DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

An Even "Stranger" Occurrence {Attn Christine, Arath, and Tai}

Aria Airn

Aria awoke early and busied herself checking her belongings and making sure that no one had disturbed her things in the night. She did not think this was that sort of Inn but then again, you never knew. Sitting on the side of the bed, she began pulling the brush through her hair. The thought of a hot breakfast by the fire downstairs brought a smile to her lips. After finishing her brushing, she wandered over to the wardrobe where she had put her clothes. She stopped and stared, trying to decide what to wear. She passed over a dress for a pair of breeches and a blouse. Seems she was wearing those more often of late. The blouse was far more snug than the one she had worn yesterday, and molded to her body in a pleasing way. She felt like looking pretty today. Doing up the Laces in the front loosely, she grabbed her belt pouch.

Bouncing down the stairs and taking a seat in the corner of the common room, she ordered some breakfast and some hot, spiced wine. Thoughts flashed through her head. Most of what Geirrin had told her last night spoke of an army living here. He had called the place the Farm. That was a peculiar name.

Why here? What under the Light was it? A cause?

Aria shook her head and gazed into the fireplace. She may well be a million leagues from what she sought. she had little to go on and had jumped at the first hint of a chance like some fool girl. Pulling her legs up under her, she watched the flames dance along the logs and waited for her meal. Maybe she was a fool. It seems her mood was quickly darkening after all.

Slipping out of the house, Michelle felt her stomach grumble again.  Light, how had she slept so late again?  The house was empty and she knew that Arath and Tai were probably out training, and that left her in a house with no food at all.  That was it - she was going grocery shopping as soon as possible, and probably to somewhere with FRESH food.  Lucky for her, she had an automatic transport to anywhere she wanted, and she wasn't afraid to use it.

She had glanced at her new dresses and things, wondering what to wear, and found herself in shock that she opted for the old breeches and shirt.  She had better not let Arath see her wearing her old things, as he would probably be furious and hurt she wouldn't wear what he had just bought her.  It just felt wierd to wear such pretty things.

As she slipped into the inn, a few eyes slid across her, and she looked around for a place to sit.  She could feel their eyes - this was the woman at their Attack Leader's house.  Her eyes landed on a woman off to one side, with bouncy blonde hair.  Well, she had seen most of the women here, and this one was someone new.  Sliding into the seat beside her, she smiled, saying, "Mind if I sit?  My name is Michelle.  I am Arath's friend."

Michelle

Aria was lost in thought staring at the flames, and so did not notice the woman sliding into the seat next to her until she spoke.

"Mind if I sit?  My name is Michelle.  I am Arath's friend." Aria's gaze shifted to the woman blankly at the mention of the name. She realized that under the table, she was fingering where her dagger should be. She did not like being startled. Quickly overcoming her shock she nodded that the seat the woman had taken was fine and smiled politely.

"Hello Michelle, my name is Mahdi." Giving a false name still felt awkward but she did not know who she could trust. "Who is Arath? I arrived only last night, i'm afraid I do not know anyone. Ok, so that is not entirely true. I met a man in a black coat, Gierrin was his name. But then again, most men here seem to be wearing black coats." 

That was going to shift the conversation to a dangerous place, why the men here wore uniforms. What an army was doing just south east of Caemlyn. Aria wanted no part of that. Hurriedly she continued on as she spotted the waitress bringing her her meal.

"Ahh here comes the food. Would you like to join me for a meal?"

Michelle's smile was met with a shocked face, and then a smile. "Hello Michelle, my name is Mahdi."   Mahdi?  It sounded more like a name from the Borderlands or perhaps Arad Doman.  After working at the inn for so long, Michelle had begun to pick up on names and their homeland.  The same with accents.  But the name and the woman did not fit.

"Who is Arath? I arrived only last night, I'm afraid I do not know anyone. Ok, so that is not entirely true. I met a man in a black coat, Gierrin was his name. But then again, most men here seem to be wearing black coats." Michelle had to smile at a woman who had just become her best friend.  They were both so new to a foreign place that it would take both of their strengths to survive in this strange strange place.

"Ahh here comes the food. Would you like to join me for a meal?"  Michelle smiled and nodded at the waitress for another bowl.  "Yes, thank you.  I am absolutely starving."  The waitress hurried away and Michelle gave Aria a moment to sip the soup before she began talking. "Well, welcome to the Black Tower.  I know the boys call it a farm, but its really more of a School and Army Base.  And Arath is the Attack Leader.  He is third in command."

The soup arrived and Michelle thanked the waitress, handing her a coin for both soups.  "All of the men are in black coats, yes, as they see it as a sign of stature.  I think they just don't understand fashion at all."   Michelle had to giggle at her joke. "Every Civilian has a reason to be here.  I am here because Arath brought me here.  He is my friend, and I his, so we protect eachother.  What is your story?"

Michelle

Aria found herself grateful that the woman nodded at the waitress for another bowl of soup. So the woman had decided to join her? Loneliness bolted through her, deeper than what was warranted by being in a strange place, and she stamped it out ruthlessly. She would no cry in front of this woman.

