DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Sword Training Attn Gabe and John

WhiteWolf

“Good morning Gabe, thank you for being punctual. Come and sit yourself down and have a mug of tea.” When Gabe had sat in one of the two chairs in front of the overly large desk, Owen handed him the mug of tea and was just about to sit down on the opposite side of the desk when there was a knock at the door. “Come in.”

Owen turned to face the door and greeted John as he came into the office. Handing John the mug he was holding, Owen told him to sit down and then went to make himself another mug of tea. Returning to his chair, Owen put the mug down and then sat in the chair. “Well i suppose both of you are eager to start your lesson today, but first i would appreciate knowing a little bit about your back grounds. Where you came from, what you did before the Howling. It makes it easier if we know a little about each other and allows me to better evaluate your performance.”

Seeing as Gabe had been the first one to arrive, Owen asked him to start. While Gabe was talking Owen sipped at his tea, listening intently and asking a question every now and then. “Thank you for that Gabe. Your turn now John.” Although Owen had already taught a senses class that John had attended, he did not know a lot about the young man.

“Thank you both for your answers, it is a great help. Now a little about myself. “Owen finished off his tea and put the mug down on the desk. I have been one of the Wolfkin for more years than i care to think about now, and for most of that time i have been the Leader of the Rangers. I had thought at first i would join the Watchers, but things never seem to go exactly as we would like and so i ended up as a Ranger. Enough about me though, lets us proceed to the Armoury and you can both take your time choosing a sword. This will be yours for a long time, so make sure you are happy with your choice, although you can change it later if you are not.”

Standing Owen indicated they should leave his office and gave them directions to the Armoury. Upon arrival Owen took out a key and unlocked the door. Inside the room was packed full of carefully stored swords, bow, daggers, and suits of armour of various styles and designs and other even more exotic looking weapons. “Now make sure you choose correctly. This weapon could save your life, or the lives of those with you. Take your time and choose wisely.

Owen left them to wander around the Armoury. Selecting weapons could be a very personnel moment. Owen knew a lot of Rangers who got very attached to their weapons and he could not blame them. A well cared for weapon could be the difference between life and death.

Owen

The WhiteWolf

Ranger Leader

Gabe entered the room and took a seat. Taking the mug of tea he faced to begin inspecting the man in front of him. He had only been in the stedding a couple weeks and already they were training him! He had met a few people but he would have recognized this man if he had seen him. Skin and Hair as white as snow, almost as if he were a ghost. The man was definatley a fighter. Gabe had not seen many proffesional soldiers aside from the city guard but this man just felt like a fighter.

Gabe was just working this threw his head when there was a knock at the door. "Come in." Owen called, and another student arrived. He introduced himself as John sat in the chair next to Gabe. After they were all settled in Owen spoke.

"Well i suppose both of you are eager to start your lesson today, but first i would appreciate knowing a little bit about your back grounds. Where you came from, what you did before the Howling. It makes it easier if we know a little about each other and allows me to better evaluate your performance.” 

Gabe was a bit hesitant to bring up his family but replied " My father was an inkeep. I havent really been out of the city unti this last couple weeks. i spent most of my time reading or helping in the inn. i was never trained in any kind of fighting. i had a good life until my eyes..." Gabe stopped trying to hide his pain. But greatfully Owen asked John to tell his story.

As Gabe listend to John tell his story, his eyes wandered around the room. Studying walls and idly sipping his tea, his attention was caught as Owen started telling them about himself and told them they were going to the armory. Gabe was excited by this news. My own sword!. He follwed John enthusiastically as they headed to the armory.

Owen took them to a large building, unlocked it and motioned for them to enter. Once in the door Gabe's eyes widened at the site of so many weapons.

“Now make sure you choose correctly. This weapon could save your life, or the lives of those with you. Take your time and choose wisely.”

Gabe did not hesitate to begin searching the sword rack, not quite sure what he was looking for but he held swords in his hands swinging them experimentally to feel the weight. John was right there looking for his own sword. Gabe was glad there was another student around to train with, they were about the same age, maybe they could become freinds.

It took him about ten minutes before he found the sword that would be his. It was a longsword and carved on the pommel was a snarling wolfs head. Satisfied after test swinnging it a few times, he walked over to where Owen was and waited for John to select his weapon.

OOC: thanks to tay for helping me  :D

Winter shivered as he walked towards the Rangers Barracks, it was warmer then it had been for a while, but that was not saying much when the trees still held frost so thick they were more white then green. He had left Forest napping infront of a warm fire with a promise to hunt with her later.

He had been instructed to come to the Ranger's Barracks to meet Owen and another whom he had met in passing. They were to be taught the way of the sword.

