My Hrrmpfs - Nynaeve

• Please log in to reply
96 replies to this topic

#81 Majsju

Majsju
  • Members
  • 9,963 posts

Posted 28 August 2009 - 12:48 PM

In my book, an epic ending without any deaths that makes me sad is not really epic at all. A fluffypuppy ending where all the main good characters survived would ruin the finale for me.

And of the potential casualties, few, if any has been so well set up as Lan. The man who dedicated his life to the war against the shadow gets to die in the final battle against the shadow. The last king of Malkier gets to die in avenging his lost kingdom.

Compared to "Lan singlehandedly killed 1.2 million trollocs and 348000 myrdraal, without any greater damage than a bruised knee"...

#82 Padraic_Seebrr

Padraic_Seebrr
  • Members
  • 427 posts

Posted 28 August 2009 - 04:10 PM

"Lan singlehandedly killed 1.2 million trollocs and 348000 myrdraal, without any greater damage than a bruised knee"...

As long as I get a 400 page description of him killing them all, I'd be pretty much cool with it. Also instead of a bruised knee a chopped off leg. And arm. And thats only halfway through the battle. And he's soloing it.

#83 Mr Ares

Mr Ares

We're here.

• Members
  • 7,134 posts

Posted 29 August 2009 - 04:29 AM

all i can say is that the forsaken in the present age have been truly disappointing.

Isn't that the point? That these people have mythic reputations, but the reality falls some way short?  Even so, they have achieved things, by any reasonable measure.

yes you are going soft. she's nothing more than an irritating braid tugging whining donkey. Her chapters rival elyane and aviendha as the most boring cringe worthy stuff ever seen in the series.

You know, its comments like these that make me really wonder if sheikh chilli is reading the same WOT series that was written by Robert Jordan that the rest of us here has read.

Who's this Robert Jordan guy? Everyone knows that WoT was written by sheikh chilli.

#84 Vambram

Vambram

Siswai'aman of the Cor Darei Aiel, Dreadlord in Shayol Ghul,

• Members
  • 2,932 posts

Posted 29 August 2009 - 10:28 AM

Who's this Robert Jordan guy? Everyone knows that WoT was written by sheikh chilli.

roflmao :D

#85 mcs0083

mcs0083
  • Members
  • 24,492 posts

Posted 11 September 2009 - 01:28 PM

Please explain this

#86 Charlz Guybon

Charlz Guybon
  • Members
  • 1,321 posts

Posted 13 October 2009 - 07:57 PM

I can see Nynaeve going down in a blaze of glory trying to avenge Lan.

#87 Padraic_Seebrr

Padraic_Seebrr
  • Members
  • 427 posts

Posted 14 October 2009 - 07:13 PM

I hope that Nynaeve in some way sacrifices herself to save Lan... but thats not gonna happen... Poor Lan, doomed to death, and whats worse is he predicted perfectly what the future held for Nynaeve if she married him.

#88 Inveli

Inveli
  • Members
  • 93 posts

Posted 15 October 2009 - 03:53 PM

Love-sickness be damned.

#89 Beren

Beren
  • Members
  • 326 posts

Posted 19 October 2009 - 09:04 AM

Just gonna throw this in here. We have it stated from RJ that Min's viewings are always about the future.

She had a viewing of Lan with the 7 broken towers and a baby in a cradle with a sword. Makes me think that Nyn will be having Lan's kid and that Lan will be dying thus passing on his sword to the baby in the cradle. Call me crazy, but that's my theory. Lan dies, but leaves behind a son to carry on the kingdom of Malkier. This is also supported by Nyn's Accepted Test though we don't know just how accurate those are yet though they must touch on the World of Dreams at least due to the resonance of the rings with Eg's Ring Ter'Angreal.

#90 Strykr017

Strykr017
  • Members
  • 40 posts

Posted 20 October 2009 - 05:07 PM

When I first read the series (about 5 or 6 years ago) I didn't care for Nynaeve at all. After rereading everything a couple of years later, though, she became one of my favorite female characters. I actually think that she's one of the more sensible ones now, and I can see the reason behind most of her actions (mostly wanting to protect Lan/Two Rivers people). She's definitely grown on me.

#91 Beer Rot

Beer Rot

Tai'shar Idiota

• Members
  • 313 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 07:55 PM

Nyneave has always been on an equal level with Mat as my favorite characters.

Even though I'm one to make a thread asking when major characters will die, I hope she and Lan survive.
10-99, 10-144

#92 Bob T Dwarf

Bob T Dwarf
  • Members
  • 3,428 posts

Posted 17 November 2011 - 10:08 AM

pedraic,

these guys are supposed to be the thireteen MOST powerful aes sedai in AOL. In the space of 11 books the only character they took out has been moiraine which ofcourse everyone knows she's coming back. civil wars and stuff are just besides the point. i have never seen these forsaken demonstrate their power except rahvin who actually killed mat and aviendha and was possible going to kill rand too if not for nynaeve. that's the forsaken i want to see.

not hiding in the shadows making back alley treaty and sowing mischief behind the scenes like little sissies.

Not really. They were just the thirteen who were at Shayol Ghul when LTT and the Hundred Companions made their strike. The Dark had many Channelers of equal or greater strength than some of the thirteen who disappeared into history after The Sealing.

As far as Nynaeve goes. She's absolutely blind to her own faults but acutely aware of everyone else's. Very human in that. Also usually fun and occasionally awesome to read.

Edited by Bob T Dwarf, 17 November 2011 - 10:11 AM.

