DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Signing questions and answers

JenniferL

Warning: Potential spoilers for the entire Mistborn Series, if you do not want to know, do not read ahead!

I was one of the Chicago Storm Leaders, and was able to ask some questions of Brandon before the signing itself, most everything was repeated at the signing at one point or another, except for one detail; Brandon mentioned a tidbit about Towers of Midnight.

There is a very small detail in books 4-6, not sure which one that will end up playing a huge role in Towers of Midnight (might end up being in amol, but pretty sure he said ToM). This is on a scale of Vin's earring in Mistborn, with how that was such a minor detail touched on in book one, and ended up being the key detail that saved the day in the end. That kind of small detail.

So, go nuts with your speculation folks.

Well, do we ever find out who gave Avhienda that necklace that shows up in book 5? I remember Rand wondering about it several times, but I don't recall the issue of who gave it to her ever being settled. I also do not recall her speaking of it since. I am almost certain we will be seeing a good deal of Avhienda in ToM as she has just set off for Rhuidean. I wonder if this will come into play there.

The other thing I can think of off the top of my head is Moiraine's thoughts about the Angreal she left for Lanfear near the Redstone Ter'Angreal. "Moiraine did not like that circle of carved age-dark ivory." Is this a normal Angreal or is there something different about it? We never do find out as both Lanfear and Moiraine disappear into Finnland.

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When was that??I thought he was getting his orders frm the "king"

In LOC, we don't actually see them speak but Graendel is told that Ituralde is there to see the Lady ____ (whatever name she was using).  It is clear that Iruralde did not know it was Graendel, but she is known to be very good with compulsion, and can be subtle when she needs, so who knows.

As I said over on the ReadAndFindOut site, I can only think of two "small details" that might become big.  One is the destroyed town that Rand and Asmodean saw high up in the mountains near Jangai Pass (Asmodean said that for all he knew, the ruins could be his old hometown (Shorelle?)). Maybe a record is found of a very powerful *angreal last seen in Shorelle and Rand goes back to the ruins to search for it. The second detail might involve all those *angreal in the plaza at Rhuidean. There were several described besides the CK statuettes.

So, with regards to the hidden detail in books 4-6.  Don't we have to assume that the thing/person/whatever that BS was referring to shows up first in book 4, but then shows up again in books 5 and 6?

So, that last post might be wrong, just because I don't think that village shows up more than one time.  Speaking of probably being wrong, but wanting to bring something up:

Maybe this has been mentioned, but Lanfear said to Rand in the Stone of Tear in the beginning of book four that there are two other sa'angreal made for a male that are as/more powerful than Callandor.  We know of the CK... What is the other one?  Maybe this is the key?

I have read that BS is quoted as saying that the taint is not the only reason that Rand manifested the voice of his past life, but would the Dragon always have memories of past lives?

Would LTT have heard a voice of his previous life when he went mad after the sealing of the bore?

Would it have required LTT's previous life to have gone mad in a similar way?

Is it safe to say Rand is better equipped to combat the shadow because he has memories from a past life partially caused by the taint?

I will have an opportunity to ask these questions myself, but if anybody happens to have any speculation or an opportunity to ask BS sooner... Anybody have any independent speculations?

So, with regards to the hidden detail in books 4-6.  Don't we have to assume that the thing/person/whatever that BS was referring to shows up first in book 4, but then shows up again in books 5 and 6?

Nope, he just saying that he's not sure which of the three books the detail is in.  It happens when you haven't read the series in a while.

I just returned from the Philadelphia Book Signing. Some interesting tidbits.

1. My friend asked about his favorite character, Padan Fain, wondering where he has been for the best three books. Sanderson he wanted to include him in TGS. He then said he 'may or may not have been' writing about him on the train ride on the way to the signing!! So, pretty much confirmation that Fain will be in book 13!!!! Where do you all think he is? My friend thinks he is posing as an agent from the DO and manipulating Taim in the BT.

2. I asked about the controversy over Graendal and if he thought it was obvious as to her fate when writing it. He said no, and he knew the community would debate it. He said he won't answer anything about her until the next book because she will be mentioned at least in some POV's.

3. I asked if Graendal were dead and had she killed Asmodean could he pop back up in Caemlyn. He said no. He said that Rand only took Rahvin out of the pattern for 15 minutes to an hour. So, even if the CK were 1000 times stronger than Rand with the fat man it would only be like 9 days at most.

