DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Female Vocalist for the Band's Band - It's A Knockout (Winner: Sharon den Adel)

Corki

"It's A Knockout" continues again this month as the Band of the Red Hand returns to creating its Dream Band. We have already filled the position of Guitarist, which was won by Carlos Santana and Geddy Lee was picked as the bass player. Up next is the place of Female Vocalist, with Male Vocals, Drummer and Keyboardist still to come and complete the line up. Amazingly, sixteen (16) Female Vocalists got nominated to challenge for the honour, so Corki didn't have to find any to compete the line up for the position in the Band's Dream Band. The Female Vocalist that makes it into the Band's Dream Band is the one that wins this "It's A Knockout" contest. It is basically down to you to pick who gets that important position.

"It's A Knockout" remains with the longer format this month - and this means there are 16 female vocalists instead of 8!

"It's a Knockout" - Format

For those of you who have not been involved with a "It's A Knockout" thread before, the rules are quite simple. The Band of the Red Hand is DM's travel and music ORG, and "It's a Knockout" is a knock out competition to find out the winner of the chosen category (past categories include Micheal Jackson songs, Classical Music, One Hit Wonders). Each day, 2 female vocalists will be posted, along with a link so you can listen to some of their vocal skills if you do not know it, and all you have to do is post who you think is the better singer/vocalist of the two. After a day, the votes will be counted, and the winning female vocalist will progress to the next round, until we only have 1 female vocalist left as the winner at the end of the competition - who will take their place in the Band's Dream Band. It's very simple, so I look forward to seeing you getting involved!

So without further a-do, let the competition begin!

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

RESULTS

Round 1

1. Sharon den Adel (of Within Temptation) beat Angela Gossow (of Arch Enemy) (6-2)

2. Lisa Kelly (of Celtic Woman) beat Anette Olzon (of Nightwish) (4-2)

3. Simone Simons (of Epica) beat Sarah McLachlan (6-2)

4. Greta Salpeter (of The Hush Sound) lost to Dawn Richardson (of Fireflight) (3-4)

5. Annie Lennox beat Amy Lee (of Evanescence) (6-4)

6. Loreena McKennit lost to PJ Harvey (3-5)

7. Francesca Battistelli beat Cristina Scabbia (of Lacuna Coil) (5-3)

8. Demi Lovato lost to Lacey Mosley (of Flyleaf) (2-3)

2nd Round

1. Simone Simons (of Epica) beat Dawn Richardson (of Fireflight) (5-4)

2. PJ Harvey lost to Lisa Kelly (of Celtic Woman) (2-6)

3. Sharon den Adel (of Within Temptation) beat Lacey Mosley (of Flyleaf) (5-2)

4. Francesca Battistelli beat Annie Lennox (5-2)

Semi-Final

1. Simone Simons (of Epica) lost to Lisa Kelly (of Celtic Woman) (3-4)

2. Sharon den Adel (of Within Temptation) beat Francesca Battistelli (4-3)

3rd/4th Play-off

1. Simone Simons (of Epica) beat Francesca Battistelli (4-3)

Final

1. Sharon den Adel (of Within Temptation) beat Lisa Kelly (of Celtic Woman) (4-2)

THE CHOSEN FEMALE VOCALISTS

1. Sharon den Adel (of Within Temptation)

There was a desire to just put "goddess" and "one of Corki's three Muses" as the reason for the nomination...but I decided I would expand of that! Sharon den Adel is the lead singer of the Dutch symphonic metal/rock group Within Temptation. She is a mezzo-soprano singer who has never been trained, and her vocals play a major role in the band's sound. Before going full time with music, she worked in the world of fashion, and designs the group's merchandise. Have I mentioned the word "goddess" already?  ;D

2. Angela Gossow (of Arch Enemy)

She's the only one that I want to nominate. Plus she's hot and scary which is a great combination. She is considered to be one of the few successful female metal singers to use growling as her primary singing style. She also has a mezzo-soprano vocal range.

3. Lisa Kelly

She has one of the most amazing voices I've ever heard. She has also been involved in many musicals, taking on the roles of "Velma Kelly" in Chicago, "Maria" in West Side Story and "Sandy" in Grease. She was asked to join Celtic Woman in 2004 - what was meant to be a one night performance has turned into 5 albums!

4. Anette Olzon (of Nightwish)

She is one of the only female vocalists I enjoy. She may not be well known, but she is an extremely talented singer. She not only has a beautiful voice, but can do soft songs and faster songs and sound great.

5. Simone Simons (of Epica)

I'm a huge fan of female metal in general and I just missed her on the list. Especially since this band is well on their way to become famous even outside europe. Simone's voice is amazing in every way, I have a few other female metal vocalists that I enjoy most of wich are already nominated. But Simone is definatly the best one for me!

6. Sarah McLachlan

Her music was an inspiring force for me, songs that led me to look further into similar and not-so-similar solo female vocalists. Where her voice doesn't seem to have the pure beauty of some like Loreena McKennit, she still sings wonderfully, and there's a passion in her singing that reminds me of the best of blues and soul. The linked song is one of my personal top 5.

7. Greta Salpeter (The Hush Sound)

Simply one of the best female vocalist I've ever heard! She is also the pianist for the group, which she was classically trained in since the age of 2. The band is currently on a hiatus, and she has started a solo project.

8. Dawn Richardson (of Fireflight)

I'm not really sure. She is the lead singer of Christian rock band Fireflight. I just really like her voice and the music Fireflight does. She does a fantastic job as the lead singer, although her Cruella de Vil hair coloring is kind of scary!  ;D

9. Annie Lennox

While I'm not a big fan of her music with the Eurythmics, once she went solo she created some amazing music that rates among my favorite of all time. She is an Oscar winner, winning in 2004 with her song from The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King, Into the West. She is known as a pop culture icon for her distinctive contralto vocals and visual performances.

