DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Of Nobles, Illianers and the Tower [Attn Rytali and MoN]

DarthRand

Dyrum couldn’t help but gape as her small party of three, led by the Aes Sedai Meraila Covan of the Blue Ajah, crossed the marvelous white bridge spanning the river between the mainland and the magnificent island city of Tar Valon. It had been a long and arduous journey; Dyrum wasn’t accustomed to such hardships as riding all day and sleeping in the wilderness if there was not an inn handy. However, every time she voiced her concern, either Meraila Sedai or her Warder, Jowan would give the girl a single look, but say nothing on the matter. Dyrum had learned quickly that her temper had no effect on these people, considering how disastrous her first attempt had been. The young girl blushed abruptly at the memory of being suddenly yanked up into the air and flipped upside down, hanging until her temper had burned itself out from embarrassment.

After that incident, Dyrum had been content to remain petulant rather than combative, though the mood never lasted long, as inevitably her curiosity would win out, and she would begin asking questions of the couple. Mostly these questions were directed to Meraila Sedai, but a few made their way to Jowan Gaidin as well, such as how he managed to move through the autumn forest without making a sound. The majority of Dyrum’s questions revolved around life at the Tower rather than actual use of the One Power, and Meraila Sedai answered them all with the same cool dignity she had displayed in Cairhien. Of course, the Aes Sedai had her own agenda, and took it upon herself to begin teaching Dyrum the very basics of the Power, mostly theory rather than practice. By the time they reached the Tower, Dyrum had learned about the Five Powers or elements that made up the One, as well as the basic concept behind embracing saidar, though she hadn’t been able to actually do it, despite days of Meraila Sedai working with her on it.

All those minor lessons were forgotten now as the young Cairhienin noble gaped in awe at the Ogier-crafted city. White stone buildings seemed to almost come to life, so masterful was the masonry, where one row of buildings suggested flowing water, others a growing tree, the sight took away the girl’s breath. But most magnificent of all, and the trio’s destination, was the White Tower. Visible from many miles distant, the massive yet graceful ivory spire rose like a majestic empress overseeing her domain, which just so happened to encompass the entire world. Dyrum could feel her heart quicken at the thought of living and studying within such an amazing structure, to be respected worldwide.

As they reached the gates, Meraila Sedai and Jowan dismounted, Dyrum following suit soon after. Here Meraila turned to the young girl and nodded. “Here is where our ways part for now. I have other business to attend to, and cannot supervise your every day of training. Go through these gates and into the Tower’s lobby. There you will ask for an audience with the Mistress of Novices. She will take care of you from there.”

Dyrum’s jaw dropped, and she could feel a tantrum brewing within her. One look into Meraila Sedai’s cool eyes and that ageless face that Dyrum still found slightly unnerving convinced the girl otherwise. The only Alede child simply gulped and nodded, turning to the gates, trying her hardest to look as serene and calm as Meraila Sedai always did, though she could feel her stomach aflutter with nervousness.  Dyrum looked over her shoulder only once before she was in the gates, and just as she was reaching the Tower’s main doors, she heard another voice call out, this one younger than the Aes Sedai’s, causing the young noble to turn completely around and appraise her addressor.

As soon as she passed through the gates to the enormous White Tower grounds, Rytali was alone.  And it terrified her.  True, the journey had not been extremely pleasant.  Weeks upon weeks of sitting on ship and riverboat with practically nothing drove her nearly out of her mind.  And Daera, Grenna Sedai's aged attendant, had not made the journey much easier, insisting that Rytali study about the ways of the Tower.  Well, she had certainly done that, and had read and re-read every book her father had let her take with her.

Her female company had just now deserted her, dropping her off at the Tower, Daera's errand complete.  Rytali wished at least the Aes Sedai had been able to accompany her herself.  But the lady had been busy with her work in Illian, so Rytali had been stuck with the attendant.  Not that Daera was an unpleasant woman, but she was aging and snored at nights.

Now she was by herself, and it was up to her to find out where she needed to go.  She needed to meet with the Mistress of Novices, she knew that much, but she was not given a map of the Tower, or else she probably would have been able to find the Mistress with no problem.

Glancing around at her surroundings for clues, Rytali observed an Aes Sedai and her Warder leading the way, with a short girl who looked not unlike  herself, with dark brown hair tied in a pony-tail.  The girl was paler skinned, and from what Rytali had read about nationalities, she would have guessed the woman was either Andoran or Cairhienin. 

