DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Signing questions and answers

JenniferL

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We put up some question suggestions on that link (if you don't happen to have one of your own, ask one of those). Feel free to offer up variations that you think have a better likelihood of being answered or new ones.

Would love to hear what is rolling around the minds of Dragonmount.

ONE THING - I'm assuming it is obvious, clicking the link above will take you to all sorts of TGS SPOILERS.

Hah - They refer to me as the Hardest Working Lazy Ass...over at Theoryland...which naturally makes me a Benevolent Dictator...because I rarely get around to acting as the Dictator because I'm lazy, which makes me appear Benevolent. :)

Your post would get a lot of "...duh". But don't let that stop you! :)

I gotta come back to make the best of the time I can between now and Towers of Midnight to laugh at supporters of a very popular suspect in Asmodean's murder...just in case they still turn out to be right. ;)

Warning: Potential spoilers for the entire Mistborn Series, if you do not want to know, do not read ahead!

I was one of the Chicago Storm Leaders, and was able to ask some questions of Brandon before the signing itself, most everything was repeated at the signing at one point or another, except for one detail; Brandon mentioned a tidbit about Towers of Midnight.

There is a very small detail in books 4-6, not sure which one that will end up playing a huge role in Towers of Midnight (might end up being in amol, but pretty sure he said ToM). This is on a scale of Vin's earring in Mistborn, with how that was such a minor detail touched on in book one, and ended up being the key detail that saved the day in the end. That kind of small detail.

So, go nuts with your speculation folks.

I was at the signing in Roseville, MN last night and asked Brandon a question regarding Graendal possibly not being dead.  I started by saying that Graendal was ordered to keep Arad Doman in chaos.  After she was killed Rand was forced out of Arad Doman because all of the food he brought spoiled all at the same time, not in random intervals like had happened before due to the dark ones touch.  My question to Brandon is was this food spoilage caused by the Dark One or could it have been a strong channeler with inverted weaves, perhaps someone who was ordered to make sure that Rand's plans in Arad Doman failed? 

Brandon told me explicitly that this was not caused by someone channeling but instead it was caused by Rand.  Roberet Jordan evidently left strong notes regarding the fact that the quote we heard early on in the story from Thom about "The dragon is one with the land and the land is one with the Dragon" will be emphasized towards the end of the stroy.  When people complained that only bad Ta'veren things happened in Bandar Eban when Rand was there with no offsetting good things this was an examples that as Rand has hardened and become darker the land has also grown more dark.  The spoiling of all the food at once was also caused by the darkness in Rand. 

It was pleasant to get such a direct response from Brandon and I would recommend that anyone who can get to a signing should do so.  He never said RAFO when I was there, it was just ICSBOCO (I Can't Say Because Of Contractual Obligations)

Note:  This is also posted in the forsaken thread but a moderator suggested cross posting it here as well due to the fact it has a firm author response.

I would have wanted to ask a bunch of questions, but sadly I think all of them are at very high risk of being RAFOs. One power strength comparisons, for instance. Will we get some more facts? When? Is it one of those things that will only happen when Harriet's encyclopaedia comes out? What plans are there on that very encyclopaedia - when will it be out?

Will we see more new weaves/Talents for channelers? Or perhaps for non-channelers? Will there be cropping up a lot of wolfsiblings in the last few books?

We put up some question suggestions on that link (if you don't happen to have one of your own, ask one of those). Feel free to offer up variations that you think have a better likelihood of being answered or new ones.

Would love to hear what is rolling around the minds of Dragonmount.

Anyone else got a question to ask? Seems like this thread has become forgotten at the bottom of the board.  :)

I've got a couple of suggested questions to ask BS. I think it's better ask for clarifications on revealed events, so I'm mostly going with that sort.

1) In the prologue, Moridin flatters Graendal and holds out a big carrot for her, then asks her to mess up Rand in Arad Doman. But, he's pretty much lying to her about her potential rewards, because if the Dark One wins there will be nothing left. He didn't need to lie to her to get her to do things, he could have just ordered her. I think he lied to her to lead her into taking risks she wouldn't have otherwise. Is this analysis correct?

