DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Worst Ever Singles - It's A Knockout (Winner: Technohead's I Wanna Be A Hippy)

Corki

The "It's A Knockout" for Classical Music was won by Gustav Holst's Jupiter from the Planets suite, which beat Carl Orff's O Fortuna in the Final. In the 3rd/4th Play-Off, Richard Wagners's The Ride of the Valkyries triumphed over Samuel Barber's Adagio for Strings.

"It's A Knockout" returns this week, and we are sticking with the longer format - and this means there are 16 songs instead of 8! The usual rules of a vote a day contines though, so make sure you post your votes. And for the next two or so weeks (Wednesday 15th April 2009 to Wednesday 29th April 2009), we will be concentrating on those terrible songs that have graced the music industry.

Picking just 16 songs from the magnitude of terrible songs was an extremely difficult task, but I use the following link for a bit of help. You will see the ties in the next thread, as well as a bit of info on each piece.

"It's a Knockout" - Format

For those of you who have not been involved with a "It's A Knockout" thread before, the rules are quite simple. The Band of the Red Hand is DM's travel and music ORG, and "It's a Knockout" is a knock out competition to find out the winner of the chosen category (past categories include Best Selling Single of 2008, Favourite Christmas Carol). Each day, 2 songs will be posted, along with a link so you can listen to the song if you do not know it, and all you have to do is post which is your favourite song of the two. After a day, the votes will be counted, and the winning song will progress to the next round, until we only have 1 song left as the winner at the end of the competition. It's very simple, so I look forward to seeing you getting involved!

So without further a-do, let the competition begin!

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

RESULTS

Round 1

1. Fast Food Song by The Fast Food Rockers lost to Girl, You Know It's True by Milli Vanilli (1-3)

2. Who Let The Dogs Out by the Baha Men lost to I Lost My Heart to a Starship Trooper by Sarah Brightman and Hot Gossip (1-3)

3. Cotton Eye Joe by The Rednex lost to Ice Ice Baby by Vanilla Ice (0-5)

4. The Cheeky Song (Touch My Bum) by The Cheeky Girls beat Because We Want To by Billie (2-0)

5. Mr Blobby by Mr Blobby beat The Birdie Song by The Tweets (2-0)

6. I Wanna Be a Hippy by Technohead beat There's No One Quite Like Grandma by St. Winifred's School Choir (3-0)

7. Macarena by Los Del Rio lost to Saturday Night by Whigfield (1-3)

8. Achy Breaky Heart by Billy Ray Cyrus lost to C'est la Vie by B*witched (2-3)

2nd Round

1. The Cheeky Song (Touch My Bum) by The Cheeky Girls beat Saturday Night by Whigfield (3-0)

2. Mr Blobby by Mr Blobby beat I Lost My Heart to a Starship Trooper by Sarah Brightman and Hot Gossip (1-0)

3. Girl, You Know It's True by Milli Vanilli lost to I Wanna Be a Hippy by Technohead (0-4)

4. Ice Ice Baby by Vanilla Ice beat C'est la Vie by B*witched (4-1)

Semi-Final

1. I Wanna Be a Hippy by Technohead beat Mr Blobby by Mr Blobby (3-1)

2. Ice Ice Baby by Vanilla Ice lost to The Cheeky Song (Touch My Bum) by The Cheeky Girls (0-3)

3rd/4th Play-off

1. Mr Blobby by Mr Blobby beat Ice Ice Baby by Vanilla Ice (3-0)

Final

1. I Wanna Be a Hippy by Technohead beat The Cheeky Song (Touch My Bum) by The Cheeky Girls (2-1)

THE CHOSEN SONGS

1. The Cheeky Song (Touch My Bum) by The Cheeky Girls

The Cheeky Girls are twin sisters Monica and Gabriela Irimia, from Romania, but based in Britain and appeared on the reality TV show Popstars - The Rivals. The song peaked at number 2 in the UK charts in December 2002 and January 2003, selling nearly 1 million (yes, you did read 1 million) copies. How it did that, I do not know! It's pretty tuneless and they aren't great singers. 

