DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Brandon Sanderson Adding character names

Shard

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've always thought the way RJ created the names was really clever.

Loial

Liandrin

Sumeko

Caraighan

Siuan

Setalle

Matrim

and all manner of others.  Colavere,Fel, Reene, Sulin, Amys, Sorilea, Birgitte...I think it's great.

So Andrew Sparks just seems so out of place in whatever race he will end up being, unless the names of the other people in his race are also what we would see as more modern names.  Andrew Sparks, son of Timothy Sparks, son of Methugela Sparks (just to throw a twist in).  I don't know...i guess I'll have to see how/who this Andrew is, because maybe in context it works just fine.  It just doesn't initially have that Wheel of Time feel to it.

Loial

Liandrin

Sumeko

Caraighan

Siuan

Setalle

Matrim

and all manner of others.  Colavere,Fel, Reene, Sulin, Amys, Sorilea, Birgitte...I think it's great.

So Andrew Sparks just seems so out of place in whatever race he will end up being, unless the names of the other people in his race are also what we would see as more modern names.  Andrew Sparks, son of Timothy Sparks, son of Methugela Sparks (just to throw a twist in).  I don't know...i guess I'll have to see how/who this Andrew is, because maybe in context it works just fine.  It just doesn't initially have that Wheel of Time feel to it.

I love how everybody is jumping all over the Andrew Sparks name while ignoring the other 40 or so that Brandon tweeted about.  Most if not all of them also don't sound very WoTish but nobody has complained.  I figured that it was because everybody knew how Brandon was planning on using and changing the names.  Seeing how that is obviously not the case, why in particular do people have a problem with Andrew Sparks and not "Susan Moore" or "Scott Reid" (who we know will be a Two Rivers man) or "Paul Jarr" or any of the other myriads of names that Brandon has announced.

Edit: Just for fun, I went back through some of Brandon's tweets to pull out names and information that he's going to use.

Name                        What we know about the character

[pre]Andrew Sparks Non-human

Susan Moore

Scott Reid   Two Rivers Bowman

Paul Jarr

Ifeyinwa Eboh Aiel

Eva Snyder   Aiel

Deep Bhandari Asha'man

Armir Yoeli

Sthephen Antill

Sigrid Andersson Horseman (maybe woman depending on if he follows today's naming norms)

Robert Baret

Sean O'Connell

Steven Connelly Dies in a Battle

Rhet Petcher Dies in a Battle

Timpthy Brown sic  Asha'man (probably Timothy)

Dustin Gurham probably Borderlander

Ed Sorrentino probably Borderlander

Eddy Knapper probably Borderlander

Christopher Helmke probably Borderlander

Brent Welborn Dies bravely in a battle

Brian Lehnen Dies bravely in a battle

Sarah Kainec Kainea Spearsister

Paul Postuma Door

George Zell

Kine Iohne   has a trolloc dropped on his head

Jennifer Kaiser

Farah Sadaoui

Nicole Nimry Green Ajah

Maksim Zhukov

Fitzgerald Clark youngling

Eric Mazsone youngling

Han Zhang    youngling

Alejandro Uso

Alec Breen

Laura Negin  village near Tar Valon

Adam Sampson

Adrienne Hotard

Alfred Granger

Adam Hahn

[/pre]

Loial

Liandrin

Sumeko

Caraighan

Siuan

Setalle

Matrim

and all manner of others.  Colavere,Fel, Reene, Sulin, Amys, Sorilea, Birgitte...I think it's great.

So Andrew Sparks just seems so out of place in whatever race he will end up being, unless the names of the other people in his race are also what we would see as more modern names.  Andrew Sparks, son of Timothy Sparks, son of Methugela Sparks (just to throw a twist in).  I don't know...i guess I'll have to see how/who this Andrew is, because maybe in context it works just fine.  It just doesn't initially have that Wheel of Time feel to it.

And again (is it the third time?) Brandon will change the names so they fit with WOT.

schneb's list of names "tweeted" really put a frown on my face.  Some of us don't tweet, so thanks for that.  Now I'm really worried, as well as entitled to my opinion.  I can only hope that he does well retrofitting the names to fit WoT.  Funny how some people think opinions should be their own, no matter that everyone has a differnt PoV.  It's not like a political debate here

Signing off this thread now.  Have fun with it.

Sharan?

I know the story wasn't going to go to Shara, but the Sharans could come to the story.

(To be specific, since sharans are human, we'd be talking about a sharan exotic)

We could be seeing Sharans names in the series, but I'm curious if we'll be learning more about them in ToM book or not.

