Various Issues

• Please log in to reply
589 replies to this topic

#41 Vasu

Vasu
  • Members
  • 144 posts

Posted 29 November 2008 - 09:31 AM

You know what? Making a gateway right behind yourself sounds awesome! Then I can get rid of that annoying itch on my back >.>

#42 mb

mb
  • Members
  • 5,126 posts

Posted 29 November 2008 - 03:37 PM

When using the Bowl of the Winds, Elayne sees saidin in addition to saidar.  Where did the saidin come from and how was Elayne able to detect it?

Can a Warder and the one that holds their bond know each other's dreams?

When Elayne and Aviendha become first sisters, was the channeling during the questions Compulsion?
That last channeling the Encyclopaedia site tells is something like the Warder bond.

#43 D24g0n

D24g0n
  • Members
  • 73 posts

Posted 29 November 2008 - 04:59 PM

When using the Bowl of the Winds, Elayne sees saidin in addition to saidar.  Where did the saidin come from and how was Elayne able to detect it?

Its been awhile, but I believe she just saw saidar weaving together with something, and figured it was saidin.  I think it was said that the saidin came from the bowl itself.

#44 Hybrid

Hybrid
  • Members
  • 2,453 posts

Posted 29 November 2008 - 08:55 PM

Its been awhile, but I believe she just saw saidar weaving together with something, and figured it was saidin.  I think it was said that the saidin came from the bowl itself.

Yeah, it was like Egwene seeing the ward around Callandor - she could tell there was something invisible present and therefore it was saidin.  The Bowl itself was drawing on saidin.

#45 Vasu

Vasu
  • Members
  • 144 posts

Posted 29 November 2008 - 11:55 PM

But Moiraine says that things cannot have the power. How can an object draw on the power, unless someone is making it?

#46 Nightstrike

Nightstrike
  • Members
  • 7,070 posts

Posted 30 November 2008 - 01:23 AM

But Moiraine says that things cannot have the power. How can an object draw on the power, unless someone is making it?

Maybe it's one of those "standing flows" that someone was talking about (was it Graendal?)? Moiraine could be misinformed...

#47 Luckers

Luckers

Hostile Witness

• Members
  • 14,970 posts

Posted 30 November 2008 - 02:55 AM

Quote from: mb on November 18, 2008, 02:58:01 PM
In Lord of Chaos, Alanna tells there was like 200 men at the Black Tower; how did she know?  I doubt it was through her Warder bond on Rand since Elayne was not able to know the conversation of when Birgitte was talking to Mat.  And I doubt she was close enough to eavesdrop with the One Power.

Though I now think there might have been a chance for her to come close enough to see.

Aes Sedai are quite (in)famous for having the best eyes&ears networks in the world. Once the Black Tower started to be something more than 4-5 scared peasants, it would have attracted spies, and Alanna probably heard from one of them.

Indeed, its directly stated Alanna found that out from one of her eyes and ears--a butcher, I believe. Possibly the same individual Alviarin cites as having counted the food carts that were going to the Black Tower--as i recall he was a green eyes and ears--may be wrong about that though, don't have my books on me. Makes sense for a butcher to have some inkling into that though.

Furthermore, Pevara directly states that there are eyes and ears within the Black Tower, just no Red ones within Taims servants.

The bowl drew the saidin--it also drew saidar by the way, beyond what was being channeled into it. As for how Elayne detected it--she says it clearly, she sees saidar bend strangely around something that wasn't there, and realises that it must be saidin.

Can a Warder and the one that holds their bond know each other's dreams?

Not by any description we've heard--and we have some directly of bonded people dreaming.

When Elayne and Aviendha become first sisters, was the channeling during the questions Compulsion?

The did not seem to be compelled in any way--far more it seemed that with their inclination to be honest with each other the binding became stronger. It was not the weave that compelled the answers, it was their willingness to answer that strengthened the weave.

She was giving a simplistic lesson to a girl who was not as yet even a novice--and as far as she went she was technically correct--these objects do not have the power, in and of themselves as Egwene assumed when she said that Moiraine's staff was very powerful. They are not naturally imbued--they were set to cause specific actions following specific ques set by livivng channelers.

That sort of sublety in terminology is beyond a country girl so new to the power, so Moiraine kept it simple.

She was however, technically correct. Objects do not have the power, but they can be set by a living mind to draw upon it in specific controlled ways.

Maybe it's one of those "standing flows" that someone was talking about (was it Graendal?)? Moiraine could be misinformed...

Mesaana told that to Alviarin. The standing flows so far as we know were tied off weaves set upon every ter'angreal so that they could be used by anyone whether they had the power or not. This is different to the ter'angreal drawing upon the power by itself once activated.

Moiraine was not wrong--she was just not overcomplicating things beyond Egwene's understanding. And Moiraine was more than aware of ter'angreal being able to draw upon the source by themselves--even assuming such knowledge wasn't common, she knew of the doorway ter'angreal in tear.

#48 Tyrell

Tyrell
  • Members
  • 726 posts

Posted 30 November 2008 - 08:49 AM

While we are talking about Saidin and Saidar, when a man and a woman are linked can everyone / whoever is in control see both types of flows? I'm not sure if it is ever specifically stated, but it seems that you must be able to see what you're weaving in order to weave it.

