DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

A few tips and guidelines to help you role play

Elgee

Here are a few tips and guidelines to help you role play. Please remember that these are guidelines only, not rules!

Firstly, be kind to your rp partner(s). It's very difficult to write a reply when the only thing they have to go on is: "She opened the door and stepped inside". Try to give a bit more, like "She curtsied and looked around her curiously, before addressing the woman behind the desk. "Good day, Aes Sedai. I have just arived from Caemlyn, and I would like to become an Aes Sedai." Try to describe your character in some way too. Is she tall? short? dark? what colour are her eyes and hair? Is she nervous or confident? Remember that the only thing one can really write in response to "She knocked on the door." is "Enter." That would make for one hell of a short RP post.

Also bear in mind that a novice wouldn't just be left wandering around the Tower on her own. She would be brought to the MoN by someone, who is more than likely going to introduce her, not just leave her standing at the door.

Role playing is done in third person, past tense. (For example, "She walked down the street and was lost in thought.") Your writing should only contain your character's thoughts - you will not be able to know what other people are thinking.

Thoughts/Speech are the only exception. They should be present tense and first person. Thought should be indicated with italics, speech within quotation marks.

When writing, think of the way a book is written:

- use standard font and colour

- break it up into paragraphs

- try to write understandably, in other words spell and grammar check

- Do NOT use acronyms or numerals (Mistress of Novices, not MoN; three, not 3)

- use punctuation

Comma, Comma, Comma! There are all sorts of rules about commas, semi-colons, full stops, etc (see a few notes at the bottom), but there’s a simple way to at least make your post readable to others:

Read what you have written, out loud. Do not pause or take a breath unless there is a comma, semicolon or full stop.

Ran out of breath halfway through? Then for heaven’s sake use punctuation!

- avoid OVERUSE of the comma, though.

For example:

Maeldryn quickly, and thoroughly, glanced around, and seeing his friend, rushed forward to meet him.

Instead write:

Maeldryn quickly, and thoroughly, glanced around. Seeing his friend, he rushed forward to meet him.

- use:

- quotation marks (“”) for you speech: "That is Esther," she interjected in a hard tone.

- italics for marking thought or dreams: How can one person succeed in being so rude in such a short time? she wondered.

Example:

How can one person succeed in being so rude in such a short time? she wondered, wincing a little at the orders being flung at Esther who looked like she was about to explode. The girl said something about being her roommate and Kiyi's face stilled in horror. Her chin lifted and she did something that was rare for her. Even sitting amongst rumpled sheets, she was suddenly every inch the noble woman.

"That is Esther," she interjected in a hard tone, looking down her nose at the new arrival. "She's not a maid, she's my room mate. All novices have to keep their own rooms clean. And you would be?"

Surely there has to be a mistake? This... creature... can't possibly be assigned to our room!!

- quotation marks (“”) for speech by others (ie what you hear)

This can sometimes be confusing, so if you want to make a further distinction for others, you could put it in italics or colour (not recommended) too.

Example:

“Come!” Larindhra rose and walked around her desk when she saw who her visitor was. “Terias! This is a pleasant surprise.” Larindhra smiled warmly at the Yellow Sister. "What brings you to my neck of the woods?” Her eye caught sight of the girl hovering outside, and her smile widened. “Brought me a new one, did you? Well, let her come in. I presume you’ve tested her?”

“I did indeed, Larindhra. Serien, come in and introduce yourself.”

Or

Or

Larindhra greeted the child with a warm smile. “Welcome to the Tower, Serien. Have a seat so long – I’ll be with you shortly.” She could see that Terias looked quite travel weary, so she wasn’t surprised when the Yellow excused herself.

- Give your character name

To make it easier for people to know who you are posting as (especially if you have more than one character), give your character name and position (and faction, if that might need to be in there) at the beginning or end of your post, for instance:

Larindhra Rayne

Mistress of Novices

- OOC and IC

If you need to say something out of Character, then precede the comment/question/remark with OOC; then when you type your In Character post precede it with IC. This way it keeps the two separate and removes confusion.