4. More interesting, however, is that he said that we have not seen anyone who could burn someone out of the pattern that long, however, it was possible for someone to be that strong! -- Who or what could this be?

5. Moiraine is my favorite character. I told him to please not keep us waiting until AMOL for Moiraine. He said 'i can tell you she will be mentioned in the next book.' So this told me nothing.

6. I overheard someone asking about Rand at the end of the book. Sanderson said that Rand is going to begin to stabalize in the next book.

That's pretty much it. The Q&A was short. Mostly people asked about style and the writing process. Brandon seemed awesome. I really liked his speech about how he got to beging writing the books. It was touching. I fortunately did not get Mistborn spoiled for me. I am going to begin reading that this week!

• Community Administrator
4. More interesting, however, is that he said that we have not seen anyone who could burn someone out of the pattern that long, however, it was possible for someone to be that strong! -- Who or what could this be?

Uh no, no one is stronger than the choden kal, period. Even if you were to link all the channelers in the world together...

I believe what he was simply stating is that the amount of power from the CK alone, could only put someone back, 9 days at most... That it would take a power roughly 40x greater than the CK (or 40 CK's) combined, just to go back 1 year, and thats only assuming the 'power' and the 'time effected' is static, and doesn't increase exponentially...

Uh no, no one is stronger than the choden kal, period. Even if you were to link all the channelers in the world together...

I believe what he was simply stating is that the amount of power from the CK alone, could only put someone back, 9 days at most... That it would take a power roughly 40x greater than the CK (or 40 CK's) combined, just to go back 1 year, and thats only assuming the 'power' and the 'time effected' is static, and doesn't increase exponentially...

...and, it is likely that if just one person was burned out for an entire year, that that could have catastrophic effects and could potentially unravel the pattern just from that one person's removal for a whole year by balefire.

...and, it is likely that if just one person was burned out for an entire year, that that could have catastrophic effects and could potentially unravel the pattern just from that one person's removal for a whole year by balefire.

Probably depends on the person.

If they are a lone hermit in the middle of a forest, that hasn't seen a living soul for 5 years? Probably not.

Theres a similar precidence with 'traveling' and 'power scale'.

RJ said its theoretically 'possible' to say, travel to different planets, ect, via gateways/skimming.. But the further you go, the more power it takes....

So if it takes say, 1/2 rand to travel to the opposite side of earth, and 1.5x rand to get to the moon, it would take like, 80x rand to get to mars, and about a billion rands to get 1 light year away from earth. ;)

I've always assumed this. And its probably true. I just thought it was interesting that he decided to say that while we've never seen someone or something powerful enough to burn back a year that its certainly possible in the world.

Probably depends on the person.

If they are a lone hermit in the middle of a forest, that hasn't seen a living soul for 5 years? Probably not.

If I were balefired back a year, all of my posts would disappear!  But no worries, you could still remember them.

The hidden clue in Books 4-6 that Sanderson refers to may very will be Rand 3rd questions he asks that has yet to be revealed. This, of course, occurs in Book 4. And we all expect it to play a major role in the end.

Also, I was wondering why the ability to enter the Dream World while one is still awake has been put on the backburner? Could this be something that we will see in the next two books?

I'm excited about Fain too.  I know some people really hate his character, but I love the inpredictability of Padan Fain in the books.  Makes it fun.

As for the "little thing" that appears in book 4, 5, or 6.

If it is something as significant as the detail from the Mistborn series, but it has been so overlooked, it is because it is so small and seemingly insignificant, so the fact that we missed it might be because it doesn't seem significant at all.  Rand's question to the Finns, while very important, probably isn't what BS was referring to, because it IS so significant.

Oh well, I'm just going to have to reread again ;D

Actually, it will probably take me a year to reread, so I better get started so that I'll be ready by the time the next one comes out.

I'm excited about Fain too.  I know some people really hate his character, but I love the inpredictability of Padan Fain in the books.  Makes it fun.

Fain certainly is a character that I love to hate.  The best part is that his appearances are so infrequent that you almost forget about him, and when he does pop you never see it comming.  In fact you are almost as surprised to see him as is Rand.

Fain certainly is a character that I love to hate.  The best part is that his appearances are so infrequent that you almost forget about him, and when he does pop you never see it comming.  In fact you are almost as surprised to see him as is Rand.

Well, part of that is he's always hiding in one guise or another, so you don't 'know' its fain until you get into his pov. ;)

Archived