DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Batman 3

Krakalakachkn

Yesterday Hollywood Life reported that what started as a comment on the "Inception" set looks like it might be gaining traction.

Their source claims that Joseph Gordon-Levitt, who stars in this Summer's mind-bending thriller from Chris Nolan, is apparently "on the short list" for The Riddler in Nolan's next "Batman" film.

"Chris really dug Joseph [as an actor]. There was a joke at first between them [on the set of Inception] that Joseph wanted to read for Batman 3 and things heated up as filming continued. It’s not 100% confirmed that he’s getting [the role of The Riddler] but there’s certainly talk about it. Joseph is definitely on the short list."

However, a representative for Gordon-Levitt has already denied the rumor according to The Wrap. The other issue is that the script for the film is still very much in the works and it's not confirmed if The Riddler will be the next film's main antagonist.

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

HELL YES!

----------------------------------

We're not officially kicking off Comic-Con until tomorrow, but today we have a huge bit of news regarding a comic book flick that likely doesn't even have a presence at this year's convention. We've gotten word from a reliable inside source with a studio casting grid that The Riddler is listed as a character for Chris Nolan's highly anticipated to the sequel to The Dark Knight, which is still called Batman 3 at Warner Bros. Even more interesting, the actor currently listed in the same grid to play the assumed villain is none other than Joseph Gordon-Levitt, whose status is just listed as "interested." Let's all say it together now: Hell. Yes!

We'd like to point out that this news should be considered confirmation that The Riddler is the villain in Batman 3 and less confirmation of the recent suggestions/rumors regarding Gordon-Levitt's casting as the enigmatic villain. A casting grid is used in the industry to keep production companies, agencies, etc. in the loop on a project's progress and the roles available for actors to potentially take. These documents are used for business planning in the industry and by no means would use internet speculation to list a character that may not even appear in the film. But when it comes to listing actors, this is info that can change at anytime, and just because an actor or studio is interested in one or the other, does not mean it will actually happen.

We're also cautious because the age range listed for the character is 35 to 45, and with Gordon-Levitt being 29 years old falls a little short of the mark. Of course, this wouldn't really be a reason for him to be excluded as characters can be modified in the script to accommodate a favored actor. On the lighter side though, the actor is fresh off working with Nolan on the brilliant Inception, so they've surely developed quite a working relationship as Gordon-Levitt called him "the genuine article… a real artist" and "a unique voice." For now we'll consider Gordon-Levitt's involvement a rumor, but seeing The Riddler in a studio casting grid is solid confirmation of Nolan's villain for Batman 3. Hopefully we'll get an official confirmation sooner than later.

I completely agree.  Batman Begins was better than the Dark Knight, in my opinion.  Maggie Gyllenhaal is a better actress than Katie Holmes, but Katie Holmes is much hotter and did a good job in BB.  At least we won't have to deal with Rachel in the 3rd one.

• 2 months later...

Though it has been generally assumed that Christopher Nolan would be returning to helm a third "Batman" feature, no official announcements have been made as such.

Nolan has reassured everyone though he's onboard as Empire recently asked if we could safely assume he would direct. He responded “I think you can at this point, yes... "It’s becoming inevitable, I’ll put it that way…I feel myself falling into it, I guess. And getting it all figured out and I’m pretty excited about what we’re doing so… If I haven’t announced it, I think that people probably all know at this point that I’m doing it."

Meanwhile Michael Caine revealed on BBC Radio this week that shooting on the project will probably kick off around May. Asked about the villain, Caine said no-one apart from Chris Nolan and his brother Jonah know which of Batman's Rogues Gallery will serve as the chief antagonist in the next outing.

• 3 weeks later...

We have a title and villain news!

Talking with The Los Angeles Times, filmmaker Christopher Nolan has confirmed that his third Batman film will be called “The Dark Knight Rises”.

