DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Familiar Faces... (Attn: Boops)

Amadine

Amadine awoke with a start. Her shift was soaked in sweat and her sheet tangled about her legs where she had be tossing and turning in her sleep. She was breathless, gasping for each breath she clawed her way to sitting up. Her heart was pounding. As she calmed herself down she sighed. She was still having nightmares about her trip through the Arches to become Accepted even though they were a long time past now. The old memories of the Warder she had abandoned came to the forefront of her mind. The fact that as far as Amadine knew Caedmon was just a figment of her imagination did not dull her pain at all. She scrubbed at her tears with her fists, and then untangled the sheet from her legs before climbing out of her bed.

She filled her chipped wash bowl with fresh water from the pitcher and splashed her face with the cool refreshing water. Looking in the small mirror she had purchased for herself in Tar Valon she realised there would be no hiding her red-rimmed eyes this morning. At least it was her freeday for the week, she had planned to spend some time reading in the gardens this morning, maybe some time practising weaves with her best friend, Regalia, this afternoon and then down to the baths for a long, hot soak.

Ama really did not feel like facing anyone this morning so she pulled out the stash of bread and cheese she kept in the back of her closet and made herself a light breakfast. Between mouthful Ama pulled a fresh shift from her drawer, and then a fresh Accepted’s banded dress from within the closet as she replaced her stash of food at the back.

Going back to the stand where her washbowl stood on the weathered timber stand she peeled off her shift and placed it in her wash bag. Taking up a fresh cloth she dipped it into the water and proceeded to wring it out and freshen up her body with it. Amadine then took out a soft clean towel and dried herself off before pulling her clean shift over her head and followed it with her banded dress.

Taking up her brush her pulled it through her long red-brown hair. Twisting her hands up behind her head she wove her hair into a thick braid and tied the end with a white ribbon. She fetched out her belt and pouch and fastened it around her waist. She pulled on a pair of soft leather soled slippers and glanced around her room. Sighing, she made her bed and straightened her dresser then quietly left the room, closing the door behind her.

It was still quite early and only a few of the other Accepted were in the halls of the Accepted Quarters. She smiled and waved to a couple of girls she knew who stood chatting in front of the door to one’s room. Amadine made her way out of the Accepted Quarters and down the halls within the White Tower towards the library.

Just as she reached the Library, Amadine heard her name called from behind her. Amadine turned to see Katha Sedai, a Yellow sister, approaching her. Amadine sank into a deep curtsy. She liked Katha Sedai; the fair-haired Yellow had spent quiet some time answering Amadine’s questions on Healing weaves a few weeks ago.

“Good morning Katha Sedai. How may I assist you today?” Amadine said with a smile.

“Oh I am glad to see you Amadine” Katha smiled at her, “You have a freeday today, yes?”

Amadine nodded and Katha continued, “Misharn is ill today and it was her turn to wait on Camigwen Sedai. You will take her place and see that Camigwen does not need to exert herself, yes.” It was not a question.

Amadine curtsied and sighed inwardly *There goes my freeday* she thought before saying aloud, “Of course Katha Sedai, I shall go to her immediately.” An Accepted did not turn down the request of an Aes Sedai, and Camigwen was no ordinary Aes Sedai, she was a Yellow Sitter. Perhaps her day would go well. Ama had heard that Camigwen Sedai was very indulgent with the Accepted who waited on her each day.

“Go to the garden child, and fetch some fresh flowers for Camigwen, she does so love her daily flowers.” Katha Sedai instructed, “Off with you now.” And with that she turned and left, gliding gracefully into the library.

Amadine mourned the loss of her only freeday this month but hopefully a day with Camigwen Sedai would prove to be fruitful to her learning. Much better to be waiting on a Yellow Sitter; than a Brown or a Grey. She had done both and spent all day lugging huge piles of books back and forth from the Library to their rooms. Amadine made her way out to the flower garden and collected a posy of brightly coloured blooms, and then she ducked into the Dining Hall and made a pot of tea and collected fresh cups. Placing the flowers on the tray alongside the teapot she lifted the tray and left the Dining Hall at a stately pace.

She made her way to the Yellow Halls; Camigwen had rooms on the lowest level due to her frailty. Locating the correct door was easy. There was a brass plaque that read “Camigwen Klatsang Marivin”.  Amadine set the tray on the small table outside the large timber door and lifted her hand and rapped on the door with her knuckles.

The office of the First Weaver was quiet except for the scritching of quill upon parchment. A cool breeze blowed in through the windows and caused the orange coloured satin curtains to flutter about. A brazen burner emitted a softly scented smoke that wafted around the chambers, calming the mind of the room's only occupant. Camigwen took a deep breath. It was a good ter'angreal to have. A note that had been tagged onto it when Camigwen first found it, said that it had been found during an excavation of some site somewhere in Ebou Dar. A strange place to find an item from the Age Of Legends. Nevermind its history... she needed it today.