There is one particular scene in 'The Shadow Rising' book, where Mat freely gives his military opinion on the Taardad Sept Hold of Cold Rocks:

Mat galloped up trailing a cloud of yellowish brown dust, hat pulled low and spear resting upright on his stirrup iron like a lance. “What is this place, Rand?” he asked loudly, to be heard over the shouts. “All those women would say was ‘Move faster. Move faster.’ ” Rand told him, and he frowned at the towering rock face of the butte. “You could hold that thing for years, I suppose, with supplies, but it isn’t a patch on the Stone, or the Tora Harad.”

“The Tora what?” Rand said.

Will the Sharans invade the Aiel Waste, including the ranges from Shiado to the Taardad?

No. It would take too much story time--even with two books.

The Aiel Instant Army took two whole books and countless previous foreshadowing, introducing Shara on that scale and nature would be impossible given the stuff we know has to happen.

I'm not saying Sharans won't play their part, or even that there won't be events involving Shara as a nation, but not invasions. Not them coming into the main story-line as a player.

No. It would take too much story time--even with two books.

The Aiel Instant Army took two whole books and countless previous foreshadowing, introducing Shara on that scale and nature would be impossible given the stuff we know has to happen.

I'm not saying Sharans won't play their part, or even that there won't be events involving Shara as a nation, but not invasions. Not them coming into the main story-line as a player.

Tower of Midnight and AMOL is going to be two very bloody books, from fighting in:

Tar Valon to Kandor to Saldaea Maradon's bridge to Andor's Black Tower to Cairhien to Andor's Whitebridge to Murandy to Illain to Ghealdan to Tower of Ghenjei to Altara & Tarabon to the Shadow Coast mountains to Cold Rock Hold et la --> all are places setup for future fighting in the series.

Difficult to impossible to see the Aiel Waste, being completely un-touched at all by T'G as you seem to suggest.  Cold Rock's Hold was specifically mentioned by Mat in tSR, for a reason...otherwise, that piece of text could of been cut-off of the book years ago in the editing process. 

I've seen no proof your interpretation of future events is on the dot here at all about Shara nor the Sharans. Only a set beliefs

There are no R.J. quotes supporting your view & belief that a Sharan invasion will not occur either. Yes, I've looked for one; be it in the books and at Theoryland, Atari forums, 13th Depositary, Terez's quotes database, Tar Valon forums, youtube videos, UStream videos et al. 

So how and who are going to destroy the remaining Shiado Aiel in the Waste then?

Trollocs and/or other Shadowspawn?

The few remaining Aiel traders, women, blacksmiths, and children of the 11 Clans remaining in the Waste?

The Sharans?

Or something else entirely?

Difficult to impossible to see the Aiel Waste, being completely un-touched at all by T'G as you seem to suggest

I said nothing about them being un-touched, I said that introducing an entire new culture as a genuine player at this stage is impossible. A Sharan invasion constitutes this--it would simply take too much screen time to introduce them, and there are too many other things that must happen in the final two books.

So how and who are going to destroy the remaining Shiado Aiel in the Waste then?

Who said they had to be destroyed? Maybe they will simply diminish, much as the Jenn Aiel did, and pass into history that way. Maybe they will survive, completely unscathed. Maybe they won't even make it back to the Waste. Who cares? Their relevance is over.

Ifeyinwa Eboh      Aiel

Eva Snyder         Aiel

Aiel with a last name ??

To repeat what Maj has said about twenty times, Brandon with adjust the names to fit the story--so no Aquarius, there will be no Aiel with last names.

I swear if this has to be said again I'll scream. THE NAMES WILL BE WOTIFIED!

Difficult to impossible to see the Aiel Waste, being completely un-touched at all by T'G as you seem to suggest

I said nothing about them being un-touched, I said that introducing an entire new culture as a genuine player at this stage is impossible. A Sharan invasion constitutes this--it would simply take too much screen time to introduce them, and there are too many other things that must happen in the final two books.

It did not take very long for Trollocs in the tEoW book to be introduced at all. 

Sometimes I wonder if you're missed almost all the bits of hints, clues and insights about the Sharans set across the series.    ???   

Who said they had to be destroyed? Maybe they will simply diminish, much as the Jenn Aiel did, and pass into history that way. Maybe they will survive, completely unscathed. Maybe they won't even make it back to the Waste. Who cares? Their relevance is over.

