DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

The most despicable character

lgautam

Which do you think is the most despicable/loathsome character in the series?   

72 members have voted

1. 1. Which do you think is the most despicable/loathsome character in the series?

• Sevanna
    • Galina
    • Couladin(when he was alive)
    • Egwene("the jumped up innkeeper's daughter")
    • Elayne
    • Halima
    • Lord Luc/Isam (in Shadow Rising)
    • Elaida, the Amyrlin Seat
    • Padan Fain/Mordeth

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Of the listed ones, Sevanna should be the top candidate.

Galina is Black Ajah, and while being a DF might of course be considered despicable in itself, she is hardly the worst of that bunch we have seen.

Couladin was a victim to his own ambition, as well as others manipulation. Sevanna was among these others. He also "suffered" from a not to uncommon attitude among the Aiel that a wetlander could not possibly be the cara'carn. It does not excuse his actions, but it does explain them a bit.

Halima. A Forsaken. And far from the worst of the gang.

Luc, his blending with Isam and transformation into Slayer was not his doing, and as such he really is not in control of his own actions anymore.

Sevanna however...Every single thing she does is based on her own ambition. In her little world, all that matters is satisfying her own needs, and damn anyone who gets in the way. Even darkfriends are at least fighting for what they interpret as a greater good, Sevanna does not even have that.

Of the mentioned, I had to vote Halima. All Forsaken are extremely, extremely despicable. Mass murderers and torturers the whole bunch. The Guide says that Balthamel was responsible for large scale atrocities. And for "humans as fodder" to the trollocs. Halima killed some in the rebel camp, too.

Of all characters that we know of, excepting the DO (in a league of his own, I think), I would have voted Semirhage as the most despicable.

Out of the non-Forsaken, I would have voted "the prophet of the dragon reborn" or "the high inquisitor" of the whitecloaks.

I dont think Luc/Isam/slayer should die. "Gitara Moroso convinces Lord Luc that the outcome of Tarmon Gai'don depends upon him going to the Blight."

He will have a key role, and i think its to help Rand in some way. Maby he will turn on the dark side and join the light at the end, or kill some of the forsaken to get the power himself, and do it easyer for rand without knowing/thinking about it.

Dunno how he will do it, but i think Rand needs him in some way.

Of those listed I liked Halima the least. As a forsaken I expected more from her and she showed herself to be barely greater than the primitive Aes Sedai in the rebel camp. There was nothing remarkable about her, nothing fancy. She hid and she made minor attempts to have Logain executed (she could have done it herself and nobody would know it) so that she'd be able to channel freely, and then when she could? It was to spy on Egwene's dreams and see what was going on in her tent. It was as if she didn't know anything different from the camp Aes Sedai. Oh, and she failed trying to listen in on that last sitting of the Hall when the Asha'man came in.

I'm not sure if it was that easy to kill logain.  6 aes sedai linked is no joke even for rand with an angreal.  not to mention, logain would have sense him/her using saidin.

He would have sensed it, but he had 6 aes sedai guarding him. What could he have done in time? Point her out maybe before he was killed, but Halima could have done it disguised too with her ability to channel masked as well so he couldn't see her holding saidin.

As for what slayer will do, he will kill Mordeth.  Slayer is two people Luc/Isam and Fain is two people Fain/Mordeth.

As to the thread question, Egwene of those listed, she makes assumptions when she knows nothing and uses people when she would get better results by telling them.  My other choice is Perrin, before faile he is despicable because he doesn't use his wolfbrother senses and people die because of it.  Even Rand has the excuse that when he reaches for saidin to save someone it doesn't always come and Mat defies the Black Ajah to rescue three pig-headed women even though he cannot channel but Perrin is too stupid to take a risk.  After he meets Faile he is despicable because his mentallity is let the world burn and Shai'tan win as long as I have Faile.  I believe the only reason he went after Rand was because Rand is Taveren.

Sevanna however...Every single thing she does is based on her own ambition. In her little world, all that matters is satisfying her own needs, and damn anyone who gets in the way. Even darkfriends are at least fighting for what they interpret as a greater good, Sevanna does not even have that.

QFT. I could not have said that better for myself, and throughout the series, Sevanna was the one I hated the most. By far, with no doubts, she is easily the MOST selfish character in the series.

Elyane...........

i don't see how u guys don't hate Elyane. She is absolute most annoying and dumbest character in WoT and she doesn't even try to be that way.

"ooo, look at me, i can do whatever i want cause Min said my babies will be fine, even though i know that her prophecies don't always come true*. Hmm i have an idea, since i can't die, lets put myself in unnecessary danger. Whoops, a couple of Aes Sedia and a couple hundred of soldiers died cuase i rushed in without thinking (which happens to be a habit of mine). Whatever, im a noble and they are not, besides i can't die so who cares about them."

-Elyane

that just summaries just a fraction of her character. I absolutely can not think of one good quality of her besides the fact that she is hot ;D. And now she is pregnant, so not even that now. 

She is only character that i hate in WoT. Sevanna is fine, just waaay to over ambitious and a bit in denial (which makes sense seeing how all of her beliefs were proven false, thanks to Rand). Faile is fine too, i never got why everyone hates her. She is what makes Perrin, and IMO she made him a lot better.

*The reader knows that min's prohecys always come true since Moriane is alive. But none of the characters know that, so from their position, one can assume that Min's prohecys don't always come true. But Elyane is too dumb and thick to see this.

BTW: heres what i hope happens in MoL

*Mat and a bunch of Deathwatch guards come in*

Elyane: "Mat your here now, good. Since your my subject i need you to...."

Deathwatch Guard: "What?! Subject?! Die infidel!"

