DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

To Be Found Again (Attn: Tay)

TaiDashan

Rahien woke slowly from yet another dream of running with the wolves. He could feel the the wind in his fur, could almost taste the metallic tang of blood on his tongue. He woke up more fully with a start at that thought. He didn't have fur. His head flopped back to the cloak he had been using for his pillow. In the weeks since returning to his family's cottage, Rahien had slept in the kitchen by the wood stove. It was the warmest place in the house with what meager wood he could find and he had grown accustomed to sleeping in the forest and not indoors. He sat up with a sigh and pushed aside the spare cloak he had lain over him for warmth. Poking the sleeping embers with a stick, and adding more wood to the stove he got the fire revived in short order. He set about warming his hands and eating some dried meat, alternatingly washing it down with his waterskin.

His last trip away from home had been a few months. Truth be told, he had lost count exactly how long as his return trips to the cottage had been brief and only to replenish supplies the forest surrounding their home could not provide. He stared into the flames... through the flames, and they danced in his eyes as he thought about why his parents had left their home. Pain had driven him away from home, away from his family. He suspected that it was pain that had forced his parents to leave the Cottage. He was angry with them for leaving, angry with himself for staying away so long, angry at the Creator for allowing his siblings to perish. Amidst the anger a familiar image brushed his mind. He had been confused at first by the images that entered his mind. Most of the time they seemed disjointed and jumbled. There were times they made a sort of sense however and one image, group of images really, he had come to recognize every time. The she-wolf stepped into the doorway and looked at him with the golden eyes that mirrored his own. Snow wasn't exactly the image he got from her, it was more than that. It was fresh fallen snow at the breaking of dawn. When the light first broke over the horizon, the moment of illumination. The smell of the Winter wind, The purest white of the unbroken snow. It was all these things and more.

She had been the one in the clearing that day, she had been the one to comfort him when he returned to the cottage to find his family gone, and in a way she was like a sister. He could not explain exactly how. Rising to his feet he met her at the door. He knew she would not come into the building as it made her uneasy. She licked his hand and turned to go. Trotting a few steps she glanced back, tongue lolling. Again images flooded his mind and he shook his head. "Not today Snow." With a final look she trotted back into the trees.

The images had scared him at first, He had thought he was losing his mind. He still was not entirely sure that he wasn't, but had accepted the fact that sometimes he knew what Snow wanted. For instance that she checked on him every morning, and every time wanted him to leave the cottage and return to the forest with her. He got images from other wolves too. But none so common or familiar as Snow. As he turned back into the home, he caught sight of a piece of wood his father had been working. Picking it up he felt the anger surfacing again. Why hadn't he done something to protect his family? Why didn't he try to understand his pain? All he ever did was tell him it would be ok, that the Wheel wove as the Wheel willed. Tears filled his eyes and he dashed them away angrily. Picking up the ladder back chair he hurled it explosively against the far wall with an anguished cry. Images flooded his mind, almost drowning out his anger someone was coming. Snow felt happy about it although he was not quite sure how he knew that. Just then a figure stepped into the doorway.

Rhya’s eyes swept over the stone cottage, noting the thin curl of smoke climbing high from the single chimney, a tell tale sign of occupancy. The building seemed tiny from such a distance but reassured her that she was at least in the right place. She compared the details of the scene ahead with the images in her memory, still confused as to why the wolves had chosen to tell her, of all people, about this. They would have their own reasons of course, which they might decide she should be privy to... or not.

She knew she was taking a risk being out here alone given the recent cold snap and the heavy snows of just a few weeks before but the journey had not been a long one. Her lips quirked a little as soon as the thought materialised. Rhya was never truly alone. Shadow rarely strayed far from her side these days, true to his name for once and, when not closely watching Owen, Ice would join them too, trailing along in their wake. The older wolf was loathe to go very far or be gone overly long from the Infirmary so those occasions were few and far between and only ever with Rhya and Shadow.

Rhya shook her head attempting to rid herself of the miasma of grief that descended every time she allowed her thoughts to dwell on the Ranger and his condition. That he was still alive was surprising enough according to the Sages but there was little sign of even that small blessing as he lay unmoving under the pristine sheets of his sick bed.

She shrugged, shifting the weight of her pack further up her shoulder and tugging her hair from under the strap before striding onwards once more. It would not take long to cover the remaining distance but she was more thankful than ever for her ranger cloak, its heavy folds comforting in the shelter they provided from the wind’s keen edge. The sun was barely risen however and the temperature would hopefully increase in the next couple of hours.

The land here, slightly to the north of Baerlon, was unknown to Rhya and she had soaked up the new sights and sounds during the journey with an avid curiousity whilst avoiding the more populated areas. To the west lay extensive forest, a green blanket covering the face of the earth and stretching as far as the eye could see whilst to the east was mainly arable land.

Good country for wolves, she mused and almost immediately was bombarded by a series of images and impressions. They obviously originated with the same wolf who had been communicating with Shadow and herself since the previous night and there was a distinct sense of gratitude and... happiness? about the sendings. At least their presence was welcome to someone. Rhya was not half so certain the Wanderer would be waiting with open arms. She was aware from listening to Owen and Lorelai that many new ‘Kin did not react well to their Howling. Indeed it had not been so long since her own that she could not understand how traumatic it sometimes was. Still, they were here now. She had made her headstrong choice and she would have to cope with whatever occurred, hoping merely that this Wanderer would not be another Arienna.