Camigwen was not having the best of mornings, having spent most of her time debating with her Sitters. She had originally planned to relax her mind by roaming the gardens and admiring the flowers, but then she remembered the stack of scripts she had to mark before the week was over. And that kept her indoors for the afternoon.

“Enter.” Camigwen’s voice called out firmly. Her hands automatically moved to cover the parchment in front of her with a piece of silken cloth.

The door opened silently, admitting a reddish brown haired girl in a banded dress. An Accepted for the day. Camigwen nodded approvingly at the garish coloured blooms in the arms of the Accepted. It was not as if the flowers from the previous day were dying, but it was a private indulgence of hers to have fresh ones every day.

“Camigwen Sedai.” The girl fell into a deep curtsey.

“Good morning, child.” Camigwen smiled warmly at the Accepted, whom surprisingly she had not seen in her classes thus far. But then again, Accepted were rampant in the White Tower, and Camigwen did not teach as much as she would have liked to. But still, perhaps this one could have a private lesson today.

“And who might you be, child?” She asked with soft voice.

”Enter” called a melodious voice from within the chamber.

Amadine pushed open the ornate door and lifted the tray from its resting place on the table by the door. She stepped through and replaced the tray on a matching table, just inside the suite of rooms and gently closed the door so as not to make any noise to disturb the Yellow Sitter. She lifted the posy of rainbow-coloured flowers from the tray and walked to the middle of the room. Camigwen Sedai appeared to be concentrating on a parchment in front of her; Amadine could only see her long hair streaming down her back.

Amadine dropped into a deep curtsey, her eyes downcast, and said “Camigwen Sedai.”

Ama heard Camigwen Sedai rise from her chair and when she spoke her voices rang like chimes, “Good morning child” Amadine rose from her curtsey as the Aes Sedai said “And who might you be child?”

Amadine looked up at the Aes Sedai and froze with the beginnings of a smile on her face. A wave of emotions crashed over her. It was her! She sifted through the memories of the day she had met that nameless Aes Sedai in Caemlyn. The long hair, the shape of her face, the sound of her voice; it had to be her. She was utterly astounded. How many years since she came to the Tower had she spent intently looking into the face of every Yellow Sister she came across trying to find that nameless inspiration for her own journey to become Aes Sedai.

“I-I-I do be A-a-amadine al’Varine, C-c-c-camigwen Sedai, from C-c-caemlyn.”

Did she recognise Amadine? Did she remember saving the life of Amadine’s mistress, her mother’s best friend? Did she recall the volunteering to come to the aid of a woman she did not know?  Camigwen Sedai was looking at her strangely, was it a look of recognition or just a reaction to the fact that Amadine was stuttering like an idiot?

(OCC the part where Ama meets the nameless AS is in her bio: http://forums.dragonmount.com/index.php/topic,54338.0.html)

Camigwen eyed the Accepted before her coolly. Something had made her nervous for some reason and Camigwen was not interested enough to find out why. Her head was started to get slightly fuzzy again and it was not improving her mood. Not for the first time, she wished Healing could work on the Healer as well. But perhaps it would not matter. The Accepted’s accent sounded familiar. Caemlyn. Interesting.

“Nice to meet you, Amadine. Now please be seated.” She watched as the girl sat down. Something about her face seemed a bit familiar for some reason. Camigwen pursed her lips. “Have I met you somewhere before, child?” She did not give the girl a chance to speak. “Possibly we could discuss that in a bit. Right now, I am parched and I wish for some breakfast. Please replace the flowers in the vase with those lovely ones you brought. And then go down to the Kitchen and ask for the Cook. She mentioned only this morning that the groom had brought in some Sweetfish and that she had saved some for me. I think that would be just lovely for breakfast. And get some for yourself. We will eat before we begin.” She watched as Amadine got up to replace the flowers. “Keep them. They are less than a day old, and with the Keeping weave I will teach you in a bit, you will be able to have them in your room for at least a few weeks, till you tire of them.” Camigwen smiled. “I do love to see the Accepted rooms filled with flowers. I would like to think it helps in their mental health.”

Camigwen gestured a dismissal and went back to marking as the Accepted left.

“Have I met you somewhere before, child?” Camigwen Sedai's face was thoughtful before she continued, “Possibly we could discuss that in a bit. Right now, I am parched and I wish for some breakfast. Please replace the flowers in the vase with those lovely ones you brought. And then go down to the Kitchen and ask for the Cook. She mentioned only this morning that the groom had brought in some Sweetfish and that she had saved some for me. I think that would be just lovely for breakfast. And get some for yourself. We will eat before we begin.”

Amadine rose to replace the flowers, as she did Camigwen Sedai told her keep the flowers she removed for herself, and she would teach her the Keeping weave later in the day. Amadine grinned to herself; there would be lessons in this today! Not a complete loss then and Camigwen Sedai had recognised her after a fashion. Amadine meant to tell her of the joy she had bought to Patira’s life with her Healing, if the chance arose.