"Yes, thank you.  I am absolutely starving. Well, welcome to the Black Tower.  I know the boys call it a farm, but its really more of a School and Army Base.  And Arath is the Attack Leader.  He is third in command."

Aria blinked when she realized she had frozen halfway to her soup, eying the woman from below her lashes. Black Tower? The name had sent a flutter through her stomach. The name tugged at something in the back of her mind. She had heard that name before but where? Before she could think to deeply on it the rest crashed home. Army Base? Attack Leader? Third in command?! Her thoughts were interrupted by the arrival of Michelle's soup. Michelle put true to her earlier words as she took a scalding mouthful of soup almost before she realized it was hot. Aria simply sipped hers, grateful for the warmth.

"All of the men are in black coats, yes, as they see it as a sign of stature.  I think they just don't understand fashion at all." Aria chuckled, low and husky at the woman's joke. She was starting to like this woman.

Instantly her defenses shot up again as the woman asked her reason for being here. Smoothing her face to stillness, she gazed at Michelle for a long while before answering her. She did like the woman. But liking someone did not mean you could trust them. She could use someone else in this odd place to befriend her, help her in her hunt. The woman did not look an easy mark although most may not see it that way. Fingering her thigh where her dagger should sit, she made her choice. She would do what she must if it came to that, friend or no. Carefully she set her bowl down, and arranged her spoon just so before beginning.

"I have been traveling for a while now, Michelle."  She began slowly. "The destination I have been traveling towards is unimportant. My journey has brought me here and I think I may have found a friend. Right now, with all of this being so strange," She found herself grinning then, a warm and friendly grin. "a friend is what seems important." She hoped the woman would not take offense at her cautious attitude. She must understand that she had barely met her and was in a strange place unsure of who she could trust. One look at the woman's grin and her fears were put to rest. She really did like this woman.

"It seems that this place is an Army of some kind, what kind i do not care to know." She said, her smile faltering slightly. "I am just glad to finally have found a friend. Is there anywhere to find new clothing? My clothes have been worn thin for the last year i have been on the road." Aria rolled her eyes to show what she thought of that. She was wearing one of her best outfits today. placing her feet back on the floor she finished the last of her soup. "I would love some new clothes!"

Silence struck them both with Michelle's question, and she realised that she had struck a cord.  She returned to her soup, waiting for some other topic to slip into her mind.  "I have been traveling for a while now, Michelle."   She began slowly. "The destination I have been traveling towards is unimportant. My journey has brought me here and I think I may have found a friend. Right now, with all of this being so strange, a friend is what seems important."

Michelle nodded, understanding.  Friendship was what was needed to survive this place.  Men were going crazy every day and one wrong movement could land them all dead.  Friends would help her survive this place, and Mahdi had become just that.  They laughed and smiled at eachother, and Michelle immediately felt like this was a close sister she was talking to instead of a stranger.

"It seems that this place is an Army of some kind, what kind i do not care to know."  Mahdi's smile faltered, and Michelle understood the fear that the woman had seemed to have hit her.  This was an army of channeling men around them - not everyone could accept that off the bat.  Even Michelle was startled at times at how easily she had accepted this place. "I am just glad to finally have found a friend. Is there anywhere to find new clothing? My clothes have been worn thin for the last year i have been on the road."

CLOTHES! This woman had just become her best friend.  "I would love some new clothes!"  Not even finishing her soup, she giggled, rising from her seat.  "Clothes?  Well, my dear, we do not have a dress shop here, but I know someone that MAY take us shopping.  Do you prefer Caemlyn, Amadicia, or Arad Doman?"   Michelle giggled at Mahdi's shocked face, and grabbed her hand, pulling her up.

"Come back to my place with me, and we can grab a few things, then bug Arath to take us shopping.  And, if he isn't there now, you can borrow something of mine.  Wait, where are you staying?  You are so coming to my house with me!  We have an extra room that I know Arath wouldn't mind letting you have!"

Michelle

Michelle giggled at the mention of clothes and Aria grinned. She was liking this woman more and more.

"Clothes?  Well, my dear, we do not have a dress shop here, but I know someone that MAY take us shopping.  Do you prefer Caemlyn, Amadicia, or Arad Doman?" Aria blinked and stared at Michelle in surprise. Caemlyn was close but...What was she talking about? Michelle giggled again and grabbed her hand. Aria resisted the urge to twist out of the woman's sudden grasp, and allowed the woman to pull her to her feet.

"Come back to my place with me, and we can grab a few things, then bug Arath to take us shopping.  And, if he isn't there now, you can borrow something of mine.  Wait, where are you staying?  You are so coming to my house with me!  We have an extra room that I know Arath wouldn't mind letting you have!"

Aria grinned at the woman's outburst. Her energy was infectious, especially when one contained just as much if not more inside her own self. It definitely was nice of Michelle to offer a stranger into her home and her clothing. Aria felt a momentary stab of guilt at the false name she had given. Laughing she explained about her belongings upstairs. Squeezing the woman's hand she swallowed the lump in her throat and hurried to the stairs before Michelle cold see her eyes mist over.

Light! She thought as she scrubbed the tears out of her eyes. It feels good to have a friend again. Quickly gathering her things, Aria took the stairs two at a time on her way back down. Her grin was mirrored on the other woman's face as they linked arm in arm and walked out of the Inn.