While he won't reveal the villain of the film, the helmer can confirm that "it won’t be the Riddler." He also says the studio has agreed that the film should "resist the current 3-D craze" and instead use "high-definition approaches and IMAX cameras".

In terms of other characters, Nolan says "We’ll use many of the same characters as we have all along, and we’ll be introducing some new ones." In other words, nothing unexpected.

A rumour at Moviehole emerged earlier today that Nolan had reportedly been meeting with actresses all week to find the female lead. The interview makes no mention of it however.

YES! No Batman 3D!

Nolan said his choice of Raz-aghol and Scarecrow for Batman Begins was because he wanted to approach villains that hadn't really been seen before

While Raz-aghol could be used again (as he suffers from "you didn't see the body"), Scarecrow was shown to be mostly a petty villain at this point.

The Joker was only 'locked away' but i don't know whether Nolan would want anyone but Ledger doing Joker; and two-face is "dead" (I'm pretty sure he's actually dead- it would have been a plot point worth mentioning if the city wasn't able to recover the character's body)

In my mind look to villains who haven't been done before- Villains who could be taken away from the supernatural theme

2 examples I'd like to see (though probably not in the same movie) are the Phantasm and Harley Quinn

Following on from yesterday's announcement of a Riddler-less third "Batman" feature entitled "The Dark Knight Rises", The Los Angeles Times spoke more with director Chris Nolan who went on to justify why he has chosen not to shoot the next film in 3D.

"We want the look and feel of the film to be faithful to what has come before in the films. There was a large canvas and operatic sweep to “The Dark Knight” and we want to make a film that will carry on with that look and feel" he says.

That doesn't mean he and cinematographer Wally Pfister will rest on their laurels, in fact expect more IMAX camera usage in the next one - "We’re looking to do something technologically that’s never been done before. Our ambitions are to make a great movie."

As he's previously stated, the big draw for him here is that this is not another 'entry', but the closing chapter of a trilogy - "our ambition for the third movie is to complete a story that has begun. This is not starting over, this is not rebooting. We’re finishing something, and keeping a consistency with what’s come before has real value."

At the same time the film's composer Hans Zimmer spoke with NBC San Diego and confirmed that he and Nolan will begin discussing ideas for the film next week, and his work on the film starts earlier than most - "I'll start long before he starts shooting."

Zimmer is also working on the Nolan-produced "Superman" reboot and says that he won't be reusing John Williams' legendary theme, but will try and do something as resonate and iconic with the music that also sounds familiar - much like the work he's done on the "Batman" films following on from the iconic Danny Elfman-theme used in "Batman" and "Batman Returns".

Yeah man, I was really hoping Joseph Gordon-Levitt would play the Riddler.

Here are some potentially awesome casting rumours!

Charlize Theron and Vera Farmiga are rumoured to be up for roles in "The Dark Knight Rises" reports Comic Book Movie.

The site's unnamed agency source claims Theron has been approached to portray Detective Sarah Essen, the new love interest for Jim Gordon (Gary Oldman). In the comics, Essen was partnered with Gordon and later had an affair with the married detective and is implied to be the real mother of Barbara Gordon (aka. Batgirl).

Actresses Vera Farmiga and Kacie Thomas have also apparently auditioned for the role of Julie Madison who will serve as Bruce Wayne's new love interest. In the comics, the character was a socialite who becomes engaged to Wayne but is unaware of his Batman identity and later becomes associated with the villain Clayface.

• 2 months later...

Here's the official news:

A press release from Warner Bros. Pictures has just confirmed the two key members of Batman's Rogues Gallery that will appear in the much-anticipated upcoming "The Dark Knight Rises" - Catwoman and Bane. Check it out below:

"Warner Bros. Pictures announced today that Anne Hathaway has been cast as Selina Kyle in Christopher Nolan’s “The Dark Knight Rises.” She will be starring alongside Christian Bale, who returns in the title role of Bruce Wayne/Batman. Christopher Nolan stated, “I am thrilled to have the opportunity to work with Anne Hathaway, who will be a fantastic addition to our ensemble as we complete our story.”