Rytali found herself following this trio farther in, until the girl was similarly dropped off in front of the Tower proper.  Rytali took a moment to stare up at the enormous structure.  They didn't have anything nearly as grand in Illian.  The Hall of the Council of Nine was a mere pile of rocks compared to the White Tower.  But a city was a city, no matter how amazing some of the buildings looked.  It was serve her no purpose gawking like a tourist.

As the other girl made her way in, Rytali called after her, hoping that she knew where to go.

"Do excuse me!" she began, trying to speak loudly in her most polite tone of voice, "Might you know where the Mistress of Novices do be?"

Dyrum eyed the newcomer girl up and down silently, wincing slightly as the accent grated on her ears. Where under the Light did the girl learn to speak like that? The young Cairhienin shook her head, almost sadly. "If you're asking me where the Mistress of Novices is, I don't know. I was simply told to go inside and ask for her." Dyrum eyed the other girl's clothing with a little more scrutiny. It seemed to have held up well so far, but it was hardly as fine as the wonderful green silk dress embroidered with gold vines Dyrum's mother had given her for the journey. The young noble sighed. "And besides, my dear, I think you are mistaken. The Aes Sedai would never let riff-raff such as you into the Tower."

Dyrum quirked her mouth in a frown, as if considering her statement. "Actually, they might let you in as a servant or something." She narrowed her eyes, "You'd certainly have to get rid of that awful accent and learn to speak like a proper, civilized woman. Still from what I understand, the Mistress of Novices sees all who are new to the Tower, even the...servants. Come along, I'd hate for you to get lost." Dyrum smiled, truly thinking herself charitable as she turned and entered the main Tower.

The inside of the structure was every bit as amazing as the exterior, with vaulted ceilings and beautiful tapestries, it was enough to make the Alede manor look like a commoner's farm. Not that Dyrum had the slightest idea what the inside of a commoner's farm looked like of course. Glancing behind her to see if that other girl had followed her, she gave a slight sniff before taking in the rest of the room. There were women in commoner's rags and noble's regalia standing shoulder to shoulder, apparently all wishing to speak with an Aes Sedai for advice on disputes or other nonsense. Interspersed among these ran younger girls, though some were certainly older than Dyrum herself, clad in simple white dresses, some of the older ones had banded hems in seven colors on their dresses. Dyrum admired these latter, such simple clothing and yet so elegant at the same time!

Regaining her composure, she was a noble's daughter after all, not some country bumpkin, Dyrum strode directly to a young woman with the banded hem on her dress who stood behind a small podium, ignoring the line of women in front, much to their indignation. Dyrum ignored them. They were commoners most of them, and even if they weren't, Dyrum doubted if any of them were actually going to join the Tower. They were too old by half for sure. The young woman at the podium raised her eyebrows as Dyrum spoke, "I am Dyrum Alede, here to see the Mistress of Novices."

The young woman smiled. "That's nice, but you'll need to wait in line." She pointed back, to where the line began a good twenty or thirty people back." Dyrum scoffed, and stamped her foot. "I will not be dismissed like some...some...commoner! I demand that you ta-." Her sentence was cut short by a hard ball of...something...being forced into her mouth. The young woman in the banded dress smiled smugly. "You will go to the end of the line, and you will wait your turn. Just like everyone else." The hard ball faded, leaving Dyrum with a scowl on her face as she stalked to the end of the line. The nerve of some people! Surely not all in the Tower were so ignorant of the proper treatment of a noble's daughter! Oh, Dyrum fervently hoped that girl got the punishment she deserved....

Rytali flinched as the other girl, garbed in a lovely green silk dress, began to berate her for being a commoner.  Rytali had thought, from what Daera and Grenna Sedai had told her, that class differences were ideally put aside at the Tower.  This girl did not seem to have heard the same thing, however.  She was a Cairhienin by her accent, and what was worse, she was nobleborn too.

Rytali already knew the correct way how to deal with bratty noble girls, however.  Be quiet unless spoken to, and appear humble if possible.  Though at the Tower, they should be equals, shouldn't they? If Tower training was anything like what she had been told ---full of chores and extra labor as menial punishment for any wrongdoings--- she suspected she might have an easier time staying out of trouble than this one.

Saying nothing, not wanting to draw the girl into some sort of argument, Ryta followed the girl into the Tower, where she immediately saw a long line of women with their petitions.  Instinctively, she went straight to the line and waited.  Even if this was the wrong line, at least she would probably find out where to go at the end of it.