What I say is, what you believe to be true is not always true. What you think is going to happen is not always going to happen. That has been demonstrated time and again in THE WHEEL OF TIME. You could call those two statements one of the themes of the books. ... If the answer is easy, consider the possibility that you asked the wrong question. - Robert Jordan

#93 Suttree

Suttree
  • Members
  • 10,522 posts

Posted 17 November 2011 - 10:27 AM

pedraic,

these guys are supposed to be the thireteen MOST powerful aes sedai in AOL. In the space of 11 books the only character they took out has been moiraine which ofcourse everyone knows she's coming back. civil wars and stuff are just besides the point. i have never seen these forsaken demonstrate their power except rahvin who actually killed mat and aviendha and was possible going to kill rand too if not for nynaeve. that's the forsaken i want to see.

not hiding in the shadows making back alley treaty and sowing mischief behind the scenes like little sissies.

Not really. They were just the thirteen who were at Shayol Ghul when LTT and the Hundred Companions made their strike. The Dark had many Channelers of equal or greater strength than some of the thirteen who disappeared into history after The Sealing.

As far as Nynaeve goes. She's absolutely blind to her own faults but acutely aware of everyone else's. Very human in that. Also usually fun and occasionally awesome to read.

Bob has it correct, there were others but the thirteen trapped were on the top end if not all by op strength, certainly by prestige. It wasn't just happenstance that had them there, but there were others of equal standing especially after the top 6.

RJ

Forsaken was the name given to Aes Sedai who went over to the Shadow in the War of the Shadow at the end of the Age of Legends, though of course, they called themselves the Chosen, and despite the tales of the "current" Age, there were many more than a few of them. Since they occupied all sorts of levels, you might say that many were equivalent to some of the lesser Dreadlords, but it would be incorrect to call them so. At the time, they were all Forsaken—or Chosen—from the greatest to the least.

Some of those Forsaken the Dark One killed were every bit as high-ranking as the thirteen who were remembered, and who you might say constituted a large part of the Dark One's General Staff at the time of the sealing. With the Forsaken, where treachery and backstabbing were an acceptable way of getting ahead, the turnover in the upper ranks was fairly high, though Ishamael, Demandred, Lanfear, Graendal, Semirhage, and later Sammael, were always at the top end of the pyramid. They were very skilled at personal survival, politically and physically.

In large part the thirteen were remembered because they were trapped at Shayol Ghul, and so their names became part of that story, though it turned out that details of them, stories of them, survived wide-spread knowledge of the tale of the actual sealing itself. Just that they had been sealed away. Other Forsaken were left behind, so to speak, free but in a world that was rapidly sliding down the tube. The men eventually went mad and died from the same taint that killed off the other male Aes Sedai. They had no access to the Dark One's protective filters. The women died, too, though from age or in battle or from natural disasters created by insane male Aes Sedai or from diseases that could no longer be controlled because civilization itself had been destroyed and access to those who were skilled in Healing was all but gone. And soon after their deaths, their names were forgotten, except for what might possibly be discovered in some ancient manuscript fragment that survived the Breaking. A bleak story of people who deserved no better, and not worth telling in any detail.

Edited by Suttree, 17 November 2011 - 10:27 AM.

Waves are the ultimate illusion. They come out of nowhere, instantaneously materialize, and just as quickly they break and vanish. Chasing after such fleeting mirages is a complete wast of time. That is what I choose to do with my life." - Miki Dora

#94 sweetellisande

sweetellisande
  • Members
  • 48 posts

Posted 19 November 2011 - 11:41 AM

I love Nyneave mostly because of her relationship with Rand. the way she honestly cares for him and is not afraid to call him down when he's being bullheaded. A conversation with the Dragon was one of my all time fav chapters.
Posted Image
I see him before you! Him, the one who lives many lives, the one who gives deaths, the one who raises mountains. He will break what he must break, but first, he stands here,before our King. You will bloody him! Measure his restraint. He speaks! How was the fallen slain? Tellindal Tirraso, murdered by his hand. The darkness that came the day before the light. You must ask and you must know your fate. If he cannot answer,then you will be lost. You will bring his end swiftly so that the final days may have their storm. So that light may not be consumed by he who was to have preserved it. I see him. And I weep.

#95 Quazie89

Quazie89
  • Members
  • 64 posts

Posted 16 December 2011 - 12:02 PM

I love reading about Nynaeve and Lan as much as I do Rand and Min. They're one of my most favorite couples in the series.

Edited by Quazie89, 16 December 2011 - 12:03 PM.

Posted Image

#96 Halleck

Halleck
  • Validating
  • 24 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 03:00 PM

I'm of the opinion Nynaeve was great in the first few books and the last few books with the middle ones being annoying. In the beginning she started off wanting to protect the Emond's Fielders and it was nice to have at least one character stand up to Moraine. Then she kind of gave up on the Emond's Fielders in becoming Aes Sedai and hanging out with Elayne wherever she went. She constantly complains about men and just tends to be kind of boring. Her treatment of Mat in aCoS was especially frustrating. But then she starts picking up again when she gets with Lan and starts hanging out with Rand again. By ToM she was definitely one of my favorite female characters.

#97 Theodril

Theodril

Novice

• Members
  • 1,198 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 06:22 PM

There are two Nynaeves in WoT: pre-marriage Nynaeve and post-marriage Nynaeve. I think Lan settled her down admirably!
"You trouble me so, Rand al'Thor," she said without a bit of heat. "Light, sometimes I think the Creator made you just to trouble me."

======================================

A lion on the high plains was something very different. Toy was loose on the high plains, now. She felt a chill. What sort of man had she entangled herself with? After all this time, she realized, she had hardly a clue.