Up close the cottage looked homely and tidy, cared for... a place for family. Yet there was no sign of movement. Rhya moved forward cautiously, senses alert as she headed across the yard picking her way around various implements and obstacles. It took only moments for her keen gaze to spot the lone female wolf, standing silent and still against the trees bordering the property. It appeared the wolf had been on the point of leaving but now, she moved back in their direction and Rhya faintly picked up the exchange between this strange wolf and Shadow. Seconds later Rhya had a name for this new acquaintance and nodded approvingly. Snow... as close as she could make out at any rate.

Their little tableau was broken up suddenly though. A crash sounding from inside the cottage and echoing round the yard had Rhya’s head flying up, all attention on the doorway. Gathering her wits, she straightened her spine and stepped lightly inside, her booted feet whispering on the flagstones and allowed her sight to adjust to the interior dimness.

A quick scan of the room showed the source of the crash, broken pieces of chair lying at the foot of the far wall. The tear stained face of the young man before her told the other half of the story. Anger and sadness. Feelings that Rhya knew and recognised all too well reflected back at her in the eyes of a stranger and she struggled to suppress her own reaction, forcing herself to concentrate solely on the person before her who needed her help. Reassurance flooded into her mind from Shadow and she finally spoke, keeping her voice calm and friendly, letting her hands fall open to illustrate the lack of threat in her presence.

“I’m Rhya. Your friend Snow here requested my help,” she paused, humour creeping into her tone and wondering what his response would be to an amber-eyed woman appearing from nowhere. “I can see why if you’re in the habit of breaking furniture. Wolves aren’t too good at housekeeping.”

Rhya’s head tilted and she waited, ready for anything. Would he run? She hoped not, she’d rather have something to eat and as if on cue, her tummy rumbled.

Rahien froze. Standing completely still with muscles tensed, he was ready to spring at a moment's notice. The fact that it was a woman in the doorway did not put him anymore at ease either. These were ill times and a woman would slit your throat for half the reason and with twice the conviction. The feelings from Snow had happened moments before this woman stepped into the cottage, and had not given him time to be anything other than surprised. The racing of his disjointed thoughts started to slow and he noticed with a shock the woman's eyes. The only other time he had seen eyes close to that color on a human was he himself.

Her hands fell open to her sides and she spoke softly and slowly. “I’m Rhya. Your friend Snow here requested my help,” Confusion clouded his mind like early morning fog. How did she know Snow? It had to be some kind of trick... “I can see why if you’re in the habit of breaking furniture. Wolves aren’t too good at housekeeping.” The note of humor in her tone was swallowed in that fog, leaving only the shadowy outline of her words to reach for him. His eyes tightened and a low growl rumbled faintly in his throat. She had no right to intrude on him in such a private moment. She tilted her head.

Rahien realized his hands were flexing slowly and forced them to stillness. With an effort akin to holding back the motion of the Earth, he slowly pushed the seething mist of pain-filled rage downward. He had to think clearly.

Snow brushed past the woman's leg and through the cottage doorway to gaze at him silently. She never before had come under this roof. She stayed but a few steps from the doorway, her unease apparent, but her gaze never left him. Urgency flooded his mind from her and he glanced once more at the woman, Rhya.

With an effort he forced his voice to stillness, only a hint of gruffness and pain remaining. "Who are you, and what are you doing here?" The question was simple but it hung in the frosty air like the plumes of their breath. He would give her a chance to answer. He owed Snow that much. That was the only reason his belt knife was still at his hip.

• 2 weeks later...

Rhya considered the man before her for a moment before responding. He looked to her as though he might attack at any second and smelled the same...tense. Clearly this was going to involve a little more reassurance than the simple fact that she was without a weapon... at least any weapon that can be seen, she thought in amusement, knowing that her sword was hidden in the folds of her cloak along with her daggers.

Her expression hardened slightly at his tone, though she forced her words to remain quiet and measured.

“Where I come from, we greet guests a shade more politely than that,” the censure in her voice was short lived as she continued, “but I can see that I’ve interrupted a... rather personal moment. My sorrow and my apologies for so doing but I had thought perhaps the occupant was under attack. The ‘Kin often are when they’re first found you know.”

The blank look on the stranger’s face reminded her that, in fact, he did not know anything of the kind and she hurried on, explaining more clearly.

“I belong to a group of people just like yourself... like both of us,” she pointed at her eyes. “We are called the Wolfkin or ‘Kin and we live together in a special place where we can learn about our gifts and protect each other from harm. You do realise that you can communicate with wolves?” her voice lilted queryingly. “Of course you do or your friend Snow here would not have contacted us for assistance.”

Rhya paused, waiting for a comment but when none was forthcoming she carried on speaking, resigned to the knowledge that convincing him just might take some time.

“The ‘Kin have abilities which are ancient, from a time past but come again. We are not darkfriends nor evil, though some would have it so when they see our eyes and many of us are attacked or hounded from our homes, rejected by family or simply alienated from all that is familiar to us.” Rhya’s gaze intensified, willing the man to listen closely and accept her words. “You are what we call a Wanderer, one who is lost and must be brought to their true home. I, for the moment, am what we call a Tracker, someone who finds and helps a Wanderer. We do not force people to accept help but should you wish it, you are welcome to return with me and meet the others, to live with us and learn all of that which you need to know.”

Shadow entered the cottage then and moved close to her, his midnight coloured fur barely touching her leg as though to lend weight to what she said. Surely the presence of a second wolf would make the situation clear?

Rhya brushed the hood of her cloak further back impatiently, shaking her dark hair loose from its confines and reached down to scratch behind Shadow’s ear in gratitude. “You can ask any questions you like, my friend, but it would be helpful if you could tell me your name and perhaps we might eat while we talk? It has been a fair walk from last night’s camp.” A plaintive note sounded through the final comment and her stomach rumbled more loudly a second time causing her to blush faintly in embarrassment. Trackers are surely supposed to be more dignified than this? Winifred might just gut me when I get back!!