He walked down the same hallway he had not a week earlier after he had helped a friend with a task.

He knocked once and the answer of "Come" answered him shortly.

He smiled at Owen and the man he thought was named Gabe, and took a seat after accepting a warm mug of tea.

Owne told them to tell him and the other about themselves, and Winter frowned into his mug, he did not want to tell too much, but he felt compeld to.

After Gabe finished Winter's turn came to tell his story.

"Well, I guess I should start at a name, my name." Winter sighed, "I was born with the name Jonathan Valorwind, though I have forsaken my former sirname for what the wolves call me, so I guess I would be known as Jonathan Winterwinds. Or just Winter or John."

He took a long sip of his tea and continued, "I was born a merchients son, the last of five, in the Boarder Lands. All my older brothers are in the military, which left me to running the estate when my father retired. That all changed, after...well my eyes changed."

He looked absently at the roof, "My parents would of most likely allowed me to run the estate if not for the event that earned me my name. But that is a story for another day."

Winter finished his tea as Owen told a bit about himself, though nothing Winter couldnt of guessed.

When he finished he indicated that they should leave the office and head out to the Armory.

When they reached the Ranger's Armory Owen told them to go in and choose a sword, but not to be too quick about it.

Winter walked inside, and picked up a few and tried their weight. Though he had been burried in books for most of his life, he had still picked up a few things from his brothers on how to choose a good weapion. As such he also looked for one that would balance well in his arm, was not too heavy as to tire his arm after a few swings and one that might perhaps look good.

After around twenty minuets of this, he came apon a sword that was about 3 feet long and in a plain leather scabard. For some reasion he felt drawn to it, and as his hand wrapped around the grip he smiled, it felt right in his hand.

He picked it up, and drew the blade, and marveled at the etching just below the cross-guard, which was of a wolf braying to a full moon. Looking now at the cross-guard itself he found that it was a good grade of iron that could withstand a blow or two before bending. The was likewise of good make, it was also iron but was wrapped in aged leather, the end of it had a small moonstone inlayed in it.

Putting it back in the scabard he came outside with a smile.

Once both John and Gabe had chosen their weapons, thankfully neither of them had picked either a bastard sword or a hand and a half sword. Those weapons were for much more experienced people and could be just as dangerous to the wielder as to their intended foes. “So you now both have your weapons, keep them with you at all times. If i see you walking around without them i will not be pleased.” This was Owen’s standard opening speech, and there was no malice in the words, just good honest advice. “Make sure it is the first thing you reach for in the morning, and the last thing you put aside at night.  Never be more than a pace or two away from it. You are safe here in the Stedding, but outside the Stedding there are two-legs that would take any opportunity they can to turn us over to the Whitecloaks, or worse. Now come with me please.”

Owen led them out of the Armoury and through the barracks until they were outside. Instead of taking them to the practice grounds Owen turned towards the center of the Stedding. “Now that you have your weapons you will need to know how to look after them. For instance, if you happen to kill a Trolloc, did you know their blood can etch a blade and weaken if it is not wiped off as soon as possible? “ Owen looked at both Gabe and John and it was obvious neither of them knew of this, which was no surprise considering their backgrounds. “Another thing you have to know is how to sharpen your weapons, whether that is with a whet stone or using a grinding wheel. “

As Owen continued to lead them closer to the center of the Stedding he was greeted by the few Wolfkin that were out and about. Owen introduced his two companions and explained that he was taking them to the forge to learn how to take care of their weapons. Some smiled and wished them luck; others however knew what was in front of Gabe and John and shook their heads in amusement. Eventually the three of them reached the stables, but Owen did not enter. Instead he took them around the side to where the forge was. The smith was hard at work making horse shoes and after a few words with Owen went back to his work.

“Now as i said there are two main methods to sharpening a bladed weapon. When we are away from the Stedding we have to use one of these.” Owen reached into his belt pouch and pulled out a small flat stone. “This is called a whet stone and you use this to maintain the cutting edge of the sword. It can also be used to remove nicks and chips from the blade, small ones that is.” Owen handed the whet stone to John and pulled a second one out of his pouch for Gabe. “They are now yours, keep them with you at all times. To be caught out in the wilds with a blunt or damaged blade would not be wise.”

Owen then proceeded to demonstrate how to use the whetstone. There was a pile of damaged and blunt weapons on the floor and it was one of these that Owen used. “Slow, smooth strokes, up the blade, never down. Always up. Keep the whet stone flat, never angle it or use it on the actual edge of the blade, always along it.” As he was speaking Owen demonstrated his actions. “Now what i want you to do John is work your way through this pile of swords here, removing as many of the nicks as you can. Do not worry if you cannot get them all out, just do your best. Oh and one final thing, i do not expect you to finish that pile, all i want you to do here this morning is to learn how to sharpen and repair these blades. Any questions?”