The Aes Sedai had turned back to the papers on the desk. Clearly she had been dismissed to fetch breakfast for Camigwen Sedai. Looking at the teapot she had bought with her she went to it and poured a cup of tea and added just a touch of honey to the already sweet berry tea. She approached the desk the Aes Sedai was seated at and placed it out of the way of her papers and murmured, “I poured you a cup of tea, and I shall fetch breakfast now.”

“Thank you child” the Aes Sedai replied without looking up.

Amadine quietly closed the door behind her, not latching it though, she knew she would be back with her hands full, and quickly made her way out of the Yellow Halls and back down to the Dining Hall. She made her way through the crowded room to the kitchen door and asked one of the serving lasses to take her to see the Cook.  The lithe girl could have been no more than thirteen, yet she raised an eyebrow at Amadine before leading her through the kitchens to where the Cook was.

The Cook glared at her, and looked her over from top to bottom. “Aye so you’re the lass they did catch with that young solider are ye lass? Aye well I’ll be putting ya to so much work ya’ll not be thinking about no young men for a long while, yes?”

Amadine gave herself a shake, “Ah, um, no Mistress. I am here for Camigwen Sedai; she sent me to fetch her Sweetfish for breakfast; and said to speak directly to you about it.”

The Cook gave a loud laugh and patted Amadine on the shoulder, “Oh aye, I did tell Camigwen that there do be Sweetfish today, sorry about the other, lass. Just wait here a moment while I fetch out breakfast for Camigwen. Enough for two I suppose? She is so indulgent with you lasses.” She gave Ama a broad smile and Amadine returned it and nodded her head.

She turned and bustled about the kitchens preparing the two plates of food. She placed the plates on a large tray and covered them over. As she was finishing the tray of one of the kitchen lasses was pulling a large tray of honeycakes out of one of the large ovens. Amadine’s mouth watered at the heady sweet smell of fresh honeycakes. She lifted her hand to wipe her mouth and the Cook saw and laughed, “I’ll put some in a basket for you shall I lass?”

The Cook did so adding the small basket to the tray. She pushed it across the counter to Amadine, “There you go lass, give Camigwen my regards now, when you do be getting back to her.”

“Thank you Mistress, I will indeed.” Amadine picked up the tray and made her way back out to the Dining Hall and had to weave her way through a bustling crowd of Novices and Accepted waiting to fill their plates for breakfast. Once she was beyond the Hall into the quiet corridor she made her way back to the Yellow Halls and Camigwen Sedai’s Study.  Reaching the large heavy door she turned her back to it and pushed it open with her behind, then once through the door she used her foot to gently push it closed.

“I am back Camigwen Sedai, the Cook said to give you her fondest regards.” Amadine said as she made her way to the small dining table. She laid out the cutlery and placed the Aes Sedai’s plate out on the table, and then she saw to her own across the table. When she was done Amadine stood by the table and said “Your meal is ready Aes Sedai.”

Camigwen loved sweetfish. It reminded her of a time long past, when her father would come home from his wine merchant trips with a few sweetfish packed in ice. And her mother would dry the left over pieces with salt and pickles into a sweetish, salty treat for special occasions. She had half a mind to teach the Cook the method of doing it, since Tar Valon had no problems getting sweetfish. But it might no longer be that much of a treat if she did.

Camigwen gestured for the Accepted to sit down as she did. She could tell the Accepted was hungry. A morning of lessons probably didn’t help much. But at least the meal before them was pretty adequate. Sipping spiced wine, Camigwen regarded Amadine over the top of her glass. The girl’s dark blue eyes were beautiful. Camigwen herself was known for her beauty, and time had taken little away. She still turned heads when she rode around in town, but her ageless face turned many potential suitors away.

“Tell me, child, how have you found your time in the White Tower so far? And what do you hope to achieve as you go along?” Spearing a piece of sweetfish, Camigwen smiled and slipped it into her mouth. Perhaps she would get Cook to try out her mother's recipe.

Amadine sat when the Aes Sedai indicated that she could. She took a small forkful of the sweetfish to her mouth and chewed, it was bitter and tasteless on her tongue. Amadine wanted to grimace but she managed to keep her face smooth. She was getter much better at not allowing her emotions to show on her face. Sometimes she still slipped, as she had when she first entered Camigwen Sedai’s rooms, but most of the time she could control her face despite any emotion she may have felt.

Camigwen Sedai lifted a glass of spiced wine and took a small sip, Amadine realised that the Aes Sedai was calmly watching her, it felt almost... calculating. “Tell me, child, how have you found your time in the White Tower so far? And what do you hope to achieve as you go along?”

Amadine flashed a broad smile at Camigwen Sedai and said “I have enjoyed my time here so far, Aes Sedai. I have learned much and continue to. As for what I hope to achieve I hope that someday I may be accounted as great a Healer as you are Camigwen Sedai.”

