DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

A night in town! [open RP - join away!]

Nynaeve

Zoe brushed her hair, deciding to leave it loose for the outing. It's been a while since she took advantage of her free afternoon and it was time to put it into good use. She wasn't planning on going alone, either. She made sure to spread the word in the dinning room to whoever was interested in a night out. Life in the Fortress was not that trivial and blowing some steam was always a wise idea.

Viewing herself in the mirror, Zoe spun around and smiled. Her gray dress was a plain one. It had no fancy ornaments or embroidery, but it framed her figure to perfection, while offering a generous amount of cleavage. Her hair dried out nicely and flowed down to her shoulders. She did, however, forgone any sort of jewelery. At least for that night, she preferred the clean look.

Zoe left the room hurriedly, before her dreadful roommate returned. She knew all too well that if her roommate would have known about the outing, she'd attach herself to Zoe's hip. No, she wanted to enjoy herself and not be tormented by her presence.

She left the Fortress' gates and headed towards the Sundown inn.

Zoe

CotL

Edalia gave an experimental twirl in front of the mirror. She'd scrimped and saved and managed to buy herself a new dress, so she'd jumped at the chance when Zoe had suggested a night out. It'd give her a chance to wear it.

She tied her hair back off her face and studied her reflection critically. The dress was a lovely shade of deep blue and set off her colouring to perfection. She quickly fastened a silver necklace around her neck, it was a present from her parents and since they had died it was the only thing she had to remember them by.

Nodding with satisfaction Edalia left her room and started to walk to the Sundown inn.

Edalia

CotL

Sylos stared at what remained of his personal wardrobe, somewhat perplexed. He had been certain he'd managed to replace all the shirts his mother bought him... it seemed he was wrong. However, as all of his own shirts seemed to have varying numbers of conspicous holes in them, it was all he was left with. It wasn't that there was anything wrong with the shirt, really. It was dark green, with very fine embroidery- a lovely geometric pattern that became hypnotic if one tried too long to follow it. Though he might have ensured it fit better if he had ever actually planned to wear it, he supposed. The problem was that it was silk. He found that advertising the wealth of one's family was tantamount to getting down on one's knees and begging for trouble.

Sylos had heard the ideas circulating around the mess hall about an outing, and decided to follow along-not because he had any expectation of enjoying it, but because it was important to socialize with one's peers. Throwing the shirt over his head and grumbling somewhat, he could only hope none of his fellow Children had any significant class prejudices.

Still grumbling as he left the room, he headed for the Sundown inn, hoping this would be better than his last trip to the bar- which, as he recalled, was what had made so many holes in his favorite shirt.

Zoe entered the inn, delighted by the fact that she managed to escape her pesky roommate. She walked into the common room and quickly realized that she had been the first one to arrive. She took a second look to verify it, but she was right. There were no familiar faces there. So much for being fashionably late.

She walked in, a bit unsettled by the fact that no one in the room noticed her approaching. She was too used to walking about in her uniforms and that seemed to always draw attention, whether you wanted it to or not. That night, though, she seemed like any regular town girl. There was nothing on her that would mark her a Child of the Light.

Choosing an empty table, Zoe sat down and ordered a glass of wine and cheese. She managed to save some money and figured she could spoil herself for a change. She enjoyed the wine as she waited, nibbling on a piece of cheese. She pouted when the wine was gone, but a wink here and there earned her free wine from a few gentleman in a table close by. Sipping happily, she deemed the beginning of the night as a good start.

Zoe

CotL

Sharina made her way towards the Sundown Inn, wearing pretty much the same clothes she had worn when she had first arrived at the fortress. A suit of leather armor and matching bracers, worn over a white robe with an assortment of belts whose purpose appeared to be holding vials and herbs under other circumstances. She wore a white short travel cloak over her shoulders as well which, although resembling a modified one of the Children, lacked the trademark sunburst. Though she believed it unusual that a Child of the Light would not be wearing their uniform, there was a time for everything, and she hoped wearing her old clothes would help tone down the occasional pang of homesickness she was feeling.

Sharina

Still here...

Edalia walked in and scanned the room for any familiar faces. Spotting Zoe, she approached the table and grinned as she saw Zoe wink at a gentleman sitting at the next table. Taking a seat opposite her Edalia spoke with amusement "Looks like you're set for drinks tonight then! So who else is coming, do you know?" 

Edalia waved at the barmaid as she spoke and then ordered a pitcher of Ale. She couldn't drink much wine without it feeling like a Smithy had set up in her skull the next morning so she thought she'd best stick to ale, at least she can drink a fair bit of that before feeling the effects.