Rahien listened carefully, but warily, to the woman's words when she spoke. He forced himself to so that he could think clearly. 'Hasty actions spoil the effort' his dad always used to say. That threatened to fan the embers of his tumultuous emotions, and he ruthlessly stomped them out.

“Where I come from, we greet guests a shade more politely than that, but I can see that I’ve interrupted a... rather personal moment. My sorrow and my apologies for so doing but I had thought perhaps the occupant was under attack. The ‘Kin often are when they’re first found you know.”

His immediate reaction was to retort that where he came from they didn't barge in to other people's houses. The retort died in his throat as her words rolled on. Her apology dampened his anger slightly before confusion rolled in once more. Kin? What on earth was she talking about? Her kin? No, she had said the kin.

“I belong to a group of people just like yourself... like both of us,” She pointed at her eyes and with a start he realized again that they shared a color with his own, if darker. “We are called the Wolfkin or ‘Kin and we live together in a special place where we can learn about our gifts and protect each other from harm. You do realize that you can communicate with wolves?” She asked, pausing briefly. “Of course you do or your friend Snow here would not have contacted us for assistance.”

Her words rolled over him like an avalanche rolling downhill. His hackles still stood on end but-. His thoughts swirled in the fog of confusion. What? Hackles? Humans didn't have hackles. Before his thoughts could come together she continued.

“The ‘Kin have abilities which are ancient, from a time past but come again. We are not darkfriends nor evil, though some would have it so when they see our eyes and many of us are attacked or hounded from our homes, rejected by family or simply alienated from all that is familiar to us.”

That struck a chord within him and years of loneliness resonated across the chasm of his soul. He waited for the emptiness to be filled with pain as so often it was, but softly another feeling whispered within him as she continued to speak. Hope filled him cautiously, hope and...belonging.

“You are what we call a Wanderer, one who is lost and must be brought to their true home. I, for the moment, am what we call a Tracker, someone who finds and helps a Wanderer. We do not force people to accept help but should you wish it, you are welcome to return with me and meet the others, to live with us and learn all of that which you need to know.” A dark furred wolf stepped into the room and casually moved to stand next to Rhya. Golden eyes studied him from within a face as dark as Snow was white.

~Home~

It came so strongly this time that he had to blink. He felt it to his toes, a place where the sun shone through the trees. Children laughing and playing with wolf cubs, a group of people who truly understood one another and cared. Home didn't quite do what he felt in his head justice, but it would do.

“You can ask any questions you like, my friend," She said, reaching down to scratch the wolf between the ears. but it would be helpful if you could tell me your name and perhaps we might eat while we talk? It has been a fair walk from last night’s camp.”  Her stomach rumbled and he watched as a faint heat rose in her cheeks. Rahien slowly sat in the only remaining chair. It was not for fear of the wolf next to Rhya, or of the woman herself. His mind was simply trying to take it all in and his absent motions surely conveyed such. He needed time to think. Snow padded softly over to him, another shock, and rested her head in his lap. Her golden eyes shone in the dim interior light, and again he felt those almost-words flare in the back of his head like a sunrise.

~Come, Brother of the Dawn. Safety. Family.~

He had never before felt a name for himself in one of those sendings. He could not explain how, but he could not deny it was attached to him. Maybe it was more like Dawn Brother. He gazed into Snow's eyes. Slowly he stretched out his awareness with his hand, slowly and with caution. He softly scratched the white wolf between the eyes and tentatively thought,

~You are family now. I will come.~

With a start he realized that he was sitting in the only chair, and that he had left his food by the stove. Getting to his feet embarrassed he motioned to the kitchen.

"I have some bread and cheese, and a fire to warm yourself." He said cautiously. "Forgive me for my wariness but these are dark times and a stranger at your door is not always a welcome thing." His stomach rumbled and he realized it was getting close to mid-day.

Snow seemed at ease with their presence although what she said had sounded somewhat hard to swallow. But it made a strange sort of sense when everything in his world had ceased to do so. He would sit and eat with her a while and try to find out more, maybe he wasn't going crazy. Maybe she would be able to provide some answers. Leading the way into the kitchen he was pleasantly surprised to see Snow follow him and lay by the fire, her head resting on her paws. He took a seat by the makeshift bedding and offered Rhya some bread and cheese.

"I have some questions for you as I assume you would expect." Realizing that he still had not told her his name he covered his blush by taking a bite of cheese. After he swallowed he spoke. "My name is Rahien by the way. I am sorry for my rudeness, I have not been around another human for sometime now." She nodded slowly and he hurried on to fill the silence. "Why does this happen? Why can I tell what she is thinking sometimes?" He motioned to Snow. "Can you read my mind too? What is going to happen to me now?" He had a million more questions but stopped and took a steadying breath. No need to flood her with questions. It was just nice to finally find someone who could tell him what in the Light was going on.

With her heightened senses at full stretch, she felt his anger dampen to a lesser degree though the wariness remained. He was listening still which was a good sign and she watched the conflicting emotions chase across his face like storm clouds across the sky. There was no need to try and imagine what he was thinking or going through in that moment. She’d gone through the process herself; doubting, arguing, afraid, uncertain.

Rhya felt the change in his scent the second it happened, sudden and sharp. What had triggered it? The man blinked as though waking from a dream, his expression altering subtly and she tried to discern what had caused the reaction. Thinking over her last words, realisation dawned in her eyes and her gaze sharpened, scrutinising him while he sank involuntarily into a nearby chair. Home... it means something to him. It’s more than merely a word. Rhya’s interest was well and truly caught, since the concept of home had been such a multi faceted one for her in recent months. She could understand that, relate to the hope that was slowly blossoming in the young man.