“You inspired me to become Aes Sedai yourself.” Camigwen Sedai’s eyes narrowed as Amadine spoke the last and Amadine hurriedly continued, “My mistress in Caemlyn was ill and when I ran for the Healer to bring her herbs you were there. You came and Healed Mistress Patira and said she surely would have died without you. That was the beginning of my desire to Heal. Then a while later Mistress Patira got with child. A miracle the Healer did say, Mistress Patira had been barren for 20 years Camigwen Sedai. Twenty years! Yet your Healing not only saved her life but gave her a child. She did tell me before I left to come to the Tower that if I ever found you I must tell you of her baby. After that I spent some months convincing my parents to allow me to come to the White Tower and be tested. Since the day I met you Camigwen Sedai, I have wanted nothing more than to Heal.”

Amadine paused, and tried to calm herself. It felt amazing to finally know her inspiration’s name; Ama felt a little giddy and tried to casually sip her spiced wine while calming herself. She took a bite of one of the honeycakes, it was still warm. Light but they were good! Swallowing she continued, “Katha Sedai says if I study hard and practice I will be a strong Healer. She has given me some beginning lessons and answered many questions for me.”

Amadine fell quiet and watching Camigwen Sedai watching her. She took another bite of her honeycake and waited for the Aes Sedai to respond.

“Katha Sedai says if I study hard and practice I will be a strong Healer. She has given me some beginning lessons and answered many questions for me.” Amadine looked nervous as she spoke.

Camigwen regarded the girl cooly. So, she had been the girl at Azria's. All grown up and here in the White Tower. The Wheel weaves as the Wheel wills. Coincidences were common enough. But this was truly magnificent. Azria had been, and still was, one of her Eyes and Ears, although she had always assume Camigwen was just a Noble. That fateful day had changed that. Without Camigwen's Healing the other woman would surely had died, and that split second decision had forced Camigwen's hands. Literally. Still, knowing Camigwen's identity had only strengthened the relationship between the Aes Sedai and the village Healer. She would write to Azria about this, perhaps seek to know more about this Accepted named Amadine.

Camigwen let herself feel a bit of the girl's strength in the Power. Not the strongest of channelers, but perhaps talented enough to make a difference. Camigwen herself was not strong. Stronger than many of the other Aes Sedai, certainly, but not counted amongst the strongest. Odd how strength became a measure of authority. Still, being a Sitter meant she could do away with that foolishness. Besides, the twisted, yellow bracelet of leaves around her left wrist would surprise any that thought her weak..

“I remember a little girl, alot younger. Face full of freckles and a smile that could light a room.” Camigwen's voice was warm. "She seemed a little shy, but her worry for her mistress made that little of matter. And now the girl has grown up into a young woman, and is seated before me. Light only knows what the world holds in store for you.” Camigwen took in a deep breath and leaned back onto her chair. “You were surprised I was Aes Sedai before, but now you sit here surrounded by Aes Sedai aplenty.” Amadine nodded mutely. “This is good. Your interest lies in Healing then? Very well. I think Katha Sedai probably has it right about you being a strong Healer. Your compassion does you favour. That, is always to me, the most important core of a Healer. To feel for her fellow humans and to take responsibility for their welfare.”

Camigwen lifted her glass and channeled. A ball of wine rose into their air and hovered there. “Humans are like this ball of wine. We grow more exciting as we age. But we also run into the danger of spoiling. And very so often, the only way to tell what is wrong with someone is to appreciate the depth of their being. That is how Delving works and why Healing takes strength from both the Healer and the patient. We cannot divorce ourselves from the patient. Which is what so many other Ajahs do when they Heal. It is not wrong, but merely not what Healing is about. You have a weave with the One Power, but Healing does not end there.” Her face glowed with a Healer’s pride. “Many who take lessons on Healing will not understand this. But I suspect you do.” She let the ball of wine drop back into her cup. “I do not know if you will eventually choose the Yellows, but if you plan to be a Healer in whichever Ajah you ultimately decide on, realize this: We have a duty. Those who are weak, those who are hurt, those who are close to giving up; they look to us to be their strength, their pillar of support. They are patients, yes, but first and foremost they are our responsibility. Our relationship with them does not end at the point of being Healed. Which is why the weave leaves a residue. And you will always feel a sort of kinship with those you have Healed. A far weaker link than a Bond,  but just as important. I suspect all Healers, One Power or not, have it.”

Camigwen nodded to Amadine. “Since I am here, and lunch is almost ended, ask me any questions you have. Perhaps I can still teach you a few things as we go along, but at this point, you might as well let me know what you still have doubts about.”

• 2 weeks later...

Amadine sat spellbound by Camigwen’s description of Healing, she realised she was nodding her head in agreement. Since discovering her desire to Heal Ama had always felt that there was more importance on the Healer/patient bond than what was commonly known. To have this belief affirmed by Camigwen Sedai herself was very satisfying.

“Since I am here, and lunch is almost ended, ask me any questions you have. Perhaps I can still teach you a few things as we go along, but at this point, you might as well let me know what you still have doubts about.”