The other girl seemed not to sense that, however, and stormed right up to the front of the line, demanding to be allowed to talk with the Mistress of Novices that instant.  As she started arguing with the woman at the head of the line, Rytali suppressed the urge to laugh loudly.  Apparently the woman in the banded dress, an Accepted she thought, had no trouble in putting the girl back to the end of the line.

As Rytali met the eyes of the angry and abashed Cairhienin girl as she stood in line behind her, Rytali giggled, trying unsuccessfully to stifle it.  The Cairhienin glared at her, but for once Rytali managed the courage to say something.

"What be the matter?  You did no see the line?" she teased.

Dyrum fumed as she was sent tidily to the back of the line, giving the Illian girl a withering glare as she passed, taking up a spot immediately behind the other girl. "Of course I saw the line," Dyrum snapped, keeping her voice low. Not out of fear of being gagged again, no surely that was not it. This commoner simply didn't deserve the amount of attention Dyrum would be giving her by shouting. "Lines, however, are for commonfolk, like yourself." Dyrum pointedly ignored the other nobles standing further up in the line, surely they were simply more commoners dressed up in an attempt to look noble. Of course, that must be it.

Dyrum sniffed, turning her glare to the woman in the banded dress behind the podium. Meraila Sedai had told her of the rankings within the Tower of course. Novices, the girls in white, were at the bottom. Above them were the Accepted, who wore the banded hem, with the Aes Sedai taking the head, although even full sisters had ranks within themselves. But surely being of noble blood counted for something? Dyrum just couldn't fathom how the White Tower, bastion of civilization according to Meraila Sedai, could be as respected as it was if it allowed commoners to boss nobles around. It was just backwards!

The young noble shook her head, fixing the Accepted's face in her brain. There would be a punishment for that one, Dyrum would make sure of it. Sighing, Dyrum figured she'd best make what she could of this situation. Turning back to the Illianer girl in front of her, Dyrum sniffed. "You never did introduce yourself. It's quite rude for a commoner not to introduce themselves to a noble, especially with as long as you've been standing there laughing at me." Dyrum did not offer an introduction herself of course, it was beneath her to introduce herself first to a commoner. Perhaps after she had this girl's name....

"Of course I saw the line.  Lines, however, are for commonfolk, like yourself."

Rytali wondered why the Wheel willed this arrogant brat to meet her this day, but didn't care to say anything back to that, the moment still being quite hilarious to her.  There were women that appeared to be nobles in the line just the same as commoners; it was as if this girl did not want to acknowledge that.  They would see once they got to the head of the line.  An amused smile still glued to her face, Ryta moved forward slowly but surely, while glancing back at the Cairhienin from time to time.  Odd, they still did not know each others' names.  The woman was well dressed, obviously, but she wasn't carrying around too much.  The only other thing she had in her possession of note was a small case.  What was that?  Some musical instrument?  Rytali wished she knew how to play a harp or dulcimer, or any instrument really like a flute.  Yes, maybe it was a flute.

The girl asked her a question, or rather, blamed her for them not being acquainted.  Why would Rytali want to be acquainted with this person who thought she could push her around?

"You never did introduce yourself. It's quite rude for a commoner not to introduce themselves to a noble, especially with as long as you've been standing there laughing at me."

Rytali ignored the class insult.  She was fairly used to them; noblewomen had often shrieked at her and other servants for not having cleaned their rooms the precise way they wanted but did not state, or having washed certain clothes that were not meant to be scrubbed so harshly.

"My name be Rytali. Rytali Basim. What about yours?" Rytali asked.  If this flaming brat of a girl decided to refuse giving her name back, Rytali was half tempted to slap her here and now, noble or not.

Dyrum nodded sharply as Rytali introduced herself, as if she perfectly expected such a name. Her slightly content smile faltered a bit as Rytali forwarded a question herself. Of course, Dyrum would have given her own name in time, but it would have been her own time. Besides that, a commoner had no place asking questions of a noble, period. Dyrum sniffed, though with less force than she could have. "I am Dyrum Alede, first and only child of the Aledes, in Cairhien. You are from Illian? It's the only place I could think of where that horrid accent could have originated."