Edalia

Preparing to let her hair down

Sylos was still feeling somewhat selfconscious as he entered the Sundown, but wiped it away as best he could as he gazed around trying to spot his fellow children. He noticed a young woman who he thought he recognized as the instigator of this grand outing sitting at a table soliciting drinks with what appeared to be a very practiced ease, and moved over towards her table with a faint smile.

He waved as he approached, thought he immediately realized it might be odd for someone she had never seen to be waving at her. Shrugging it off and surging bravely onward, he stopped in front of the table. "Would you mind if I join you, miss?" He asked as politely as he could, though his manners had certainly lost some of their polish.

"Looks like you're set for drinks tonight then! So who else is coming, do you know?"  Zoe smiled at Edalia. The more time she spent in the Fortress, the more she grew fond of the girl. She was pleasant, enthusiastic and generally fun to be around. The best traits you could find in a female friend, really. Especially when going out to town for a breather.

"Yes, the light has been generous tonight." Zoe winked and laughed. "I really have no idea who's showing up. It might as well be just the two of us. I just spread the news. Either way, though, I have a feeling this is going to be an interesting night." They both toasted, Zoe with the wine she had left in her glass, and Edalia with the ale she ordered.

They soon started gossiping. Both about men in the inn and inner matters of the Fortress. Zoe giggled furiously, finding it a bit hard to stop. "Oh, god, Edalia, you should have been there! I couldn't hear the conversation, but by the way Roudal's wife was waving her arms around, you could tell she was giving him quite the speech. The wrist work was quite impressive. And his expression was priceless. Poor guy." Zoe snickered and had a sip of ale.

The common room was getting a bit busy, and service seemed to take ages. "Awe, Edalia, do me a favor and go to the counter for our pitcher. I need more ale!". Edalia nodded and went for their refill. Just as she left the table, she was approached by someone.

"Would you mind if I join you, miss?" Zoe grinned, both out of politeness and cheerfulness induced by the wine and ale, no doubt. "Well, of course! Sit down... erm... what's your name?". The CotL replied with his first name as he sat down. Zoe squinted her eyes as she tried to focus her vision on his face and then laughed. "OH! You're the one who knocked out Evelyn, aren't you?" Zoe turned around to call Edalia back. "You must be quite courageous or a complete backbirth. Either way, you're welcome in this table! Far be it from us to deny a person's last wish". Giggling, she took the last sip from her cup, hoping Edalia was coming back with a full pitcher.

Zoe

CotL

Edalia giggled as she went to fetch the pitcher from the bar, this was looking to be a fun night, even if it was just going to be the two of them. She'd thanked the barmaid, grabbed the pitcher and turned back towards their table, before she noticed another Child sat at the table.

Grinning she turned back to the barmaid and requested an extra pitcher before setting off to the table with an extra mug. Placing the pitcher on the table, being very careful not to spill any, Edalia greeted the newcomer.

"Next round is yours!" She grinned and held out her hand, "don't think we've been introduced, I'm Edalia - bottoms up!"

She drained her mug and started to refill it, before winking at Zoe. "Don't worry I've ordered an extra pitcher"

• 2 weeks later...

Sylos took Edalia's hand and shook it, and in addition made a point of standing and bowing to her as he introduced himself. "Sylos Durian. It's a pleasure to meet you, Edalia." He replied, smiling a little. Noticing she had brought back an extra mug, he took it and poured himself some ale, then sniffed it carefully before taking a drink. He shrugged slightly after a moment.

"Decent, but I've had better. So, what are two fine young Children like yourself doing making a habit of frequenting such places of sin and villainy?" Sylos put forth his conversation-opening tactic with a sardonic air of amusement.

• 2 weeks later...

Edalia chuckled as he shook her hand. "You're quite the gentleman!"

She straightened her face and replied to his question with a mock-indignant tone, "It's not like we make a regular habit of this, Sylos. Besides how else are we to establish who and what is villainous without visiting such dens of iniquity?" she grinned and raised an enquiring eyebrow. "And, of course, that also raises the question of what you're doing here!"  She grinned again and sipped at her ale.

• 2 weeks later...

Zoe finished emptying her mug and put it down on the table ever so slowly. She decided it was time to slow down the alcoholic consumption, lest she was going to spend the rest of the night unconscious. No, she didn't want that. The night was young still and there was much to talk and laugh about with her friends. Oh yes, quite a bit!

