DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Forsaken names

t-bag

The 'World of Robert Jordan's the Wheel of Time' says this about Be'lal 

While Rahvin preferred manipulation, the Forsaken known as Be'lal, the Envious, was a master of it, to the point that he was often known as the Netweaver.
I do not know if this is meant as a translation.

Semirhage might mean Lady of Pain.

Mmm. I suspect so too--from the scene in KoD, right?

The 'World of Robert Jordan's the Wheel of Time' says this about Be'lal 

While Rahvin preferred manipulation, the Forsaken known as Be'lal, the Envious, was a master of it, to the point that he was often known as the Netweaver.
I do not know if this is meant as a translation.

That's a good catch. Like Semirhage it isn't certain, but it does sound right.

I always thought Asmodean's name meant "Bela will save us" but it's a tricky translation, you know how the Old Tongue is.

*Kneecaps balefireruinssteaks* Or, at least I think I kneecapped him. Old Tongue translations can be quite tricky.

The forsaken being two dimessional villians has me thinking that their names are related to thier most obvious trait.

Be'lal-Netweaver (Lolial mentioned that too) his scheme in tDR was more complicated then a james bond villian's

Asmodean-Something to due with dischord

Mesaana-Cruel teacher

Aginor-Mad scienctist

ect. 

Found something from a long time ago that I printed off.  Don't remember for the life of me where I got it, but it was an excellent compendium of the old tongue.  This is the list it has of the forsaken names, first with base words, then the contracted/common name, then translation.

Agraniar n'dal (Graendal): Loss of Faith

Beiar elaldar (Be'lal): Weaver of Nets

Demar n'darede (Demandred): Herald of Ruin

Isiar m'ael (Ishamael): Betrayer of Hope

Laar n'fear (Lanfear): Daughter of the Night

M'agede norar (Aginor): Butcher

Mesoral m'sandane (Mesaana): Usurper of Knowledge

Mogediar (Moghedien): Spider

N'areta avatar (Rhavin): Madman's Voice

Samar m'ael (Sammael): Destroyer of Hope

Semiar m'siarade (Semirhage): Bather in Blood

It doesn't have anything for Balthemel or Asmodean, nor can I find any base words that might fit.

I think that's made up. In fact, I'm certain of it. You see the Old Tongue has actually been studied, and a linguistic database has been drawn up--those 'words' contradict that database. There have never been 'base words' for the names of the Forsaken which were shortened, or altered. I mean, take mogediar. A moghedian is a type of spider, like a hunstment or a tarantula, it does not actually mean spider. And it has not been altered either--moghedian was the name of that spider, not mogediar. These are not actual words in the Old Tongue--a language RJ actually developed, with its own linguistic rules. The best real compendium and database i've encountered is the Old Tongue Dictionary http://www.angelfire.com/tx/jcs97b/otd.html

These words have the sound of fantasy fans--just go look at the names people make up for their usernames, like your own Arath Faringal. I'm not insulting you or anything, just say that there is a sound to them. People inevitably try for the exotic, and more importantly, for the lymerical.

Also note how the supposed names for the ones we actually know are exact(Ishamael, Sammael), whilst the ones we suspect (such as Semirhage and Be'lal) are exactly same, but with different wordings. Then of the ones we don't know we have names that link to what we know of their pasts--Aginor=Butcher, Mesaana=Usurper of Knowledge.

It fits too neatly with guesswork. There are no surprises--and that was the mistake of whoever made this. Had, for instance, Mesaana been named Herald of Ruin I might have bought it. The Rahvin effort was even good--except Madmen's Voice has no link to him. He did not rave or anything like that. The key to good fiction is to be surprising, yet still link it to the character. Whoever made this up did not do either. His random ones were to random, and his correct ones were too correct.

Yeah, it's all bulldiddy. And slightly insulting bulldiddy at that. Whoever this [inappropriate noun] was, he did not create an excellent compendium of the Old Tongue, he made [stuff] up. It's probably why you can't find him anymore Arath.

Edited for naughtiness.

I think that's made up. In fact, I'm certain of it. You see the Old Tongue has actually been studied, and a linguistic database has been drawn up--those 'words' contradict that database. There have never been 'base words' for the names of the Forsaken which were shortened, or altered. I mean, take mogediar. A moghedian is a type of spider, like a hunstment or a tarantula, it does not actually mean spider. And it has not been altered either--moghedian was the name of that spider, not mogediar. These are not actual words in the Old Tongue--a language RJ actually developed, with its own linguistic rules. The best real compendium and database i've encountered is the Old Tongue Dictionary http://www.angelfire.com/tx/jcs97b/otd.html

These words have the sound of fantasy fans--just go look at the names people make up for their usernames, like your own Arath Faringal. I'm not insulting you or anything, just say that there is a sound to them. People inevitably try for the exotic, and more importantly, for the lymerical.

Also note how the supposed names for the ones we actually know are exact(Ishamael, Sammael), whilst the ones we suspect (such as Semirhage and Be'lal) are exactly same, but with different wordings. Then of the ones we don't know we have names that link to what we know of their pasts--Aginor=Butcher, Mesaana=Usurper of Knowledge.

It fits too neatly with guesswork. There are no surprises--and that was the mistake of whoever made this. Had, for instance, Mesaana been named Herald of Ruin I might have bought it. The Rahvin effort was even good--except Madmen's Voice has no link to him. He did not rave or anything like that. The key to good fiction is to be surprising, yet still link it to the character. Whoever made this up did not do either. His random ones were to random, and his correct ones were too correct.

Yeah, it's all bulldiddy. And slightly insulting bulldiddy at that. Whoever this twat was, he did not create an excellent compendium of the Old Tongue, he made [stuff] up. It's probably why you can't find him anymore Arath.

You said the S word! PG-13 PG-13 PG-13 PG-13 PG-13 PG-13 !

Edit: Cleaning up after Luckers...Boy sure can leave a mess ;D

Yeah, im guessing that it was some sort of RP thing, which makes it less offensive, though really he should state that it was pure fabrication at the beginning--as such its actually quite impressive. His legwork is brilliant, and just imagine how much time it took him. Honestly, I don't get people like this, but i was never into RP or anything like that. But hey, how right was i about the sound of fantasy fandom in the words. Lol.

Thanks for the effort Arath.

Haha. Yes. I'm sorry. I have a deep hatred for idiots who make stuff up and pass it off as real. I'll edit--though I used a word beginning with 't' which to my mind is much worse. Lol. I'll edit that too.

Wow am I cussing so much that I didn't even notice the S word? I gotta stop saying all that [sweetness] and stuff. Damn it I said it again, [puppies!]

ARGHHHH!!!!!!

Edited because if I can't have that satisfaction, no one can. And also it actually IS a PG-13 site (damn communists).

Haha. Yes. I'm sorry. I have a deep hatred for idiots who make stuff up and pass it off as real. I'll edit--though I used a word beginning with 't' which to my mind is much worse. Lol. I'll edit that too.
While you're at it, you might want to edit Arkinia's post, as he quoted the unedited version of your post. Or you might want to leave it, and help lead the youths on the site into bad habits. I much prefer the latter option.

Archived