John looked hesitant at first, and then spoke.” Owen, if we have a smith, why do we need to repair these weapons, can we not just ask him to do it?”

“Yes you could John, but what happens if you are not in the Stedding and your weapon is damaged? Your ability to fix it could be all that stands between you and death. Hopefully that will never happen, but it is best to be prepared.” With that Owen and Gabe left John to it and Owen showed Gabe where the large grinding wheel was. “Now this is used to remove larger nicks and also to sharpen new blades that have just been forged. This is more difficult than using a whet stone, but again is a skill that could one day save your life. We will spend the rest of the morning working with this grinding wheel, but firstly let me show you how it works. Go and sit on that stool over there.” Owen pointed to a three legged stool with a strange crank attachment just in front of it.” Sit down there Gabe and put your feet on those blocks of wood in front of you. Now push with your right foot, as it comes round, and then push with your left foot and so on.”

Gabe did as he was told and soon got into the rhythm that was required to turn the wheel smoothly. When the wheel was going at a decent speed Owen took one of the damaged swords and started to work on the edge, talking to Gabe all the time, explaining what he was doing. Half way through this demonstration another member of the Wolfkin entered and offered to take over from Gabe so he could watch Owen more closely. The work went smoothly, with Owen talking to Gabe all the time, eventually though, it was Gabe’s turn and he and Owen switched places. “Just remember what i have shown you Gabe, take your time, and if in doubt ask.”

Owen

The WhiteWolf

Ranger Leader

OOC: Ok guys, a bit boring i know, but essential. So just rp your responses to what Owen has asked you to do. At the midday meal you will change places. So John spends the afternoon using the grinding wheel and Gabe using the whet stone. One post from each of you will complete this part and then we can move on to some actual stabbing*bg*

Gabe was tired, hot, and a bit bored sitting there moving the grinding stone with his feet. Not used to a days hard work he was already ready to call the day done. When another Wolfkin memeber came and offered to take his place so he could concentrate on Owen better he was more than happy to oblige. As he sat there listening and watching he started to notice a rhythm to the work. The steady beat of the wheel as the Wolfkin turned it, The scratch as the blade was sharpened, "this is easy i could do this." Gabe thought. Just as the thought crossed his mind Owen stopped and handed him a blade, "Your turn" Owen said.

As it turned out the grinding stone was a lot different when the blade was in Gabes own hands. He had to stop and ask Owen tips and questions numerous times. Eventually though Gabe got the hang of it and lost himself in the rhythm. It was aproaching midday when Owen tapped Gabes shoulder and told him to break for lunch. Gabe was exhausted when he slumped down to eat. As he was eating Owen explained that he and John would switch places for the rest of the afternoon. Gabe sighed. He really was exhausted. Maybe the whetstone would go easier and it would be a nice afternoon.

When Gabe finally fell into his bed that night and passed out it was not the wolf dream that came...only nightmares involving a whetstone and a very large pile of swords...

• 3 weeks later...

After Owen told him what to do Winter sat down near the pile of blades and looked at the whet stone in his hand, he had seen his brothers sharpining swords before but had never hand much interest in it before. Now was as good a time as any to learn though.

Picking up a dull blade from the pile Winter proceeded to shapen it. He didnt do so well at first but as time wore on he slowly grew more confedent in the steady strokes of the whet stone over the dull blade. By mid day he had shapend or repaired atleast a dozen blades, which was a small amount compaired to the size of the pile, but as he talked to Forest while they walked towards the Hole in the Wall she reassured him.

"You are still learning brother, you cannot hope to learn all the skills you are taught by the pack in one rotaion of the sun and mood, it will take many more, but you will learn them I am sure." She said, if she had been human Winter could of sworn she would be smileing at him, then again he was not sure she wasnt.

When he returned to the forge him and Gabe traded places, and it was his turn at the grinding stone.

It was hard work, more so then the whet stone which now hung from a pouch on Winter's belt, but after finding a steady pace he began to sharpen a few blades.

As the sun set Winter looked to the pile next to him, it was small, only about two dozen, but it was larger then the one he had gotten with the Whet stone.

John Winterwinds

The work of a Blacksmith is hard work.

OOC: Forgive me for the long wait, I have been having a rather bad case of writers block laterly. Hopefuly it will pass soon, or perhaps it already did with this post.