Amadine gave the Yellow Sister seated before her a thoughtful look. She was thinking about the few lessons that Catha Sedai had given her, mostly in the uses of herbs, truth be told, and a little on the theory of Healing.

“Catha Sedai has taught me the uses of herbs in Healing, and a part of me understands the need for herbs, but is Healing with Saidar not the preferable method? I have not done any Healing with Saidar yet myself but Catha Sedai did demonstrate some simple weaves during her lectures. She told me she was leaving the Tower soon and would not be able to continue my lessons. She said I would need to find another Sister to continue my lessons on Healing.” Amadine tried not to appear too disappointed; it would not do for her to question the activities of a Sister just because it would interrupt her lessons.

Camigwen was regarding her with that Aes Sedai cool gaze, which made it impossible to know whether she approved or disapproved of Amadine’s words. Amadine decided that this was her chance, maybe her only chance, she threw caution to the wind and continued, “Camigwen Sedai, truly all I want to do is become Aes Sedai and to Heal. I want to change people’s lives for the better; I want to save families the heartache of loss where I can. If I have even some small ability with Healing I can use that to make a difference in the world. Will you show me how to delve and teach me to Heal Camigwen Sedai? Please?”

Camigwen arched a brow at the request. This was a brave one.

"Child, I would gladly teach a hundred classes on Healing. But I am going to set you a penance for asking it at such an inappropriate time. I have made it clear that those who attend to me must expect to only be seen and not taught." Camigwen tapped her nose thoughtfully. "For the next few months, you will report to the Master of the Training Yards every other day. And you will work on Healing the trainees who have been injured during training. And on a weekly basis, I expect a report on the patients you have had and what you have done with them and a progress report of each of your patients. And there will be details on the injuries and how you Healed them."

Camigwen pulled away her chair and stood up. She gestured for Amadine to stay seated as the girl moved to stand as well. From the shelf at the far corner of her room, Camigwen picked up a brown leather box which rustled slightly. “This is my bag of herbs. I have instituted that every single Yellow sister has one of these. Herbal knowledge is a huge part of being Yellow. And rightly so. Saidar has its advantages of course, and more often than not it can be miraculous in its wake. But miracles come in many forms, and this bag,” She set the bag down and opened it. “is filled with a different sort of miracle.”

From the bag, she pulled out other bags and a few bottles filled with liquids of different colours. “Imagine yourself having to midwife a pregnant woman, and she has troubles. Yes, you sometimes have to when there’s no one else around to do it. Now Saidar can obviously ease her pain, but unless you are very skilled, you run the risk of hurting the baby. What do you do?” Camigwen took three pouches out of one of the silken bags. “This is tender root and young yarrow with pounded dried offerberry grass and sea salt. I packed them myself. Steeped in hot water for five minutes, the resulting tea helps ease any birth and relax the mind and heart of the delivering mother.” She pointed at a bottle of dark liquid. “This is dried tangerine and tassleroot tea extract. It helps new mothers recover from delivery. That’s the great thing about herbs. They not only work on new injuries, they are also great for keeping people healthy, or building their strength and immunity or just general welfare. I find its often more well accepted if you prescribe herbs as opposed to Healing with Saidar. In many villages, the One Power isn’t well known enough, and to have wounds be healed right before the eyes of the injured… well, the whole point is, it’s not always a good time to use Saidar.” She nodded to Amadine. “I want you to tell me three other situations where the One Power would not be welcome. And then I will decide if you are worth my time as a private pupil.”

Camigwen sat down and waited.

((OOC: I hope that’s ok. You’ve got your Warder Training Healing thingy now. I bet ya just wanna oogle at the hot trainees doods and their shirtless sweatiness. But that’s alright. You’ve been harassed by Regalia enough. Hurhurhur.))

• 3 weeks later...

Amadine inwardly cringed, keeping her face smooth, while berating herself for having been so forward as to ask Camigwen Sedai to teach her when she was only here to act as a runner. However, the punishment the Yellow Sister had set was a blessing in itself, to attend the Training Yards and Heal the trainees of any scrapes they got, Ama found that she was actually looking forward to that.

As Camigwen Sedai rose from the table Amadine began to stand, but the Yellow waved her to remain sitting. Camigwen Sedai went to a large cupboard and bought out a battered leather script. She spoke as she crossed the room back to where Ama still sat at the table, This is my bag of herbs. I have instituted that every single Yellow sister has one of these. Herbal knowledge is a huge part of being Yellow. And rightly so; Saidar has its advantages of course, and more often than not it can be miraculous in its wake. But miracles come in many forms, and this bag, She set the bag down and opened it. is filled with a different sort of miracle.

Amadine sat spellbound as the Yellow Sister bought different herbs and powders and tinctures out of the bag and explain the use of each one to her. She spoke of herbs for use in childbirth, to ease the birthing pains. She explained why Aes Sedai might use herbs rather than the One Power. As she spoke in that melodious voice Amadine felt like the words were being impressed upon her soul. It did make sense when it was explained properly. Amadine found herself nodding in response to Camigwen Sedais words.

