My Hrrmpfs - Nynaeve

• Please log in to reply
96 replies to this topic

#41 NotPropaganda

NotPropaganda
  • Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 22 August 2009 - 03:48 AM

I had a lot of admiration for Nynaeve, I mean when you think about it she took it upon herself to chase after an Aes Sedai in order to be there for what were basically kids from her home. Even though she was little older herself, she took the responsibility upon herself. There is an element of act now, think later to her actions in the early books but I respect her for it. Also I like how she doesn't really see herself as fully Aes Sedai, much like the Aiel don't view Egwene as Aes Sedai "like the rest", because they're not really.

However, nothing annoyed me more than Nynaeve's boring passages as part of Luca's menagerie and worst of all, her opinion of Mat in Ebou Dar. I can understand Mat being an annoyance but Nynaeve took it to a ridiculous level, even Elayne got down off her high horse when it came to Mat.

Still, she was brilliant in Knife of Dreams and the chapter with Lan towards the end gave me chills.

#42 mcs0083

mcs0083
  • Members
  • 24,492 posts

Posted 24 August 2009 - 06:20 AM

Nynaeve has her moments of triumph in the story. But other then those few glimmering moments and being a love interest for Lan, she could've been left out of the story in my opinion. Or at least not as major of a character as she is.

#43 Padraic_Seebrr

Padraic_Seebrr
  • Members
  • 427 posts

Posted 24 August 2009 - 01:23 PM

Nynaeve has her moments of triumph in the story. But other then those few glimmering moments and being a love interest for Lan, she could've been left out of the story in my opinion. Or at least not as major of a character as she is.

Fun fact: Nynaeve was originally going to be written in as a love interest for Rand.

#44 Durinax

Durinax
  • DM - Staff
  • 3,820 posts

Posted 24 August 2009 - 05:51 PM

Quote from: mcs0083 on Today at 06:20:43 AM

Fun fact: Nynaeve was originally going to be written in as a love interest for Rand.

that would have been disastrous!

#45 sheikh chilli

sheikh chilli
  • Members
  • 280 posts

Posted 24 August 2009 - 08:35 PM

quite literally the most annoying character amongst the women. moghiedien should have balefired her long ago.

damn is there anything this worthless forsaken are capable of doing? when are they going to take out some worthwhile characters?

#46 Manjunathan

Manjunathan
  • Members
  • 52 posts

Posted 24 August 2009 - 10:06 PM

She's my favourite female character.
She does have her flaws but her POV's are simply hilarious to read.

#47 Mr Ares

Mr Ares

We're here.

• Members
  • 7,114 posts

Posted 25 August 2009 - 01:01 AM

damn is there anything these worthless forsaken are capable of doing?

Yeah, look at Demandred. The guy's useless.

#48 Padraic_Seebrr

Padraic_Seebrr
  • Members
  • 427 posts

Posted 25 August 2009 - 04:33 PM

damn is there anything these worthless forsaken are capable of doing?

Yeah, look at Demandred. The guy's useless.

I wouldn't say that. He's been spreading chaos for like what 7 books now?, and he STILL hasn't been caught? Also we have no idea where he is O.o

#49 Durinax

Durinax
  • DM - Staff
  • 3,820 posts

Posted 25 August 2009 - 05:53 PM

the forsaken are not really useless, they are arrogent and they interfere too much with each other

#50 sheikh chilli

sheikh chilli
  • Members
  • 280 posts

Posted 26 August 2009 - 10:30 AM

the forsaken are not really useless, they are arrogent and they interfere too much with each other

the forsaken are truly useless if we are being brtually truthful. what have they done apart from sowing mischief here and there.

They seem to be getting killed or captured. They have not even taken out any major character so far. The closest we had was when rahvin killed mat and aviendha before he got balefired.

forsaken are the biggest disppointment. only ishy did something worthwhile when he gave LTT a period of sanity so he could have seen what he has done to his family.

#51 Padraic_Seebrr

Padraic_Seebrr
  • Members
  • 427 posts

Posted 26 August 2009 - 03:39 PM

Graendal - sowed "mischief" all over Arad Doman, Arad Doman as a result has had a much prolonged civil war/dragonsworn outbreak.

Sammael - before Rand came and took him out was running an entire country, also caused the King of Illian to be taken to the White Tower, which is a plot point for Egwene in KoD. Spread the Shaido across the world, causing indirectly for Faile to be captured and wasting 3 books of Perrin on saving her (thats bad enough isn't it?)

Demandred - has been spreading chaos all over for 6-7 books, has yet to be captured, we have no idea where he is.

Semirhage - weaseled herself into being Tuon's advisor (or w/e its called in Seanchan), impersonated Tuon, made the Seanchan army go on a manhunt for Tuon to kill her, blew Rand's hand to smithereens, murdered every member of the Imperial family except for Tuon, threw Seanchan into a civil war so bad that it is basically not even a country anymore.

Mesaana - has been in the White Tower for months, spreading chaos, giving direction to Black Ajah, making Elaida a puppet until very recently, with her use of Alviarin started the Black Ajah hunters on their way, is the root cause of the division between Ajahs in the Tower.

Aran'gar - has been feeding information to the Forsaken from the rebel camp, torturing Egwene with the Power under her own nose, presumably beating up Sheriam, been influencing the Hall of the Tower in Rebel's camp.