The morning after their day at the forge, Owen met Winter and Gabe and led them to the training area. This area was littered with strange looking devices and it was to one of these that Owen led Winter and Gabe. “The purpose of this device is to allow someone who has only cant knowledge of how to use a sword to practice in relative safety. I say relative because this will still hurt you if you get it wrong, and it is not unknown for bones to be broken, much to the delight of our Sages.” The smile that appeared on Owen’s face had a lot to do with the perpetual scolding he received from the Sages whenever one of his trainees suffered a training mishap. “But do not let that worry you for now. We will take this slowly at first and wait until your confidence is good before we carry on.”

Owen called out to one of the Guardians who were helping to set up some archery targets. “Davon, would you be as good as to demonstrate to Winter and Gabe how this works?” Smiling at Owen, Davon picked up a practice sword in his right hand and a small round shield went on his left arm. “Watch closely you two; Davon will now demonstrate the correct way to use this.”

The device that Davon fought consisted of two arms and a body mounted on a swivel attachment. The idea of this was to strike the arm holding the shield, and then the force of the blow would swing around the other arm, that held a ball and chain, and the person fighting would block the ball and chain with his own shield. Davon demonstrated this technique faultlessly, as befitted his rank of Guardian. After a few rounds Davon stepped back from the device and Owen thanked him for his efforts. Davon said his goodbyes, wishing Winter and Gabe good luck, before he went back to his previous task.

“Well there you have it. Looks simple does it not? So how about one of you has a go and we can see how well you do. Remember, thrust with your sword, block with your shield. The one action leads to the second and you must get your shield up in time to block the ball and chain. It may only be made of wood, but even so it will leave you with a nasty bruise at best, if you do not quickly get your shield up in time. I will leave it to you to decide who goes first.

Owen

The WhiteWolf

Ranger Leader

OOC This lesson will take up the rest of the day, so i would like a post from each of you, no less than 250 words. If you want to get hurt, then do so, but nothing major ok?

Gabe hesitantly stepped up to the "man". Expiermentally hefting sword and shield Gabe prepared himself. He swung with all his might at the "man's" shield arm. As the sword hit, the other arm swung around, not reacting fast enough Gabe was hit square in the shoulder and fell to the ground with a loud howl of pain. Getting up Gabe tested his shield arm, he was going to have a nasty bruise there later but right now it was numb. Nothing felt broken and with a grimace Gabe stepped up to try again. The next time he got the shield up quicker but still got clipped and was sent to the ground again. Frustrated that he could not get his arm up in time Gabe got up and tried again. After getting hit a few more times Gabe finally got the rhythm and was soon thrusting and blocking with, if not ease, confidence.

Eating lunch was a ginger affair for Gabe. his shoulder was so sore he did not know if he could continue. Though from what Owen had said it looked like he would be at this the rest of the afternoon.

After lunch Gabe was once again struck by the ball and chain a few more times. He was getting tired but it was his arm gettin stiff that made him mess up a few times. Stubbornly Gabe kept hitting the "man" until owen said that it was time to finish up for the night.

Gabe was taken to a Sage and had an ointment rubbed on his shoulder that helped the pain a bit. He was tired and sore but mostly happy that he did not make a complete fool of himself.

• 2 weeks later...

Winter watched as the guardian showed him and Gabe how to use the practice target. Winter rubbed his arms, which were still sore from the other days work at the Blacksmith's shop, and thought to himself that he had seen this done before back in the Boarder Lands.

Owen told them that he would let them decide who would go first, and Gabe seemed to volenteer.

Winter watched him practice for a few swings before he picked up a pratice "Sword" and shield and walked over to an unocupied target.

He diecided to take is slow, slower atleast then Gabe who looked like his shield arm was already getting a good bruise, and poked the target "Shield" experimentaly. The ball and chain came around as it had for the guardian and he raised his shield and continued to put pressure on the target's shield till the ball and chain touched his shield.

Smileing to himself he hit the target a little harder this time, and was rewarded with a light smack on the arm from the ball and chain, he had forgotten to raise his shield. He tried again and was able to raise his shield a little earlier this time, and the ball and chain bounched off it.

He progressed this way for till mid-day, which is to say he progressivly hit the target harder until he wasnt able to get his shield up in time. When he encountered the speed that he had not raised his shield fast enough he would try again and practice at that speed until he was able to raise his shield in time.

By mid-day he had a nice bruise on his shield arm and walked towards the Hole in the Wall with a bundle of snow agisnt his arm, which helped take the pain away some.

After mid-day meal he returend to the practice yard and went back to beating on the target at a conftable speed, not as hard as he could hit it but still hard enough that he got the ball and chain to his arm a few more times before it was time to stop for the evening.

Walking back to the house he was bunking in he and Forest laughed over the days events, mostly on how Winter would be feeling the bruise for a while.

John Winterwinds and Forest Shadow.

Practice makes perfict, but it also hurts.

OOC: Sorry for the long delay.

• 1 year later...