The young Cairhienin shrugged and waved her hand in a dismissive gesture, bringing it to rest lightly on the leather scrip worn over her shoulder. Inside rested her flute, delicately crafted by one of the best craftsmen in all of Cairhein. She really would like to simply break it out and play a tune or two, but things of such beauty were not meant for common ears. Even Meraila Sedai had only heard her play occasionally during the trip to Tar Valon. Dyrum frowned, returning her gaze to the Accepted at the steadily approaching front of the line, her dark eyes hardening into a glare. She sniffed slightly, muttering under her breath, wishing she actually knew words harsh enough for that woman.

The rest of the wait was mostly spent in silence. Or at least, if Rytali spoke, Dyrum either didn't hear or chose to ignore her. When finally they reached the front of the line the noble had to restrain herself from jumping in front of the commoner, only the thought of a repeat of the gag incident, and being forced to the back of the line again stayed her. Rytali gave her name and stepped aside, leaving the Accepted open as Dyrum strode up confidently, mustering all of her poise and composure. "Dyrum Alede, to see the Mistress of Novices," she said, giving another sniff to indicate her exact feelings towards that particular Accepted. The woman in the banded dress chuckled. "Very well, stand over with the other one, be quiet, and someone will be along to fetch you." Dyrum nearly gave her a good piece of her mind, but thought better of it, fuming beside Rytali. Honestly, the nerve! Sending someone to fetch a noble, as if Dyrum were just some other serving girl!

"I am Dyrum Alede, first and only child of the Aledes, in Cairhien. You are from Illian? It's the only place I could think of where that horrid accent could have originated."

Rytali hesitated, half tempted to argue that Cairhienin accents were hardly better.  Instead, she muttered, "Well met, Dyrum" and shut her mouth at the girl's dismissive gesture.

When Rytali thought she could no longer tolerate Dyrum's impatient and arrogant aura, she finally reached the Accepted.  The young woman looked at her, probably hoping that she would be less trouble than Dyrum behind her.

"Rytali Basim, I do request an appointment with the Mistress of Novices.  Thank you," she said simply, and stepped aside, waiting again.

Please do no let them send me with her, please do no... she wished fervently, but it was all for nothing.  Sure enough, Dyrum stood there again, fuming, as if she was expecting to already be a full Aes Sedai by now.

"They do seem rather busy here." Rytali commented, though Dyrum did not seem to want to respond to her attempt at a conversation.  Rytali tried again, gesturing to the case.

"Be that an instrument, Dyrum?  Of what sort, if I may ask?  An oboe? A flute?  Might I hear you play some time?"  Rytali loved listening to music, even if she did not have the talent to play anything herself.

After Dyrum replied, somewhat impertinently, Rytali felt sorry that she asked.  After a few more minutes of waiting, another Accepted with a banded dress came their way.

"You are both here to see the Mistress of Novices, yes?  Come along with me, please." she said in what Rytali thought might be a Taraboner accent.

Nodding, Rytali thanked her and followed quickly on her heels, Dyrum behind her.  They turned into one of the wings, climbed a couple flights of stairs, and crossed a long hallway until they reached a door.

"The Mistress of Novices." the Accepted announced to them, and left them there.

Rytali hesitated, afraid of meeting this woman who would practically be in charge of her for years hence.  She wondered why she had ever listened to that Aes Sedai back in Illian.  If she had not believed her and known that Aes Sedai never lie, Rytali would still be safe with her family nearby and have an ordinary, common, boring life.

An idea occurred to her as she turned to Dyrum, looking impatient but not about to cut in front of Rytali.  She imagined that anyone coming in after Dyrum would look better in the Mistress's eyes.  Doing a slight curtsey to acknowledge Dyrum's noble birth, Rytali gestured to the door.

"If you do please, you may go first, Dyrum Alede.  I be quite content with waiting out here."  Truth be told, she was extremely nervous and didn't want to go in alone.

Pia's eyes were trained on the smooth polished wood of the door to her office, her brow furrowed. Anyone with ears and common sense could tell that there were people waiting outside, though no one had yet knocked. It was not yelling she could hear, but it did not sound like a friendly and polite conversation. Perhaps it was novices, sent to her for punishment, trying to talk their way out of trouble? If so, they should know well enough to not dally and face their dues.

Long, slim fingers drummed lightly on the immaculate desktop as she waited for the inevitable knock. The report she had been perusing had since been placed aside, perfectly lined up with the straight edges. Pia liked neatness, and order. And she preferred he novices to face their punishments and learn from them, instead of trying to wriggle their way around them. What were they doing out there? Pia's time was valuable, and she would not waste a minute longer waiting for the feminine voices to silence. Exhaling with an irritated hiss, she rose and moved to the door.