If the Shiado Aiel relevance is over, why is does Robert Jordan let us know about a Sept leader Bendhuin being sent to Rhuidean with a bunch of Shiado Wise Ones to become their next Clan leader in KoD book?  Therava wants the Shiado Aiel to remain in the Waste for good (KoD).  A dead plotline in your view?

Source: The Shadow Rising book - Chapter 23 'Beyond the Stone' - Moiraine, Melanie, Seana

We did not see Egwene or Mat Cauthon at all. It was no more than an even chance that the young man who calls himself Rand al'Thor would come. If he did not, it was certain that he would die, and the Aiel too. Yet he has come, and if he survives Rhuidean, some of the Aiel at least will survive. This we know. If you (Moiraine) had not come, he would have died. If Aan'allein had not come, you would have died. If you did not go through the rings...

So why, how would all the Aiel as a people die if Rand al'Thor didn't become the Car'a'carn?

Aiel do not have the survival difficulties the Jenn Aiel had in Rhuidean.  They will fight back. Hawkwing wasn't able to conquer the Aiel in the Waste, a thousand year ago either.  Something else would of had to caused them to die in the future, if Rand did not become the Car'a'carn. 

My point is the Shiado Aiel still exist as a people, whether the as the people moving back to the Waste or as prisoners of the Seanchan Empire. They are not yet dead as the Prophecy of Rhuidean seems to suggest they should be in time, as non-followers of the Car'a'carn.

After T'G, the leashing of the Shiado Aiel Wise Ones with the a'dam has created the basis of an ongoing blood feud between all eleven Aiel Clans and the Seanchan Empire, in Aviendha point of view with Amys agreeing (tGS, Chapter 15 'A Place to Begin).  The Shiado Aiel as a social body still matter for story purposes, as they help create a division in the Westlands too.

It did not take very long for Trollocs in the tEoW book to be introduced at all. 

Trollocs are virtually animals. We know their motivations and even their organisations at a glance. A full distinct human culture is something else--you have to show who they are, why they're fighting, what led to them taking that position.

The Aiel. The Seanchan. Even people from the local area--like the Aes Sedai--took books to introduce as a culture. It is implausible for the Sharans to be introduced at this late stage.

Sometimes I wonder if you're missed almost all the bits of hints, clues and insights about the Sharans set across the series. 

I have not. These do not satisfy the necessary exposition to introduce the Sharans as a genuine player. They do provide for individual sharans to become involved, or even for events in Shara to affect the Westlands, but they do not allow for the Sharan Empire to join the game.

If the Shiado Aiel relevance is over, why is does Robert Jordan let us know about a Sept leader Bendhuin being sent to Rhuidean with a bunch of Shiado Wise Ones to become their next Clan leader in KoD book?  Therava wants the Shiado Aiel to remain in the Waste for good (KoD).  A dead plotline in your view?

Because he is a good writer? Of course the Shaido would be looking to have a new clan chief--if just for the Wise One's to end Sevanna's influence. For him not to have fleshed out their intentions and motivations would have been a massive detour--but yes, this is a dead plotline in my view--oh it might yet be referenced, but it will not play a part in the general sequence of events.

Source: The Shadow Rising book - Chapter 23 'Beyond the Stone' - Moiraine, Melanie, Seana

We did not see Egwene or Mat Cauthon at all. It was no more than an even chance that the young man who calls himself Rand al'Thor would come. If he did not, it was certain that he would die, and the Aiel too. Yet he has come, and if he survives Rhuidean, some of the Aiel at least will survive. This we know. If you (Moiraine) had not come, he would have died. If Aan'allein had not come, you would have died. If you did not go through the rings...

So why, how would all the Aiel as a people die if Rand al'Thor didn't become the Car'a'carn?

Aiel do not have the survival difficulties the Jenn Aiel had in Rhuidean.  They will fight back. Hawkwing wasn't able to conquer the Aiel in the Waste, a thousand year ago either.  Something else would of had to caused them to die in the future, if Rand did not become the Car'a'carn. 

My point is the Shiado Aiel still exist as a people, whether the as the people moving back to the Waste or as prisoners of the Seanchan Empire. They are not yet dead as the Prophecy of Rhuidean seems to suggest they should be in time, as non-followers of the Car'a'carn.

After T'G, the leashing of the Shiado Aiel Wise Ones with the a'dam has created the basis of an ongoing blood feud between all eleven Aiel Clans and the Seanchan Empire, in Aviendha point of view with Amys agreeing (tGS, Chapter 15 'A Place to Begin).  The Shiado Aiel as a social body still matter for story purposes, as they help create a division in the Westlands too.