*stabs Elyane through the chest with a spear*

*awkward moment of silence*

Deathwatch Guard: ".........Forgive me, my Lord. I have lowered my eyes by action out of emotion"

Mat: "Lowering your eyes? Nah, I don't think so. But if you still feel that way you can make it up to me by buying us drinks at the Queens Blessing"

*Looks down at Elyane, twitching on the floor and sighs*

Mat: " We might as well tell Nyverave to come here before we leave"

Elayne is selfish yes, but i still like her :) Her destiny is to rule Andor and she must behave like a queen, she was tought to act like that her whole life. I think thats the point with her character, to show her grow to become a queen, and her best friends are regular farmers and one Aiel :) She knows alot more about the world than Morgase ever did now.

what about faile?
I make that about thirteen hours since the start of the thread. You Faile haters are starting to slack.

"ooo, look at me, i can do whatever i want cause Min said my babies will be fine, even though i know that her prophecies don't always come true
Min has said herself, more than once, that her Viewings alwys come true if she knows what they mean. The only one that didn't (so she thinks) she hasn't exactly been telling to all and sundry. As far as Elayne knows, it is set in stone and she will live until her babies are born. And it is.
Hmm i have an idea, since i can't die, lets put myself in unnecessary danger.
Trying to flush out the Black Ajah spy in our midst and capture some BA Sisters lose in the capital.
Whoops, a couple of Aes Sedia and a couple hundred of soldiers died
Exposing the enemy within, capturing or killing several BA, and winning the civil war, establishing myself as Queen and potentially saving a lot of lives in the process.

that just summaries just a fraction of her character.
Exactly. There is a lot more to her (and Faile) than the haters are willing to allow themselves to admit.

She is only character that i hate in WoT. Sevanna is fine, just waaay to over ambitious and a bit in denial (which makes sense seeing how all of her beliefs were proven false, thanks to Rand).
Elayne makes mistakes and gets people killed. Sevanna makes mistakes and gets a lot of people killed. However she also begins enslaving people with her peversions of ji'e'toh and gai'shain. What evil has Elayne done that matches that? Why is Sevanna alright, but not Elayne.

The reader knows that min's prohecys always come true since Moriane is alive. But none of the characters know that, so from their position, one can assume that Min's prohecys don't always come true.
None of the characters, except for all the people she has told that her visions always come true. Always.
But Elyane is too dumb and thick to see this.
Methinks Elayne is not as dumb and thick as you would like to portray her.

My other choice is Perrin, before faile he is despicable because he doesn't use his wolfbrother senses and people die because of it.
Such as?

He would have sensed it, but he had 6 aes sedai guarding him. What could he have done in time? Point her out maybe before he was killed, but Halima could have done it disguised too with her ability to channel masked as well so he couldn't see her holding saidin.
It has been argued that the sensation of active channeling is still present. And alerting people that there is another saidin channeler around is precisely what Halima doesn't want - that's why she wants rid of Logain. So getting rid of him in a way that would arouse suspicions is counterproductive.

i do still think though you are underestimating the security methods around logain.  The reason why egwene so easily got him out is because they were not suspecting someone within them messing around.  Halima however would not have had access and also her face would have caused suspicion just by being anywhere close to logain.

refering to mikeriley.

She wouldn't have had to be in the same tent as him. He did get moved around. All she had to do was be able to see him and be at a good enough distance that Logain wouldn't have been able to point out a lady wielding Saidin. Which the Aes Sedai most likely would have chalked up to his being mad until after he was killed anyway, then in true Aes Sedai fashion, go on a hunt for the male channeler in the soldier camp.

*Mat and a bunch of Deathwatch guards come in*

Elyane: "Mat your here now, good. Since your my subject i need you to...."

Deathwatch Guard: "What?! Subject?! Die infidel!"

*stabs Elyane through the chest with a spear*

*awkward moment of silence*

Deathwatch Guard: ".........Forgive me, my Lord. I have lowered my eyes by action out of emotion"

Mat: "Lowering your eyes? Nah, I don't think so. But if you still feel that way you can make it up to me by buying us drinks at the Queens Blessing"

*Looks down at Elyane, twitching on the floor and sighs*

Mat: " We might as well tell Nyverave to come here before we leave"

Well, I must say that I really like that idea. I hate Elayne she thinks way to much about herself... But, out of all the characters Nyn is by far my least favorite and most despised character

All she had to do was be able to see him and be at a good enough distance that Logain wouldn't have been able to point out a lady wielding Saidin.
If Logain alerts them to the presence of another saidin channeler, then what? They would be on guard, they would alert others. It draws attention. If he dies right after? Better is she stays clear. Doesn't draw unnecessary attention. Furthermore, if they know when it was used, and have some idea of who was in the area at the time, they narrow down their options.

But, out of all the characters Nyn is by far my least favorite and most despised character

Why? Is it the selflessness or the desire to Heal people that turned you against her?

Why? Is it the selflessness or the desire to Heal people that turned you against her?

Absolutely. She should immidiatly stop being such a do-gooder, and turn into a proper capitalist doctor charging ridicilous amounts of money for Healing even the smallest blister. Bloody altruist!

Mr. Ares, at the beginning of the Dragon Reborn the wolves are trying to tell him something and he refuses to listen until finally they breakthrough his stupidity.

Purplemonster, Nyneave is not hateful she just can be annoying at times.  Also Nyneave can sometimes be a bully but at least she has the bad excuse that she thinks she knows better.  Egwene does it(to Nyneave and others) because she can not out of any misguided altruism.  If you read that far you shouldn't be able to hate Nyneave after The Golden Crane

Indiangangster, that was pretty funny, don't agree with the sentiment, but pretty funny.

Archived