Caught up in her own thoughts, she did not at first realise that he was speaking but the timbre of his voice finally penetrated her brain, dragging her attention back to the current. Nodding at his offer of bread and cheese, Rhya waited while he stood and followed him through to the small kitchen area, noting that some exchange seemed to be taking place between the human and the snowy wolf.

"My name is Rahien by the way. I am sorry for my rudeness, I have not been around another human for sometime now,” he said once they were both comfortably seated.

She nodded thoughtfully, accepting the apology at face value and automatically translating the name from the Old Tongue in some corner of her brain. Her lessons proved to be useful in the oddest circumstances. Hunger getting the better of her, she bit into what turned out to be a remarkably tangy piece of cheese. Mouth watering with pleasure, she took another bite, rolling it around on her tongue. No-one could accuse her of not having a healthy appetite these days. A flash of humour flitted into her mind from Shadow and she had to stop herself sticking her tongue out at him but a barrage of questions from across the table helped.

For the first time, Rhya’s own reticence dropped away and she grinned broadly, full of relief. So, he will not run. He will do as I did and accept the path before him. Maybe I’ll keep my skin intact after all. The questions were fair payment for those she had plied Owen with. Turn and turn about, but I will definitely not be a Tracker. How exhausting to face these same queries time and again. No, it is assuredly a Ranger path for me, the rightness of the decision suffused her with well being as she marshalled her words to reply.

“We don’t know why this happens, Rahien. What you are experiencing... have been experiencing... is called the Howling. You are old for it, as I was. Most people are younger. The images you get from Snow are part of it, a kind of communication that few people will ever know. That is the kinship for which we are named. Kin to the wolves.” Rhya’s eyes sparkled with subdued laughter, “No, I cannot read your mind any more than you can read mine. Your bond with Snow is special, though you may talk to other wolves too if they choose to allow it. It seems that you have found your wolf companion... or rather, she has found you. Some of us are lucky to gain that companionship early, others take many years and yet others never do.”

She polished off the last bite of bread and brushed her fingers lightly over her thighs to get rid of the crumbs. “What may give you that impression is another ability the ‘Kin have. Our senses are stronger, sharper than ordinary people's. Have you not noticed that you can see better in the dark than before? That you smell things from further away? That your movements are more agile, more stealthy? All of these are but a small part of our gift.” Rhya was pleased to note how avidly Rahien was soaking up the information she imparted. As long as he was curious, he was not likely to go crazy or become unmanageable and she guessed he had, subconsciously, come to terms with the changes in himself some time ago.

“As to what will happen to you... that is up to you... Dawn Brother,” she dropped the name casually, mischievously, having gleaned it from Snow through Shadow only seconds before. “You have a choice before you now. Stay... and be alone here with only Snow for company, facing the risk of attack from other humans daily. Or come with me, meet your new family and gain safety and support from others who will understand and teach you. Make no mistake, the decision is fully yours but make it quickly. Time is not standing still and the risk to all of us grows greater the longer we tarry.”

Slowly he chewed his tangy cheese and listened to her explanation. He caught a whiff of wood smoke and realized the chimney had not been cleared out for some time.

“We don’t know why this happens, Rahien. What you are experiencing... have been experiencing... is called the Howling. You are old for it, as I was. Most people are younger. The images you get from Snow are part of it, a kind of communication that few people will ever know. That is the kinship for which we are named. Kin to the wolves. No, I cannot read your mind any more than you can read mine. Your bond with Snow is special, though you may talk to other wolves too if they choose to allow it. It seems that you have found your wolf companion... or rather, she has found you. Some of us are lucky to gain that companionship early, others take many years and yet others never do.”

She paused for a moment and Rahien took a moment to consider her words. He pondered this so called Howling she spoke of. He did feel like howling from time to time that was for sure. His golden eyes swept around the kitchen's interior. This was the home that he had grown up in for some of his life. The home that he had lived part of his life in. It did not feel like home though. It had not for a long time.

After his siblings had died, he had fled to the refuge of the forest. Solitary reflection and a sense of peace had come from the simplicity and beauty of nature. Rahien remembered days swimming in the pond and catching rabbits for food.

“What may give you that impression is another ability the ‘Kin have. Our senses are stronger, sharper than ordinary people's. Have you not noticed that you can see better in the dark than before? That you smell things from further away? That your movements are more agile, more stealthy? All of these are but a small part of our gift.”

Some of those things he had indeed noticed. Most of it had happened so gradually he had taken for granted the change until it was noticed by his family. He had stayed away from those thoughts when mentioned, but now considered them in the full light of contemplation.

“As to what will happen to you... that is up to you... Dawn Brother,” Instantly he was wary again. How had she known that name? She had said she could not read minds yet he had only heard that from Snow previously. Years of pain and isolation crashing in, his emotional wall slammed back into place. He had relaxed to far. He realized with an inward start that he had started to rise from the table. Hastily he relaxed slightly, and let himself remain seated.

“You have a choice before you now. Stay... and be alone here with only Snow for company, facing the risk of attack from other humans daily. Or come with me, meet your new family and gain safety and support from others who will understand and teach you. Make no mistake, the decision is fully yours but make it quickly. Time is not standing still and the risk to all of us grows greater the longer we tarry.”

His feelings raged within him. The warmth of hope, sliced to shreds by doubt and fear. waves of panic, surging up within him and crashing heavily against his thoughts. Snow quickly rose to her feet looking at him urgently. He realized that this time he had risen out of his chair and was slowly backing away. It was all so confusing, so new. A part of him knew what Rhya was saying had to be right. That part of him was currently drowning in a sea of conflicting emotions. He just had to get his head clear, just needed a moment to think. the walls, they were to close and the air in here was too smoky, he just needed to.. he just needed to... Tensed to bolt out of the cottage and into the trees he was stopped dead as thoughts blossomed in his head.