What is the relevance of that? That the Aiel might have died out as a race, that the Shaido are doomed for not following Rand, does not suggest a genocide perpertated by the Sharan Empire, nor fix the issue inherent in such a scenario.

How would the Aiel have died? Who knows? A plague, a famine, simply wasting away as did the Jenn--which, by the way, was not a result of their pacifism, but because they stopped having children, which may as easily happen to the Aiel--and thats presuming that the doom was not simply a doom of culture.

You're presuming the remenant of a remenant implies great casualties amongst the Aiel, that they must in fact die, but what if it speaks simply of them changing--which is already happening. Men channeling, the revelation of the secrets of Rhuidean--those that spoke the prophecy spoke to the Jenn, so the modern Aiel are already one step of the remenant of a remenant.

You grab at the most random ideas.

Ifeyinwa Eboh      Aiel

Eva Snyder         Aiel

Aiel with a last name ??

To repeat what Maj has said about twenty times, Brandon with adjust the names to fit the story--so no Aquarius, there will be no Aiel with last names.

I swear if this has to be said again I'll scream. THE NAMES WILL BE WOTIFIED!

I found this one to be interesting, it came in two separate tweets: Sarah Kainec      Kainea Spearsister.  At first I thought that he had just typo'd Sarah's last name, but after reading the tweets a couple of times, I believe that Kainea is the name that he adapted from Sara's name to be the Aiel name.

What is the relevance of that? That the Aiel might have died out as a race, that the Shaido are doomed for not following Rand, does not suggest a genocide perpertated by the Sharan Empire, nor fix the issue inherent in such a scenario.

How would the Aiel have died? Who knows? A plague, a famine, simply wasting away as did the Jenn--which, by the way, was not a result of their pacifism, but because they stopped having children, which may as easily happen to the Aiel--and thats presuming that the doom was not simply a doom of culture.

You're presuming the remenant of a remenant implies great casualties amongst the Aiel, that they must in fact die, but what if it speaks simply of them changing--which is already happening. Men channeling, the revelation of the secrets of Rhuidean--those that spoke the prophecy spoke to the Jenn, so the modern Aiel are already one step of the remenant of a remenant.

You grab at the most random ideas.

Prophecy!  I think the answer to your question, Dida, lies in the word that Luckers used - prophecy.

Rand's opportunity for success in TG is pretty narrow, and prophecy plays a large part in it.  There are certain paths he must follow in order to succeed.

If Rand hadn't gone to Rhuidean he would not have fulfilled the Prophecy of Rhuidean or the Prophecy of the Dragon: "Twice and Twice shall he be marked, etc."  Having successfully fulfilled those prophecies, though, he now leads 11 whole Clans.  These Aiel have been instrumental in helping Rand accomplish what is necessary.

There are many prophecies that if Rand does not fulfill he will not be on the right path to victory against the DO.  (actually, that is probably the case for all the prophecies)  Who knows what circumstances would have arisen if Rand had not gone to Rhuidean?  We just know that the Dreamwalkers seem to have seen that it would have resulted in his premature death (by "premature" I mean to say before TG). 

If Rand dies too soon, the DO wins.

If the DO wins, he will slay the Great Serpent and destroy the Wheel.

Then everyone dies: the Aiel included.

The meaning of the Dreamwalkers' statements regarding Rand's coming to Rhuidean may have been as simple as that (even though they, themselves, may not have known it).

In whether or not it's an ogier I doubt that it will be shadow spawn as they tend to have names in the trolloc language.

So far two shadowspawn have been given a name::

-A trolloc named Narg

-A myrddraal named Shaidar Haran

Shaidar Haran seems to be from Old Tongue (meaning 'Hand of the Dark'); we have not been told what Wheel of Time language Narg comes from, nor the meaning of the name.

I would guess that mainly trollocs and myrddraal would have names from the trolloc language.

Other shadowspawn types might have different languages.

Difficult to impossible to see the Aiel Waste, being completely un-touched at all by T'G as you seem to suggest.  Cold Rock's Hold was specifically mentioned by Mat in tSR, for a reason...otherwise, that piece of text could of been cut-off of the book years ago in the editing process. 

Huh? That conversation was there just to begin to show the differences in Mat since coming through the ter'angreal doorway in Rhuidean...how do you leap to an epic Aiel Waste battle from that one snippet?  ???

