen and carbon dioxide (according to their relative concentrations) and - if you're very unlucky - to carbon monoxide, usually fatally.

I'm not a biologist and saw no need to introduce a bunch of jargon for no reason if the general idea could be conveyed but here you go.  And here.

Thanks, I'll consider myself educated! ;)

@aunt_pol: Moiraine fell through the Eelfinn (skinning) doorway, but there are indications she encountered both sets.

Thom is going bring spoons for music, Mat will lose he eye and get an iron one made and bring that and Noal will create fire by rubbing his elbow and knee together really fast.

Like the spoons bit, but the iron is obviously going to come from their blood. They just have to eat a bunch of liver before entering the Tower, grab Moiraine, and if she isn't burned out they just cut themselves and she draws the iron out and makes a boomerang with it (while Thom is hypnotizing the Finns with spoons). The Finns don't like iron because they have a magnetic attraction to it in large concentrations, so when Mat throws the boomerang it drags them all over the place. Unfortunately Mat also gets distracted by Thom's music, and when the boomerang whips back it hits him in the eye. It's intuitively obvious  ;)

Thom is going bring spoons for music, Mat will lose he eye and get an iron one made and bring that and Noal will create fire by rubbing his elbow and knee together really fast.

Like the spoons bit, but the iron is obviously going to come from their blood. They just have to eat a bunch of liver before entering the Tower, grab Moiraine, and if she isn't burned out they just cut themselves and she draws the iron out and makes a boomerang with it (while Thom is hypnotizing the Finns with spoons). The Finns don't like iron because they have a magnetic attraction to it in large concentrations, so when Mat throws the boomerang it drags them all over the place. Unfortunately Mat also gets distracted by Thom's music, and when the boomerang whips back it hits him in the eye. It's intuitively obvious  ;)

Oh, ya it's all so obvious now. Guess can just skip that section now that we worked it out.

• 10 months later...

Archived