Swinging the door open without preamble, Pia found herself face to face with two young girls that were clearly involved in some sort of squabble. They were not in novice white, but Pia would have known regardless that they were none of her charges. Undisciplined, and gaping now that they at last registered her presence. "Aes Sedai deserve your respect, children. You should greet me with a curtsey," she admonished in a soft voice, her features smooth though her eyes were hard with irritation. Waiting while both dropped a belated curtsey, Pia stepped back and waved them into her office, closing the door behind her with an ominous click. If they were to be new novices, they were not off to a good start.

Pia moved behind her desk and sat, though she did not offer either of the girls the same comfort, instead letting them stand side by side before her desk, though neither seemed thrilled about the arrangement. "I am Pia Tovisen, and I am the Mistress of Novices. I presume you have a reason to be bickering outside my door, unaccompanied in the tower?" Pia arched a dark brow and waited for the first to be brave enough to speak.

Pia Tovisen, MoN

Dyrum tapped her foot lightly against the stone floor as she waited, still fuming at the way that fool Accepted had treated someone of obviously noble blood. She winced at Rytali’s first attempt at conversation, honestly, someone should teach that woman to speak properly rather than like a sailor. The Illianer’s second attempt proved successful, if only marginally. As the woman mentioned Dyrum’s case, the Cairhienin hugged it slightly closer to her body, as if she feared theft  in the White Tower. “Yes, it is a flute in fact. I’ve been playing for a few years now, taught by a court bard, if you’d know.” Dyrum sniffed as the girl mentioned hearing her play some time, eyeing Rytali up and down once more before smiling. “I’m sorry, I would love to, but I don’t think you have the right…tastes, to truly appreciate my playing.”

Before she could speak further, another Accepted, this one with hair the color of honey bound in many tiny braids and slightly tanned skin, approached them. “You are both here to see the Mistress of Novices, yes? Come along with me, please.” Dyrum sniffed, but kept her mouth shut. At least she had the common decency to say please, the young noble thought to herself as she followed the Accepted, making sure to stay just a step ahead of Rytali. As Dyrum walked, she thought. Perhaps I should let Rytali go in first. After all, she is a servant, and likely her meeting will be brief, leaving more time for the Mistress to spend with an actual student. Dyrum smiled slyly at her deduction, and before she knew it, the trio of girls was standing in front of an office. The Accepted merely said, “The Mistress of Novices,” leaving the Illianer and Cairhienin alone.

"If you do please, you may go first, Dyrum Alede.  I be quite content with waiting out here,” the Illianer girl said tentatively. Dyrum sniffed. The girl had the gall to speak to Dyrum without being spoken to again! The Cairhienin smiled, doing her best to appear friendly in the midst of such an insufferable, insolent girl. “That’s kind of you dear, but I really think your business will be quicker. A quick assignment to the servant’s quarters and that’s that. Real initiates take more time.”

Of course the fool girl protested, but Dyrum refused to be swayed, until, without warning, the oak door swung open, producing the unmistakable ageless face of a full Aes Sedai. The sister regarded them both with cold eyes. Dyrum’s jaw dropped, and the Aes Sedai chose that moment to pounce. “Aes Sedai deserve your respect, children,” she said, “you should greet me with a curtsey.” Dyrum’s eyes bugged slightly, but she did her best to curtsey. Hers was shallow and clumsy, after all, who would she have curtseyed to back home? The Illianer girl’s was far more graceful,  irking Dyrum’s temper for the moment, though there was no time to act before the Aes Sedai waved them both into her office.

Light, Dyrum thought, she intends me to attend a servant’s business, and a servant to see the business of Aes Sedai? She shook her head barely in shock, but followed, the door clicking behind them with a click as the Aes Sedai glided over and took a seat behind her solid desk, the papers neatly arranged with near-perfect precision. "I am Pia Tovisen,”the woman said, “and I am the Mistress of Novices. I presume you have a reason to be bickering outside my door, unaccompanied in the tower?"