~Peace Dawn Brother, safety.~He glanced at Snow, feeling concern coming from her.

"I just need, some time to think." He said haltingly. His hand to his head he slowly headed for the door. "Just some fresh air.."

Rhya tensed, preparing herself for she knew not what. The waves of panic pouring from Rahien were so violent as to be almost tangible. He was clearly torn by some inner conflict but she had no clues as to what was at the root of it. There was more to this than just trying to come to terms with change... perhaps some past events playing upon his heart and mind.

She looked to the wolves but got nothing more from them, Shadow relaying that Snow would not speak of a matter so personal. At least, that was what Rhya took from the images he sent.

Rahien had risen abruptly, backing away from the table and, perhaps more significantly, from her. She did not blame him given the tidings she had imparted. The explanations were not the easiest to accept nor to believe.

Not that I had any real difficulty with it, she acknowledged ruefully. She had taken Owen at his word. He was not the kind of person one disbelieved. And now my own lack of experience is showing. I might make a complete mess of this and it would be no-one’s fault but my own. She tsked her tongue lightly against her teeth, keeping her eyes fixed to the unpredictable figure across the room, well aware that her own choice of words had instigated this crisis.

Snow intervened again however and Rhya was grateful for that much of a reprieve. Whatever was said between the two brought Rahien back a little from the edge of running though he still sought escape of a sort.

"I just need, some time to think," he said haltingly, heading towards the cottage door. "Just some fresh air..."

“Yes, of course,” she replied softly to his retreating back. “We have some time.”

She remained seated, realising that he needed space to get his emotions under control... if he could... and to reach a decision in his own way.

The responsibility of the situation lay squarely on her shoulders and she suddenly, desperately, wished that Owen was there with the added wisdom and knowledge of his years. She had become so used to his calm presence when doing something new, to the comfort of knowing his guidance was at hand. Rhya’s shoulders drooped, the tears she’d refused to shed all these weeks seeping from under lowered lashes. Frantically, she scrubbed the heels of her hands over her face. She couldn’t show this kind of weakness, not here and not now. A hastily muffled sob caught at the back of her throat at the gamut of memories pressing forward insistently. Shadow’s muzzle nudged at her arm in concern, his own sadness mingling with hers. Sheer stubborn strength of will had Rhya stiffening her spine and pushing the grief away once more.

“There will be a time to let go but now is not it,” she mumbled beneath her breath. “He lives... he does still live. There is hope.”

Dragging in several gulps of air, the girl stood, unaware of how fragile she suddenly looked and stepped towards the barrel of water set in the corner of the room as Shadow's gaze tracked her movements. Slowly she filled a cup and took a long draught and hoped that she could be on her way soon... on her way home... she wanted to go home.

Rahien half stumbled out the door, blinking after the relative dimness indoors. Snow crunched under his feet where it had frozen in the shade of the cottage. Thoughts whirled madly though his head as he gulped the icy air and he almost missed the words floating out the door behind him.

“Yes, of course, We have some time.”

Snow padded out to sit by the door and watch him. He was more than grateful for her presence. She had come to him when he had felt most alone, had almost convinced himself that no one would ever understand or care. He had abandoned his normal routine of hunting and fishing that morning to sit and stare at where she had disappeared into the trees. That day was when he first started getting those images in the back of his head. The images had frightened him. He had fought with himself over whether he had finally gone mad or not.

Amidst his whirling thoughts one stuck out. He had not considered that others might think him darkfriend or attempt to harm him because of the changes he was going through. His Mother and Father had tried to understand, but he knew they were afraid of him and what was happening. Oh they didn't say as much, but the lack of discussion, having trouble meeting his eyes, the sudden departure. It all suddenly made sense with the new knowledge Rhya had given him.

He felt the morning call of nature and tossed a quick glance over his shoulder toward the cottage. The doorway remained dark and it seemed that Rhya had not followed him. Walking a short way into the trees he busied himself with untying the strip of cloth at his waist, and let his thoughts drift to what Rhya had said.

We do not force people to accept help but should you wish it, you are welcome to return with me and meet the others, to live with us and learn all of that which you need to know.”

It truly did sound good, and Light knew he needed help. Relieving himself with a sigh, closed his eyes.

The splash of icy cold water against her skin was refreshing and brought Rhya fully back to the present situation. Shaking her head, the fine droplets of water landing in splotches in the dust at her feet, she dragged fingers through her thick tangle of hair, using the dampness to smooth any loose ends back from her eyes.

Certain that she had a grip on herself, she hastily left the confines of the small cottage and stepped into the open air with a feeling of relief. The sun was high up in the sky now, the passage of time having gone unnoticed through the events of the morning and the warmth had her tilting her head back to catch its rays on her upturned face.

“Better,” she murmured, shrugging out of her heavy cloak and the looking around to see Shadow had followed her. He flopped to the ground on a piece of grass at the edge of the yard, tongue lolling as he watched her.

I’m fine Shadow. I’m not so sure about our Wanderer though. Where has he gone?

Not far, came the unconcerned thought. In the woods.

Shadow was not one to waste words, sparing in his explanations and trusting that Rhya would follow them. Any lack in their exchanges was purely on her side being yet new to their form of communicating.

Rhya snorted and scanned the tree line looking for any sign of passage without truly expecting to see any. Sure enough, the unbroken wall of undergrowth showed nothing and she resigned herself to waiting, glad that at least it was not raining.

“He cannot run from who he is, Shadow,” she stated firmly. “He will have to make a choice.”