I wonder what it will be like staying there. She thought idly.

Michelle watched as Mahdi ran up the stairs to get her things, and she smiled, finally feeling at home.  It wasn't like Arath hadn't been perfectly wonderful, but having another woman around would be so amazing.  If Arath had a problem with her staying in the other room, then she would easily add another bed to the room.  The HUGE closet would serve to hold anything and everything they had. 

Mahdi came dashing back down after a few minutes with a bag and linked her arm with Michelle's.  She couldn't help but laugh as they both dashed out the door and Michelle led her to Arath's home.  As they came up to the door, Michelle stopped her and opened up the door, smiling.  "I have to warn you, don't touch anything in Arath's office, or it will blow up, but otherwise, everything else is safe."

Leading Mahdi inside, Michelle first showed her the living room in all its drab.  A few chairs and a table made for much boring that Michelle still needed to fix.  Next on the tour was the kitchen which was still empty, but was next on the list of shopping for and fixing.  Excited still about the bathroom, she decided to leave that till later when Arath could warm up the water for them.

"Ok, and now we have the upstairs.  This over here is Arath's room."   Michelle slowly opened up the door to Arath's room, stepping inside as she let the scent of him hit her face.  She noticed the shirt she had worn the other day resting on his bed, and she wished to know what it was doing there.  Mahdi was looking at her strangely, and Michelle just blushed and smiled. 

"And over here is my room," she said, leading Mahdi to the door across the hall.  "We can find you some dresses as soon as the tour is over!"  Down the hall they went, and Michelle glanced at Tai's door.  "Don't mess with that idiot's room.  He is half crazed already, and I just tried to avoid the big oaf."  Going over to the last door, she pushed it open, letting Mahdi take a look.

The room was as simple as the rest of the house, with just a bed, desk, chest, and closet in it.  A fine layer of dust was over everything, but the sunlight shined in and it looked like a portrait.  "No one has been here for a while, I don't think, but we can easily clean this up to look more homey.  My next "Big Spend" is going to bed proper linens and blankets for the bed as well as cleaning supplies and kitchen ware."

Michelle sat on the foot of the bed as she let Mahdi look around.  "So, what do you think?  Not too bad, considering a guy designed this place."

Michelle

Aria grinned as they approached the two story house. It was larger than most buildings in the village. Michelle stopped in front of a door and pulled it open smiling.

"I have to warn you, don't touch anything in Arath's office, or it will blow up, but otherwise, everything else is safe." Aria blinked and almost tripped.

Light! it will blow up? What was Michelle getting her into?! Before she could think to far on it, Michelle had pulled her inside. Aria looked around at the sparsely furnished room. The Inn looked extravagant by comparison. Next she led her past some stairs into the kitchen. There was a fairly nice table and some chairs in the center of the room but it looked fairly sparse as well.

"Ok, and now we have the upstairs.  This over here is Arath's room." Michelle walked to a door down the hall, and stepped into the room almost hesitantly. She stopped and seemed to calm, which was somewhat strange for her, and then sat staring at one of the man's shirt strewn across the bed. Coming out of it she smiled and blushed. Quickly she turned out of the room and led her across the hallway.

"And over here is my room, We can find you some dresses as soon as the tour is over!" Aria had to giggle at that. What a grand tour! She almost resolved into a fit of giggles but Michelle was leading the way out of the room already. They wandered down to the other end of the hallway and Michelle glanced at one of the doors. "Don't mess with that idiot's room.  He is half crazed already, and I just tried to avoid the big oaf." Aria blinked As Michelle showed her the other room not far from the first. She was going to be living that close to an half crazed, big oaf?! Maybe bunking with Michelle wouldn't be that bad! From the sound of it she wanted nothing to do with the man. Michelle sat down on the edge of the bed and Aria wandered in, looking around. It was bare but she could make due. "So, what do you think?  Not too bad, considering a guy designed this place."

"Well," Began Aria. "Sure beats sleeping under a bush!" She grinned at her new found friend. A thought floated through her head as she wandered over to look out the window at the view. How long was she going to stay here? What if she found something to draw her away? Her hunt was not over. Ignoring the thought, Aria turned back to Michelle all but bouncing on her toes.

"It has been so long since i have had some nice new clothes! when do we get to go shopping?" Her stomach rumbled and she realized it was close to time for a mid day meal. "On second thought, do you have something light to eat? Maybe some wine or tea?" She looked at the other woman hopefully. She really didn't want to be a bother as she really liked Michelle. Things were finally looking up for once!

Mahdi looked a little overwhelmed, and Michelle could understand.  It was alot to take in.  "Well, sure beats sleeping under a bush!"   They both bursted into giggles, and Michelle rose, ready to take her to her room and look at clothes. Every woman felt better after wearing nice clean clothes. Or better yet, a bath.  As soon as Arath got back to the house, Mahdi could get a bath while Michelle either got Arath to wash the old clothes or else put together something real quick out of her clothes.