In addition, Tom Hardy has been set to play Bane. Nolan said, “I am delighted to be working with Tom again and excited to watch him bring to life our new interpretation of one of Batman’s most formidable enemies.”

Nolan will direct the film from a screenplay he wrote with Jonathan Nolan, from a story by Christopher Nolan and David S. Goyer. Nolan will also produce the film with his longtime producing partner, Emma Thomas, and Charles Roven. “The Dark Knight Rises” is slated for release on July 20, 2012. The film will be distributed worldwide by Warner Bros. Pictures, a Warner Bros. Entertainment Company."

cat.jpg

bane.jpg

A bit on the locale

Batman Begins" shot key scenes in Iceland (though set them in China), "The Dark Knight" was partly set and shot in Hong Kong, now Bucharest in Romania is looking to be a short but key locale in the upcoming "The Dark Knight Rises".

The Romania Business Insider (via Superhero Hype) reports that the film’s producers recently met with city officials to discuss filming around Bucharest’s historical center, Edgar Quintet Street or the Palace of Parliament.

Director Christopher Nolan also unofficially visited the Turda salt mines in Romania last month. Like the previous two films, a certain amount of shooting is expected to take place in the UK and Chicago though 'Rises' has setup production offices in Los Angeles where some shooting will take place. Detroit has also been reported as a filming location.

• 2 weeks later...

Brief Updates

Christopher Nolan appeared at the Santa Barbara International Film Festival and confirmed the status of "The Dark Knight Rises".

"We've worked on it a long time - David Goyer and myself. We're about 12 weeks away from shooting. We start in May" Nolan told a packed crowd. He added that the main draw of doing this third film was about "finishing the story."

The press release announcing Anne Hathaway's involvement in the film the other week called her role Selina Kyle only, no mention of Catwoman. Nolan didn't confirm whether we'll see Catwoman in the film, however cinematographer Wally Pfister confirmed to Bleeding Cool that Hathaway has done a full costume test.

"Yeah.. She's phenomenal. This is something she wanted and wanted to show Chris, 'I'm the one for this job' and she did an incredible job...and she looked phenomenal in the wardrobe [hint, hint]. It's going to be amazing with her."

Pushed however to explain if that costume test was for Catwoman rather Kyle, he said "I'll get fired and I won't even get to shoot the picture! … I can't really [say], but I definitely want to be around next year."

• 2 weeks later...

Marion Cotillard signs on.

French newspaper Le Figaro (via Batman News) reports that Marion Cotillard has signed on to join the cast of Christopher Nolan’s "The Dark Knight Rises".

The pregnant Cotillard is due to give birth in May and with filming on the project running for six months from May until November, there would be enough time for her to recover and appear, making this her first postnatal film role.

The paper adds “The actress, who is expecting a child in the spring with Guillaume Canet, will be scarce this year. She’ll do a single film and her choice fell on Batman 3.” Despite that quote, this report hasn't been confirmed by the studio.

If she is onboard, that marks at least the fourth star of Nolan's "Inception" to sign for a role (alongside Tom Hardy, Joseph Gordon Levitt and Michael Caine) in 'Rises', and the sixth overall (Ken Watanabe and Cillian Murphy) to be involved in Nolan's Batman saga.

Batman News also reports the film will shoot scenes at the New York Stock Exchange around October. There's indications that shooting will kick off in India.

• 3 weeks later...

Pretties!

"Batman Begins" gave us the Tumbler, "The Dark Knight" gave us the Batpod cycle. Now, "The Dark Knight Rises" looks likely to debut two new vehicles for the Caped Crusader.

A trusted source for Batman-On-Film says in this entry we'll finally get to see some flying with the Batwing jet. Said jet has been a part of the comics, all the previous films and the animated series.

