DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Joss Whedon to direct THE AVENGERS movie

Werthead

Joss Whedon, creator of BUFFY THE VAMPIRE SLAYER, ANGEL, FIREFLY, DOLLHOUSE and DOCTOR HORRIBLE'S SING-ALONG BLOG, has been recruited by Marvel to direct THE AVENGERS movie, slated for release in 2012.

The film is the culmination of a long-term plan by Marvel, which is building up to this movie through several groundwork-laying films, such as IRON MAN, INCREDIBLE HULK, this year's IRON MAN 2, and next year's THOR and CAPTAIN AMERICA. These movies are all linked by Nick Fury (Samuel L. Jackson) showing up at some point to recruit the hero for a new team he is putting together. THE AVENGERS will see the team going into action for the first time, teaming up the respective movies' stars.

Whedon has been looking to get involved with a major superhero movie for some time, after he departed from the WONDER WOMAN project over creative differences. His last-directed film was 2005's SERENITY.

And yes, that's a lot of Big Damn Heroes.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

"V," "Stargate" and "Firefly" star Morena Baccarin is the latest name rumored to be joining the cast of Marvel Studios' upcoming "The Avengers" reports Mania. Is she in talks to play The Wasp? The report sounds extremely dubious at best.

In more confirmed news, Mark Ruffalo talked with Vulture and revealed that his incarnation of The Hulk will be motion-captured in "The Avengers". The previous two "Hulk" movies with Eric Bana and Ed Norton used entirely CG creations for their Hulk scenes.

Finally, director Joss Whedon has spoken about the project to SFX and how he intends to juggle both action scenes and so many characters together:

"What I will struggle with, in the outline and throughout, is that I would like to put these actors in a room and just make Glengarry Glen Ross. We’re talking about really exciting people and at the same time I have to keep the momentum of the thing going. I can’t let it turn into a lull fest. Knowing that I have enough time to do both of those things – that by the end of the movie you will feel ‘in’ with these guys – is the trick. It’s not an easy one but one that Marvel absolutely honours."

Whedon also spoke about Ruffalo's involvement in particular. "They don’t hire Mark Ruffalo [the new Hulk] to say one iconic line and strike a pose. They hire him because he has so much humanity in him. He’s the antithesis of the iconic actor. He’s so human. He was my first choice to play the part, and the fact he is playing the part is nuts! They went to great lengths to make that happen and they understood exactly why he was right for the part" he says.

• 1 month later...

Rumors about Avengers production could prove disastrous if correct.

If there's any film headed into production that you would think demanded a big budget, it would be Marvel's superhero ensemble "The Avengers".

Now, an interesting rumour over at Bleeding Cool says the studio is demanding the film be completed on a budget just under $140 million.

To give you a comparison that's almost the same budget as the first "Iron Man" but notably short of such other recent superhero films like "The Dark Knight" ($185 million), "Iron Man 2" ($200 million) and "Spider-Man 3" ($258 million).

As a result, the site's unnamed sources claim some people have walked off the set, while others hope that once the production runs out of money then extra cash will be added to finish the project. In any case the staff changes have apparently delayed the pre-production process by weeks, possibly months.

No word on how or if this will affect the shooting schedule or release date as yet, and no official comment as yet by either Marvel or 'Avengers' distributor Disney.

• 2 months later...

Cobie Smulders could make the move from HIMYM to the Avengers

"How I Met Your Mother" star Cobie Smulders has emerged as the front runner for the role of S.H.I.E.L.D. Agent Maria Hill in the Joss Whedon-directed "The Avengers" reports Deadline.

The role is that of the unidentified female sidekick of Nick Fury (Samuel L. Jackson) which Jackson himself mentioned in a recent interview with Jimmy Fallon. A deal is expected shortly and will include options for appearances in future superhero films.

In the comics, Hill was the ruthless interim executive director of S.H.I.E.L.D. and was not above blackmailing and bullying superheros to get her way. She was eventually supplanted by Tony Stark.

• 4 weeks later...

One of the juiciest rumors today comes via AICN is that Marvel has already shot a teaser trailer for "The Avengers" with plans to premiere it in front of either "Thor" or "Captain America: The First Avenger".

According to the site, the trailer confirms that Thor's brother Loki (Tom Hiddleston) will be the main villain. Loki will likely get his hands on the Cosmic Cube, the macguffin of the upcoming "Captain America: The First Avenger", and uses it to bring the shapeshifting alien race The Skrulls to invade Earth.