...well, the whole point is, its not always a good time to use Saidar. She nodded to Amadine. I want you to tell me three other situations where the One Power would not be welcome. And then I will decide if you are worth my time as a private pupil.

Amadine frowned as she thought about the question. She could not mess this up. This could be her only chance. Thinking long and hard Ama finally looked up to Camigwen Sedai and trying to muster some confidence in her voice, she spoke; First Camigwen Sedai, I think, that if a person were too badly injured, the shock of Healing could kill them, so herbs could be used to improve their condition before Healing.

Second, if an Aes Sedai is in a land where channelling is outlawed Amadine still could not quite believe that there were in fact lands that upheld that law, then she would not want to risk herself or her companions by channelling.

Ama sat for a bit thinking of a third situation where a Sister might not want to channel, suddenly she realised that she was looking at this all wrong, a warm glow of success flowed through her and she looked up at Camigwen Sedai and spoke, An Aes Sedai may not Heal herself Camigwen Sedai, if she takes ill when there is not another sister present she may need the herbs to make herself well again.

Camigwen regarded the girl before her. She was right, this girl had definitely got a life forward amongst the Yellows. Not many people understood the Yellows, being that Ajah whose primary function was to Heal. It was odd that a full Ajah was devoted to this, when members of other Ajahs were sometimes equal or better than some Yellow sisters at Healing.

Very often people fail to see Healing as anything beyond the weave. And thats why they will never choose the Yellow Ajah. If you have met Barajin Sedai of the Blues? Amadine shook her head mutely. Camigwen smiled. Barajin Nimarla was one of the strongest in the Blues with an amazing Talent at Healing. Camigwen had high hopes when Barajin had been an Accepted, but when the girl chose the Blues, Camigwen did not feel a hint of disappointment. Barajin Sedai teaches Healing on occasion, and her classes are immensely popular. However what she teaches focuses on the weave. The ability of the One Power to knit flesh and undo injuries, is nothing short of miraculous. But as you have mentioned, there are often times when the One Power will not do. Besides those situations you mentioned, there are also other grievances to the body that Saidar cannot undo. Mental and emotional hurts are part of those. Poisons are another. Sometimes there are congenital defects, little things that are so deeply instilled in the body that the Power will not undo. We cannot undo what the Creator intended after all.

Camigwen picked up a book from a shelf behind her. The cursive written on its cover declared it to be A Gift of Poisons and Cures by Charsulain Mingal. Most people knew her as the Herbalist. And she was a great Healer in Tar Valon an Age ago. Camigwen added, And she never channeled. Not one trickle. But a gifted worker with herbs and potions. She passed the book to Amadine. As homework, I want you to read this. Next week, I want you to see Garuna Sedai and get her to show you the Yellows herb garden. You will use this book to identify and learn about the herbs. There may be a test. But for now Camigwen stood and gestured for Amadine to follow her.

They took a dark corridor through the White Tower and a stairway down. It was the path that many Yellow aspirants were familiar with, it was path towards

The Infirmary? Amadine whispered.

Camigwen shook her head silently and gestured for Amadine to stay silent as well.

They walked on and pass the Infirmary door.

Where?

But Camigwen hushed the Accepted. They rounded a bend in the corridor into another brightly lit corridor where an age darkened door marked the end of their path. To the Aes Sedai and her Ward it appeared normal, until they were closer. The door glowed.

Saidar. A Ward. Amadine whispered softly, in amazement.

This is the Infirmary that none other than Yellow sisters are allowed. And you are one of the few Accepted even permitted in this corridor. You are not to come here without my expressed permission and definitely not when unaccompanied by another Yellow sister. You are also not allowed to discuss this with any of the other Accepted and definitely not with any Novices. You may however request admission whenever you wish. But stay steadfast, this place is not for the weak minded. Camigwen embraced Saidar and began to weave a complex weave that resulted in nothing more than a soft chiming sound that seemed to emanate from behind the Warded door.

Time seemed to pass forever as the Wards began to dissipate and the door was opened by a blonde haired Aes Sedai, ageless faced and serene. She raised a brow at Amadine but bowed her head when she saw Camigwen.

Amadine, this is Septiana Sedai, Mistress of the Infirmary of the Mind. Septiana, this is Amadine, a Yellow Aspirant and our guest for today. Septiana nodded thoughtfully and opened the door admitting both of them.

Inside, the Infirmary was brightly lit from full paned windows. The air was fresh and everywhere hung brightly covered tapestries. Plants in bright green planters dotted the spacious room, blooming with fragrant flowers. Camigwen smiled. It was a place of delight. Two other Aes Sedai got up from their seats and walked towards Camigwen and Amadine.