"It has been so long since i have had some nice new clothes! When do we get to go shopping?" SHOPPING! The simple word made Michelle grin. "On second thought, do you have something light to eat? Maybe some wine or tea?" Of course, how silly of her to not be a proper hostess.  Even after being in the slums of Caemlyn, she knew better.

"Of course!  You can leave your bags here and I am sure we have something in the kitchen."   Going down the stairs, Michelle went to the kitchen and opened up the cupboard and pulled out two mugs.  Light, where was Arath when she needed him?  Taking the kettle, she filled it with fresh water and walked out the back door, leaving Mahdi in the kitchen.  Spotting a man in black a few doors down, Michelle politely asked him to warm up the water for her.

The man obliged and a few moments later, steam came from the kettle.  She would have to get Arath to build some type of fire for her so she wasn't helpless when he wasnt around.  Going back to the house, she filled the pot with the steaming water and tea leaves before handing a full mug and sugar to Mahdi.  "These men are very useful, but I swear, I feel almost lost without Arath around!"

Speak of the devil, the front door opened and Michelle set down her mug, smiling and going to the front door.  In walked Arath, and Michelle smiled, grabbing his hand and pulling him into the kitchen, irregardless of the fact that he looked tired and dirty.  "Arath, I hope you don't mind, but I have a new friend that needs somewhere to stay."   Tai walked in the door behind him and looked just as terrible as usual.

Introducing Tai and Arath to Mahdi, she said, "Arath, and oaf, this is-"

Michelle

"Of course!  You can leave your bags here and I am sure we have something in the kitchen." Aria sighed in gratitude and relief, and followed Michelle down stairs.

They both bustled downstairs and into the kitchen, Michelle leading the way, to get the mentioned food and drink. Michelle rummaged in a cupboard and came up with two mugs which she set on the table. Just as Aria was wondering what she was going to do with the kettle, Michelle walked outside leaving her alone in the kitchen. Shifting uncomfortably, Aria almost followed the girl.

Stop being a wool-headed idiot. She told herself firmly. If you are going to stay here then this is your house as well.

Aria finally settled for picking at her breeches and waiting. Michelle must have a fire out back or something, she mused. Sure enough Michelle came back into the room with a steaming kettle. She had not been gone long, and Aria was about to ask her how hot that fire was when Michelle muttered.

"These men are very useful, but I swear, I feel almost lost without Arath around!" She must have found a fire somewhere. Just then the door opened and Michelle went to grab the man's hand. "Arath, I hope you don't mind, but I have a new friend that needs somewhere to stay." So the man was Arath. Quickly she stood to greet him, a grin on her face. It simply wouldn't do to have the man of the house's first impression of his new guest to be a bad one. Even if he looked a little dirty.

OOC:  There IS a wood stove in the kitchen you know ... just because the place is full of channelers doesn't mean he didn't plan for normal people.

IC:  "So if you just tone the fire down a little bit, it shouldn't be so hard to control the weave," said Arath, explaining a rather problematic weave to Tai'Dashan.  "Sometimes you need to sacrifice a little power for control.

It had been a long day.  Between a great deal of testing, and a full blown duel, the both of them were exhuasted.  And dirty.  Getting one's clothes messy didn't seem overly important when dodging a fireball.

As they tromped back to the house, Arath spent a great deal of time explaining exactly what mistakes Tai had made during the duel.  Slight things that had given Arath the advantage.  All in all, he was pleased with the results.  Tai had come a long way since his arrival at the farm.  It was always fulfilling to train someone up to reach their full potential.  Arath believed that it wouldn't be long before Tai wore a Dragon pin on his collar along with the sword.

When he opened the door, Arath wasn't expecting Michelle to be there waiting to drag him inside.  It was still strange getting used to the fact that she was there.  He also wasn't prepared for the friend she had with her.  "Arath, I hope you don't mind, but I have a new friend that needs somewhere to stay."

Arath blinked and shook his head.  "Uh ... what?  I ... I guess ..."  He took a look at what was apparently the newest resident of his house.  She stood with a grin and waved at him.  Feeling a little confused and helpless, (since when did I lose control of my own home?) he turned to Tai.  At least HE was still normal, even if everything else was changing around the house.

"So if you just tone the fire down a little bit, it shouldn't be so hard to control the weave,"

Tai nodded. Arath had been explaining this all the way back to the house but he just now caught on to what the man said. He had thought that- No, that was not important. Arath gave him tips here and there, little things that he could have done better. It pleased him that Arath seemed to approve of his progress. Tai truly did try hard to have the man proud of him.

Arath finished pointing out a particularly bad tendency Tai had to be so eager when the walked up to the front door. Tai was looking forward to a nice hot bath, and maybe a meal at the Inn after. He stopped to glance at the roofing directly above the door, wondering when they would have to repair it. He heard Michelle inside going at full speed about the Light knew what and followed Arath's back into the house.

"Uh ... what?  I ... I guess ..." Arath said sounding confused. Tai heard Michelle introducing someone and peeked around his back.