2) In chapter 7 ("The Plan for Arad Doman"), Nynaeve is going through the weaves for the Aes Sedai test with Daigian. Corele had asked Nynaeve to do that - to distract Daigian from her grief and to help Nynaeve's standing. However, was this actually Cadsuane manipulating things to help keep Nynaeve away from Rand, and undermine her in general?

3) In chapter 15 ("A Place to Begin"), Rand finds himself in the World of Dreams but with no Lewis Therin voice. Would that have happened at any time her entered the World of Dreams normally (not in the flesh) or was there something particular about that occation? His memories were a bit unclear right at the start - was that related?

4) In chapter 16 ("In the White Tower"), Egwene suggests that Elaida's plan to kidnap Rand and chain him should have been doomed to failure since he wouldn't have been able to fulfil the Prophesies otherwise. This sounds more like an argument that would appear on internet forums - that was deliberate (tipping a hat to the fans)?

5a) In chapter 22 ("The last That Could Be Done"), was Graendal at all involved with Semirhage's release or her getting her hands on the Domination Band? Was Moridin involved?

5b) Later on, just before Rand channels the True Power, he sees "a clouded face" - Moridin or someone else?

5c) Rand seems to instinctively know how to use the True Power. Is that because it's very similar to the One Power, because of his link with Moridin, or something else?

And from older books:

6) It's now pretty much confirmed that Verin used a weak form of Compulsion on many Aes Sedai in A Crown of Swords, including some Black Ajah. Did she know those sisters were Black Ajah at the time and did she treat them differently?

7) From the books it never seemed clear to me what the Eye of the World was for or even why it was called that. Is there any chance of more details or clarification later?

Probably not.  The folks around here would rather speculate endlessly and build impossible castles in the air than get any real answers.

The most obvious, to put the matter to complete rest, is - Did Graendal really die?

Says the guy who thinks the entire scene with Semmi was miswritten because it doesn't fit his perception of balefire.. and pointedly ignoring Nynaeve's boat incident which confirms that Balefire doesn't rewrite history but takes things as they are and rearranges them to fit the sudden change in circumstances.

My question would be obvious - "Does balefire cause history to be rewritten, ala Back to the Future, or does the pattern simply warp at the instant of balefire to self correct any contradictions while leaving everything that isn't a contradiction as it is?"

I'm willing to bet it is the second and not the first since every use of balefire fits the second but would be flawed under the first. It also explains why balefire stands outside its own paradox.

What part of: "Not only that; whatever had been done as a result of those vanished actions also had no longer been done." don't you understand?  There is no effect without a cause.

What part of: "Not only that; whatever had been done as a result of those vanished actions also had no longer been done." don't you understand?  There is no effect without a cause.

Read the scenes were Balefire was used. This is not a necessary question to ask Brandon Sanderson about. We already know the answer. We knew many books ago.  ;)

Read the scenes were Balefire was used. This is not a necessary question to ask Brandon Sanderson about. We already know the answer. We knew many books ago.  ;)

What we see in those scenes is what the observer experienced.  What we don't see is all the background manipulation the Wheel is going through.  What the discussions about balefire that Jordan put in the books tell us is what the Wheel really has to do when balefire gets used.

It's what really has to go on behind the scenes that counts, not the teeny tiny bit that any single character experiences.

I'm not suggesting that there couldn't be any differences at all between TP & OP Balefire. There might be. But, we do know that Min's bruises would have stayed with OP Balefire.  If, for example, Nynaeve had run into the room and BFed Semirhage (using saidar), then Min would still have had her bruises.

• Community Administrator

I was planning to ask brandon Sanderson this question at the minneapolis signing, but I was unfortunately unable to attend. (another year or two until I can!)

Has brandon sanderson, ever watched the anime, Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann.

That question actually has a reason...

Try reading mistborn, while watching that anime.

There are sooo many parrallels its psychotic! (Course the ending of that anime is competely different from the final book, but the end of Mistborn was like the end of the 'halfway' mark of the anime.)

The other obvious questions are,

(If you are standing in line)

Is the one we are lead to believe to be toasted, Toasted? (aka grendal)

The one we saw who was toasted, by other means, can we assume the toaster acts the same as any other toaster?

Archived