She turned her head just in time to hear Edalia speaking. "And, of course, that also raises the question of what you're doing here!". Zoe laughed and tapped Edalia on her shoulder as she spoke. "You silly gal, I invited him. I invited everyone! Of course, not many seemed to have shown up. But no matter! No, no matter. We make a lively party by our lonesome!".

Zoe got up abruptly from her chair. "This calls for a celebration! I want to make a toast", she said, loud enough for half the common room to turn in her direction. She realized she had no mug in her hand so she just raised it, holding an invisible one. "This is a fine night. And here I am surrounded by all of you beautiful people. Well, except you there, seriously, where did you buy that blouse?". The man frowned at her and turned back to his table.

Zoe opened her mouth to continue but was pulled down to her seat by Edalida. Not putting up much of a fight, she dropped to her seat, feeling her head spinning. Either from the ale or the sudden movement, she wasn't sure. She winked at Edalia. "You want to hog me all to yourself, Edalia? Heh. I'm afraid I'm not ready for any commitment. Can't we just be friends?". She soon broke into laughs, having no idea if it was indeed Edalia she was speaking to or Sylos.

Zoe

Fairly drunk

• 1 year later...

"I usually wander about town on my days off, so having an offer to do so in company seemed as good an idea as any. The Sundown is not an establishment I'm familiar with, although it doesn't seem too terrible." Sylos spoke to Edalia, deeming it best to let Zoe be drunk and foolish on her own power, though he did make a point of half-listening in case she said anything amusing enough to share with his roommates or the few people he had struck up a working relationship with in the Fortress. That, and of course it was good practice.

"I don't believe I've seen either of you around the Fortress very often- though apparently my own exploits have spread about a bit. How long have you been with the Children of the Light?" He asked, by way of keeping the conversation going.

I don't believe I've seen either of you around the Fortress very often- though apparently my own exploits have spread about a bit. How long have you been with the Children of the Light?"

Zoe leaned back in her chair, watching the room spin. "Not too long ago. We're still fresh meat. That's how Evelyn likes to call us. She is all sorts of mean, but we still love her, don't we Edalia? Yes we do! I think behind that tough exterior there's someone begging to be loved. Yes, that must be it. My mom always said being mean is really a cry for attention."

She almost lost her balance but caught herself just in time before falling flat in her face. "I'm going to bring a pitcher of water. We need the hydrate you". With that Edalia walked away, leaving them alone. Zoe gave Sylos an intent look, wondering which of the three Sylos she was seeing was the real one. "So, what's your story?".

Zoe

Child of the Light

• 3 weeks later...

"So, what's your story?" Sylos almost winced. He hated that question. It was an attempt to draw out a summary of who a person was and why they were where they were, something rather difficult to summarize in the long run. But it would be impolite not to answer, and the last thing he needed was people in the officer's ranks AND the rank and file convinced he was an ass. He took a long sip of his ale before he answered, composing what he wanted to say in his head.

"I'm a younger son from a large and fairly affluent merchant family. My older brothers and sisters were successful enough merchants that my father didn't mind me turning out to be a dreamer and an explorer, so I spent the last few years wandering around most of the south. I got into a considerable amount of trouble, and when the last bit of it nearly made an end of me, I found myself here, somehow. My father always spoke well of the Children, and I always found The Way of the Light to be fascinating, to say the least. So... here I am, I suppose."

• 3 months later...

"That's a fascinating story right there. Fascinating. Fas-cina-ting!. Heh. I'm not likely to remember any of it by tomorrow but you really told it well. The emotion was just right and that glint in your eyes draws you in. Truly. I'd give you a standing ovation but I don't think I want to test the ability to do so just yet. I am clapping on the inside!" She laughed for a moment until the amusement wore off.

Zoe grabbed her glass and frowned at it. "Empty... sad. Don't you think it looks sad, Sylos?". He smiled at her but didn't respond. He had a good smile. There were quite a few handsome men in the Fortress and he definitely ranked high among them. Or was it the wine talking? Zoe started giggling again at the idea of a talking wine bottle. Sylos scratched the back of his neck uncomfortably as Edalia returned with a pitcher of water.

She managed to pour quite a bit of it down Zoe's throat but it didn't seem to ease the random giggling fits. "I think it's time to go", Edalia announced. Zoe pouted. "But it's still early, we don't have to be back till....", she trailed off at Edalia's frown. "Fine! Lets go back. Light, you almost look like Evelyn with that expression. I almost saluted you!" Edalia didn't seem amused. She supported Zoe as she got up and the three left the inn, making their way back to the Fortress.

Zoe

CotL

Edited by Nynaeve