Vianne Sedai. Tamistra Sedai. Camigwen nodded in acknowledgement. This is Amadine. A Yellow aspirant. Amadine. Amadine curtseyed as Camigwen did the introductions. This is the Infirmary of the Mind. Indeed, there were several people seated and standing around the spacious room. Some seemed to be having conversations with the thin air. One of them stared deeply into a handheld mirror and was preening her bald head. It was slightly disconcerting.

You are not to channel here. Ever. No Saidar is allowed in here. And the Warders, Camigwen gestured to three men lounging with the grace of a leopard at the edge of the room. are here purely for safety. Here you will have your first lesson in Healing by me. Camigwen gestured at the two other Aes Sedai. Rhianne walked forward and led a gentle looking man with a twitchy neck forward. This is Parasim. I want you to examine him and tell me what you think is keeping this man from normal society.

• 3 weeks later...

Amadine listened intently to Camigwen Sedai’s explanation on the Yellow Ajah’s theory of Healing; that to be a Healer who excelled, she would need to know, and understand, all of the available facets of Healing.

Camigwen Sedai handed Amadine a book, it’s title declared the book to be, A Gift of Poisons and Cures by Charsulain Mingal. The lettering on the cover was a neat round cursive, embossed into the blue leather. Amadine ran her hand over the soft leather binding, and as she did Camigwen spoke again, “As homework, I want you to read this. Next week, I want you to see Garuna Sedai and get her to show you the Yellow’s herb garden. You will use this book to identify and learn about the herbs. There may be a test.”

Before Amadine could speak Camigwen Sedai stood and motioned for Amadine to follow her. Ama tucked the book behind her belt and followed the Aes Sedai out of her suite of rooms. Amadine followed Camigwen through dark corridors and down stairs, Ama had been here before, this route led to the infirmary. Amadine opened her mouth to ask if that was where they were going but Camigwen motioned her to silence and continued on past the Infirmary door.

Confused Amadine started to whisper again, the Yellow Sister gave her an exasperated look and just silently motioned for her to stay quiet and keep following again. They rounded the bend into a brightly lit corridor and approached an aged wooden door at the end of that hall. As they approached the door it seemed to glow; “Saidar. A Ward.” She whispered, she had been taught minor wards already, but this was far more complex than any she had ever seen before.

“This is the Infirmary that none other than Yellow sisters are allowed. And you are one of the few Accepted even permitted in this corridor. You are not to come here without my expressed permission and definitely not when unaccompanied by another Yellow sister. You are also not allowed to discuss this with any of the other Accepted and definitely not with any Novices. You may however request admission whenever you wish. But stay steadfast, this place is not for the weak minded.”As Ama watched Camigwen Sedai embraced Saidar and began to weave a complex weave that resulted in nothing more than a soft chiming sound that seemed to emanate from behind the Warded door.

A few minutes later the wards seemed to shimmer and gradually dissipate. Once they had dissolved completely the door began to open from the inside. As the door swung inwards it revealed a blonde Aes Sedai, she gave Amadine a quizzical look but bowed her head to Camigwen Sedai. That simple bow of the head pricked Amadine’s interest, she was sure that the blonde Aes Sedai was stronger in the One Power than Camigwen Sedai, not by much to be sure, but stronger.

Camigwen Sedai made introductions and showed Amadine around the rooms, The Infirmary of the Mind the Yellow Sister had called it. There were two more Aes Sedai present and their three Warders who were lounging comfortably in chairs along one wall. Despite them appearing to take their ease they still looked like leopards ready to pounce at any moment. Amadine had a fleeting memory of her trip through the arches again and winced.

“ You are not to channel here. Ever. No Saidar is allowed in here. And the Warders are here purely for safety. Here you will have your first lesson in Healing by me.”

Amadine looked around the room; there were quite a few people other than the Sedai and the Warders there. A youngish looking man stood in a corner having an animated conversation with thin air, a woman with a completely bald head held a mirror in her hand; she gazed at her reflection and ran her hand over her head, captivated by her own reflection. Movement behind her caught her attention and Amadine turned to see the other two Aes Sedai moving forward on either side of a gentle looking man whose head seemed to twitch.

Camigwen Sedai looked to Amadine and spoke, “ This is Parasim. I want you to examine him and tell me what you think is keeping this man from normal society.”

Ama nodded and stepped forward, she smiled at the man, his jaw was slightly slack and his eyes seemed to focus on something just behind her. She glanced back – but there was nothing there. “Good afternoon Parasim,” she began and he focussed his attention on her for a fleeting moment before his gaze returned to that nothingness behind her shoulder, he started muttering – as if in response to an unspoken question. Every few seconds he would pause as if listening to an answer and then respond in that low muttering Amadine could not quite make out, “My name is Amadine, and how are you feeling today?”

Parasim’s muttering stopped abruptly and his eyes snapped back to hers, “I say, what? I mean, we are well, and you? What was your name again? We’ve not seen you here before.”