Wise words, the wolf’s humour-laced comment reached her clearly. You never have any trouble making choices.

The irony of that last was not lost on Rhya and in spite of herself, she started to chuckle and then to laugh outright. “Indeed. Fair point my friend,” she eventually managed with a grin. “Well if we must wait, I shall at least have something more than bread and cheese to sustain me.”

She located her pack, rummaging for a few moments before emerging with an apple in one hand. “A taste of home,” she said lightly, ignoring the knot of pain in her chest. “This should do for now.” Her thoughts turned to the return journey and she leaned back against the cottage wall, contemplating whether to take the same route or a different one and keeping one ear open for Rahien’s footfall.

Finishing up in the woods, Rahien trudged his way back to the back of the cottage. Snow was at the treeline waiting for him and he bent briefly to scratch her behind the ears and look into her eyes.

~Can you really understand me?~ He thought tentatively. He felt her affirmation in images he couldn't quite put words to. It was like a mother or a sister talking to a son or brother, the way Snow felt in his head. He sat and stared at Snow for a bit before rising with a sigh.

Luckily the snow was only ankle deep, and making his way back to the cottage presented little difficulty. Rhya was leaning against the cottage with an apple in her hand, munching happily. She was a pretty woman, not much to his liking but pretty. Casually he walked up to her.

"I just have a few things inside to get before I am ready to leave." At her nod of assent he darted inside, to gather his meager belongings. The interior smelled strongly of woodsmoke and something Rhya had said tickled his mind with light fingers.

That you smell things from further away? It was true, he was able to see better in the dim light, could smell things more strongly than before.

His cloak would come in handy if he was going to be traveling far. Grabbing it from the floor he glanced around. There were a few items he would like to have. He grabbed them and dropped them into his scrip. Throwing his scrip over his shoulder, he grabbed the last of the food he had gathered and stuffed it in his belt pouch. He paused for a moment. His earlier pace had been brisk and purposeful, now his steps slowed and hesitation weighted his limbs. Shaking his head he slowly climbed the stairs.

Stepping into his parent's onetime bedroom, he sat on the edge of their bed. He allowed himself a moment to say goodbye and gathered a couple of things from each of them to take with him. From his mother, a richly hued amber stone worked with a pin. From his father, a strap of braided leather that he had used to tie back his hair. Pinning the stone to the braided leather he tied his dark brown hair back with it at the nape of his neck. Nodding to himself he said his goodbyes and headed back downstairs, two at a time. Personal demons chased him to the back door.

Popping his head out of the door he called to Rhya. "Ok, all ready. Going through the house will be faster than going around." What he didn't say was that he wanted to walk through one last time before leaving, the house he had been born in.

Rhya cursed herself for a light blinded fool before the end of their second day’s travel.

There had been good reasons not to bring a horse, let alone two, but that didn’t make the walking any more tolerable. She had not wanted to risk being thought a thief on top of being a runaway and had avoided the stables completely. She thought back to her journey through the snow with Owen and hoped frevently that no such weather would be encountered on this occasion. The ground was still covered in a white blanket but it was starting to melt a little and the sun had held so far despite the cold.

Her glance cut across to her companion who trudged silently alongside. Rahien had not spoken much since their departure from the cottage. Rhya had expected questions by the dozen but they had not been forthcoming, his thoughts obviously occupied elsewhere.

Can’t blame him for that, she thought, aware that she’d been rather taciturn herself. Her own mind was preoccupied with the situation back at the Stedding and the state of Owen’s health. It’s not every day that you get torn from all you know... or have your thoughts on the world and your place in it turned upside down.

Rhya caught a slight flicker from the corner of her eye and knew without looking that it was either Shadow or Snow. The wolves were like two ghosts, cutting a roughly parallel path to their two legged counterparts, rarely seen but always there, an added security. Every flash of white fur made Rhya start, reminding her so vividly of the more familiar sight of Ice and Shadow running together.

The route she had chosen took them well clear of any settlements since she had enough provisions to negate any need for contact with strangers. That was always a risky business and taking risks was not something she intended to do with a Wanderer in tow. She had no idea what Rahien’s abilities were with weapons. Her own were adequate... excellent if only using her daggers... but it would be better not to borrow trouble. At least, no more than she was already in.

A small copse of trees provided their shelter that night. It was not safe enough to light a fire but it would do to snatch a few hours sleep and keep them sufficiently hidden from any prying eyes. She was glad of her training in constructing basic shelters, putting them up with reasonable speed as Rahien gathered the materials for her. It was a relief to have some minimal protection from the bone chilling temperatures.

Rousing herself from her reverie as they shared a cold meal, Rhya spoke quietly, determined to break the silence that had shrouded them. She estimated that they had roughly another 3 or 4 days of travel ahead and without conversation, it could get very tedious.

“When we reach home, I’ll be taking you to the Infirmary to see a Sage, Rahien. It’s nothing to be concerned about. The Sages are like Wisdoms. They merely check you over to ensure that you’re sound of limb and not losing your mind,” her amber eyes sparkled with sudden humour. “You’re not are you? I’d hate to have to leave you stranded in the middle of nowhere.” She tossed an apple to her companion, hoping that the teasing might lighten his mood somewhat.

For two days now they had trudged along through thick undergrowth and patches of snow. On the first day, Rahien had been occupied with thoughts of his life as it had been before his last sibling had died. Thoughts of his family, the cottage he was raised in, all filled his head as he contemplated the way things had gone. Rahien was a thinker. And so, in silence, they had traveled with little said from Rhya and even less from him.