Dyrum drew in a deep breath that seemed to take minutes rather than heartbeats before stepping forward slightly. Giving a withering glance to Rytali, Dyrum returned her gaze to the Mistress of Novice as she spoke. “What this…commoner, is here for, I couldn’t say, Aes Sedai. Perhaps she wishes a place with the servants. I, however, am Dyrum Alede, first and only daughter of the Alede family of Cairhien, and I have come to become an Aes Sedai myself.” She finished the statement proudly, beaming at the Mistress of Novices while pointedly ignoring the young girl that stood at her side.

Rytali protested vehemently, trying to politely pound into this dense noblegirl's head that she was here to train to be an Aes Sedai too!  But their arguing brought the attention of the Mistress of Novices, rather sooner than Ryta expected.  As soon as Pia Tovisen mentioned curtsying, Rytali blushed and dropped into as elegant a curtsy as she knew how.  She was almost surprised that Dyrum's curtsy did not seem anywhere near as good as hers, but she supposed that this noble had spent a little too much time being curtsied to to learn how to do it properly.  She silently entered the room with Dyrum, who wasted no time in impatiently stating her business and berating Rytali's.  Rytali shot Dyrum a glare but stopped herself, not daring to say anything rude in front of someone so important.  Light, this was the Mistress of Novices!  She had to make the best impression possible.

After Dyrum had announced herself, the Mistress of Novices eyes turned to Rytali.  She cleared her throat, trying to ignore Dyrum's presence and nervously added.

"Rytali Basim, at your service.  I do also be here to train at the White Tower.  To become an Aes Sedai, if it do please you, Mistress Pia." she added with another curtsy to be extra polite, making it painfully obvious to Dyrum why she was really here.  She kept her eyes down as servants were supposed to, averted from the Mistress's stern gaze.

Pia felt tension build in her shoulders but she gave no outward sign of it as Dyrum spoke. Such arrogance! Did she think she was the only nobly born girl to ever enter the tower? Her days would be tough, Pia knew from experience. She would be forced to bend her stubborn neck and learn humility or she would never attain the ring, let alone the shawl of Aes Sedai.

Deliberately maintaining her silence, so that Dyrum may stew for a few moments, Pia turned her dark eyed gaze to the other girl before her. A commoner? All were the same once they were in novice white. It was always those with more humble beginnings that had an easier time of adjusting. And an Illianer, like herself, though Pia's accent was all but gone, save for when she was particularly overset. Pia favoured Rytali with a warm smile. Let her know she was no lesser now, and Dyrum no greater. They would study together, eat together, do chores together, and Pia decided on the spot they would also sleep together in the same room.

"So you are both to become novices," Pia allowed her smile to also rest on Dyrum. "I assume you have both been tested?" Both confirmed this, and Pia waved them to seat themselves in the wooden chairs in front of her desk. Pia withdrew a heavy leather tome from a drawer and set it on the desk with great care, unconsciously squaring it to align with the desk. The book was old, as old as the tower itself, and kept with a weave to preserve it. Pia looked through the old record of novices on occasion, perusing the names of legends and their humble beginnings. He own name was in there, next to her older sister, though the record was close to two hundred years old now, her sister lost in the arches for almost the same time frame.

"This is the book of Novices, all who come to train are recorded in this book, and yes, that includes me." Pia carefully turned the pages until she came to the most recent entry, then dipped a pen and held it poised to write. "Please state for the record your names, ages, and place of birth." The pen scratched softly over the parchment as Pia scribed in her neat, flowing hand.

"Welcome to the White Tower, Novice Rytali and Novice Dyrum. As of now you are the same." She added softly, a smile playing at the corner of her mouth.

Pia Tovisen, MoN

Dyrum's temper flared as the Rytali girl stated that she also wished to learn at the Tower. How dare that commoner waste the Mistress of Novices' time with such nonsense. But if Rytali's statement was a shock, then the Mistress' reaction to it was a bolt of lightning from a clear blue sky. She was actually going to allow this common-born girl who couldn't even speak properly a chance to become Aes Sedai? The very idea was preposterous in Dyrum's mind. Still...it was only a chance. Dyrum sniffed, a small smile sliding across her face. Yes, of course anyone could try to become Aes Sedai, but surely Rytali would fail. She was a commoner, and Dyrum was her better tenfold.

