DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

how can Aiel be Darkfriends?

ROB_88

wouldn't that be the ultimate toh?

in the Wetlands alot of people choose to work for the Dark Lord cause they want money, power, eternal life etc. but Aiel usually don't consider that since they have a whole different outlook at life.

so far the only Darkfriend Aiel we've seen has been Shaido and they were known for disregarding the customs even before they went past the Dragonwall. could that have something to do with it?

i'm just trying to figure out what they would think to justify betraying everything they stand for

Every culture in randland is susceptible to the DO.

-Look at  Ingtar. He was a darkfriend who fought trollocs, (kind of a huge contradiction?), he would have fought at Tarwins Gap if he could have.

All people are taught/shown right from wrong, its up to them to decide to choose.

As for the Aiel if they were a DF then its plausible to assume they do not follow ji'e'toh.

Alternatively to Vulgir's answer, an Aiel Darkfriend may still follow ji'e'toh, especially because all Aiel society is based upon it; however, an Aiel may feel their greatest toh is to the Dark One, and therefore comes before all other obligations (i.e. sept, society, and clan, etc).

Obviously, they place their oath to the GLotD higher, and yes, abandon their honor.

I believe they still follow ji'e'toh. They have to.

Look at AS or Ingtar. They do not wear signs for people to know who they are.

They continue being who they are, and then just further the my The Shadow's plans when needed.

Damn...Just saw Leatehrleaf's reply... :P

Anyways...I think it is possible to have a lot of DF from the Aiel.

Despite their reputations, Aeil are just as human as the rest of Randland, and are suceptable to greed, power, and personal gain just as others are.

On a similar note, even Whitecloaks are susceptable to the ambitions of serving the dark, and they're all sworn to oppose the DO.

its possible - especially considering most of the Dark friends aren't stereotypically evil and in some cases signed up to the Dark One because they didn't expect the last battle to come in their lifetime

also, most Darkfriends have a warped perception of the world or for example, warped logic in the case of Ishmael

in this case, i'm thinking along the lines of a warped sense of honor, or an Aiel seeking glory in battle which they can only achieve fighting for the Dark one

In the case of the Aiel, I'm more inclined to think that they may choose to follow the dark one for the idea that it probably seems easier.

There is an incredible amount of pressure put on Aiel through Ji'e'toh, and very little reward other than personal satisfaction.  It's not likely that every Aiel born wants to deal with it, and may want to seek a (seemingly) easier way; serve the DO and get rewarded by your obedience, rather than being at the mercy of how Clan Chiefs or Wise One's may interpret their code of honor and obligation.

I am personally quite impressed with the shadows ability to infiltrate groups that are supposedly dedicated to stopping it; ie AS and Whitecloaks.

You would think these groups to have at least a lower percentage of DFs than the common people but it seems to be quite a bit higher.

The only immune group so far seems to be those darn stubborn TRs folk.

I am personally quite impressed with the shadows ability to infiltrate groups that are supposedly dedicated to stopping it; ie AS and Whitecloaks.

You would think these groups to have at least a lower percentage of DFs than the common people but it seems to be quite a bit higher.

It only seems to be a higher percentage, as the narrative focuses on influential groups like these alot more than, say, the fly-speck villager demographic.

But one would expect it to be higher anyway, for AS and COL have powerful positions, they control armies and the general populations near their power bases, by fear and other means. The point is the Dark is likely to focus on securing Darkfriends from these groups as they can then make large parts of the world dance to their tunes. Or just sow widespread chaos.

Yep, them wool-headed super archer sheppherders are noctophobic xD

Or, on a serious note, they are too out of the way, have very litle world influence, and the populations are just too small for the Dark to give a three-legged donkey abou them

Firstly, Cenn is a DF imo. :P

Also, those groups dedicated to oppsing the Shadow make it easier to infiltrate.

The DO knows where is enemy is, and he can easily get people to join.

Which would you try:

Try and establish agents all over the world (which he already does to some extent)?

OR, get people to infiltrate a small group (approximately 1,000)?

Only one person besides Cadsuane knew the location of the male a'dam...

that can be explained away by Semi realizing that caddy was in charge among the AS and thus wouldve kept it around

and the people dedicated to war and its applications are more susceptable because things go bad and in desparation they will turn to a prominate force which may help them

• 2 weeks later...

Aiel can be darkfiends if they have toh to another darkfiend. Sometimes, the aiel beleive the only way to meet toh is to become gaishain and what if while gaishain they must serve a darkfiend. Herego, gaishain=servant+darkfiendmaster=darkfiend servant :-X

Aiel can be darkfiends if they have toh to another darkfiend. Sometimes, the aiel beleive the only way to meet toh is to become gaishain and what if while gaishain they must serve a darkfiend. Herego, gaishain=servant+darkfiendmaster=darkfiend servant :-X

I would almost wonder that if they discovered that the person they had toh to was a darkfriend what they could do about it

I would almost wonder that if they discovered that the person they had toh to was a darkfriend what they could do about it

They would kill the Darkfriend and shun the very memory of that individual. We learn this from what Aviendha tells Mat after Melindhra tries to kill him in tFoH.

While I dont't discount the possibility of Aile DF, I can see how this group could be free of the pest.  Through out the books we see DF PoVs and their main reason for turning has not only been power, but immortality.  The Aile care less about immortality, they see life as a dream that everyone wakes up from.

Remember some Aiel tried to assassinate Mat - they used a Gateway that opened right next to his tent. This was in LOC. The only people who had Gateways at this time were Rand and the Forsaken (and Taim). So were these Aiel darkfriends carrying out the work of a Forsaken? It is a possibility.

Can Aiel who are gai'shain be darkfriends (or at least do active Shadow missions while wearing white)?

Archived