How The Hulk will fit in with this story remains unclear, though it has been rumoured Loki will brainwash him - an action that causes The Avengers to assemble early in the film.

• 1 month later...

While Joss Whedon revealed the news on the weekend, Marvel Studios has now issued released a press release confirming the start of production for Marvel's "The Avengers". To make sure it makes headlines, they've also included the first photo from the set which you can see below.

av1_poster.jpg

Here's a copy of the official press release:

"Production has commenced today in Albuquerque, New Mexico on Marvel Studios' highly anticipated movie "Marvel's The Avengers," directed by Joss Whedon ("Serenity") from a screenplay by Whedon. The film will continue principal photography in Cleveland, Ohio and New York City. Robert Downey, Jr. ("Iron Man," "Iron Man 2") returns as the iconic Tony Stark/Iron Man along with Chris Hemsworth ("Thor") as Thor, Chris Evans ("Captain America: The First Avenger") as Captain America, Jeremy Renner ("Thor," "The Hurt Locker") as Hawkeye, Mark Ruffalo ("The Kids Are Alright") as Hulk, Scarlett Johansson ("Iron Man 2") as Black Widow, Clark Gregg ("Iron Man," "Thor") as Agent Phil Coulson, and Samuel L. Jackson ("Iron Man," "Iron Man 2") as Nick Fury. Set for release in the US on May 4, 2012, "Marvel's The Avengers" is the first feature to be fully owned, marketed and distributed by Disney, which acquired Marvel in 2009.

Continuing the epic big-screen adventures started in "Iron Man," "The Incredible Hulk," "Iron Man 2," "Thor," and "Captain America: The First Avenger," "Marvel's The Avengers" is the super hero team up of a lifetime. When an unexpected enemy emerges that threatens global safety and security, Nick Fury, director of the international peacekeeping agency known as S.H.I.E.L.D., finds himself in need of a team to pull the world back from the brink of disaster.

Based on the ever-popular Marvel comic book series, first published in 1963, "Marvel's The Avengers" brings together the mightiest super hero characters as they all assemble together on screen for the first time. The star studded cast of super heroes will be joined by Cobie Smulders ("How I Met Your Mother) as Agent Maria Hill of S.H.I.E.L.D., as well as Tom Hiddleston ("Wallander") and Stellan Skarsgård ("Angels & Demons," "Mamma Mia!") who will both reprise their respective roles as Loki and Professor Erik Selvig from the upcoming Marvel Studios' feature "Thor."

"Marvel's The Avengers" is being produced by Marvel Studios' President, Kevin Feige, and executive produced by Alan Fine, Stan Lee, Louis D'Esposito, Patty Whitcher, and Jon Favreau. Marvel Studios' Jeremy Latcham and Victoria Alonso will co-produce.

The creative production team also includes Oscar nominated director of photography Seamus McGarvey ("Atonement"), production designer James Chinlund ("25th Hour"), Oscar winning costume designer Alexandra Byrne ("Elizabeth: The Golden Age"), Oscar winning visual effects supervisor Janek Sirrs ("Iron Man 2," "The Matrix"), visual effects producer Susan Pickett ("Iron Man," "Iron Man 2"), stunt coordinator R.A. Rondell ("Superman Returns"), and four-time Oscar nominated special effects supervisor Dan Sudick ("Iron Man," "War of the Worlds"). The editors include Oscar nominated Paul Rubell ("Collateral") and Jeffrey Ford ("Crazy Heart").

Marvel Studios most recently produced "Iron Man 2" which was released in theatres on May 7, 2010. The sequel to "Iron Man," starring Robert Downey, Jr. and Gwyneth Paltrow as well as Don Cheadle, Scarlett Johansson and Mickey Rourke, took the number one spot its first weekend with a domestic box office gross of $128.1 million. To date the film has earned over $620 million in worldwide box office receipts.

In the summer of 2008, Marvel produced the summer blockbuster movies, "Iron Man" and "The Incredible Hulk." "Iron Man," in which Robert Downey, Jr. originally dons the super hero's powerful armor alongside co-stars Terrence Howard, Jeff Bridges and Gwyneth Paltrow, was released May 2, 2008 and was an immediate box office success. Garnering the number one position for two weeks in a row, the film brought in over $100 million its opening weekend and grossed over $571 million worldwide. On June 13, 2008, Marvel released "The Incredible Hulk" marking its second number one opener of that summer. The spectacular revival of the iconic green goliath grossed over $250 million in worldwide box office receipts."

• 1 month later...