------------

COMMA

TIP:

ONLY USE A COMMA FOR AN INTRODUCTION

Words that "set the scene" do not always start the sentence; they could appear at the back or in the middle. You only need a comma when these words appear at the front of the sentence. This is very handy to know. Look the examples below:

At 4 o'clock, the new manager, David Bain, will visit. (correct, but too many commas)

The new manager, David Bain, will visit at 4 o'clock. (correct - much tidier)

It is common for a sentence to start with an introduction. An introduction can be anything from just one word to a long clause. In general, an introduction is used to state a time, a place, a condition, a frequency or a fact before the main part of the sentence. (Introductions vary hugely.)

Examples:

In the centre of London, the number of people who fell victim to pickpockets rose by 30 per cent in a month. correct (sets a place)

As soon as the cake is golden-brown, take it out of the oven. correct (sets a time)

Yesterday, the manager visited the stables. correct (sets a time)

On Tuesday 4th July a band played carols in the park for 8 hours. X

("On Tuesday 4th July" sets a time. It is an introduction and should be followed by a comma.)

Having spoken to John, I can confirm that the meeting is definitely off. correct

(states a fact)

As you are well aware, the latest figures do not look promising. correct

(states a fact)

After the secretary had read the minutes of the meeting, the chairman asked for the financial report. correct

A band played in the park for 8 hours on Tuesday 4th July. correct

On Tuesday 4th July, a band played in the park for 8 hours. correct

SEMICOLON

DEFINITELY NOT A COMMA

Transitional phrases are common. Most of the time, a transitional phrase will start a new sentence. However, you can use a semicolon if you wish to bring it closer to the original sentence. You cannot do this with a comma. This is a very common mistake.

It is extremely foggy, nevertheless, the game will be played. X

MAIN CULPRIT IS "HOWEVER"

The error described above is called a "comma fault". This error is most commonly seen with the word "however".

I am leaving on Tuesday, however, I will be back on Wednesday to collect my wages. X

I am leaving on Tuesday; however, I will be back on Wednesday to collect my wages. correct

I am leaving on Tuesday. However, I will be back on Wednesday to collect my wages. correct

COMMA AFTER "SO"

When the word "so" is used to mean "therefore", it is a transitional phrase and should be followed by a comma.

We are not in a position to fund the changes. So, the current system will remain until at least April when it will be reviewed again. correct

APOSTROPHE

Examples:

The weather's bad. correct

(Written in full: The weather is bad. In this example, the apostrophe replaces the letter 'i'.)

Don't think about it. correct

(In full: Do not)

What horse c'ant you ride? X

(The apostrophe is in the wrong place.)

(Should be: isn't)

(In full: is not)

DON'T CONFUSE YOU'RE & YOUR

"You're" is short for "you are".

You're a naughty boy. correct

"Your" is not short for "you are". It is used to show possession.

This is your PC. correct

This is you're PC. X

Your a star. X

DON'T CONFUSE IT'S AND ITS

"It's" is short for "it has" or "it is". (There are no other uses.)

It's stopped raining, and it's sunny.

"Its", on the other hand, is similar to "his" and "her" and is used to show possession.

I'm near the whale. I can see its tail. correct

This is it's fourth journey. X

(its would be correct)

Its as easy as falling off a log. X

(it's would be correct)

DON'T WRITE SHOULD OF

"Should've" sounds like "should of", but it is short for "should have". (This is the same for "could've" and "would've".)

should of X, could of X, would of X

WRITE 'CANNOT' AS ONE WORD

"Cannot" is one word.

I can not stand in the rain for too long. X

Although rare, it is possible to see "can" and "not" as two separate words. However, this is never an expansion of "can't".

She can not only sing but dance too. correct

NO APOSTROPHE IN OURS

Words like "ours", "theirs", "yours" and "hers" do not have apostrophes in them.

These books are ours. correct

You can use our's. X

I saw theirs'. X

DASH

Confused about colons, semicolons and three dots? Use a dash. The dash performs all the functions of the colon, the semicolon and three dots mentioned above.

Examples:

He blamed his divorce on one thing - beer. correct

(replaces a colon)

The sales team meet on Tuesdays - unlike the floor managers who meet on Wednesdays. correct

(replaces a semicolon)

The team requires another person - namely, Adam Richards. correct

(replaces a semicolon)

No one was hurt - the only injury was a broken finger. correct

As I moved the bushes, I was not confronted by the deer I had been tracking for two days, but - a Bengal tiger. correct (replaces three dots)

A credit card stolen from a woman in Devon was used to pay for a Chinese meal 18 hours later - in Hong Kong. correct

Edited by Elgee