DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Reading LOC (for the first time)

chris777

I actually had a whole post typed out aside from 'Nynaeve' gets better, but I was typing on my cell phone at the time and things got messed up.

Keep in mind that Elayne, Nynaeve, and Egwene are still very young despite their prominence, and they've spent some time in a very feminist culture (the White Tower), and I think the tongue-in-cheek attitudes of the 'elders' from home tended to rub off on them in a more serious manner. With many of the older women it almost seems like there's a fondness in their chiding of men, and men the same way, they're a bit wiser.

Also, Nynaeve was basically pit against the Village Council early and never really had a father figure.

I think the girl's POVs tend to skew the reality of the gender roles in this world. For the most part it is gender-equal, if not gender neutral.

Dang it! Now you've gone and made me think, lol. You make a good point. Because of her gift for healing and the cultural beliefs of the villagers, Nynaeve was given a lot of power over even adults in the village from a very young age. In real life, as well, this would most likely lead to incorrigibility, at least.

Responsibility too young causes early maturity but ridden with control issues; power too young causes delayed maturity, incorrigibility,confusion, depression,anger issues, etc...

Of course, this is not a complete list and everyone is different, however, for the majority it tends to hold true.

Archived