In all fairness, this talk about the Aiel and the prophecy about a remnant of a remnant, to me it seems like it is all set in motion. The Shaido I think are part of what was broken with the sword of peace, and the ones that simply left altogether are the ones that were broken with the leaf. The remnant of a remnant I think will be the Aiel that stay true to their ways after Tarmon Gaidon. Many might convert to the way of the leaf, many may die, but in my opinion the last bit, the remnant, is the only bit we are still waiting to see. I dont think the Aiel will be doing anything about the Shaido Wise Ones because the Shaido no longer follow ji'e'toh, and from an Aiel perspective ji'e'toh defines who they are.

Prophecy!  I think the answer to your question, Dida, lies in the word that Luckers used - prophecy.

It also depends on interpretation.

Firstly, I think it should be noted that the exact phrase is 'the remnant of a remnant'. Its an important distinction I think, because it changes the subject of the sentence. A remnant of a remnant is sequential, it continues on adding to the description. The remnant of a remnant separates the sentence--by which I mean it makes each remnant refer to a different thing.

Which is a fancy way of saying that rather than simply mean that the Aiel are gonna get nearly wiped out--that there will be only a remnant of a remnant left numbers wise, i think the phrase represents a sequence of changes within the Aiel. But that’s all esoteric gibberish.

The actual reality of it all is that i think the modern Aiel are already one of the remnants spoken of. Consider that the prophecy was spoken by Aes Sedai living with the Jenn, who remembered the Dai'shain and the First Covenant--still lived it, really. Modern Aiel as they are a remnant of the Dai'shain, and I think that is the first step in the chain--a fact that is added to by the fact that whoever spoke the prophecy actually used the words 'those that call themselves Aiel' indicating quite clearly that from their perspective (of which the Foretelling was spoken) modern Aiel are not actually Aiel. It's the same as the whole 'so-called Aiel' thing.

So irrespective of whether or not it refers to deaths and damage i dont think its going to be as severe as the wording 'a remnant of a remnant' suggests (hence my first paragraph).

From there though I would say that I actually don't think the prophecy refers to Aiel dying in great numbers at all. Oh, I think that will happen--the Aiel are way to into the whole 'till water is gone, till shade is gone' thing not to be at the head of the fight in Tarmon Gai'don, so they are going to be taking heavy losses. I just don't think that prophecy refers to them dying Tarmon Gai'don.

Consider that the prophecy says 'He will spill the blood of those that call themselves Aiel as if water on sand, and he shall break them as with dried twigs, but the remnant of a remnant will he save, and they shall live.'

That indicates to me that what's going on with the remnants results directly from Rand's actions against the Aiel. Specifically, I'm talking about the revelation of the First Covenant and the sin of the Aiel. Thats were the decline of the modern Aiel began, where things began to get nasty.

So thats my argument--or more precisely my argument is that the remnant of a remnant refers to a social change, not to great losses. Modern Aiel whose culture stems from the Dai'shain are a remnant, and the Aiel that will exist after Tarmon Gai'don will be much the same--similar to the modern Aiel, born from that culture, but different.

And consider how its already begun--the revelation of the Aiel's past and the bleakness, the fact that Aiel are mixing for the first time with the non-Aiel on a social level, the Wise Ones getting over their fear of Aes Sedai and standing up for themselves, the Wise Ones fighting--and consider how it will continue, with the truth of the Aiel known to all Aiel they will have to devise a new method of selecting chiefs, with travelling the Waste cannot remain so hidden away, so the Aiel are going to have to take their place on the world stage. With men able to channel the Wise One organisation will need to expand to include men, or adapt to their presense in some way. The entire gender system will be thrown into chaos.

Rand is the beginning of all of it--he stripped away what the Aiel were--or did things that will strip away even more of how they lived. It's why aiel are becoming siswai'aman--because their culture is falling apart.

They'll survive, but they'll be different. I do hope they cling to ji'e'toh though.

Just for fun, I went back through some of Brandon's tweets to pull out names and information that he's going to use.

Name                        What we know about the character

[pre]

Paul Postuma Door

[/pre]

Ummmm.....like, a door? That you go through? What kind of door would require a name? Even the doorways extremely important to the the series like the red ter'angreal doorways aren't named....

Watch the Shaido reform themselves and become the remnant of a remnant that remains, while all the other Aiel under Rand "destroy" themselves by becoming peace loving, tree hugging hippies when Rand reintroduces the Song to them.

Watch the Shaido reform themselves and become the remnant of a remnant that remains, while all the other Aiel under Rand "destroy" themselves by becoming peace loving, tree hugging hippies when Rand reintroduces the Song to them.

I believe that that idea has been officially shot down, but I can't recall any specific quotes

Archived