• Please log in to reply
1289 replies to this topic

#1281 moldham

moldham

Turtle Hermit

• Members
  • 40 posts

Posted 27 May 2012 - 01:22 AM

Gettin giddy thinking about the movie. All my non-reading friends ask why im always reading WoT but it's impossible to describe how it all fits together. They all love the LotR movies so I want to be there when they see WoT and just say "see?"

and you can't get rid of Bela! It would be like if Bill weren't in LotR... actually it would be much worse!

anyways I heard she's actually the Dark One :p guess we'll find out in amol haha
"His power levels over 9000!!!" - Vegeta, Prince of all Saiyans

#1282 mb

mb
  • Members
  • 4,887 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 05:14 PM

A portion of this site's members have stated similar comments about her; some the Dark One, some the Creator.
Such comments I count as no more than jokes.

Bill, I guess you mean the pony.
"non-speaking" characters could probably be replaced in the movies. by "non-speaking" I mean those who do not talk like humans.
Matthew 28:19-20
I Kings 18:21
Romans 1:16
Philippians 4:6-7

#1283 RandA lThor

RandA lThor

January 8, 2013, a day that will go down in history

• Members
  • 17,005 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 09:35 PM

What if WoT fans were able to do the screenwriting and we only left the directors with the acting and interpreting the scenes. Then a lot more of us could be happy.
Posted Image

#1284 Thrasymachus

Thrasymachus
  • Members
  • 514 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 09:43 PM

Then it would never get done.

#1285 mb

mb
  • Members
  • 4,887 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 02:46 PM

What if WoT fans were able to do the screenwriting and we only left the directors with the acting and interpreting the scenes. Then a lot more of us could be happy.

There might be many different versions.
A better plan might be for them to pick from what fans send to them then fill in parts that were unsent/unpicked.

Then it would never get done.

Actually, there might be some chance for the movie to get done.

#1286 Thrasymachus

Thrasymachus
  • Members
  • 514 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 03:10 PM

Not if you put fans in charge of any part of it. And as long as Red Eagle retains the rights, I'd put the odds of any movie, TV show or game coming out at all somewhere close to 10 to 1.

#1287 EndlessCreation

EndlessCreation
  • Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 04:33 AM

Most fans have absolutely no idea what is right for a piece. They will sacrifice all the things you learn in screenwriting 101 because they love "that scene" even if it means nothing to the plot or the average viewer. Besides, if you commision tons of people to make one script, no one has an artistic vision on it. You could argue it's Jordan's artistic vision is there, but with the hands of so many other people on it there is bound to be cross breeding of ideas. Even a single writer puts his own twist on the vision, not to mention all the directors and producers who mess with the piece. Don't always look down on those people either though. It's necessary that they restructure these things. You may never know, but some great scenes may have been left by the wayside if not for the people we view as "corporate".

Let the professionals be the professionals and let the fans shout as they will regardless. Perfect adaptations are impossible and would likely be rather dull. As much richness as you believe a piece holds, it's not suitable for screen in that format. We can get some great things out of adaptations, so don't beleive that your way is the only way.

#1288 Allenbird

Allenbird

Game Connoisseur

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 09:40 AM

The more I think about it though, I can't imagine one scene being left out of The Eye of the World that doesn't have something to do with the main plot. Making a movie of the first book would be much more difficult than making a movie of the 7th or 8th book because of this. I mean you could make a movie of the first book and leave out certain things. If the movie is a big success and they decide to do more, they would spend more time filling in back story that was left out of the first movie.

Just saying that they need to set the foundation right. I do like the idea of making an AOL movie first though. That would set up alot and would give the writers a creative license to create based off the fragments that we know. I wouldn't be dissappointed with a vision of what the breaking was like and how it all happend.

No matter what though, the prologue of the first book is one of the most important points of the story. It sets up the entire series for what once was and what will come.
Posted Image

#1289 mb

mb
  • Members
  • 4,887 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 01:51 PM

Like I suggested long ago on previous pages, they could do 2 versions of the movies. One version for theaters, the other being an extended version. The extended versions containing all scenes. Each book's theater version containing 2 or 3 hours worth of scenes.
Scenes containing battle/confrontation/etc probably for sure being included in theater version. A portion of walking/riding scenes could probably be cut out from theater version; perhaps also some dialogue scenes.

As for an Age of Legends movie, not sure if the books will have enough scenes for a full length Legends Age movie. The remainder of the movie may need to be filled with made-up scenes; the made-up scenes might cause the whole movie to stray from the books.

#1290 Thrasymachus

Thrasymachus
  • Members
  • 514 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 02:20 PM

The Strike on Shayol Ghul and Rand's visions at Rhuidean are dense enough to tell the story of the drilling of the Bore, during, and up to the end of the War of Power. They're also sparse enough to allow writers a lot of lee-way in building up drama and filling the story out. There's two problems with doing a movie about the end of the AoL first, however. First of all, it's not a happy ending. The whole world ends in apocalypse. Not a lot of strict fantasy-dramas go that route, as it tends to turn off the fantasy-going crowd a bit, who are looking for that happy ending. Horror movies or dark comedies? Sure, but I'm not sure how you could write the ending of the AoL as either one. The second problem is that the AoL is vastly different than the 3rd Age era of Rand and co. Aside from the magic system, almost nothing remains the same. People who aren't WoT fans who watch the first movie will be completely lost when the next movie starts at The Eye of the World. There'd have to be some narrative segue, and to people who aren't fans, it would scream "contrived!" An AoL movie after the 3rd age era movies have proven to be successful might work, but only then.