There's some speculation that Thanos might be a secondary villain

While it has generally been thought that Tom Hiddleston's Loki from "Thor" would serve as the main villain in the upcoming Marvel superhero team-up, Latino Review appears to have uncovered a potential secondary antagonist.

Previous reports have suggested that Loki uses the cosmic cube, the macguffin of the upcoming "Captain America: The First Avenger", to bring forth the alien race The Skrulls to invade Earth. At the same time he would manipulate The Hulk to turn on the superheroes.

Now, talk of another bad guy has emerged - Thanos. In the comics he's a mad cosmic tyrant bent on slaying half of all sentient beings in existence. One big part of his outfit is an 'Infinity Gauntlet', a jewelled glove.

A glove prop resembling the design was on display at last year’s San Diego Comic Con and made a brief appearance in the Odin’s Vault scenes in "Thor".

Of course all of this is speculation as no plot points or details have been confirmed, aside from Hiddleston appearing in the film. The project is currently shooting in New Mexico.

I strongly doubt they would go for Thanos. He has never really been involved with the Avengers, and is generally a quite obscure being, mostly featuring in the more cosmic-related titles. Also, Marvel tries to stay fairly close to the comics in their movies, but they would have to radically change Thanos for him to work in a movie, otherwise he is simply too powerful for the Avengers to handle. We're talkin about a guy wh beats up the Silver Surfer for fun here.

I think the Infinity Gauntlet was just an easter egg. Marvels movies are full of those, with IM2 in the lead with over 10.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Some info on the Hulk

We had our first look at Mark Ruffalo's The Hulk appearance in "The Avengers" in the Marvel poster released the other week. Now Marvel Studios president Kevin Feige talked to Hero Complex about this third modern take on Bruce Banner and how his design differs from the Eric Bana and Ed Norton incarnations.

Asked about the creature's physical size, which has fluctuated across the comics and films, Feige says "He’ll be about the same size he was in 'The Incredible Hulk' [9 feet tall] or maybe a little bit smaller. His muscles won’t be quite as cut. We figure he’s been the Hulk now for a few years and his physique is changing. He’s not as cut or as ripped as he was in 'The Incredible Hulk.' The most important thing is that face. As you can already see in that concept painting, it is — more than any Hulk that’s ever been done in live action — a Hulk that let’s you see the actor in there. You will be able to see Ruffalo in there."

Feige admits the previous approach, which was to actively avoid portraying Hulk's face akin to the actor, was an approach that he and the company "came to question". Feige says "we did a few designs that put Ruffalo into it, and we immediately saw how much more you feel for the creature. When you keep that connection going between Banner and the Hulk and you have characters around him trying to reach Banner inside."

Pictures from the teaser trailer. Read the article before playing the video if you haven't seen Captain America yet and don't want it spoiled and if you're one of the five people on Earth that didn't know how it would end before they even made the movie.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

getting this into the more up-to-date thread...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zatgnqdIefs

While we never see any other villain than Loik, I think the trailer supports the Skrull being the big threat. We see a lot of shooting/staring up in the air, so whoever they are fighting must be flying. And Lokis greatest strength has always been his ability to manipulate others into doing the dirtywork. And the Skrull has been one of the most longstanding threats to earth, from their appearance in one of the first FF comics in the early 60s, to their full-scale invasion in the recent Secret Invasion.

Granted, it could be one of the other races in Asgard, but I think marvel wants to save that for the Thor-solo movies.

Other than that, seeing Thor and Captain America have a go at it is a nice nod to the comics, where heroes often start by beating eachother up until they realize they are on the same side.

Not sure i like Ruffalo as Banner, as he does not look like the nerd Banner is supposed to be. But maybe his acting makes up for it.

"genius, billionaire, playboy and philantropist". Yes Tony, and also an arrogant smartass with a motormouth, which is why we love you biggrin.gif

Lokis voice in the beginning...Perfect! Seen the trailer several times, and it still creeps me out.

• 3 months later...

The movie will mostle be be from Captain Americas perspective.

I set out with a very simple problem: There is no reason for these people to be in the same movie. So that’s what my movie has to be about. So much of the movie takes place from Steve Rogers’ (

Chris Evans

) perspective, since he’s the guy who just woke up and sees this weird ass world. Everyone else has been living in it.

http://collider.com/avengers-pov-captain-america/137687/

Sounds like a smart move to me.

And Joss about the characters, http://collider.com/joss-whedon-talks-avengers-characters/127268/

• 3 weeks later...

Archived