DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Various Issues

mb

Aes Sedia & Warders generally use aliases when introducing themselves to strangers.  Nobles and Two Rivers seem to be the main exceptions.  Nobles I think I understand.  But why Two Rivers?

• Replies 641
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Two rivers was considered the back end of the world but as Az said folks did know about it for its Tabac.  Though quite likely the average person couldn't fins it on a map.  I don't remember why Thom said he was in the Two Rivers for but my guess is the pattern made sure he was there.  Also as he was a wanted man by the Queen and hated Aes Sedai it could be he was just looking for an out of the way place to hang out for a bit.

Thinking back to EOTW, didn't the Village Council of Emonds Field specifically order in a Gleeman for the festival?

Yeah:

“What sort of place is this?” the gleeman demanded in a deep voice that sounded in some way larger than that of an ordinary man. Even in the open air it seemed to fill a great room and resonate from the walls. “The yokels in that village on the hill tell me I can get here before dark, neglecting to say that that was only if I left well before noon. When I finally do arrive, chilled to the bone and ready for a warm bed, your innkeeper grumbles about the hour as if I were a wandering swineherd and your Village Council hadn’t begged me to display my art at this festival of yours. And he never even told me he was the Mayor.” He slowed for a breath, taking them all in with a glare, but he was off again on the instant. “When I came downstairs to smoke my pipe before the fire and have a mug of ale, every man in the common room stares at me as if I were his least favorite brother-in-law seeking to borrow money. One old grandfather starts ranting at me about the kind of stories I should or should not tell, then a girl-child shouts at me to get out, and threatens me with a great club when I don’t move quickly enough for her. Who ever heard of treating a gleeman so?”

Robert Jordan (1990-01-15 00:00:00-05:00). The Eye of the World (Kindle Locations 1008-1016). Macmillan. Kindle Edition.

He's familiar with Baerlon (there's another quote about it being one of the last places in the world for news to arrive), presumably he was wandering around the villages in that area, the village council sent someone to find a performer and he's the one they came across.

• 1 month later...

Knife of Dreams chapter 7 tells how Bethamin started to channel.  the scene seems to tell that it was non-intentional; yet she was a learner.  how is that?

The books tell the fates of Aridhol and Manetheren.  What exactly happened to the other nations of that time period?

Basically all that known about the rest of the the 10 nations is from the BWB:

"Many nations were destroyed outright in the trolloc wars, and the population shifts were massive.  Aelgar, Eharon, Essenia, Jaramide, and Safer survived after a fashion, but much weakened and impoverished.  Within fifty years of the Trolloc Wars new nations appeared, hammered together from the wreckage of ruined lands.  The century immediately following the wars was one of great turmoil.  The 5 nations that outlived the wars fell to their own internal weaknesses as the new nations struggled to establish firm borders.  Only Tar Valon and the White Tower of the Aes Sedai remained whole."

So seems Aridhol, Manetheren, Coremanda, Almoren, and Armaelle didn't survive to the end of the trolloc wars.    While Aelgar, Eharon, Essenia, Safer, and Jaramide survived somewhat but at the most lasted a century before falling.

my other question re-phrased::

how could Bethamin's first time channeling be non-intentional (since she was a learner)?

It's a turn of phrase. 

She was saying she didn't intend to channel and it was just an accident. 

Also, a Sul'dam gradually learns to channel herself the more she spends time working with damane. After some time they begin to - unbeknownst to themselves - "learn" and the ability is brought out. 

The Seanchan seem to have no knowledge of any type of wards; even after capturing channelers that knew how to create them.  how come?

what are the general genetics of each nation?  mainly the genetics that determine appearance.

Wards might not t seem important or it just never occured to them.  They seem to focus mostly on making them good for combat.  For guards and such they seem content to use some of the exotic animals.  when they catch a channeler who can already channel the first thing they do is break them and then train them.  There probably isn't much show me what you know stuff going on.

it not occurring to them, it being unimportant to them; both came to my mind at some point.

my question about genetics; I recall these::

-Aiel:  tall, lite shaded hair & eyes

-Cairhien: short, and I think dark hair & eyes

-Arad Doman:  copper colored skin

-southern nations:  dark skin

-Andor royal line:  similar to Aiel

-Seanchan imperial family:  dark skin

I might be wrong about some of those; though for sure info is missing.

Multiple times in this series, objects have been made from channeling alone.  (Mostly swords and balls of light.)

Can such objects become permanent?  If so, how?  If not, why?

Yes, by tying off the flow.  As others mentioned it depends on the knot.  We've seen channelers tie off flows loosely or permanently, such as with Lanfear shielding Asmodean.  Yes, she lied.  He was done for, but she gave him hope that it would loosen over time.  We never saw any increase in what he could wield in the months that he was teaching Rand.  We see some complications to permanently tied off weaves such as Rand's Gateway block that shrank.  This might have been a reaction to Asmo lacing his weave through it to visually block sight through it, or the crushing power of gateways.  Channelers exhaust themselves maintaining them as we've seen with the problems encountered by Perrin trying to send people home in later books after he rescues Faile.  They could tie them open, but there seems to be an implied danger that this is not stable for long periods, yet we then se in Rand's world construction with the DO in the last book that permanent gateways exist like windows to other places in the Caemlyn palace, so flip a coin.  Maybe size matters?  Maybe numbers of open gateways matter?  If not, Seafolk could borrow an angreal and form a full circle to open holes ships could go through and have them as portals, cities could have traveling grounds and hubs where one can simply walk through a few gateways in a matter or minutes and travel anywhere.  It seems to be more of a book limitation so the author doesn't get too wild and crazy with ideas and so readers understand that there are limitations.

• 3 weeks later...

a question rephrased::  what are the most common genes in each nation?

another question::

the Tuatha'an (and the Aiel) were part of the Dashain; yet a portion of wetlanders have joined the Tuatha'an.

roughly how many Tuatha'an fit each of these (in terms of their genes)?

-fully Dashain

-fully wetlander

-Dashain & wetlander mix

• 2 months later...

additional questions::

can channeling alone produce specific materials?  If so, can those be used by anyone to make things?

Gateways

what is the biggest that could ever be made?  and how far can it go?

what is the farthest that could ever be made?  and how big can it be?

and what would be the minimum number of channelers required to make either?  with or without angreal/sa'angreal.

• 2 months later...

the ageless face; does it come suddenly after some time or is it a gradual process?  if gradual, what are the stages in between?  I know the Oath Rod causes it.

the foxhead medallion dispels direct weaves.  might balefire be an exception on that?

another question about the medallion:  can any weave damage and/or destroy it (when not touching the skin of anyone)?

about something else:  oaths made with an oath binding terangreal; can they be removed from another (of same and/or different type)?

fealty/obedience oaths; what would happen to the oaths when the fealty/obedience target dies?

Archived