Hills and trees meandered past as they set a fairly quick pace along the River Arinelle. Halfway into the second day's journey, they emerged to the plains around the River Maneteherendrelle. It cut the landscape like a shallow hatchet stroke, pushing southward to Baerlon. As the sun reached its zenith, Rahien felt a sending from Snow and he nearly stumbled in his surprise.

~Dreams change Brother of the Dawn~

Other images followed but he wasn't able to make out their meaning. It had been like that for awhile now, some things making sense, others none at all. Until now, Snow had been a flicker of movement caught out of the side of his vision at best and the sending was unexpected.

For the remainder of the day, Rahien thought on Snow's meaning. He had once thought to grow up the oldest, an example for his siblings. To one day take over the cottage and carve out a life for himself and a family of his own. Those dreams had taken a blow with the death of each brother or sister. As he had withdrawn more and more into the woods, he had dreamed of living alone. No one to care about but himself and nature. His dreams had changed. And it seemed they would have to change again...

The Pattern if not the Creator himself had given him this..this...thing that allowed him to speak with Snow, and other wolves if Rhya was to be believed. He glanced at the woman out of the side of his eye, watching her as they both walked through the low scrub of the plains. She seemed honest enough. In truth, he actually sort of liked her. But so much time living alone, and much loss, had him doubtful and mistrusting.

The first night Rhya had insisted that they not build a fire. Rahien had been disappointed as it was bitter cold. He hadn't slept much that night and said less. Tonight he feared would be the same. There was little hope for a fire out in the open, when one hidden by the trees had not been permitted.

Slowly Rahien mulled the information over in his mind that Rhya had given him. He had noticed on the walk here that his sense of sight, smell and hearing had gotten better, though not as much as Rhya seemed to profess. His eyes had turned that strange golden color the two wolves shared with himself and Rhya. It was not that he denied that she may be right, just more of a vain attempt at understanding.

As night closed in like an icy fist, Rhya led them to a copse of trees set on a small rise. Rhya instructed him on what materials to gather for a shelter as if he did not know. It bothered him slightly but he did not let it show past his silence. Once they were settled and eating, his hopes for a fire carried away on the icy wind, Rhya spoke up. She had seemed to allow the silence until now.

“When we reach home, I’ll be taking you to the Infirmary to see a Sage, Rahien. It’s nothing to be concerned about. The Sages are like Wisdoms. They merely check you over to ensure that you’re sound of limb and not losing your mind, You’re not are you? I’d hate to have to leave you stranded in the middle of nowhere. She said tossing him an apple.

Rahien's dark eyes studied her intently for a long moment before speaking, the silence stretching as he huddled in his cloak for warmth. He knew he should smile at the attempted humor, but he was cold and he had not felt like laughing in a long time. Instead he let out a deep sigh that felt like it came from his toes. He was tired from walking, tired of feeling like he was fumbling around whenever she looked at him. Tired of apologizing for not being used to the company of other humans.

"No, I am not losing my mind although I almost wish I was." He looked at her levelly. "It would make all this much easier to swallow." He held up a hand to forestall anymore reassurance that she was telling him the truth, and hastily snatched it back when the cold invaded the warmth of his cloak.

"I believe you speak truthfully. I do not know how long ago this 'howling' was for you. But I am sure you understand what it is like to suddenly have this knowledge thrust upon you. Add on top of that, months and months of being alone only to be told that you are being taken to live with a group of people you have never met." Taking a large bite of the apple he chewed for a moment consideringly before wiping the juice from his chin and continuing.

"You have been honest with me...Fair is fair. Growing up I lost five siblings, one after the other." He knew the pain was thickening his voice but he could not bring himself to stop now that he had begun. "My father gave me poor excuses in return for my grief and my mother was little better. I could not stand to be in that cottage you found me in until after they had gone and so took to the woods. There I have made my home for over 2 years, truth be told I know not how long exactly." He paused for a moment as his throat threatened to close tighter than a rusty hinge. Hearing Snow pad softly into the camp he was peculiarly bolstered.

"Snow has been my only friend and even that from afar. Many things have changed recently and you are the first chance at explaining those things." Silence stretched on for a moment before Rhya responded.

That night as Rahien huddled in his cloak in the makeshift shelter, his breath caught as a shadow was silhouetted in the wan moonlight. It was short lived however, as the shape melted into Snow's head. Softly she padded over to where he lay.

~I will keep you warm Brother of the Dawn, sleep now the journey is long~

Rahien fought back the tears as he scratched the thick fur behind her ears. "Thank you." He murmured, his throat tight. For the first night in a long time, Rahien A'Din drifted off to sleep, feeling that maybe...just maybe, he was not completely alone in the world.

Rhya scanned the horizon constantly on all sides as their journey continued. It was essential that nobody followed their progress from this point on.

The Mountains of Mist had been a looming presence off to the west throughout their travels but in the past few hours Rhya had been angling the route they were taking so that they now headed almost due west towards the foothills. They had forded the Manetherendrelle late the previous day and Baerlon had been seen off to the south that morning, its wooden watchtowers and 20 foot high surrounding wall clear from leagues away. Even the distinctive smell of the ironworks carried to where they had stood, hastily eating some smoked meat and bread.

Rhya was determined to enter the forest before nightfall. It should be possible, with their enhanced eyesight, to move deep into cover and lose any possible pursuit. She hadn’t seen signs of people following them, nor had the wolves, but the Stedding’s location was fiercely protected for good reason. She intended to be as certain as she could be that they were alone before she would approach the boundary. Besides, if they made good time, they could have a fire that night and maybe be warm for the first time in days. She shivered at that idea, thinking longingly of the tree house, the warmth of its walls and her own comfortable bed but cut the images off short when they threatened to dwell on the other absent occupant of the dwelling.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

The night was black under the thick mesh of branches. It was the kind of blackness that would have felt thick and even oppressive without the relief of the fire’s flickering light and the reassurance provided by its heat.