"Arath, and oaf, this is-"

"Aria?!" Tai broke in, his voice pitched in disbelief, he stepped around the man. The fact that Michelle had called him a name yet again sat on the surface of his brain like a rock on a frozen pond. His mind was numb. The blond curls, the blue eyes, those curves. Light but it couldn't be her! Michelle protested that this woman's name was Mahdi not Aria. But Tai hardly heard, he didn't notice the strange look Michelle gave when the other woman blushed either. "Aria?" He whispered. It was so faint he was sure she wouldn't have even heard it. She nodded ever so slightly. Pain crashed in around him, squeezing his heart painfully. Joy warred with Pain, his throat constricting until he was sure it would turn inside out. Tai swallowed the lump in his throat painfully and dashed tears from his eyes angrily.

"Tai I," She began softly.

He didn't give her a chance to finish, or if she did he didn't hear the words directed at his back. Almost before he knew what was happening, he was back outside and heading southwest. Toward the clearing. The fresh air ran through his hair like a fond hand. The tears came more freely then. What under the Light was she doing here?!

"Arath, and oaf, this is-"

"Aria?!" The word hit her like a thunderbolt. Her gaze moved and her eyes widened when they found the source of that voice. Of all the places and all the times she never thought she would find him like this!

Michelle insisted that her name was Mahdi, not Aria, and glanced at her to see why this man was calling her by a different name. Shame lit her cheeks aflame. Tai mouthed her name again questioningly and she nodded. His eyes said that that nod had broken something inside the man. His face contorted for the briefest moment before his hand rose to his face to wipe away sudden tears. When he lowered it his face was still once more.

"Tai I," She began, Light where to start? The love of her life was here in front of her eyes and...he was leaving? Tai had turned her back and left. Aria caught her breath and held back the sudden tears that stung her eyes. Glancing at Michelle for comfort she, flinched away from her accusing stare. She had lied to the woman. Arath simply looked confused as to wether to go after Tai or stay here to find out what was going on.

Light, today was such a mess. She had planned for the last few days what their meeting would be like. This was nothing of the sort.

Arath stood against the doorframe, silently wondering what in the light all of this was about.  When Tai took off running in the general direction of his clearing, Arath remained behind.  He knew where his student was likely headed, and he figured that he should probably know a little more of what was going on before going to talk with the Dedicated.

Taking his first good look at this Aria who was looking out into the darkness, Arath wondered exactly what had happened between the two.  And what sick twist of fate had brought her to HIS house.  "So then," he began carefully, directing his words at both Aria and Michelle, "Who wants to tell me what all this is about?"

• 2 weeks later...

Michelle felt good as she rubbed up against Arath.  His body was warm from his workout and she could smell him, so earthy and rich.  Words were flowing from her mouth as she tried to pay attention to Mahdi but still have her eyes on Arath.  "Aria?!"  Tai interupted her, and she looked at him glaring, then realising the name he had said.  Honestly, he had gone off the deep end AGES ago!

"Tai, don't be an oaf; her name is Mahdi.  Will you go be an idiot elsewhere?"  But Tai just ignored her as Mahdi and Tai stared at eachother.  What?!?!?!  "Aria?" Tai repeated, and Mahdi smiled.  Well, Aria.  "Ok, woah now, what is going on?" Michelle asked, but neither heard her as they stared at eachother.  "Oh great, my new friend wants the crazy man."

They both had rock hard faces with no emotion, then Tai seemed to break down before her.  "Tai I," Aria stopped as Tai turned and left the house.  Arath turned and watched him go, and Michelle took the opportunity to pull away from Arath, although she longed to be back in his arms. 

Michelle looked at Aria, and saw the woman almost in tears.  It didn't matter; she had lied to her.  But it hurt more than anything.  She just had to stare at the woman in shock.  Why would she lie about something so simple as a name?  Well... if Tai was involved, then that was a good enough reason, but still!

"So then, who wants to tell me what all this is about?"   Michelle turned to look at Aria and spoke up first.  "Well... My guess is something happened between them.  And she is my guest... still... to stay here."   Michelle attempted a smile, although she was hurt, but to at least show her forgiveness, if Aria wanted it.

"And my other guess is, this isn't between us Arath... this is between them.  And I think... I think you should let them handle it."   Yes, that way she could spend time with Arath without Tai and Aria around. 

Michelle

"So then, who wants to tell me what all this is about?" Arath said looking at the two of them. Aria was miserable. She glanced at Michelle, who spoke.

"Well... My guess is something happened between them.  And she is my guest... still... to stay here." To the woman's credit, Michelle attempted to smile and she was trying to show Aria that she could forgive her. That was, if she could forgive herself... Michelle continued. "And my other guess is, this isn't between us Arath... this is between them.  And I think... I think you should let them handle it."

Aria almost winced as Arath turned his gaze to her, not that it was unfriendly but it was a hard gaze, and she owed him an explanation.

"You see," she started but had to clear her throat as it constricted. "Tai and I, we grew up in Mayne together." She found herself pulling nervously at the hem of her blouse and forced her hands to her sides. "He and I, we," She blushed and tried to cover it by running her hand through her blond curls. "we lived, he was, for three years- Oh Light, we were lovers!" She blushed again furiously. The words were pouring out of her mouth and she couldn't seem to stop them. She didn't know how else to explain their past without just coming out and saying it but she didn't want to sound improper. They did deserve an explanation.

