DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Ask A Simple Question, Get a Simple Answer (No AMoL Spoilers)

Luckers

So even if Cadsuane's potential lifespan has been halved/oaths, she doesn't really need to resort to necromancy at this point to extend her life.

I'm not sure I get what you're saying. We know modern AS rarely live for more than 300 years. Hence, Cads may very well die of natural causes in the near future.

Perhaps he meant the method to extend her life would be to remove the Oaths. It would depend on whether the age limiting effects of the Rod are accumulative or punitive. If being bound ages you faster or damages the body in some way (which the early development of white hair suggests) then being unbound wouldn't necessarily give you back what the Oath Rod took--though given Sharina's de-ageing, it's supported that someone can grow younger again.

If the Oath Rod on the other hand just ends your life at a certain point, maybe say as a form of punishment for your crime, then undoing the Oaths might well undo the damage--the Age of Legenders don't seem the type to use a form of irreversible punishment. It's clear based on the fact that Balthamel escaped being bound that their criminal system wasn't perfect and they would prepare for false convictions if their otherwise altruistic society is anything to go by.

Why do the Aiel insist on addressing the Wetlanders with their full names and they consider it rude when Wetlanders address each other with just their first names, yet the Aiel themselves don't have last names? How did they develop this taboo when they don't even have last names?

Why do the Aiel insist on addressing the Wetlanders with their full names and they consider it rude when Wetlanders address each other with just their first names, yet the Aiel themselves don't have last names? How did they develop this taboo when they don't even have last names?

An Aiel name is the whole name. Think in terms of shortening 'Aviendha' to 'Avi' rather than in terms of shortening 'Rand al'Thor' to 'Rand'.

Hi a newbie here.

I've been wondering a problem about Tuathan. If they are actually the same people as the Aiel why are they so different in apperance? Somehow i don't believe that 3000 years would have destroyed so striking feature as height or coloring of the aiel.

Also what happens to tuathan female chanellers?

Red hair and blue eyes are recessive traits. 3000 years of interbreeding with non-Aiel who joined them would certainly be enough to make them resemble the larger population. And height is to a great degree about nutrition... it's kind of unrealistic that people living in a wasteland would be that tall, but whatever Jordan wanted, I guess. As for channelers:

“Take a care, Seeker. Their safety comes at a price, and some of their laws are harsh. You know what they do with women who can channel?”

“Thank you for your concern, my Lord,” the man said calmly, “but few of our women ever begin channeling, and if one does, we will do as we always do and take her to Tar Valon.”

Aisling Noon is one example of a Tinker Aes Sedai. Edited by moratcorlm

Is there any indication that new threads are woven into the pattern, not merely recycled ones?

You could say that New Threads itself is an indication but it would be debatable. I think there's more evidence for the position that the Creator created all the threads at once and no actual new ones have been inserted since then.

• 3 weeks later...

Quick question that may have been asked 100 times before:

A Domani razor (the horse that Matt gave Tuon) is described in a way that sounds a lot like a zebra. Is it, in fact, a zebra? Are zebras very fast?

No, it is not a zebra. RJ mentioned that he took the description from a horse he had once seen, so it is an existing look.

Mentioned in LoC ch 26, apparently an inn in Caemlyn.

It's possible they did, but it's never been mentioned other than that possible reference. Maybe they play a similar game in the third age that involves balls and hoops. I know there's references to bowling every once in a while.

Maybe they played quidditch...

On that note, is there a word for a WoT "Muggle"? I feel there really ought to be. Also what are users of the OP called? Channelers doesn't seem clear enough...

Hope I'm not simply blanking on the super-obvious, forgive this fool if he is. :blush:

Maybe they played quidditch...

On that note, is there a word for a WoT "Muggle"? I feel there really ought to be.

That's a good idea actually. You'd have thought the WoT fandom would have thought up something snappier than "non-chanellers" after all these years.

two quick questions here. couldn't immediatly find another topic to post these.

Today I was re-reading chapter 20 of CoT, Egwene has one of here dreams again. something about a woman running down a cliff and saving Eggy. She thinks it's a Seanchan woman who will save her and that together with that woman she would be able to do anything, anything in the world. -- now now, might this be something still to happen as of aMoL? something about an alliance between Tuon and Eggy? or something to do with Tylee? since in the dream the woman carried a sword. Ideas, thoughts? Has this already been discussed somewhere?

secondly, can anyone explain to me what Alviarin did exactly on Tremalkin? (chapter 21,or 22, also CoT.)Probably something to do with the mass suicidewave happening there later on, thoughts?

now now, might this be something still to happen as of aMoL? something about an alliance between Tuon and Eggy? or something to do with Tylee? since in the dream the woman carried a sword. Ideas, thoughts? Has this already been discussed somewhere?

Indeed, Brandon's confirmed that this Dream has yet to be fulfilled. Tuon and Tylee are both strong competitors in discussions I've read, along with Leilwin. I don't know if I can find a specific place where that's been discussed, but if you search for these three names, I'm sure something'll come up.

Don't want to look it up and can't remember - when and where did Matt get the foxhead medallion?

book 4 TSR, after going true the portal in Rhuidean, don't know what chapter exactly. Whan Rand finds Mat hanging by his ashandarei the Medallion hangs there to.