Osan'gar - spyed on Rand for a few books, nearly killed Rand in assasination attempt.

Moridin - directing the Forsaken, spreading chaos.

Moghedien - presumably helped Masema get on his feet (by sending the 2 Black Ajah sisters to him *see Luckers post in some thread, cant remember which but it was recent*), almost killed Nynaeve, pulled Birgitte out of the World of Dreams (she is now a major minor character for Elayne).

Rahvin - caused Morgase to abdicate the throne and eventually join Perrin, was the root cause of Morgase giving up land to the Whitecloaks (though we've yet to see if that agreement stands), put Andor into a horrible state of affairs, made noticeable schisms between noble Houses in Andor.

Lanfear - caused Moiraine to go with her into the melting stone doorway taking away Moiraine for 7 books, as a result of which Rand (who thinks Moiraine is dead) has Moiraine at the top of the list of women he has killed, made the Shaido into the clan that rebeled by taking Asmodean into the Waste to put the marks on Couladin, thus starting the Shaido rebellion and ravaging Cairhein and Ghealdean and the other countries that were effected by Sammael sowing the Shaido.

Be'lal - nothing really, that I can think of anyway...

Asmodean - direct cause of Shaido rebellion by putting the Dragons on Couladin's arms, indirectly causing the sowing of Shaido around the world, destroyed parts of Rhuiden while wrestling with Rand, was murdered in a mysterious fashion causing the biggest debate in WoT history (that son of a bitch.)

So except for Be'lal, I'd say they have all done things that are pretty useful.

#52 Vambram

Vambram

Siswai'aman of the Cor Darei Aiel, Dreadlord in Shayol Ghul,

• Members
  • 2,932 posts

Posted 26 August 2009 - 07:42 PM

So except for Be'lal, I'd say they have all done things that are pretty useful.

QFT.

#53 Padraic_Seebrr

Padraic_Seebrr
  • Members
  • 427 posts

Posted 26 August 2009 - 07:58 PM

QFT ?

#54 Vambram

Vambram

• Members
  • 2,932 posts

Posted 26 August 2009 - 08:17 PM

Quoted for Truth.

#55 Padraic_Seebrr

Padraic_Seebrr
  • Members
  • 427 posts

Posted 26 August 2009 - 08:19 PM

So, you agree with me? O.o?

#56 Vambram

Vambram

• Members
  • 2,932 posts

Posted 26 August 2009 - 08:28 PM

Yes.

#57 redbj

redbj
  • Members
  • 146 posts

Posted 26 August 2009 - 09:40 PM

it might be because im in the early books on my current read through, but.....in regards to that list up there, lanfear is awesome....i guess they just dont make forsaken like they used to.

morraine is really the only major character to die...or dissappear from the books i should say...yeah?...added to the chaos the shaido create...lanfear is one arse kickin' bitch.

then comes semiherge....despite not knowing the seanchen family, you gotta say..taking them out is pretty ruthless.

the rest really fail to register...oh, they do damage...just not really enough to be described the way they are.(opinion)

#58 Arani Lepenque Aes Sedai

Arani Lepenque Aes Sedai
  • Members
  • 793 posts

Posted 26 August 2009 - 10:11 PM

Aran'gar - has been feeding information to the Forsaken from the rebel camp, torturing Egwene with the Power under her own nose, presumably beating up Sheriam, been influencing the Hall of the Tower in Rebel's camp.

And was nearly discovered, and had to run away with her tail between her legs.  Pitiful.

Osan'gar - spyed on Rand for a few books, nearly killed Rand in assasination attempt.

And got killed by Elza, and Aes Sedai, whom he considers a tame wimp.  What a loser.

Moghedien - presumably helped Masema get on his feet (by sending the 2 Black Ajah sisters to him *see Luckers post in some thread, cant remember which but it was recent*), almost killed Nynaeve, pulled Birgitte out of the World of Dreams (she is now a major minor character for Elayne).

And got captured by Nynaeve because she was careless.  A half trained girl bringing a 'worldly woman' to her knees IS sort of well...  I'd say Moghedien's useless, except for causing minor trouble.  She couldn't even escape without someone's help.

#59 Padraic_Seebrr

Padraic_Seebrr
  • Members
  • 427 posts

Posted 27 August 2009 - 05:06 AM

But consider the damage that Aran'gar had been doing up to that point in the rebel camp by influencing the Hall.

I never claimed Osan'gar was too good :P, just said he did something.

I agree Moghedien is mostly useless, but I think that helping a lunatic assemble a huge army of raping, murdering, looting maniacs is a pretty big achievement.

#60 Ellianora

Ellianora
  • Members
  • 7,669 posts

Posted 27 August 2009 - 05:15 AM

Semirhage - weaseled herself into being Tuon's advisor (or w/e its called in Seanchan), impersonated Tuon, made the Seanchan army go on a manhunt for Tuon to kill her, blew Rand's hand to smithereens, murdered every member of the Imperial family except for Tuon, threw Seanchan into a civil war so bad that it is basically not even a country anymore.

This is why Semi is one of my fav Forsaken, pretty badass imo, not useless at all really. And if you're curious her position was so'feia (Truth Speaker) to Tuon.

Back on topic though, I like Nynaeve. She seems to have grown more mature as she goes along and does it a lot better than some of the other female characters. I like her plot lines and she does have some pretty awesome scenes.