Aria glanced at Arath, was he grinning?! The smile disappeared just as quickly as it was there, so fast it may not have been there at all.

"I, i haven't seen him for sometime now." The words continued and she couldn't stop them. "I love him." The last words came out wretchedly, and were said in a whisper. Turning she went to leave. The shame was too much and she just wanted to be alone. Turning around, she faced the kitchen and realized she had no where to go. Slumping down against the wall she put her face in her hands and wept softly. She felt so alone. She had finally found him, Light how she had missed him! and he hardly seemed happy to see her. Now she was in a strange house, all of her searching at an end, but not with the result she had hoped for. Quietly she regained her composure and stood. Pulling the hem of her shirt, exposing her soft stomach to the cool air, she wiped her tears almost apologetically.

Arath sighed and scrubbed a hand through his hair.  What a bloody mess.  As Aria collapsed into a weeping pile against the wall, Arath leaned close and whispered to Michelle, "I'm going to go find him.  Try to calm her down a bit."  He glanced down at Aria who was attempting to scrub the tears away with her shirt.  "And don't mention ... what we can do.  She might not know yet, and it's probably best that it come from him."

With a small smile, Arath stepped outside.  Once the door was closed he grasped the source and wove a gateway to the clearing that Tai frequented.  Letting the gateway collapse behind him, Arath took a quick look around.  No sign of Tai yet.  But he would show up, Arath was sure.  It was doubtful that the man had Travelled anywhere, and couldn't have run this far that quickly.  While he waited, Arath pulled a pair of earthen stools from the ground and wove a barrier against moisture.  Taking a seat while he waited, he thought about what he should say.

A minute or so later, he heard someone crashing through the trees.  When Tai finally broke through to the clearing he paused, looking tired, dazed, and confused.  Waving the Dedicated over to the other chair, Arath cleared his throat and spoke.  "I've never seen anyone run so hard to get away from a pretty woman.  Is she that dangerous?"

Tai assumed the Void and shoved the pain away, or rather he tried to. The Void kept slipping like the tears down his face. Angrily he scrubbed the tears from his face and stumbled on.

~Death, death will end the pain. No pain in the darkness of death.~ Sang the voice in his head gleefully.

Shut up Chaos! He screamed inside his own head. The Light burn you to ashes you goat-brained, son of a trolloc! For once spare me your vile filth. Tai felt Chaos pull back, it felt...stiff.

Tai grappled with the Void until he felt it slide home. Aria, Light... Aria! Pain lanced the void and Tai hit his hands and knees. Kneeling in the cold mud he didn't notice the Soldier staring at him. Clenching his fists in the mud he watched it squeeze out between his fingers. His hands shook with the force of clenching them.

She had left so long ago. Wrapped herself so tightly around his heart that it beat in time with her breath, and she had left, tearing it out of him. The gaping hole she had left in him had left him weeping at nights until his eyes and throat were raw, cursing and professing his love in turns. He had forced himself to go on living when no life remained in him. Day by day he had succeeded in rising from bed one more time, only to return to it in the dark, alone. He had made it through those cold and lonely nights. Come to terms with her absence.

Getting to his feet he channeled carefully and removed the mud from his hands and clothes. That gaping hole had been mended, scarred and unsightly, but mended none the less. Or he had thought so until he saw her face. Everything had come rushing back to him in that moment. Almost crushed him with its weight. He was lost and needed time to think. This was where he found himself, walking woodenly toward the clearing. As he pushed through the trees he floated in the void. He-

~You are alone, so bitterly alone. She does not love you or she never would have left!~ The voice hammered at him as he staggered through the trees. What did you expect? It sneered. Do you really think she loves you? That she is here to take you back as if all was forgotten? She abandoned you like refuse.

Tai dimly was aware of branches whipping him as he staggered through them, his pain lancing him along with Chaos' words. Crashing into the clearing he numbly stopped himself from falling.

"I've never seen anyone run so hard to get away from a pretty woman.  Is she that dangerous?"

The Void shattered and the last thing he remembered was a thousand needles piercing his soul and a raw throated scream that echoed inside his head.

A snarl painted his face and he crouched like a trapped animal suddenly finding itself free. Chaos looked at the man Arath, that was his name and spit.

"~You think to help his pain? You and all the others who pretend to care about him?~" Mistrust and Hate ran deep within Chaos and he reached for Saidin, filling himself with it. "~You parade around with your fancy titles, acting like you know whats best. You disgust me.~" Again he spat on the ground. Arath rose to his feet with a slightly confused look on his face and Chaos struck. With blinding speed he channeled. Spirit to shield the man and air to bind. He would not allow the man to harm him.

Of all the reactions Arath had anticipated, this was not one of them.  "~You think to help his pain? You and all the others who pretend to care about him?  You parade around with your fancy titles, acting like you know whats best. You disgust me.~"

Instinct more than anything guided his actions for the next few moments, and probably saved his life.  As the shield came crashing toward him, Arath lashed out with spirit and fire, cutting apart the weave.  The same weave whipped around again to slice the uncomfortably close air bindings.  As Tai began to weave again, Arath retaliated with his own attacks.  A low flying weave of air capable of sweeping the man's legs out from under him was easily deflected, but it was more of a distraction anyway.  Leaping onto the chair he had made earlier, Arath sent a loosely woven shield as another distraction.

