About Signatures, Avatars, and Other Ways of Customizing Your Experience
Posted 18 January 2010 - 04:58 PM
The following posts will discuss signatures, avatars, the rules regarding them, and tutorials on how to host an image, and how to attach it to your profile. We'll also discuss other ways you can customize your DM experience by changing your settings in your profile.
Table of Contents
1) Guidelines for Signatures and Avatars
2) Tutorial: Hosting an Image and Attaching a Signature and Avatar to your Profile
3) Setting Custom Titles and Personal Text
Posted 21 January 2010 - 07:11 AM
A signature is the wide image that runs along the bottom of your post.
An avatar is the square image that site at the left side of the page next to your post.
If you’re looking for a signature, please look first in the Signature Auctions board, where you can browse a list of available signatures and bid (no money required) on the ones you like.
If you don’t see a signature that’s right for you, and/or if you are looking for an avatar image, you can start a new thread, and one of our sig-makers will come along and work on an image for you. Most sig-makers take images that already exist (with permission from the artist), and combine them, edit them, and add text to create the final image for you. In your post, you should give information about what text and basic concept you would like, as well as any particular images you would like used (again, if you have permission from the artist). A sig-maker will post in your thread to let you know they will make an attempt at fulfilling your request.
REMEMBER: Sig-makers do this for FREE, on their own time. If these artists are busy, uninspired, or if your request is complicated, you may not get a response immediately, or at all. If you get no response, reconsider what you are asking for, and try again, or bump your thread after some time has passed to see if it gets a nibble. ^_^
Please keep these rules in mind when you make your requests.
1. Signature text, including any BB or HTML code, is limited by the message board to 400 characters.
2. Signatures that are text only must contain no more than six lines of text (including line breaks) as displayed on the message board.
3. Signatures with an image must contain no more than two additional lines of text (including line breaks) in addition to the image, as displayed on the message board.
4. Signature images must be no more than 500 pixels wide and no more than 125 pixels high.
5. Signature images must contain no copyrighted material without permission from the artist.
6. Signature material must be PG-13: material that is appropriate for people as young as 13 years old.
7. You may have up to 4 dragon eggs in your signature instead of text / images, but if you do, you may not have anything else in your sig.
1. You may choose any avatar from DM’s avatar gallery and it will fit these guidelines.
2. If you choose to link your avatar from your own site, it should be a square 100 pixels wide by 100 pixels high. Images with different dimensions will be automatically stretched or shrunk by the message board to fit these dimension, and this may give them a warped look.
3. Avatars must contain no copyrighted material without permission from the artist.
4. Avatar material must be PG-13: material that is appropriate for people as young as 13 years old.
Edited by Barmacral, 15 April 2012 - 11:45 AM.
Posted 21 January 2010 - 07:13 AM
This post will explain how to upload a picture to an image hosting website, and then how to make it your avatar/signature at DM.
First you need to find yourself a website to host the images. There are many sites to choose from, but Photobucket.com is free and easy, and it’s what most of us here at DM use, so that’s what you get for the tutorial. ;D
Go to http://www.photobucket.com/ and register an account. After you have registered, log into the site. When you have logged in, you should see the area below. Click Upload.
That will take you to a window like the one below. Click on "Select Photos and Videos".
A pop-up window will open and ask you to find the image from your computer that you wish to upload. Once you find it, simply select the image and click Open. When that pop-up window closes, click Upload.
Click on Save and continue to my album. This will take you directly to the images up have uploaded.
You should see the picture(s) you have uploaded and the link needed will be in the box below it.
For your AVATAR you will need the text in the Direct Link box (1st in the above image, but may be in a different order in your account). The avatar is the small image on the left, underneath your username here at DM.
For your SIGNATURE you will need the text in the IMG Code box (4th in the image above, but may be in a different order in your account). The signature is the image underneath each of your posts here at DM.
The next section will tell you what to do with the text from each of those boxes here at DM to make your chosen image appear.
Signature and Avatar Tutorial
First, log into the DM forums. You should already know how to do this. If you don’t, what are you doing reading this, anyway??
Go to the PROFILE tab and click onto the little arrow next to your username.
Then click on "My Settings"
Go to "Change Avatar"
Then you have an option to upload an image from your computer or to use a direct link from the internet. If uploading from your PC, click browse and then Open the image you want. If linking to Photobucket, use the link from the steps before (DIRECT LINK).
Save Changes. And you're sorted!
For a SIGNATURE, select "Change Signature" instead of "Change Avatar".
You’ll see the Signature area. Enter the IMG Code text from Photobucket into this box. You can also include text in this box that will appear above or below the signature image.
When you are finished entering your signature and/or avatar info, click "Save Changes".
Make sure both your signature and avatar images follow the size and content guidelines described here: http://www.dragonmou...Community/?p=47
Posted 25 January 2010 - 09:49 AM
In addition to avatars, you can also add a line of text above your avatar (your "Custom Title" - which is where I have "I'm not evil. Trust me") and a line of Personal Text below your avatar.
You can set and change these from your profile. Just click on "Profile" at the top of the board, and insert the text you want into the "Custom Title" or "Personal Text" boxes.
Edited by Liitha, 08 August 2011 - 10:48 AM.
Posted 16 September 2010 - 11:10 PM