Rhya batted lazily at the tiny bitemes that threatened to drive her crazy with their constant buzzing around her head. She could hear the bats, high up in the canopy, no doubt hunting to their heart’s delight at the feast around them. Do bats have hearts? she wondered drowsily, munching on the rabbit stew balanced on her lap. The hot meal was a miracle they owed to Shadow, who had padded into the makeshift camp earlier with the gift, Snow following not far behind with yet another. Rahien was busily shovelling his second portion down almost as fast as his first and Rhya quashed a grin, noting with no small disappointment that hers was now gone.

She was in more of a mood to be forthcoming with a full stomach and starkly aware that her response to Rahien’s choked confidences had been brief, though sympathetic. She had passed many of the hours of walking in trying to fathom what Owen or Aislyn would say to a new Wanderer to put their mind at rest or convince them that they were making the best decision. Eventually, she’d accepted that she would have to find the right words or give up the attempt and turn Rahien over to those wiser beings on their arrival at the Stedding.

Leaning back against a solid but remarkably comfortable log, Rhya stretched her legs out, crossing them at the ankles and fixed Rahien with a considering stare, then began to talk in a low voice. She told him of her own Howling, her long journey south, the pursuit through Braem Wood and finally her meeting with Owen.

“I know you find it hard to believe that the ‘Kin are persecuted, but it is simple truth. One day you are sure to experience it for yourself and it will not be pleasant.”

Rhya went on to tell him several of the varied stories she’d heard personally over the months, elaborating on attempted murders, severe beatings, families turning their own kin away from hearth and home, whole towns chasing individuals away with accusations of being a darkfriend, of those sad cases where someone had not dealt well with the Howling, becoming feral or crazed.

“These are not fairy stories for children, Rahien. They are real people, many of whom you will soon meet for yourself and all are as ordinary as you or me. They are not evil... at least, no more so than any man or woman... and they did not deserve the treatment meted out to them. The Howling effects each one differently. For some, it is painless if confusing. For others, it can be terrible or life threatening. It would have become so for you if you had stayed put much longer. It may yet do so in time to come.” Rhya wound down, working kinks out of tired muscles and leaning over to tamp down the fire for the night. “Now, best get some sleep. We have another early start tomorrow.”

Judging by the expressions on his face, she had given him food for thought and that would suffice for the time being. Curling up with Shadow at her back, Rhya lay her head on one bent arm, wriggled till the bumps in the ground weren’t sticking in all the wrong places and gradually drifted off into a restless slumber and dreams of a place many leagues hence.

Rahien watched Rhya as she in turn watched their surroundings, traveling the next day. He was somewhat familiar with the landscape if only from a peddlers map. It had been old and worn, and missing things at that.

The Mountains of Mist had loomed off to one side for a bit after leaving the trees, but they had turned from a roughly southern direction back to the forest. In the fading light he had had surprisingly less difficulty picking his way amongst the undergrowth. He noted that Rhya had a significantly easier time, but he did well in keeping up.

Once they had settled in a spot scouted by their two wolf companions, Rahien was pleased to see Rhya building a fire. He took the chance to study the woman. Her response to his emotional confidences had been brief if sympathetic. Most people would have been put off by this, but Rahien's respect for her had grown. He had not wanted someone to play mother. He had simply shared his experience so that she could understand him better.

Once the fire was crackling warmly they sat back, sharing a meal. Rahien watched as Rhya swatted at the bitemes buzzing around her head. They left him alone for the most part which he had wondered about in the past. Not too far mind you, he was not one to wish for the small, red, itchy bumps they left behind after biting you.

Suddenly Rhya began to speak. She told him of her family, rich merchants apparently. Her trip as a guard and her subsequent chase because of the color of her eyes.

"I know you find it hard to believe that the ‘Kin are persecuted, but it is simple truth. One day you are sure to experience it for yourself and it will not be pleasant."

She continued on, telling him of other stories. Others of the ones she called the Kin, who had suffered hardship far worse than his because of what they were.

"These are not fairy stories for children, Rahien. They are real people, many of whom you will soon meet for yourself and all are as ordinary as you or me. They are not evil... at least, no more so than any man or woman... and they did not deserve the treatment meted out to them. The Howling effects each one differently. For some, it is painless if confusing. For others, it can be terrible or life threatening. It would have become so for you if you had stayed put much longer. It may yet do so in time to come." She stretched and stifled a yawn, reminding him that they had pressed hard today. "Now, best get some sleep. We have another early start tomorrow"

He nodded absently. He had been so caught up in his own problems, had been so used to looking out for himself alone, that he had not stopped to think that others may have suffered worse than him.

He was pleased to see snow lay next to him despite the warmth of the tamped down fire, and lay back with his hands behind his head. Rhya had put him in a thoughtful mood, and he lay there for sometime thinking of what lie ahead and how he felt about it. On one hand, he was used to dealing with things on his own and part of him said if persecution came he would handle it. On the other hand, part of him ached for companionship as all humans do.

Long before he had worked everything out in his head he heard the soft rhythmic breathing that told him Rhya was asleep. He could see two stars through the canopy of branches above them. They shone cold and bright in the darkness. The bottom line was that eventually he would come to this stedding, he would meet others who had been through what he was experiencing, and he would be taught not to go feral. Something he had not known was a part of this until Rhya had explained the danger. The deciding factor that took him from unsure to convinced was the fact that they would teach him how to talk with the wolves, to communicate with Snow.

He would finally be around others that understood him. That made him nervous and uncomfortable, but he suspected that he would get used to it. He drifted off to sleep thinking that if they were all like Rhya, he would be ok.