#49 Pixiedragon

Pixiedragon
  • Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 30 November 2008 - 10:50 AM

I think we'd have to use the description given when Rand and Nynaeve are linked to clean the taint, but I don't have access to my books at the moment so I can't look it up.
Wasn't it that Rand can actually touch Saidar through Nynaeve? While Nynaeve was still unable to see Saidin.

#50 ROB_88

ROB_88
  • Members
  • 957 posts

Posted 30 November 2008 - 02:28 PM

that might be an extension to the fact that Rand can feel when someone uses Saidar through goosebumps, but the Aes Sedai can not, except by usimg a special weave

#51 Guest_The Thin Inn Keeper_*

Guest_The Thin Inn Keeper_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 December 2008 - 05:00 AM

I would think that she is less important in the Pattern than a Taveren and perhaps many aes sedai. Is it possible that the auras around her appear infrequently and so she just never happens to have a mirror around when they do appear?

Wow.

The woman who probably saved Rands life after being stabbed by Ishy, the one who discovers something about the seals in the writings of Herid Fel, the one who helps Rand on a daily basis, and one of the women on the boat that takes him off into the distance is less important than an Aes Sedai?

You're aware that the vast majority of Aes Sedai have gone unamed and unmentioned during the series....?

We'll have to disagree on that one.

If she could see her own aura, she'd have seen it by now.

#52 Luckers

Luckers

Hostile Witness

• Members
  • 14,970 posts

Posted 03 December 2008 - 02:54 AM

While we are talking about Saidin and Saidar, when a man and a woman are linked can everyone / whoever is in control see both types of flows? I'm not sure if it is ever specifically stated, but it seems that you must be able to see what you're weaving in order to weave it.

In a dual sex link the person melding the flows can see the flows of the people in the link--specifically a woman could see the flows of saidin that she is wielding, but she cannot sense saidin being held (or presumably used--though thats uncertain) by a man outside the circle.

We know this based on Eben's need to declare Aran'gar.

#53 ROB_88

ROB_88
  • Members
  • 957 posts

Posted 03 December 2008 - 05:07 AM

this seems like the "ask anything"- topic i have a new question.

so i have a new one.
in TEoTW when the group is seperated and Rand is sick in a stable with Mat, we see a woman come in and kill them with some kind of burning knife. what is up with that knife, what's so special about it?
did Ishmael do something with it, or her even?

#54 Mr Ares

Mr Ares

We're here.

• Members
  • 7,128 posts

Posted 06 December 2008 - 06:27 AM

we see a woman come in and kill them with some kind of burning knife.

She kills them! Wow, to think I missed that. Anyway, there is no indication of Ishamael ever doing anything to her, nor giving her anything, as far as I can recall. Presumably, some sort of poison on the dagger.

#55 ROB_88

ROB_88
  • Members
  • 957 posts

Posted 06 December 2008 - 10:34 AM

oh, my bad. tried to kill them
but what kind of poison could possibly make it burn the wood?

#56 Mr Ares

Mr Ares

We're here.

• Members
  • 7,128 posts

Posted 07 December 2008 - 05:25 AM

but what kind of poison could possibly make it burn the wood?

I don't know, I'm not a poisoner. And I'm pretty sure it was never stated. Just shrug and say magic knife.

#57 Luckers

Luckers

Hostile Witness

• Members
  • 14,970 posts

Posted 07 December 2008 - 08:52 AM

Presumably it was a knife made by the Forgers of thakan'dar--much akin to the Myrdraal blades, or even the much weaker and more pathetic Trolloc weapons.

The woman we are talking about is Mili Skane. She went to the Tower as a girl, but after she was rejected she became a darkfriend and in time became one of the Shadow's most successful assasins. She stood high in the Shadow--and still does. These days she is known as the Lady Shiane Avarin--being the woman in charge of Falion, the woman who killed Carridan.

Basically the point is that she was important--and thus had access to thakan'dar wrought blades.

#58 Hybrid

Hybrid
  • Members
  • 2,453 posts

Posted 07 December 2008 - 10:12 PM

we see a woman come in and kill them with some kind of burning knife.

She kills them!

I have won again, Lews Therin.
I wonder what the second half of that book dealt with.  Probably the messy fates of the remaining main characters.

#59 Jethro

Jethro
  • Members
  • 507 posts

Posted 08 December 2008 - 06:40 AM

Do we know what a binder is guys?

Graendal mentions it when watching the Shaido with Sammael. She says something like "I wouldnt spend much time/effort on [Sevanna, I think it was]. Or do you have a binder among your toys?" The wording isnt bob on, but from heR comment I gather that she wouldnt trust Sevanna without something like a binder, as if it would force Sevanna to do her bidding.

Makes me wonder whether or not it is a binder that put Isam and Luc together. From Luc and Isam we have already gathered that while both "identities" retain memories and personalities, both are one. As Slayer, Luc and Isams memories are always present whichever identity Slayer chooses, each identity retains their likes/dislikes and whatnot. Maybe Isam used a binder on Luc (or had someone perform the ritual for him) and thus gained Luc as a disposable identity.

#60 ChronoCrosS

ChronoCrosS
  • Members
  • 3,085 posts

Posted 08 December 2008 - 08:45 AM

What about when Lanfear was fighting Rand right before Moiraine kills her. It says Rand was lashing out with the power and Lanfear was neatly slicing away his flows and I believe Rand was doing the same. Could they see each others flows at that time?