10. Amy Lee (of Evanescence)

When it comes to female vocalists for the most part I am not a fan, but she is amazing, and has some pretty awesome metal songs. She has a great range and can really rock out. Talentwise especially I have heard no one better. She is also a classically trained pianist. She is heavily involved in designing her clothes and appearances for music videos and gigs, and refuses to use "sex appeal" in her music.

11. Loreena McKennit

She has a beautiful voice ("a warbling soprano") and a fantastic body of music. The Mystic's Dream in the following music video some fan of WoW made is just one example of her many pieces. She has sold more than 13 million records worldwide.

12. PJ Harvey

One of few really unique female voices in rock. The most important thing for a rock vocalist to have is passion, and there is no female (and few male) vocalists who has more passion than Polly Jean Harvey.

13. Francesca Battistelli

I LOVE her voice. It is amazing. That is all I can say, I just love it. Her music is pretty good too. Just a little more information - she is a Christian musician from New York City. Her first album was released in 2004 independently, but her first studio album came out in 2008. She received her first Grammy Award nomination in 2009 for "Best Gospel Performance" with her single Free To Be Me.

14. Cristina Scabbia (of Lacuna Coil)

She's got a killer voice and rocks hard. Plus, she's Italian and hot. She has a contralto vocal range, and has said that the biggest compliment that a fan could pay her would be to remark on her vocal abilities. She started out as a backing singer, before doing sessions for Ethereal (the name before Lacuna Coil), and the group liked the male/female vocal combination, she became a permanent member. She also writes an advice column in the popular rock magazine Revolver, alongside musician Vinnie Paul.

15. Demi Lovato

Okay, I know she's Disney-produced, but honestly, listen to her vocals! She has got one powerhouse voice, and amazing control too. The girl can SING. She is best known for her role as Mitchie Torres in the Disney Channel Original Movie, Camp Rock. Lovato stated that she likes metal music, especially black metal and metalcore.

16. Lacey Mosley (Flyleaf)

I think she has a pretty unique voice; and while I don't listen to as much of Flyleaf as my brothers do, or a few of my friends do, I do appreciate a few of the songs and like her vocals. She is also the main lyricist for the band. She received a pair of Grammy nominations at the 52nd Grammy Awards.

Round 1, Tie 1

Sharon den Adel (of Within Temptation)

There was a desire to just put "goddess" and "one of Corki's three Muses" as the reason for the nomination...but I decided I would expand of that! Sharon den Adel is the lead singer of the Dutch symphonic metal/rock group Within Temptation. She is a mezzo-soprano singer who has never been trained, and her vocals play a major role in the band's sound. Before going full time with music, she worked in the world of fashion, and designs the group's merchandise. Have I mentioned the word "goddess" already?  ;D

Links:

and Ice Queen (LIVE)

vs.

Angela Gossow (of Arch Enemy)

She's the only one that I want to nominate. Plus she's hot and scary which is a great combination. She is considered to be one of the few successful female metal singers to use growling as her primary singing style. She also has a mezzo-soprano vocal range.

Link:

Voting ends Saturday 13th February 2010 at 11pm (GMT)

Banders, Please Note:

Voting in "It's A Knockout" threads counts towards posting in an activity thread for points gained through the roll call. However, in order for that to qualify, you need to post and vote at least 4 times.

Corki

Marshal-General

ORG Leader

Well, it is fairly obvious who I am voting for - the goddess that is Sharon den Adel, the Queen of hand movements! Wake me up shortly as I am about to drift off into a dream world!  ;D

And growling isn't right with female vocals - at all. The music was fine, but the growling spoiled it completely.

Time to wrap this up - a little later than expected, but I blame a Valentine's meal and the day itself!  ;D ;D

So, Sharon den Adel advances into Round 2 with a 6-2 win.

Time for the next tie.

Round 1, Tie 2

Lisa Kelly (of Celtic Woman)

She has one of the most amazing voices I've ever heard. She has also been involved in many musicals, taking on the roles of "Velma Kelly" in Chicago, "Maria" in West Side Story and "Sandy" in Grease. She was asked to join Celtic Woman in 2004 - what was meant to be a one night performance has turned into 5 albums!

Now We Are Free and The Voice

vs.

Anette Olzon (of Nightwish)

She is one of the only female vocalists I enjoy. She may not be well known, but she is an extremely talented singer. She not only has a beautiful voice, but can do soft songs and faster songs and sound great.

Sahara and

Voting ends Monday 15th February 2010 at 11pm (GMT)

Well, it looks like my vote is going to decide what happens here...

I hate the Now We Are Free cover and much prefer Eimear Quinn's original of The Voice.

In my opinion, I don't mind Anette, but much prefer Tarja as the lead singer of Nightwish.

Having said that, Lisa Kelly has the better voice and so gets my vote.

Round 1, Tie 3

Simone Simons (of Epica)

I'm a huge fan of female metal in general and I just missed her on the list. Especially since this band is well on their way to become famous even outside europe. Simone's voice is amazing in every way, I have a few other female metal vocalists that I enjoy most of wich are already nominated. But Simone is definatly the best one for me!

Links:

and

vs.

Sarah McLachlan

Her music was an inspiring force for me, songs that led me to look further into similar and not-so-similar solo female vocalists. Where her voice doesn't seem to have the pure beauty of some like Loreena McKennit, she still sings wonderfully, and there's a passion in her singing that reminds me of the best of blues and soul. The linked song is one of my personal top 5.

Link:

and

Voting ends Tuesday 16th February 2010 at 11pm (GMT)

Archived