Drawing upon his tricks from earlier that day, Arath called lightning out of the stormy sky.  The bolt crashed down only a dozen yards away, sending electricity coursing through the water and mud and into Tai's body.  He shook in a tremendous spasm, then collapsed to the ground twitching.  Gingerly stepping off of his chair, Arath cautiously approached.  It probably wasn't necessary at this point, but he slammed a strong shield into place, cutting the unconscious Dedicated off from the source.

After checking to see if he was still alive, and rolling him over so he wouldn't drown in the mud, Arath settled back on his chair and waited, thinking.  His ... Light, why was he referring to himself like that?  Arath was afraid he knew the answer already, but wasn't sure he wanted to accept it.  This voice that Tai heard, Chaos, must have taken over.  Hopefully it was not a permanent loss of control.  Arath truly didn't relish the thought of going back to tell Michelle and Aria that he had had to kill Tai.

And if Tai woke up as Chaos, that would be exactly what he would have to do.  Cutting him off from the source wouldn't stop him from more mundane means of violence.  Arath cut off the disturbing line of thought as the still smoking man at his feet stirred.  Preparing a flame arrow in his hand, Arath grimly waited for Tai to fully regain consciousness.  Light send he didn't need it.

OOC: GOSH DERNIT QUIT POSTING SO FAST

IC:

Aria looked faint, as though she would fall over.  Michelle almost stepped closer to her, to hold her up, but then the woman spoke.  "Tai and I, we grew up in Mayne together." Ideas of what could possibly be so bad ran through her mind... Ok, so she grew up beside the big oaf.  Big deal?

Aria was glaring at the ground and shaking back and forth.  Light, this had to be bad.  What had she done, killed his mother?  "He and I, we," a blush went across Aria's face, and Michelle knew what it was. "we lived, he was, for three years- Oh Light, we were lovers!" Oh Light... that was enough to make Michelle want to gag.  She had to hold it back for fear that waste would come from his mouth.  Who in their right mind would sleep with... THAT?!?!?!

Michelle looked at Arath for support, but he almost seemed amused.  Light, he deserved a slap for that! But Aria spoke again, and Michelle held her hand still.  "I, i haven't seen him for sometime now." Wait... Arath had said something about guys being picked up off the street and dragged away.  Had that happened to Aria?  "I love him."

If puke had not already traveled to her mouth once, Michelle would have tasted more.  Light, did the woman just say love?  Expeccially talking about Tai?  It was enough to make any half-sensible woman sick.

Michelle turned to Arath and looked at him, not knowing what to say or do. "I'm going to go find him.  Try to calm her down a bit."  Michelle nodded as they both looked at Aria, who was now on the floor sobbing.  This wouldn't be easy.  "And don't mention ... what we can do.  She might not know yet, and it's probably best that it come from him."

They shared a smile for a brief moment, and Michelle though for half a second... maybe Love is possible.  But as the door shut, that idea was gone, and she turned back to the helpless woman that was sobbing on the floor.

"Alright, my dear.  We are going to get you into a hot bath as soon as Arath comes back and until then, we are going to feed your tummy!"  Aria almost seemed to moan as she sat there, sobbing harder, and Michelle left her there as she stepped into the kitchen and grabbed a bowl.  Searching through the cabinets, she found flour, eggs, milk, sugar, and a few other goodies that she whipped together to make a nice thick batter.

She started up the oven and within a few minutes, it was hot, and she poured the batter in small circles on a flat pan she had found.  Within a few minutes, a lovely fragrance was wafting from the pans.  Taking more milk, Michelle mixed it fast with  a fork, beating it into a pretty creamy poof.  As the flatcakes were ready, Michelle set a few on a plate, topped it with the whipped cream, and added on a few berries she found in the icebox.

Setting the plate on the table with a cup of milk, Michelle went to Aria and pulled her up by her hands, making the woman stand and face her. "Sit.  Eat.  Then a hot bath."

Michelle

OOC: YES I MADE PANCAKES.  Bite me, I did it!  Boo ya for knowing how to cook oldschool!

Michelle had been milling around the kitchen and soon wonderful smells started spreading through the house. It reminded Aria of her mother. If you asked the woman, food cured everthing. Letting Michelle guide her to the table she sat down in front of the food. It did look good. The tears threatened again and she resisted an urge to push the plate away with a groan. Her stomach felt tied in oily knots. Sighing she looked up at Michelle.

"Michelle, I am sorry i lied," she had to pause for a moment to keep the quaver out of her voice. "you must understand, I was in a strange place around strange people. I did not know who I could trust." The woman's face had started as a scowl but softened slightly by the end. Slumping in the chair she pushed the food around with the fork. "Why are men so impossible?" she mumbled. Her eyes hurt and felt like they were swollen to half again their size. She sat there at a loss for words, chewing slowly.

"What do you see in the big oaf anyway?" Immediately michelle looked like she was sorry she had spoken but Aria just smiled at her.