Dyrum's thoughts of superiority were snapped back to reality when the Mistress of Novices spoke again. "I assume you have both been tested?" the Mistress asked. Dyrum nodded. "I was tested by Lady Meraila Covan Aes Sedai, Pia Sedai." The young noble smiled slyly. She knew how to address those who were clearly her betters, and any full Aes Sedai was above a noble...for now at least. Rytali stated that she had been tested as well, adding to Dyrum's consternation, though the young girl chose to ignore it for now. The Mistress waved them to sit, and Dyrum noticed the two oak chairs in front of the Aes Sedai's desk for the first time, seating herself in the left one, sitting up straight and prim, every bit the noble that she was, choosing to ignore the Illianer commoner entirely for the moment.

The Mistress of Novices opened a drawer in her desk, and brought forth a massive leather-bound book, setting it on her desk with a heavy thump. Even the book ended up squared and ordered in accordance with everything else on the desk. "This is the book of Novices," Pia Sedai said, "all who come to train are recorded in this book, and yes, that includes me." She flipped through the pages of the massive book before coming to a stop, instructing the two girls before them to provide their information. Dyrum took the initiative once more. "Dyrum Meidan Alede, fourteen years of age, born on the Alede Manor in northern Cairhien." She smiled. Let the commoner match that.

Rytali smiled slightly back.  Was it just her, or did this Mistress of Novices also sound as if she were from Illian?  She didn't even sound that way when she talked, but something about the woman's familiar smile made Rytali feel a little more at home.

The Cairhienin's tense reaction beside her was enough to offset her feeling at ease, however.  Rytali was only a little relieved when Pia acknowledged her own claim, rather that dismissing it on account of her poorer cloth or upbringing.  The Mistress asked if they had been tested.  Rytali blinked.  Had there been a test?  Oh yes!  that strange moment when Grenna Sedai had asked her to focus on an object, and she had felt something briefly.  It was only for a moment, but apparently that was what had informed the Aes Sedai that she could learn to channel.  She added her own information after Dyrum curtly announced hers.

"I did be tested by Lady Grenna Sedai of the Gray Ajah, Mistress Pia...Sedai." she added a moment later.  Was she supposed to address the Mistress as such or as an Aes Sedai?  She was not certain.

Mistress Pia took out an enormous book, perhaps one of the largest Rytali had ever seen, including all of the tomes her father had in his possession.  She asked for their names and their information.  After again, letting Dyrum get hers over with, Rytali followed.

"Rytali Basim.  I be fifteen," she gave the younger girl a brief amused glance.  Hah! I do be older than you by a year! "from the city of Illian." she said simply.  At least, she was fairly sure she was fifteen, and she thought she had been born in Illian, or somewhere nearby.  She didn't mind giving her adopted family's name.  They had been so kind to her and deserved such recognition.  Ryta wondered if they were alright...She hoped they did not miss her too much.

Once Mistress Pia wrote down their names, she stated warmly,

"Welcome to the White Tower, Novice Rytali and Novice Dyrum. As of now you are the same."

Rytali smiled, glad that she would at least be given a chance here.  She added a nice curtsy and a shy,

"Thank you, Mistress Pia Sedai.  If I may ask, what must I do now?" she asked openly, wondering what one did first as a novice.  Would she be asked to do many chores to prove her mettle?  Would she be given classes for schooling?  Would she learn how to use the One Power, or did that come later?  Light, what room would she stay in and who would she room with?  The questions she could ask were overwhelming, but she nervously waited for the Mistress's reply.

(ooc: are we done with the thread?...)

Pia pondered her actions briefly after the door closed before her two newest novices, accompanied by an Accepted who was going to show them to their room. Pia had long ago learned to trust her instincts and discernment, and quickly dismissed any concern she may have felt. Placing the two opposites as roommates was a good choice, though likely would be tough on them. It would be good for their training, she deduced. If they could learn to live with each other, they would have trouble bending for even the most difficult Aes Sedai. Still Pia was almost certain it would take time, and many visits to her own office before the girls began to emulate what they were training to become. Particularly Dyrum, she noted dryly. The girl had the arrogance to rival any sitter, and there were very few that would show any patience for her manner, novices and Aes Sedai alike.

Still, there was much potential in the girl, Pia had sensed it. She could be great one day, as could Rytali. It was now Pia's job to ensure they were trained thoroughly so that one day they could attain the ring and shawl. The tower needed girls like these, no matter their beginnings. Soon enough the girls would learn that they were no longer a commoner and noble, but both children of the tower. Pia smiled to herself and turned her attention to a report on her desk. It had been a good day. Two novices in a month was a triumph, but two in one day was a rare joy.

~Pia Tovisen

Mistress of Novices