“My name is Amadine,” she smiled, “And I am well thank you. This is my first visit here.” His use of the word ‘we’ had pricked in her ears. He diverted his attention again and resumed his muttering, “She’s just a girl, just a girl, an Accepted by her dress... No she’s not going to hurt us... No, she’s not, the Aes Sedai would never let anyone hurt us... you are always so suspicious of new people... yes, yes being an Accepted means she can channel... no, I don’t think she can help us... we’re staying here...”

The muttering continued while Amadine observed him. His skin was pallid, like he had not seen the sun in a long time. His eyes were appeared to be the only bright alive part of him, though the whites were slightly yellowed. He was painfully thin, all wasted muscle and sinew. Camigwen Sedai slightly touched her hand and drew her away, speaking in hushed tones the Aes Sedai asked Amadine’s thoughts.

“Well,” she began, “He appears to have some kind of multiple personality mental illness, and his health is deteriorating. He has little to no body fat and the whites of his eyes are beginning to jaundice.”

“Go on,” The Yellow Sister encouraged.

“Well, Camigwen Sedai, he appears to have a mental illness combined with a wasting disease, along with the fact that he is contained with the Infirmary of the Mind, guarded by Aes Sedai and Warders, I would think that perhaps he was a channeller? And has been gentled? The descriptions I have read seem to fit in this case.” Amadine finished nervously, and waited for the Yellow Sister before her to speak.

"Very good." Camigwen smiled warmly. "That is exactly right."

She led the way to a table on the far end of the room and seated both of them down.

"This was not supposed to be a lesson in any way. But I supposed it's fine that it turned out to be one. There are still many chores for today to be done, but the teaching part is over. Come to my office every third day of the month and we will have a lesson, you and I. In the meantime, you may spend the rest of the day here. If you have questions or concerns, you may approach Septiana Sedai. Otherwise, come back to my office this evening during dinner and we will speak."

With that Camigwen got up and left.

((OOC: You can finish up this class by exploring the Infirmary, and then come have dinner with me. I think you can consider this class fulfilled? I really hope we can get Raised soon. *loves*))

Amadine heaved a sigh of relief, she had been correct and Camigwen Sedai had accepted her as a student! As she realised what she was thinking her heart leapt, a student! Of a Yellow Sister. Amdine could bearly contain her grin as she watched Camigwen Sedai leave the infirmary. Amadine smoothed her featurs and glanced around the room, as she turned towards Septiania Sedai the Yellow Sister smiled at her and said "Come Amadine, i shall give you a tour."

The Yellow Sister showed Amadine around the small suite of rooms that made up the infirmary. There was a small kitchenette, "So we may fix snacks between mealtimes for our patients if they require it," the Yellow Sister told her.

Next was the Herb Room, this door was warded with Saidar, similar to the ward Ama had seen at the main door to the Infirmary. "We must keep this room warded at all times. Some of the herbs contained in this room can be lethal in large doses and we would not want any of our patients to accidentally harm themselves."

As the tour continued Parasim shuffled around behind them, muttering to himself all the while. The Warders kept a close eye on him anytime he came close to either the Yellow Sister or Amadine herself, however he kept his own distance and his muttering continued.

Septiana Sedai answered Amadine's questions and gave her helpful hints on how to remember the uses for different herbs, and also how to perserve them for future use. Some time later Ama glanced out the window and was shocked to realise night was beginning to fall. "Thank you Septiania Sedai" she said, "but i must go now, Camigwen Sedai will need me to bring her dinner."

Septiania Sedai nodded and smiled "Of course Amadine, you mustn't keep her waiting. I will look forward to seeing you again soon." With that she removed the ward from the main door and let Amadine back out into the corridor.

"Thank you again Septiania Sedai" Amadine replied with a deep curtsey. As the door closed she picked up her pace towards the kitchens to fetch a meal for Camigwen Sedai and herself.

Amadine al'Varine

Accepted

Camigwen released Saidar and stepped back with a smile of satisfaction. The last of her daily duties was done and while her mind was slightly exhausted, her body was relatively still feeling the effects of the afternoon sweet tea. The shelf before her pulsed with Saidar, which would fade in the next few minutes. The Ward was not a powerful one, but sometimes the weak ones were the best. Camigwen looked at the sundial that perched on her balcony and raised her brow at the time. She had not realised how late it was. She wondered where the young Accepted was, when a knocking came at the door.

"Come in." Camigwen sat at her desk as the door opened. Already the aromas of food were noticeable.

"Camigwen Sedai." Amadine entered and set the tray with the food for two of them on the table.

"Thank you Amadine." Camigwen sat down in front of the Accepted. She noted the cook had gotten some Saldean trout with capers and sweet flowers. A bowl of bread drowned in what smelt like Andoran rum with melted cheese on top, looked like the right sort of dessert for the end of the day. And she noticed that the side salad had what looked like strips of fried pig's ears. It was good indeed. "Let us have this meal then." She gestured for Amadine to start as she picked up her cutlery. "If you have any questions for the day, this is the time to ask now, otherwise you may take the rest of the day off once dinner is over."

Nodding to herself, Camigwen began to eat.