Also, in the wake of the Tumbler’s destruction, they’re going to redesign the Batmobile. This new version is expected to be either "a variation on the Tumbler or something even studier, a full-on Bat-tank".

Oldman puts in his two cents

Gary Oldman is famously quite blunt and honest about his performances and projects, even when they haven't hit theaters yet.

That's why this quote he gave to Collider about the upcoming "The Dark Knight Rises" is not one to take lightly - "I have not read the script. But I have talked to Christopher Nolan about the story. It's fantastic. You can't top The Dark Knight, and I think he may have."

Oldman also says he was very pleased with his work in the upcoming "Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy" remake which screened footage at Berlin a few weeks ago and has already stirred potential award buzz for the actor.

Also, doesn't look like Neeson will return

With potential story spoilers leaking earlier this week indicating Talia Al Ghul would appear as a character in charge of the League of Shadows, that begged the question of whether Ra's Al Ghul, the League's former head and Talia's father, would be returning in some capacity.

Liam Neeson, who played Ra's Al Ghul in 2005's "Batman Begins", tells Empire (via Digital Spy) that he will not be appearing the upcoming "The Dark Knight Rises", not even in flashback form.

"That rumour is totally not true. In the comic books, Ra's Al Ghul goes into a life bath of some sort and immerses himself to become immortal. So that's probably where that comes from. But no-one's approached me with an offer. I'd like to if it happens" says Neeson about potentially reuniting with filmmaker Chris Nolan in this third entry in the series.

• 2 weeks later...

SCORE!!!!!!!!!

Well it's official, Joseph Gordon-Levitt ("Inception") is locked for a role in the upcoming "The Dark Knight Rises" for Warner Bros. Pictures reports Variety.

At the same time indie actress Juno Temple ("Kaboom") is being eyed for the small supporting role of a street-smart Gotham girl. Temple is reportedly close to signing.

Gordon-Levitt's role hasn't been disclosed and filmmaker Christopher Nolan plans to keep the actor's on-screen identity a secret for as long as possible. Could this be a 'twist' character along the Liam Neeson/Ken Watanabe as Ra's Al Ghul role in "Batman Begins"?

With the news on Friday that Joseph Gordon-Levitt is set to re-team with his "Inception" director Christopher Nolan on "The Dark Knight Rises," the question then became what character would he play.

Well that mystery seems to have been sold with Variety reporting that the actor is set to play Alberto Falcone, the son of former mob boss Carmine Falcone (Tom Wilkinson) from "Batman Begins".

In the comics, Alberto Falcone is also known as the serial killer 'Holiday' - a key character in "The Long Halloween" and "Dark Victory" comic storyline which were a big influence on Nolan's "Batman" films.

The move also brings the film trilogy full circle. Rumors of an element from 'Begins' coming back in to play here led to speculation that Marion Cotillard's role would be that of Talia al Ghul, the daughter of Ra's al Ghul (Liam Neeson). Instead, they've chosen the son of one of the other three villains from 'Begins'. Gordon-Levitt as Falcone first emerged as a possibility back in early February.

The inclusion of Bane, Catwoman and Alberto Falcone means it's unlikely we'll see any other characters from Batman's roster of bad guys make an appearance beyond possible cameos like Mr. Zsasz in 'Begins' and The Scarecrow in "The Dark Knight".

Even if you somehow got your hands on the super secret script for "The Dark Knight Rises", turns out you still wouldn't know the whole story to how the finale of Christopher Nolan's trilogy will come to a close.

Oldman talked with Absolute Radio this weekend about the security procedures that were involved when he went and read it.

“To get into the production office, you have to have someone meet you and there are keys and various doors that lock. The script you read in the production office, and there is no ending because [Nolan] tells you the ending so that it doesn’t leak and get out, and people spoil it on the internet.”

Despite all the reports out there with story spoilers, it's said none of them are accurate as yet and expect it to remain that way for a while.

Archived