2. There's No One Quite Like Grandma by St. Winifred's School Choir

This was the UK's Christmas number 1 in 1980. This is a song that always makes people gasps. I know they are children, but the poor soloist is so screechy it's unbeliveable. Thankfully Jon Lennon knocked them off the top spot a few weeks after Christmas!

3. The Fast Food Song by The Fast Food Rockers

This somehow reached number 2 in the UK charts in 2003. Despite using a popular campfire song as its chorus, it's extremely cheesy. How it reached number 2 in the UK chart is a mystery!

4. Ice Ice Baby by Vanilla Ice

This reached number 1 in a host of countries for "rapper" Robert "Vanilla Ice" Van Winkle in 1990. It samples the bassline of "Under Pressure" by Queen and David Bowie. I really do not know if you can call that singing at all...  And what about that dancing??

5. Achy Breaky Heart by Billy Ray Cyrus

In 1992, this reached number 4 in the US and number 3 in the UK charts. It's a country-pop cross over song, and was beaten by Eric Clapton to the Grammy Award for the Record of the Year.

6. Who Let The Dogs Out by Baha Men

This was the 4th biggest selling single of 2000 in the UK, peaking at number 2 in the charts. It was successful across the whole globe. However, it has reached universal fame for its use at various sports venues. Despite its easy lyrics, it gets really, really annoying after a while.

7. Mr Blobby by Mr Blobby

Yet another Christmas UK number 1 - this time in 1993 - and it knocked Meat Loaf off top spot to claim the honour. It's rather senseless - and yet somehow Jeremy Clarkson appears in the video. It's just crazy and pretty terrible - and yet I have a cassette of this song! I was young and liked Noel Edmund's Noel's House Party as a kid, on which Mr Blobby featured.

8. Macarena by Los Del Rio

Everybody should know this song for its dance. And somehow it's a world record breaker by becaming the second longest running #1 and best selling debut single of all time in the United States in 1995. The actual singer (Carla Vanessa) can't sing at all (the girls in the video mime), but let's forget that and do the Macarena Dance!

9. The Birdie Song by The Tweets

There isn't much about this song (thankfully!), but it did reach number 2 in the UK Charts in 1981.

10. I Lost My Heart To A Starship Trooper by Sarah Brightman and Hot Gossip

This was before Sarah Brightman became famous. It reached number 6 in the UK chart for the teenage Brightman and Hot Gossip in 1978. It's very 1970s and extremely cheesy. It's full of sexual innuendo ("Take me, make me feel the force") and references to the world of sci-fi ("And evil Darth Vader has been banished to Mars" and "Flash Gordon's left me, he's gone to the stars"). At least Brightman moved onto better and greater things!

11. Cotton Eye Joe by The Rednex

It was the Swedes who made Cotton Eye Joe popular in 1995 with their dance-country crossover mix of this traditional American folk song. It reached number 1 in the UK Charts in January 2005. I remember watching this on Top of the Pops as a kid and thought it was pretty good - thankfully I have grown up and seen the light! It's a pretty annoying song!

12. Saturday Night by Whigfield

'Whigfield' is actually Danish singer Sannie Charlotte Carlson. It reached number 1 in a host of countries during the summer of 1994. This song annoyed me then and it still does. And this is yet another singer accused of lip syncing. This song also has a dance routine that came popular. It's pure unadultered annoying!

13. C'est la Vie by B*witched

Ireland conquerors the UK charts in 1998 with this song. It's cheesy bubblegum pop with an annoying fiddle in it. The video features the girls dancing in a field covered in psychedlic flowers, with a puppy, and playfully teasing a hapless teenage boy. It's awful!

14. I Wanne Be A Hippy by Technohead

WTF!!!! It reached number 6 in the UK Charts in 1996. I really do not know what else to say about this! Go and find something to cleanse your ears after that!