"He is very kind," she laughed then. "I don't think he could hurt a fly. One time there was this old man in the street and -" She cut off as she saw the look on michelle's face. "Why don't you like him michelle?" The conversation wasn't the most normal, but anything to keep her mind off of the fact that he wasn't here. That was proving difficult, taking into consideration that they were speaking about him. Aria just couldn't make herself talk about anything else at the moment.

Darkness, he was floating in complete darkness. Sensation bled slowly back into him. Light flickered softly behind his eyelids and he was cold, Light so cold. Tai groaned softly and rubbed his face as sensation returned fully. His body ached like he had been in the middle of an avalanche of boulders. Rolling onto his hands and knees he opened his eyes. He stared at the cold mud below him, the clearing? That's right he had been heading here. But why was he lying on the ground?

Picking himself up he stretched out to the source to channel the mud from his clothes and- found nothing. His attempts struck the smooth wall, he was shielded. He glanced around in a panic and saw Arath sitting on a stone seat.

"Arath? What in the Light?" he mumbled, his throat felt thick. Why was Arath looking at him so strangely? "Arath," he mumbled. "What is going on? Why are you shielding me? I'm not that upset."

Tai assumed the Void but the absence of the Source was like missing a leg. Roughly he shoved it away and anger flared up in its place. First Aria shows up in his home so long after ripping his heart out and now Arath held him shielded for no reason. Arath had not even said one word this whole time. "Talk to me burn you!" he growled at the man.

Still holding the shield, Arath took his time before speaking.  "I need to be sure who it is I'm talking to.  Dedicated Tai'Dashan, or ... Chaos?"  The seething anger in Tai's face slowly melted away into comprehension, then complete shock.  "I'm going to assume that you're Tai again, and I'm going to release the shield.  However, you are NOT to touch the source.  If you do, I will kill you.  Understood?"  The words sounded hard and cold, even for someone wrapped in the emotionless void.  He could tell that Tai didn't doubt his words.  Slowly, almost reluctantly, he released the shield.  But not his own link to Saidin.

For an instant he saw the conflict on Tai's face as he instinctively reached for the source.  It was the reaction of anyone who had recently been shielded.  But he held off.  Arath nodded.  "Now then.  Tell me what's so bloody terrifying about this woman that you have to run halfway across the farm to escape her.  The only reason any half sane man would have for running away from such a looker is bad history."

"Arath if you don't talk to me right this isntant-" Arath's voice was like frozen steel.

"I need to be sure who it is I'm talking to.  Dedicated Tai'Dashan, or ... Chaos?" Arath had never spoken to him like that. Tai hesitated in confusion. What in the Light was going on?! Then Arath's words hit him. Chaos?! Why would- Suddenly it all made sense. Horror flashed within him and he almost vomited. "I'm going to assume that you're Tai again, and I'm going to release the shield.  However, you are NOT to touch the source.  If you do, I will kill you.  Understood?" Tai nodded. He was numb and not for the cold. Instinct merged with Choas' blabbering in the back of his skull and he barely caught himself in time not to reach for Saidin. The strain was almost painful.

~Just to know it is there.~ Panted Chaos. Rage poured into him again and he ruthlessly shoved Chaos into the back of his mind. Arath nodded when he saw that Tai refrained, motioning for him to take a seat.

"Now then.  Tell me what's so bloody terrifying about this woman that you have to run halfway across the farm to escape her.  The only reason any half sane man would have for running away from such a looker is bad history." Tai sighed and put his head in his hands. Warmth had returned to Arath's voice slightly but Tai had no clue where to start. Part of him wanted to punch the man for calling her a looker. Part of him wanted to channel enough of Saidin to incinerate himself. He was a jumbled mass of raw emotion. Long buried pain shredded into millions of painful pieces and brought roughly to the surface.

Tai looked up at the man, and looked him in the eyes. His mentor, his friend. Arath had been the first one to truly act like they cared about him since..well, since Aria left. He had become someone to look up to, a friend in a strange place as he started a journey towards madness or death. Someone to understand and not just treat him like another tool. The tears started again as he spoke.

He laid it all out before the man in hollow tones.Emotion choked his voice close to sobs at times as well. He told him about everything. His mother's death at the young age of 16, what Aria had meant to him in that time of grief. Her decision to leave 3 years later, and her lack of explanation. Tai explained how he had blamed himself, about how after his mother died and Aria left, he had had to find a reason to live.

"And so I came to be here, to give my life to becoming a weapon against the Shadow." He finished. "Light Arath, it has been so long. So long, and now she simply waltzes back in? She doesn't belong here. Part of me wants to tell her to leave, that she no longer has a place in my life." Tai stood in agitation and his shoulders slumped despairingly. "And part of me longs to hear her tell me she loves me again." He dissolved into sobs once again as he landed heavily back in his seat. He knew he shouldn't be showing this kind of weakness in front of the man, even in front of Arath.

~You are a blithering fool. The man has better things to deal with than your childish problems.~ Tai was too weary to push Chaos away. Instead he simply ignored him. Hard to do with someone that was inside your head. Wiping his nose on his dirty coat, he looked up at Arath. "Can I at least channel my clothes clean? Or maybe you could do it, I'm filthy."