15. Girl, You Know It's True by Milli Vanilli

Released in 1988, this song reached number 2 in the US and number 3 in the UK. During a performance in Connecticut, the group was caught lip synching, causing much controversy.

16. Because We Want To by Billie

Before a successful acting career (Doctor Who), Billie Piper was a singer. This was her debut single in 1998, where it reached number 1 in the UK charts. Why was it used as the official song for the 1999 Women's Football World Cup?

Round 1, Tie 1

The Fast Food Song by The Fast Food Rockers

This somehow reached number 2 in the UK charts in 2003. Despite using a popular campfire song as its chorus, it's extremely cheesy. How it reached number 2 in the UK chart is a mystery!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GCPSh47gHz8

vs.

Girl, You Know It's True by Milli Vanilli

Released in 1988, this song reached number 2 in the US and number 3 in the UK. During a performance in Connecticut, the group was caught lip synching, causing much controversy.

Voting ends Thursday 16th April 2009 at 10pm (GMT)

Well, you snuck in there at the last minute, Meesh! And I have to say, it is a bit of a shock as I thought The Fast Food Song would have easily won. But no, it didn't as you decided Milli Vanilli's Girl, You Know It's True was the worst of the two as it won by 3 votes to 1.

The second tie of the first round is on its way!

Round 1, Tie 2

Who Let The Dogs Out by the Baha Men

This was the 4th biggest selling single of 2000 in the UK, peaking at number 2 in the charts. It was successful across the whole globe. However, it has reached universal fame for its use at various sports venues. Despite its easy lyrics, it gets really, really annoying after a while.

vs.

I Lost My Heart to a Starship Trooper by Sarah Brightman and Hot Gossip

This was before Sarah Brightman became famous. It reached number 6 in the UK chart for the teenage Brightman and Hot Gossip in 1978. It's very 1970s and extremely cheesy. It's full of sexual innuendo ("Take me, make me feel the force") and references to the world of sci-fi ("And evil Darth Vader has been banished to Mars" and "Flash Gordon's left me, he's gone to the stars"). At least Brightman moved onto better and greater things!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TL6MAyTXMRA

Voting ends Friday 17th April 2009 at 10pm (GMT)

Are u sure this is the worst songs ever and not just in the main, the most annoying songs ever.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GbPovgCP5BU try that for an awful song

If you read the first post, I said I was using this link: http://www.everyhit.com/worstever.html

This picks the top 100 All-Time 'Worst Ever' Singles. Maybe I should change the title of the thread.

I am also tempted to start a seperate thread for other songs, as there were a few I wanted to put in, but sadly they were not in that list.

Well, it looks like it is going to lose, but I am voting for Who Let The Dogs Out? as I find the chorus so annoying! The other song is bearable, but the repetitive "Who Let The Dogs Out" gets on my nerves!

Well, another surprise in my eyes. I thought that the Baha Men's Who Let The Dogs Out? would have triumphed - but they didn't. Instead, with a 3-1 victory, Sarah Brightman and Hot Gossip take one step closer to the unwanted title of Worst Ever Single.

The 3rd tie of the 1st round is about to go up.

Round 1, Tie 3

Cotton Eye Joe by The Rednex

It was the Swedes who made Cotton Eye Joe popular in 1995 with their dance-country crossover mix of this traditional American folk song. It reached number 1 in the UK Charts in January 2005. I remember watching this on Top of the Pops as a kid and thought it was pretty good - thankfully I have grown up and seen the light! It's a pretty annoying song!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XDdlHmzIdn8

vs.

Ice Ice Baby by Vanilla Ice

This reached number 1 in a host of countries for "rapper" Robert "Vanilla Ice" Van Winkle in 1990. It samples the bassline of "Under Pressure" by Queen and David Bowie. I really do not know if you can call that singing at all...  And what about that dancing??

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_UH5PXFqMqg

Voting ends Saturday 18th April 2009 at 10pm (GMT)

Archived